Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go for drinks after work

Options
  • 04-04-2017 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭

Was in town ( Dublin ) last Friday evening and went for a drink in Toners at about 5.30/6pm and the place was jammed with after work drinkers the suits gave them away :P every pub in the vicinity was the same. On a Friday all I would want to do is get home ASAP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I much prefer going for drinks before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I much prefer going for drinks before work.

Get with the times, beers with lunch is where it's at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

If you can't do your job pissed....you can't do your job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

mariaalice wrote: »
    went for a drink in Toners at about 5.30/6pm and the place was jammed with after work drinkers the suits gave them away

Such powers of deduction demand that you start a private investigation business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Occasionally but not with people from work, that would be grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

38.5 hours per week is more than enough tim to spend with most of the shower I work with in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

God no! A pot of coffee and a few chocolate digestives at home please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I work next door to a pub so.....yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My husband once worked for a New Zealander who would brake out a case of beer on a Friday afternoon they would finish an hour early and drink the beer in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'll occasionally have a wet lunch. Got a bit carried away one lunchtime and needed to make a pitstop at Esquires before heading back to the office for something to put the edge back on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I try not to. My last job was very cliquey and had a strong drinking culture so to get ahead you had to hit the pubs at least once a week, gets tiresome very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did it a few times years ago.
    Overstayed in the pub the last time and got a text late in the evening from the wife - "Your dinner is in the dog".
    I sent back a text saying "Don't worry love, we can get a new dog".

I nearly got a belt of a frying pan when I arrived home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes usually on the last day of my week and sometimes for a quick one on payday if we were finished early

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I work right in Grafton St area and the job can be stressful so by 5pm on a Friday some of us are gagging to get to a boozer. I work with a bunch of guys my age with no ties too so it happens more often than I'd like. We never eat, start early and are wasted by 9pm. It's good fun though but it can ruin my whole weekend!
    In Australia and NZ when I worked there, even in corporate offices, it was normal to break out the beer at 4pm on a Friday. In fact in England on a Friday the beer fridge opened at 4pm and we could help ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

About 1997-99. The old Clarendon after work in Stephens green sc.. every Friday night. It was us vs dunnes..

Mighty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

38.5 hours per week is more than enough tim to spend with most of the shower I work with in Ireland.

What about the ones you work with abroad?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do people really hate the people they work with this much. I get on pretty well with most people I've worked with over the years. I'd happily go for a few pints with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, it's unheard of around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nah there's enough drama when I'm working with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Can't beat drinks after work every Friday. Great way to wind down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Not very often - we went once or twice last summer when it was nice and sunny. There's a nice place with a big beer garden, good beers and decent pizza we went to usually.
    But it wouldn't be a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There's quite often a few shnaeky ones at around 2-3 on a Friday tbh. The pub is part of the building so it'd be rude not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I used to years ago, but the closest I've worked in the last few years is 30km, so the drive home would be a bit dicey.

Yeah would go for drinks straight from work most weeks, either Friday or a week day night. Usually out till closing too especially on Fridays. Looking forward to going out for pints on a Friday is the type of thing that gets me through the week so I couldn't be more opposite of the op, much prefer it to going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Nah, work on an industrial estate am hour out from Dublin. Most people commute from even further so it's rare enough. I have a couple of decent friends in other departments and we meet up for a proper night out every couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

That's a very old tradition, commonplace in England for you to have a beer or 2 at lunch even back in the 60's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Usually I need a few drinks before I get to work to make it through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

God no! There must be a lot of lucky people who get on in the workplace in Dublin. I see enough of my workmates Monday to Friday I certainly don't want to be mixing with them out of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I used to years ago...

Older now, so straight home generally, kids come first and everyone I work with seem to have small kids.

Good excuse if you don't want to go to the going away party for Jimmy, Johnny, Brendan, Brenda....

Advertisement