Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Extension for City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Little point arguing the result at this stage, there is clear wedge as one person said , forcing some sort of cooperation at govt level (won't happen) is best route until the boundary is changed, years down the line.the wedge is there for some reasons, clearly GAA colours is important to kk more than Waterford I'd reckon.Waterford is annoyed by decades of kk undermining Waterford/south half of their own county and not buying into region or getting behind in support of fact that this is largest city, this was seen in teaming up with other counties to actively work against Waterford so cooperation is not gonna happen probably, we have an excellent city manager here, some saying he could work with opposite number, that's not an option, but the kk manager will be undermined by the gaa colour councillors (did you hear bumbling Bobby) and citizens, and we're back to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    Little point arguing the result at this stage, there is clear wedge as one person said , forcing some sort of cooperation at govt level (won't happen) is best route until the boundary is changed, years down the line.the wedge is there for some reasons, clearly GAA colours is important to kk more than Waterford I'd reckon.Waterford is annoyed by decades of kk undermining Waterford/south half of their own county and not buying into region or getting behind in support of fact that this is largest city, this was seen in teaming up with other counties to actively work against Waterford so cooperation is not gonna happen probably, we have an excellent city manager here, some saying he could work with opposite number, that's not an option, but the kk manager will be undermined by the gaa colour councillors (did you hear bumbling Bobby) and citizens, and we're back to start.

Since the Formation of the Republic, Waterford has failed to gain its fair share of investment from successive governments. The latest shambolic political decision to go against the expert group recommendations that was set up by the government to review the boundary, while at the same time arguing that they cant provide 24x7 cardiac care as it goes against a Govt setup expert group on the same subject

Therefore, I think the time has come for Waterford to decide if it wants to remain within the Republic of Ireland or go it alone and become a City State more akin to Singapore etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Bards wrote: »
    Since the Formation of the Republic, Waterford has failed to gain its fair share of investment from successive governments. The latest shambolic political decision to go against the expert group recommendations that was set up by the government to review the boundary, while at the same time arguing that they cant provide 24x7 cardiac care as it goes against a Govt setup expert group on the same subject

Therefore, I think the time has come for Waterford to decide if it wants to remain within the Republic of Ireland or go it alone and become a City State more akin to Singapore etc.

As crazy as it sounds, the worst thing that ever happened Waterford was Irish independence. Successive governments have done nothing but undermine a once strong city. We've always done particularly bad under Fine Gael / Labour governments it has to be said. This latest fiasco sums it up, a seriously flawed independent report being used as an excuse to take away 24h cardiac care while another independent report that recommends the city extension (a purely logical decision) is being ignored.

Unfortunately the Irish Political system will simply never change. It's ironic that the county system introduced by the British has taken such a strong hold. It leads to nothing but pig ignorance when it comes to these decisions. We have ourselves to blame too though. A considerable about of people actually go into an election booth and vote for John Deasy time and time again, a lazy useless tool who doesn't even feign interest in serving the Waterford electorate and is the black sheep of the party. No wonder we are easy pickings for them!

You'd wonder why John Halligan is still in government at this stage. He's not going to change anything not being in government but they've done nothing but take a **** on the county since he joined the government so why should he support it. Presumably Mary Butler will toe the party line of ****ing Waterford over also. Wouldn't expect any less of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

redlead wrote: »
    As crazy as it sounds, the worst thing that ever happened Waterford was Irish independence.

It's exactly the same for Limerick. The new State gave primacy to the county structure, so any city that was on the border of two or three counties (like Limerick and Waterford) suffered greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

redlead wrote: »
    As crazy as it sounds, the worst thing that ever happened Waterford was Irish independence. .[/quote
    I don't entirely buy the cries that the government is anti Waterford but I think that there's a lot of truth in the above and Waterford was hit in the early years. I suspect that Waterford suffered partly because it was seen as being a politically suspect city. Being the only constituency outside of Ulster not to elect a Sinn Fein MP in 1918 didn't help. I think that I'm correct in saying that one or two factories were actually moved out of Waterford post independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Off ya's go- it'll save the rest of the state an absolute fortune in social transfers...oh and the rest of the state will be taking back all regional/national facilities-invest it in somewhere grateful and productive -you can go fund your own :pac::pac:

Still looking for reaction I see.

You really must be a very sensitive and easily insulted individual!

:D:D

Not at all...but I know how you lot are and just love a good moan/protest for no reason and more reasons to feel downtrodden...you should all get endless mileage out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

road_high wrote: »
    Off ya's go- it'll save the rest of the state an absolute fortune in social transfers...oh and the rest of the state will be taking back all regional/national facilities-invest it in somewhere grateful and productive -you can go fund your own :pac::pac:

Yeah Bards, that be the thing ...... and reclaim the area on the other side of the river that was Waterford City while at it.
    That should sort it!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've often thought turning Waterford County (not just the City) into an independent "brass plate, dodgy bank account, zero tax" type island state would be quite a good idea. The island could be created as there is quite a short distance between the Blackwater and the Araglin. Get them diggers digging :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭gw80

Still looking for reaction I see.

You really must be a very sensitive and easily insulted individual!

:D:D
    Ah dont mind roadhigh, he is just a fantisist, he has this wet dream about Kilkenny being some sort of bustling metropolis and second city to Dublin, he thinks because Kilkenny is in Leinster and Dublin is in Leinster that the good people of dublin should reach out to there brothers in Kilkenny and make it so, its quite nauseating in fact.
    He doesn't even live in the area, and wouldn't give two ****s about the people in south Kilkenny if it meant Waterford went without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

The boundary extension report was written on toilet paper, but the cardiac care report was written in stone; so people of Waterford - has the penny dropped yet?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The boundary extension report was written on toilet paper, but the cardiac care report was written in stone; so people of Waterford - has the penny dropped yet?

Your right, we should have kept Coffey instead of lads like halligan and deasy who have no hope of achieving anything for Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Your right, we should have kept Coffey instead of lads like halligan and deasy who have no hope of achieving anything for Waterford.
    Yeah a fantastic alternative to one Fine Gael waster would be another Fine Gael waster. Why are you so keen on the bould Paudie anyway. It's a bit weird tbh. Any chance you get you mention him. He slippin ya a few bob from the party warchest?

Sosurface wrote: »
    Yeah a fantastic alternative to one Fine Gael waster would be another Fine Gael waster. Why are you so keen on the bould Paudie anyway. It's a bit weird tbh. Any chance you get you mention him. He slippin ya a few bob from the party warchest?

I wish,I need all the money I can get..:-).
    No,I just think we made a monumental f-up not keeping him, he achieved a fair bit over his last few years so he was far from a waster for us, and i have doubt we would be better placed on things if we had a proper junior minister in place/main party.I find it incredible that people fail to see this and vote for the table bangers.
    Your and many people on here attitude from posts is they're all useless, especially the ones from main parties,I think people are duped by the likes of halligan, Murphy, Wallace who give all the what you want to hear and tearing into those making decisions,.you and others then repeat the simplified stuff its not a runner, look how useless halligan and other politicians have been since last election.
    I'll put next sentence on separate line as its so important if people want to have a proper think on issues that affect us....
    be aware of people offering simple solutions to complex problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

From a political standpoint it makes sense...Waterford is far left bordering Marxist in its politics (evident here daily). For FG to sacrifice a sure seat in Carlow Kilkenny to appease that element made no sense for them whatsoever.

Far left? Pull the other one. The last Government had two FG TDs and a Labour TD from Waterford.

Far left? Pull the other one. The last Government had two FG TDs and a Labour TD from Waterford.

I wouldn't bother....it's pathetically sad but road high is consistently on here spitting his vitriol directed at Waterford, he came on here with the gaa usual nonsense and quickly adapted to just bad mouthing when he knew all common sense was against him...and even still, after the issue is over, talking rubbish like the drivel you responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I wouldn't bother....it's pathetically sad but road high is consistently on here spitting his vitriol directed at Waterford, he came on here with the gaa usual nonsense and quickly adapted to just bad mouthing when he knew all common sense was against him...and even still, after the issue is over, talking rubbish like the drivel you responded to.
    This type of bigoted fool is nothing to worry about. It is a typical 1950's rural mentality that doesn't realize its 2017. History is and always will be against them. Don't say he is on about Marxism now:) . I saw a good one on FB the other day where a friend of mine inadvertently shared a fake news story about the Red Cross acknowledging that the Holocaust was a hoax. The source of this breaking story? - The Kilkenny Journal!  The same Kilkenny Journal that like Road High has a sick obsession with all things of the left. Commies and Jews are the order of the day.

Kilkenny People currently has an article about serious concerns in Kilkenny County Council that Minister Coveney will grant administrative powers to Waterford County Council over a section of Co. Kilkenny. I'm sorry that I can't provide a link at the moment but if you Google Kilkenny People, boundary and administrative, you should find it. It tallies with my general impression of what Coveney was planning, though I must admit that I didn't expect him to go so far as to give full control to WCC.

Something like that would make sense in many ways. Presently, he can't afford to press the button on the issue with a leadership battle looming. What is being reported in the Kilkenny People would mean that the issue would be kicked to touch until after the leadership election while nerves are soothed on the Kilkenny side in the meantime. However, he seems to me to be determined to do something on the issue and he would see this as a good compromise i.e. the area remains nominally part of Kilkenny but WCC gets effective control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Kilkenny People currently has an article about serious concerns in Kilkenny County Council that Minister Coveney will grant administrative powers to Waterford County Council over a section of Co. Kilkenny. I'm sorry that I can't provide a link at the moment but if you Google Kilkenny People, boundary and administrative, you should find it. It tallies with my general impression of what Coveney was planning, though I must admit that I didn't expect him to go so far as to give full control to WCC.

Something like that would make sense in many ways. Presently, he can't afford to press the button on the issue with a leadership battle looming. What is being reported in the Kilkenny People would mean that the issue would be kicked to touch until after the leadership election while nerves are soothed on the Kilkenny side in the meantime. However, he seems to me to be determined to do something on the issue and he would see this as a good compromise i.e. the area remains nominally part of Kilkenny but WCC gets effective control.

Scary times indeed for ethnic Kilkenny folk. Ferrybank and environs will be further forgotten about/ignored by the WCCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’d say they will be glad in Kilkenny when this is all over so they can go back to completely ignoring the area!

So, the mask has been lifted. For KK, it's no longer about identity and culture, it's about rates.

zulutango wrote: »
    So, the mask has been lifted. For KK, it's no longer about identity and culture, it's about rates.

LOL. And it's about something else from the "other" side? Comradely love and affection for the people living there?

BBM77 wrote: »
    I?d say they will be glad in Kilkenny when this is all over so they can go back to completely ignoring the area!

You lot can continue obsessing over it- nothing like a bit of misery and a perpetual feeling of downtrodden-ness is there?

road_high wrote:
    LOL. And it's about something else from the "other" side? Comradely love and affection for the people living there?

Maybe it's about the proper sustainable planning and development of what is a single urban entity ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

You lot can continue obsessing over it- nothing like a bit of misery and a perpetual feeling of downtrodden-ness is there?

Do you think about what you write? You have made multiple posts on a form belonging to another city about an issue that does not directly affect you. If that is not obsessing and misery I don’t know what is.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Do you think about what you write? You have made multiple posts on a form belonging to another city about an issue that does not directly affect you. If that is not obsessing and misery I don’t know what is.

True...he and couple others came on here pushing the gaa colours argument and a couple other things that didn't stand up scrutiny, then since that its never ending hatred and contempt even after the boundary process is over..

I know that many thought that this issue was dead in the water after Coveney's announcement that he would not change the county boundary.I said a few weeks ago that I thought that the boundary extension might not actually be dead despite that. Coveney also said that he intended to look into giving WCC some kind of say over the area in question. I think that he was sincere in that and I think that WCC thought that there was a good chance that it would get to administer the area even if it remained nominally part of KK.

However, I think that the likely election of Varadkar as FG leader and Taoiseach makes that far less likely. John Paul Phelan has been a firm supporter of Varadkar for years and is dead against any change. The boundary extension is not a priority for Varadkar and he will probably follow Phelan's wishes on the subject. There is clearly no appetite for change on this matter within Fianna Fail. I think that this issue is done for now and probably for a good few years into the future.

I was not a supporter of the boundary change but I would still hope that something could be done to improve cooperation between the two Councils or at least stop anything like the Ferrybank shopping centre happening again.

• Advertisement

I think Varadkar is strong enough not to kow-tow to the parochial interests of those who support him. He's a sensible guy who doesn't really tolerate inefficiency or bull****. I don't see him standing in the way of an extension if that's what an expert group recommends, irrespective of John Paul Phelan's position.

Advertisement