Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

david75 wrote: »
    that's why it's called gossip.

Why bother post it here, it's nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

depends what you believe..I dont believe for a minute that he had to be repeatedly asked by kennedy to do it..which do you do to make your name a household name as a director? it's not a star trek film that's for sure. Speilberg & Kennedy more than likely had him lined up but he had to cut his teeth beforehand so we got ST..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

depends what you believe..I dont believe for a minute that he had to be repeatedly asked by kennedy to do it..which do you do to make your name a household name as a director? it's not a star trek film that's for sure. Speilberg & Kennedy more than likely had him lined up but he had to cut his teeth beforehand so we got ST..

Sorry how are you defending the post still :eek:

Force awakens is coming on bluray. May the cash grab be with you.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-3d-blu-ray-details/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

Force awakens is coming on bluray. May the cash grab be with you.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-3d-blu-ray-details/
    Should have known that they'd release a second box with more extras a few months after the first. The commentary track was notable by its absence the first time around. Well **** you Disney if you think I am paying for a few more deleted scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's really sh*tty to be honest.

When execs complain about piracy killing the industry, somebody should point to business practices like this. If you take the piss and try to milk the fans, you deserve what you get.

In all fairness lads the original press release for the announcement of the dvd back in February or whenever it was, did say this release was coming so people do have an option.

I am curious to hear jj's audio commentary but this film moves at a fast pace. Wonder how in depth he can really get?

Although what is really crap is putting different content exclusive to different retailers. Like the Amazon one has stuff the target one doesn't.

That DOES encourage piracy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

In all fairness lads the original press release for the announcement of the dvd back in February or whenever it was, did say this release was coming so people do have an option.

I am curious to hear jj's audio commentary but this film moves at a fast pace. Wonder how in depth he can really get?

exactly. it was signposted completely at the original release that this was coming, i think it was even on here i had a discussion with someone who was complaining then about double dips. they were perfectly up front about it, no-one forced anyone to buy the first one, yet people still complain.

This edition might be worth buying. I can see it eventually being as rare as the laser disc version of the original trilogy.

I mean who even has 3D tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

On the other hand, they released the first Bluray in April barely after the theatrical run ended, so if you wanted the movie early you could have it early.

I'm not too bothered either way with the 3D release. I'll probably get it because I like 3D, it won't matter to most who don't care for 3D. Unless you particularly want the 3D version, the only difference is a couple of new deleted scenes which will end up posted on the internet anyway if you must watch them.

The only SW deleted scenes that mattered were those two in ROTJ. The first was Luke assembling his lightsaber in the cave and other was the Emperor's instruction for the Death Star to destroy Endor if the shield generator fell. Both would have added to the movie, all of the others deserved to be cut.

Had it been shot more in an indirect noir style the scene with Luke assembling his lightsaber would have been awesome.

But you diminish him if you show that. Why is he only assembling his lightsaber minutes before rescuing Han?

Assembling a piece of tech that can save his life in a planet predominately covered in sand?

I can see why it was cut. It could have so easily been amazing that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only deleted scenes from 'Return of the Jedi' that I would have kept is the ones with Jerjerrod, as they show that the Empire's troops are made up of people with some sort of feeling and not just automatons.

The scenes flesh out some real tension and Jerjerrod's "Albert Speer" moment is pretty great. Shame it was cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

In all fairness, I've been all over this movie for the last couple of years and I was totally unaware of the second disc set being released until this week. Funnily enough, the press release was not stapled to the Bluray boxes in HMV or in the description on Amazon.
    He does talk quite fast! I'd be interested to listen to him alone talking about the movie but alone might be key. The commentary track on the first Star Trek film is god awful. Its got the whole Bad Robot crew talking over each other at a million miles an hour. You're left sitting there wondering how the hell what sounds like a bunch of Californian teenagers ever made a major Hollywood movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Has JJ ever done a commentary on his own? If not I'll be surprised if this is his first solo one. I think he likes having other people to bounce off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

An in depth behind the scenes making of documentary ( a la The Beginning) would have made this a day one purchase for me.

As it is, I'll pass, and if I see a reasonably priced second hand copy in CEX down the line I'll pick it up.

The LOTR films spoiled us all and really set an impossible bar for making of and bonus documentaries. And what, like 9 audio commentaries on each film from cast to design to the writers. Would have loved something like them with FA but perhaps we'll get all that when the whole trilogy is out and the inevitable complete super deluxe set is released. If it has that stuff I'll definitely buy with no complaints.

I can't justify buying a blu Ray player just for this. But it sounds like a cool set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bad Lip Reading wouldn't always be worth a watch, but Mark Hamill is voicing Han. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Had the opportunity to rewatch the first trailer again.

Still so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh just watched it again with the kids. This is great addition, really enjoyable and some of the most memorable scenes in the franchise.

It’s gets better and better each viewing.

I’m not sure why some people think it needs another episode to make this better or more relevant. It’s fine on it’s own.

Fantastic trailers. And the music in this one above is top notch.
    TFA is eminently rewatchable. I don’t know if TLJ will be but it’s big moments might make it so. I can watch TFA anytime and enjoy it. Such a great addition and in the real spirit of Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

That’s amazing. The other idea was to open with Luke’s lightsaber tumbling through space...glad that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

DV19SSqWAAAcKFw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd love to know more about the sound design in TFA. I thought Kylos voice added so much to his character; incredibly compressed and close sounding.

It gave Adam Driver's performance a real intensity.

Yeah it’s a cool eff ct. I hope the mask comes back a bit in 9.

I’d love to know if anyone though he was an emo pain in TFA came around on him in TLJ. He played it perfectly. Such a great actor.

In TFA I thought his character was incredibly powerful (as illustrated by the opening section when he holds the laser blasts in mid air for the whole scene) but at the same time very immature (which can be seen when he throws a tantrum later on and wrecks the control console).

He's also tortured and pulled between the light and dark side, Han and Vader.

Not sure I would descrube him as an emo pain!

I also think his was the best performance in TLJ.

• Advertisement

I certainly didn’t think that about him at all I totllay understood him and what he was going through I think.
    One of the louder complaints from the usual corners were he was a crap emo villain wannabe.
    I totally disagree with that.

Advertisement