Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb in world dropped on Afghanistan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,872 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Awwww

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gatling wrote: »
    America​ used smaller Daisy cutters in Vietnam bombs and russia dropped numerous of their version in Grozny and other Chechnya cities ,
    The Americans were using similar weapons in Afghanistan back in 2001, with the 15,000 pound BLU-82 which only cost $27,000 each vs $16 million for the MOAB
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/nov/07/afghanistan.terrorism6

The economics are insane. A million dollar bill weigh one tonne. This bomb cost more than it's weight in dollar bills. So this is a PR stunt. No new capability. Just more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/us-drops-largest-nonnuclear-bomb-on-afghanistan-21000lb-moab-used-for-first-time-35621197.html

This world is a crazy place. Do they even give a damn for the innocent people who happen to live in that area

Should have dropped a nuclear bomb and that would have softened a few coughs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And then there's this,

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/pentagon-plan-for-make-love-not-war-with-gay-bomb-1.1210320
    The Pentagon has admitted that it considered a proposal to love-bomb enemy troops with an aphrodisiac that would turn them gay and encourage uncontrolled sexual activity. Chemical weapons researchers believed that, after being sprayed with the chemical, enemy soldiers would be so busy making love in mass gay orgies that they would stop fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I still think they should've added a bit of white phosphorus

That would have been a nice touch

Iceing sugar on the cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

At last, a POTUS who walks the walk, unlike the last useless apologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, that's right. I suppose that will deal with all the baddies. And damn all those civilians who happen to live near Achin district of the Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan.

The moment an enemy realises you balk at the notion of civilian casualties, they stick a dozen families in every hideout they have.

It's not pleasant and you try to minimize it but collateral damage is the cost of waging war in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

America is getting what they voted for. They voted for a tougher President than Obama, a different direction on foreign policy naturally when you have someone with the aggression of Trump. I have to say I have agreed with much of his foreign policy decisions so far.

So you agree with trump attacking assad for bombing civilians, and for bombing civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Billy86 wrote: »
    There is no falsehood that he ran on "bombing the sh*t" out of the middle east, or on the fact that drone strikes have gone up by more than 400% since he took office, these are facts. Now while I doubt he sought out the specific bomb because the guy isn't exactly educated on much of any of the aspects of his job, my reckoning is that someone high up in the army suggested it knowing how eager he is for any possible distractions in recent weeks, and he more than happily jumped on the opportunity having seen the 'success' of the Syrian attack on that front.

The bomb has been around for 14 years, yet gets set off in Trump's first 100 days which says all it needs to say. Still, it should keep the Russia talk off his back over Easter weekend, and that's all Trump cares about - Trump.

Just read a report this attack has been in planning for months and required zero congressional or presidential approval as it was in an active warzone. The notion trump had any part in it is complete nonsense. Just to clarify, I'm not saying this to defend trump, I'm calling you out for telling lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Blowing up a few mountians didn't make much measurable difference against the Taliban in 2001

The whole point of "so called" IS is that it's everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Big bombs are a waste of money in an age of asymmetrical warfare.

300 million too. Although that might be a bit like the Gards "street value" estimates on drugs seizures. There's probably a bomb-scientist somewhere in the States going "300 million..what? wait, we only got 500k for it??"

Followed by some Airforce bean counter standing in front of an accounts committee a year later going "Yes, erm, honest, it was 300 million..:o...that 300 million"small hole in the books" we couldn't account for last year...this was it.."
    The us defence budget is $639,000,000,000. Doubt they will miss 300,000,000!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 netherlands15

should have dropped it in west berlin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The us defence budget is $639,000,000,000. Doubt they will miss 300,000,000!

Shame the fcukers plead poverty when it comes to peoples health issues,. eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

ricero wrote: »
    The donald kicking isis ass and putting them in body bags yet the liberals still complain.

I welcome this. Its time we destroy isis and not let them grow like obama did

More will take their place

More will take their place

That sounds like a threat almost :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ISIS, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A similarsized napalm and white phosphorus bomb would've been good too

Would it have been as effective as literally eating all the oxygen in a cave system? Probably not to be fair.

Have to agree with can't make an omelette without breaking eggs sentiment, I've had a gander at the region on Google Maps and it looks empty as fook, ISIS have been the main men there for a long while and it seems to have been a base for them in Afghanistan. Collateral damage can go and ****e if they got some of the bastards, as well as munitions or supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

kona wrote: »
    Eh it's not a nuclear weapon. It doesn't have the components for a nuclear weapons.

It's a massive bomb.

Eh "considered", not "literally".

And has been pointed out like 3 times and I've accepted I was wrong. Anything for a one up 6 pages later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Any comment from the Hillary Clinton supporters?

Their candidate was the biggest war-shill neo-con going (the woman never found a war she didn't approve of) , and just last week (on other forums) they were insisting that Trump had ordered the attack on the Syrian airport only with prior agreement from the Syrian military/government + Putin, so I'm just curious as to what they are saying now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Any comment from the Hillary Clinton supporters?

Their candidate was the biggest war-shill neo-con going (the woman never found a war she didn't approve of) , and just last week (on other forums) they were insisting that Trump had ordered the attack on the Syrian airport only with prior agreement from the Syrian military/government + Putin, so I'm just curious as to what they are saying now!

Meanwhile on msnbc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Drain Brain

Well the military who advise him and who obviously know a lot more about the situation than anyone on this forum felt it would damage Isis so that's good enough for me.

Yeah because they were spot on with Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Beyondgone wrote: »
    It's a fuel air blast bomb too - especially horrific for anyone in the blast radius. The zone hit is deoxygenated instantly and scorched by intensely high temperatures. Nasty weapon.
    So, how effective is it against an underground enemy base, versus a truck bomb hitting a densely populated public space?
    A similarsized napalm and white phosphorus bomb would've been good too
    Completely fcuking useless. It would have burned a few trees, but when the MOAB dropped, the underground base which it landed over caused cave-in's underground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

I would like to know the damage & casualties of this action.

Would you really? Everything within a mile or 2 of this is destroyed. Can you imagine what is left of livestock? Fcuk it though.....nice to test a thermobaric bomb for the craic,

Luggnuts wrote: »
    Would you really? Everything within a mile or 2 of this is destroyed. Can you imagine what is left of livestock? Fcuk it though.....nice to test a thermobaric bomb for the craic,

The effective blast radius in which everything would be destroyed is actually a few hundred metres. The worst you could expect a mile out would be shattered glass etc. This wasnt a test for the craic either it was a strategic strike on an IS stronghold.

Also just read that the 300mil figure being tossed around is actually the price of the entire program of bombs produced (15 known) and the individual price of each device is around 16mil...which is still fairly insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Can you imagine what is left of livestock? Fcuk

Won't somebody think of the camels, Joe! Sure; Any lads crawling out of those tunnels would have nothing left to ride! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 netherlands15

AFTER THE LAST STRIKE WE GOT STOCKHOLM

I WOULDN'T LIKE TO BE IN A EUROPEAN CAPITAL CITY TOMORROW,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Yes I would, do you find that a problem ? Your worried about the ****ing livestock :confused: & it wasn't tested for the craic , now carry on with your faux outrage etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Apparently they killed 36 IS militants in the strike. Other reports say "at least 100" casualties on the IS side.

The Afghan authorities have also ruled out any civilian casualties too, something which I find quite hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    The Afghan authorities have also ruled out any civilian casualties too, something which I find quite hard to believe.

Any word on the camel death toll?

• Advertisement

The governor of the province said it was the biggest explosion he'd ever seen.

Advertisement