Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV insurance prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That sucks DrPhilG. She doesn't have much ambition - selling her soul for a measily €5000.

Phil used the pound sign so I guess it was up North. Down here it would have been more like €50k :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah £5k sterling. Although I am from Donegal so it's an Irish insurance company. Surprised they didn't offer to double the claim.

Her legal bill was another few thousand. Total cost of the claim about €11k.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah £5k sterling. Although I am from Donegal so it's an Irish insurance company. Surprised they didn't offer to double the claim.

Very cheap considering what's going on here in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's the type of claim, insurance cos settle. Not big enough to waste time and legal on. Shur us the policy holders are paying anyway. And you don't have the choice of contesting the fraudelent claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Unfortunately it happens.....fraudulent claims. Whiplash being an easy few grand for scummers. It also happens the other way around where genuine injuries receive much lower levels of compensation than would be reasonable for various reasons. It usually boils down to the insurer wanting to settle quickly and cheaply and they employ every nasty method they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Ok, job done.
    futureinsurance.ie
    Fully Comp : €565
    Excess = €250; Breakdown Assistance; Full NCB Protection; Windscreen cover; 3rd Party cover on driving other cars; Cover on damage to locks. Policy underwritten by Zurich.

This worked out the cheapest. As you can see, it pays to shop around. I'd imagine I can do a lot better next year once penalty points drop off (and of course, if I dropped protected no claims bonus, that would represent a further saving - but I couldn't do without it).

Hope this has been of some benefit to others in terms of insurance rates for EV's and shopping for insurance generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Did you ask what it'd be if you didn't have any points?
    Or would it be worth your while to cancel the policy in July and start again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just out of interest, what are people tactics for insurance? normally I take a day and just start ringing everyone and seeing what I end up with

Soarer wrote: »
    Did you ask what it'd be if you didn't have any points?
    Or would it be worth your while to cancel the policy in July and start again?

When I filled out their online form, it just looked for partial details - the rest I gave them over the phone (including the points).

Before the phonecall, I got this email =>

Quote 1 Comprehensive Cover 411.42 euro Zurich - Motorstar

I assume the points are the difference.

Is it possible just to pay for a quater and cancel?? Are there any repercussions?

I just gave the guy full payment via credit card. However, there is something like a 14 day cooling off period (and my renewal doesn't actually kick in until the 13th May).

Any thoughts?

Really don't know, sorry.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Really don't know, sorry.

Anyone got the knowledge on this - really would be appreciative as could save me a further €153 potentially.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what are people tactics for insurance? normally I take a day and just start ringing everyone and seeing what I end up with

+1

Althought the past 3 years I was stuck with same insurer because I had an open claim against someone. Clear cut rear ending and I was still penalised.
    Anyone got the knowledge on this - really would be appreciative as could save me a further €153 potentially.

The admin fee is a good €50. I wouldn't bother tbh.

So I have done some looking

Blue Insurance - same price as last year I think (1158)
    123 - Couldn't find car and eGolf not even an option
    FBD - No quote online, ring them.....
    AXA 715 Comp or 666 3rd party
    Liberty 961 Comp and 643 3rd party

Done so far....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So I have done some looking

Blue Insurance - same price as last year I think (1158)
    123 - Couldn't find car and eGolf not even an option
    FBD - No quote online, ring them.....
    AXA 715 Comp or 666 3rd party
    Liberty 961 Comp and 643 3rd party

Done so far....

Make sure you get them all to compare like with like ref. excess amount and any other essentials eg. breakdown cover, windscreen, driving other cars on 3rd party, etc. Caution ref. online quotes - take heed of the 'assumptions'.

Make sure you get them all to compare like with like ref. excess amount and any other essentials eg. breakdown cover, windscreen, driving other cars on 3rd party, etc. Caution ref. online quotes - take heed of the 'assumptions'.

Aware of all this, I only use online to get a guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

unkel wrote: »
    Getting a refund of about €100 for the 10 months until renewal after switching from a €500 banger to a brand new €30k EV :D

Expecting a premium of around €400 next year (in Dublin), Full NCB, no claim ever made, full Irish license 30+ years (wife about 12 years)

Same here. I rang the insurance company a few days ago to get an idea about how much more I would have to pay for converting the insurance from a banger valed at E500 fully comp to a E15k 2015 EV fully comp. I will get a refund!

Go figure.
    Someone needs a new set of algorithms.

Im with AIG, by the way

There you go. No doubt, she's a reprobate. However, how as a society have we come to accept that GBP6,000 (or 55% of the overall claim) in legal fees is acceptable, ethical or anything other than criminal?

I'll take a guess that this matter never made it anywhere near court. Given the pawltry sum that the claimant settled for (what's termed 'nuisance money' in the trade), it must have settled in double-quick time. The solicitor spent little to no time on that for his/her GBP6,000 . To me, the bigger scumbag is the one in the suit - yet we accept them as upstanding members of the community.

Anyway, you get my point (but I best leave it at that as I'm veering off topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There you go. No doubt, she's a reprobate. However, how as a society have we come to accept that GBP6,000 (or 55% of the overall claim) in legal fees is acceptable, ethical or anything other than criminal?

Back up...

I said her legal fees were a few thousand. Not £6k.

Her car = £1400
    Her PI claim = £5000
    Her solicitor - £1500

Her total - £7900 / €9500

My car - €1000

Plus a few extras like rental cars on both sides during repairs etc. Again my car could have been fixed a lot cheaper but as I was already being stiffed for her claim I just let the insurance company fix mine by whatever method they chose.

@PhilG : Understood. Notwithstanding that, was a solicitor really necessary? Did they do anything other than write a couple of letters? For that level of settlement, I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

When I got my first Leaf i was on €280 with Aviva, FC.
    They gave me €40 refund with 4 months left to the renewal.
    The second year I paid €300 but this year is €450 up from €370 quoted as I acquired 3 points for speeding in the dark... can't wait for August to come and see the new damage...
    9+ no claim bonus, 2 cars, house and health insurance with the same crowd... was able to always push for discounts.

... there was no refund given when I moved a year up on the Leaf.

• Advertisement

OFF TOPIC
    What is the story with the Euro symbol changing to " € "? I've noticed this in the past couple of days and it's bothering the sh!t out of me. It can be fixed if you go in and edit a post, but this is ridiculous. Or am I just seeing the weird symbol? It's all over Peposhi's post

Trump?
    Brexit?
    North Korea?
    ISIS?

Haven't a clue!

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

goz83 wrote: »
    OFF TOPIC
    What is the story with the Euro symbol changing to " € "? I've noticed this in the past couple of days and it's bothering the sh!t out of me. It can be fixed if you go in and edit a post, but this is ridiculous. Or am I just seeing the weird symbol? It's all over Peposhi's post
    Yeah...meant to look that up. At work, it doesn't seem to be an issue. On my laptop at home, it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That sucks DrPhilG. She doesn't have much ambition - selling her soul for a measily €5000. The insurance company would have notified you of the full cost of the claim - did the €5k include legal costs - or was that another €5k? I'm not suggesting for a second that someone should consider putting in a more substantial claim but I don't think it reflects well on the intelligence and of course morals of the other party.

I used to work on risk related software a few years back. One of the stakeholders told us that 5k was a sweet spot for claims as in up to that it wasn't worth fighting because of the costs involved. After that it was.

I used to work on risk related software a few years back. One of the stakeholders told us that 5k was a sweet spot for claims as in up to that it wasn't worth fighting because of the costs involved. After that it was.

Sounds logical to me that they wouldn't fight it (unless it's totally frivolous and the insurer has all their ducks in a row in smothering it). Bizarre that they changed the policy. The legal professionals will tack on a substantial chunk onto the overall cost of claim (not to mention extra time spent on dealing with claim, etc.).

When I filled out their online form, it just looked for partial details - the rest I gave them over the phone (including the points).
    Before the phonecall, I got this email =>

Quote 1 Comprehensive Cover 411.42 euro Zurich - Motorstar
    I assume the points are the difference.
    Is it possible just to pay for a quater and cancel?? Are there any repercussions?
    I just gave the guy full payment via credit card. However, there is something like a 14 day cooling off period (and my renewal doesn't actually kick in until the 13th May).Any thoughts?
    I checked this out with the broker who came back with this;
    "The quote you received online was a ‘quick quote’ which not only does it not include penalty points as you mention but is based on other factors for example main area of use being County XXXX (as you inputted a County XXXX address), bonus protection not included and other factors. The quick quote is designed as an indictive guide only"
    Given that Full NCB protection is a big chunk together with the loading no the penalty points, I'm quite happy that I've gotten the best deal going.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

We are shopping around for quotes as well. Wife rang Zurich as they are kind of on the ball with it compared to other Insurers. However she was told that we cannot buy Insurance of them as she is not the main driver (physically), but I am. Claims would not work. They had to ask their underwriters about it, but it's a no from them.

Tried other crowds now. 123.ie gives 571.92 EUR Full Comp.

Will report on findings as we go

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If the insurance currently is in your name, you need to ring them and get a quote for you. Make sure you add your wife as a named driver. This is cheaper than not mentioning your wife at all! You should be able to get a very decent quote, presuming you at this stage have Irish licenses an a full NCB? I'm hoping for €300-€400 fully comprehensive for my new Ioniq on my next renewal.

I usually sort out the motor insurance...both mine and the wifes. I just ring up and get a quote on her behalf. Has never once been an issue in many years and dozens of calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

The car is registered in her name, I am just driving it :-]

Advertisement