Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV insurance prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OFF TOPIC
    What is the story with the Euro symbol changing to " € "? I've noticed this in the past couple of days and it's bothering the sh!t out of me. It can be fixed if you go in and edit a post, but this is ridiculous. Or am I just seeing the weird symbol? It's all over Peposhi's post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Trump?
    Brexit?
    North Korea?
    ISIS?

Haven't a clue!

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

goz83 wrote: »
    OFF TOPIC
    What is the story with the Euro symbol changing to " € "? I've noticed this in the past couple of days and it's bothering the sh!t out of me. It can be fixed if you go in and edit a post, but this is ridiculous. Or am I just seeing the weird symbol? It's all over Peposhi's post
    Yeah...meant to look that up. At work, it doesn't seem to be an issue. On my laptop at home, it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That sucks DrPhilG. She doesn't have much ambition - selling her soul for a measily €5000. The insurance company would have notified you of the full cost of the claim - did the €5k include legal costs - or was that another €5k? I'm not suggesting for a second that someone should consider putting in a more substantial claim but I don't think it reflects well on the intelligence and of course morals of the other party.

I used to work on risk related software a few years back. One of the stakeholders told us that 5k was a sweet spot for claims as in up to that it wasn't worth fighting because of the costs involved. After that it was.

I used to work on risk related software a few years back. One of the stakeholders told us that 5k was a sweet spot for claims as in up to that it wasn't worth fighting because of the costs involved. After that it was.

Sounds logical to me that they wouldn't fight it (unless it's totally frivolous and the insurer has all their ducks in a row in smothering it). Bizarre that they changed the policy. The legal professionals will tack on a substantial chunk onto the overall cost of claim (not to mention extra time spent on dealing with claim, etc.).

When I filled out their online form, it just looked for partial details - the rest I gave them over the phone (including the points).
    Before the phonecall, I got this email =>

Quote 1 Comprehensive Cover 411.42 euro Zurich - Motorstar
    I assume the points are the difference.
    Is it possible just to pay for a quater and cancel?? Are there any repercussions?
    I just gave the guy full payment via credit card. However, there is something like a 14 day cooling off period (and my renewal doesn't actually kick in until the 13th May).Any thoughts?
    I checked this out with the broker who came back with this;
    "The quote you received online was a ‘quick quote’ which not only does it not include penalty points as you mention but is based on other factors for example main area of use being County XXXX (as you inputted a County XXXX address), bonus protection not included and other factors. The quick quote is designed as an indictive guide only"
    Given that Full NCB protection is a big chunk together with the loading no the penalty points, I'm quite happy that I've gotten the best deal going.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

We are shopping around for quotes as well. Wife rang Zurich as they are kind of on the ball with it compared to other Insurers. However she was told that we cannot buy Insurance of them as she is not the main driver (physically), but I am. Claims would not work. They had to ask their underwriters about it, but it's a no from them.

Tried other crowds now. 123.ie gives 571.92 EUR Full Comp.

Will report on findings as we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If the insurance currently is in your name, you need to ring them and get a quote for you. Make sure you add your wife as a named driver. This is cheaper than not mentioning your wife at all! You should be able to get a very decent quote, presuming you at this stage have Irish licenses an a full NCB? I'm hoping for €300-€400 fully comprehensive for my new Ioniq on my next renewal.

I usually sort out the motor insurance...both mine and the wifes. I just ring up and get a quote on her behalf. Has never once been an issue in many years and dozens of calls.

• Advertisement

The car is registered in her name, I am just driving it :-]

Mope wrote: »

Then it should not be a problem. Ring and get quote on her behalf. I have done this and often went ahead and bought the policy for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I got my insurance for the year. Cheapest I've ever gotten it at 425. Exactly half the price of last year!!!

Which insurer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

n97 mini wrote:
    I'd prefer to have the cost per kWh just added to our domestic bill, at the same rate as we currently pay for domestic electricity so that it still pays to shop around.

n97 mini wrote:
    A monthly sub would be a disaster. We charge between zero and twice a month on a public CP, and we already pay a monthly sub (standing charge) in the house.

Fbd. They said 575 but now I have no penalty points. I am with the 2 years already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Don't do too much of that as if they catch you out........

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Don't do too much of that as if they catch you out........

They can't in reality

I see no specific insurance advantage in an EV

Zurich was 900 for EV , AA came in at 350 , fully comp , two drivers

I am not really following this... How is it relevant who is main who is not. I am insured as a driver so we paid all what is required to use the car legally.

We had a car bumped in to us last winter in wicklow and there was no issues at all as to who was driving. Zurich rep just had a brain fart there on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Her's just renewed. 161 leaf: €440 fully comp with 2 addittional drivers. thats up from €350 last year.

I am not really following this... How is it relevant who is main who is not. I am insured as a driver so we paid all what is required to use the car legally.

We had a car bumped in to us last winter in wicklow and there was no issues at all as to who was driving. Zurich rep just had a brain fart there on the phone.

There is no issue , he's just stirring :D

So.... after ringing around... below is paste from excel (so pardon the look). In Short we are thinking about Allianz as AIG is 557 before you Install App (the one which tracks your drives and etc).

Quotes from AA and AXA is ridiculous.

Company Annual Premium Excess Comments
    FBD 700 200
    AIG 557 250 Full NCB protection
    123.ie (RSA) 550 300
    AXA 1066 - - Don’t care
    Aviva
    Zurich - - Said can’t insure if registered owner is not main driver
    Liberty 661.64 300 760 if Full NCB
    AA 1210.46 Don’t care
    Allianz 552.25 250 Full NCB

• Advertisement

Quotes from AA and AXA is ridiculous.
    I don't know what algorithm the AA are using but they have consistently been absolutely ridiculous price-wise for me for the past 14 years. They always ring me up - so I always give them the opportunity to quote - and it's always the same.

Of course, there is never consistency between insurers - and they obviously have a target market of some sort (see Boatmad's AA quote further above).

350 fully comp from AA? What?!? Clearly targeting very specific people

Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Has anyone tried getting insurtance for a new Model S or X?

unkel wrote: »
    Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself :pac:

We are all what you wrote above
    both 32, both Irish licenses (changed them because of Insurance reasons and got 0 EUR discounts from everywhere), both no penalties on record.

Insurance is madness in Ireland... everyone agrees with this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Just doing this now for the Zoe.

Quotes include full no claims protection

Zurich : 388.74

25Plus.ie: 373.78

Liberty: 392.44

Renewal with Aviva: 440.24

got the best price for the ICE from 25plus earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We are all what you wrote above
    both 32, both Irish licenses (changed them because of Insurance reasons and got 0 EUR discounts from everywhere), both no penalties on record.

Insurance is madness in Ireland... everyone agrees with this :mad:

I tick all those boxes as well, except the OAP one, and I got it for €350 from Zurich in Jan.

Your location plays a part as well.

Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself

at 56 i hope not !!! ( Interesting adding me to SWMBOs policy , the Leaf is technically hers!!!, dropped the insurance cost considerably ) . Both of us have 5+ years no claims, no penalty points

Intertesing the highest quote was from the renewal , 900 euros, zurch was 800, Axa , 650, AA 350 ( 348 actuaaly ) fully comp, 2 step backs on NCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, got my notice the other week, without doing anything I am down to 705 from 1200 last year....my 1 years NCB helping....

Just wondering do Leaf/Ioniq have a tracking system on them? I can find my car anywhere in work via app/laptop. Can I use this for insurance?

IONIQ does not unless you install one yourself I think.

We went with Allianz in the end - 485 Fully Comp and NCB protection too.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, got my notice the other week, without doing anything I am down to 705 from 1200 last year....my 1 years NCB helping....

Just wondering do Leaf/Ioniq have a tracking system on them? I can find my car anywhere in work via app/laptop. Can I use this for insurance?

2016 Leaf has GPS tracking , you can see the location of the car on the app, works 24/7 even if car switched off

Nice feature!

BoatMad wrote: »
    2016 Leaf has GPS tracking , you can see the location of the car on the app, works 24/7 even if car switched off
    Can it be switched off at will? Just thinking of personal data/privacy?

I wouldn't want GPS tracking on any of my cars! And I most certainly would not want an insurance company to have access to it!!!

Aiming for about €350 fully comp for the Ioniq come next renewal

Just renewed my Porsche, convertible 2 seater, mid engine, RWD. No modern drivers aids, so a pretty wild thing. Fully comp, €287

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wouldn't want GPS tracking on any of my cars! And I most certainly would not want an insurance company to have access to it!!!

Aiming for about €350 fully comp for the Ioniq come next renewal

Just renewed my Porsche, convertible 2 seater, mid engine, RWD. No modern drivers aids, so a pretty wild thing. Fully comp, €287

Why not? If someone steals the car I can pull up on the app and tell the Garda exactly where the car is, has to reduce the insurance

I don't think you have to give your insurance company access to it

Can it be switched off at will? Just thinking of personal data/privacy?

yes it can be switched off in the settings section ( from memory ) . I leave it on all the time , each time the leaf powers up, it asks you to confirm your happy to share the cars telemetry with nissan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not? If someone steals the car I can pull up on the app and tell the Garda exactly where the car is, has to reduce the insurance

I don't think you have to give your insurance company access to it

Insurance companies can have sneaky ways to get at data they are not supposed to get at

And I would have to go explain that I was doing those speeds on a private road. That runs just a few meters beside and parallel to the M4 :p

yes it can be switched off in the settings section ( from memory ) . I leave it on all the time , each time the leaf powers up, it asks you to confirm your happy to share the cars telemetry with nissan

What if a thief turns the power on and then hits "decline" for sharing telemetry? Does that mean the vehicle can't be tracked?

I must say that it is the most annoying thing about my 141 Leaf. Having to accept/decline the same bloody message every single time. Why on earth didn't they just put it in as a setting in the menu....ideally with a password if someone wanted to change the setting....

That message when you start the car is the most annoying in the Ioniq too. Until I realised that if you do nothing, the message just disappears after a few seconds :D

• Advertisement

That message when you start the car is the most annoying in the Ioniq too. Until I realised that if you do nothing, the message just disappears after a few seconds :D

Not in the Leaf. A few times I have almost reached my destination when I see the thing is still displaying. Usually when I am in a hurry and don't bother to look at the display

What if a thief turns the power on and then hits "decline" for sharing telemetry? Does that mean the vehicle can't be tracked?

I must say that it is the most annoying thing about my 141 Leaf. Having to accept/decline the same bloody message every single time. Why on earth didn't they just put it in as a setting in the menu....ideally with a password if someone wanted to change the setting....

I understand EU data protection law does not allow that

I understand EU data protection law does not allow that

If the registered owner has put it into settings and there is a telemetry warning upon start-up, there would be no data protection issues.

If the registered owner has put it into settings and there is a telemetry warning upon start-up, there would be no data protection issues.

The system cannot assume the identify of the driver.

Just in the same way that the " use of cookies" law in the EU requires you to acknowledge it each time.

For example I might be the registered owner , but that is not sufficient for me to allow the car to transmit data when my wife , for example is driving

Hence the requirement to ask each time.

it can't be got around under current Eu law

The system cannot assume the identify of the driver.

Just in the same way that the " use of cookies" law in the EU requires you to acknowledge it each time.

For example I might be the registered owner , but that is not sufficient for me to allow the car to transmit data when my wife , for example is driving

Hence the requirement to ask each time.

it can't be got around under current Eu law

Really?

Wife gets into car owned by Husband who has accepted the terms and conditions. She presses the power button and something like

"this vehicle will send information to Nissan/The Guv/Madonna including location, battery temperature, speed etc etc. You agree to these terms by driving this vehicle. If you do not agree, please contact the registered owner to disable telemetry"

I have visited many websites where the cookies message does not require you to accept cookies manually, but acceptance is assumed if you continue to navigate the website. They use the implied consent rule.

"this vehicle will send information to Nissan/The Guv/Madonna including location, battery temperature, speed etc etc. You agree to these terms by driving this vehicle. If you do not agree, please contact the registered owner to disable telemetry"

my understanding is you can only " opt in " to data sharing , not opt-out under EU data protection

• Advertisement

my understanding is you can only " opt in " to data sharing , not opt-out under EU data protection

I googled "eu cookies law" and the first result was https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/

When I visited the page on my pad, a pop up footer banner displayed and said that unless I changed the cookie settings, I was agreeing to cookies by continuing to use the site. There is also relevant info on the site page.

I googled "eu cookies law" and the first result was https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/

When I visited the page on my pad, a pop up footer banner displayed and said that unless I changed the cookie settings, I was agreeing to cookies by continuing to use the site. There is also relevant info on the site page.

EU data protection law is complex but heres a relevant comment
    The basic rule that applies to direct marketing is that you need the consent of the individual to use their personal data for direct marketing purposes. As a minimum, an individual must be given a right to refuse such use of their personal data both at the time the data is collected (an "opt-out") and, in the case of direct marketing by electronic means, on every subsequent marketing message. The "opt-out" right must be free of charge.

so for example , you could have a global opt-out , but th opt-in would have to be agreed on a driver by driver basis

EU data protection law is complex but heres a relevant comment

so for example , you could have a global opt-out , but th opt-in would have to be agreed on a driver by driver basis

By refusing to continue to use the vehicle, the driver would be opting out. Only people with the password to change the settings could login and choose to select the manual opt-out and continue to use the vehicle. This could also be done with finger print recognition, or a simple keypad password. The point ios that the driver (not necessarily the person with the password) can still opt-out by choosing not to use the vehicle. This is what many websites use.

By refusing to continue to use the vehicle, the driver would be opting out. Only people with the password to change the settings could login and choose to select the manual opt-out and continue to use the vehicle. This could also be done with finger print recognition, or a simple keypad password. The point ios that the driver (not necessarily the person with the password) can still opt-out by choosing not to use the vehicle. This is what many websites use.

Sorry , in EU Data protection law, if you wish to use information about someone, you must specifically seek there consent. That consent cannot be assumed.

you can allow a person to opt-out , where they decide to opt-in, that information can only be used at that point. SO for example , if you are collecting location information , You must offer the person an opt-out every time you seek to collect new data

and opt-out that requires the car to be not used is nonsense

I dont know why you are arguing , When I was speaking to the Nissan product manager about this , he indicated that this was the basis of EU data protection law and Nissan could not change the process to a default " opt-in"

Sorry , in EU Data protection law, if you wish to use information about someone, you must specifically seek there consent. That consent cannot be assumed.

you can allow a person to opt-out , where they decide to opt-in, that information can only be used at that point. SO for example , if you are collecting location information , You must offer the person an opt-out every time you seek to collect new data

and opt-out that requires the car to be not used is nonsense

I dont know why you are arguing , When I was speaking to the Nissan product manager about this , he indicated that this was the basis of EU data protection law and Nissan could not change the process to a default " opt-in"

I don't agree with your view on the subject though. I build websites and spend quite a bit of time online. About 90% of websites use cookies and many of them don't require the user to manually click to accept cookies (unless you wan't to get rid of the banner). Once the person continues to use the website, they have agreed to opt-in.

I am putting the same logic to the use of the car. The vehicle owner would be the one who configures the settings and controls the password. The password could be shared with anyone he/she wishes and it could even be disabled and would enable any driver to disable the telemetry.

Product managers are often ex sales people and pretend to know it all, rather than just admitting they're not sure about something. So, I wouldn't hold too much faith in what a product manager said about an EU law.

edited to add: Think about using a GPS, or a phone. Your data can be collected and you are not manually opting into that. You aren't asked to opt in if you borrow someones phone to send a whats app message and a car thief isn't opting in to share his/her location when he/she steals a car with a vehicle tracker and cam installed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement