Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All-new Peugeot 5008 SUV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Gwynston wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't understand that.
    Please see my previous post where I quoted Peugeot measurements which looked smaller than the old 5008:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102350728&postcount=15

I don't even look at these stats, how I test is bring the 3 car seats along with me and fire them into the car. I do get strange looks but I don't care, no point buying the car and then find out the car seats I have don't work.....

Also this crap of taking a test drive without the kiddies in the back, no chance, if I am buying new I will load all up and head out.....that is only way to get a proper sense of how it will be in real life....

I am buying this sort of car because of practicability in reality so test it properly for what you want it for, I know my wife will be checking to see how easy the buggy goes in and out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Yep, I know it's necessary to properly test out a car. Believe me, I'm analysing the space in detail - I carry a tape measure with me when looking going in to showrooms and have taken the kids with me too!

The reason I'm speculating is that there's very little concrete info around, and the bits I have found seem contradictory. I've already been disappointed. when seeing the Kodiaq in the flesh - it's simply not big enough in the back, even though it's being sold as a 7 seater.

I really hope the 5008 is at least as big inside as the old model. Even in the new S-Max it turns out the seats are slightly smaller than the old ones. So I'm trying to work out myself how big the 5008 really will be - waiting is painful!

Journos starting getting their hands on Kodiaqs to drive in Czech Republic around November, so if Peugeot get journos over the France a similar time in advance of launch, we should start seeing some 5008 reviews soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I really hope the 5008 is at least as big inside as the old model. Even in the new S-Max it turns out the seats are slightly smaller than the old ones. So I'm trying to work out myself how big the 5008 really will be - waiting is painful!

Journos starting getting their hands on Kodiaqs to drive in Czech Republic around November, so if Peugeot get journos over the France a similar time in advance of launch, we should start seeing some 5008 reviews soon.

Take the current C4 Grand Picasso as a start. 5008 is build on the same platform, with the crucial dimensions (like wheelbase etc) the same. 5008 will be less roomy though, because it focuses more on looks than usability.

So if C4 GP is not roomy enough, don't even think about 5008. If it just there, 5008 probably won't work for you either. If C4 GP is too big - 5008 might be there... :)

IMHO you WILL BE disappointed with the 5008 and will get an MPV. Be it an S-Max, Zafira or Alhambra... That's what they are for - carrying many people around. SUVs are for people who needed an estate, but did not dig the idea of one. Unless it is a monster like XC90...

I started out with the aim of finding a car that seats 5 comfortably. MPVs tend to seat 7. I'm replacing our S-Max and wanted something that was as wide, but not necessarily with 7 seats. See my (long) thread here:
    Good *wide* family car

I know there's the 5-seat Picasso with 3 separate seats, but I don't like the styling, especially inside. All other non-Grand mid-size MPVs (C-Max, Scenic, 3008 etc.) or SUVs (Kadjar, Tuscon, Qashqai etc.) have bench seats with limited space for the centre passenger. Even large SUVs like the Q7 and SC90 don't have full seating for 3 in the middle row.

I was interested when first learning about the upcoming Kodiaq and 5008 that they we might finally get SUV styling with MPV-type middle seats. Having looked in the Kodiaq, that's not so.

5008 looks more promising but it wasn't until last week when I actually got a tape measure out that I realised the old 5008 middle seats are smaller than in my S-Max. So that doesn't bode well for the new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Keen on the 5008 SUV myself. Unfortunately looks like it has been delayed a few months....

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170209/ANE/170209809/peugeot-delays-5008-to-protect-hot-selling-3008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Keen on the 5008 SUV myself. Unfortunately looks like it has been delayed a few months....

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170209/ANE/170209809/peugeot-delays-5008-to-protect-hot-selling-3008

Good to see brave and innovative design being rewarded with strong sales and massive percentage increases over the old model. Hope the dull Germans are watching.

Good to see brave and innovative design being rewarded with strong sales and massive percentage increases over the old model. Hope the dull Germans are watching.

Funny how they say about pre-order? How can you pre-order, I checked with local garage and they said they couldn't.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Funny how they say about pre-order? How can you pre-order, I checked with local garage and they said they couldn't.....

Would garages preorder to sell after if a lot of customers seemed interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Maybe you can pre-order in France where volumes are far greater and not here. We are hardly worth the paperwork in terms of sales.

http://vetcar.ie/2016/09/15/peugeot-announce-new-5008-suv/

Interesting details on car below, this is why I am interested in it

Lower, more spacious and less bulky than its competitors, it retains the same height as before of 1.64m, with roof bars standard on all models. An increased length to 4.64m (+11cm) and increased width (+11cm) over the previous 5008 MPV model, ensure there is more room for occupants; second-row passengers now enjoy 6cm more knee room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Hi Gwynston,

You seem to be looking for a "perfect" car and why not - but in general its about trade offs. I regularly read people on these threads looking for children friendly cars saying "I couldn't fit my three kids in car x" when I know for certain that it can be done with the right seats. ie my brother has three kids in a 2016 Octavia. Its a squeeze but it can be done especially if you buy the seats to fit the car. (Check out posts on Diono Radian) or the dimensions of graco or Joie seats for example.

If kodiak is as wide as Octavia then it will fit three seats depending on the seats you buy. Ultimately the only way to be sure is to wait for car to arrive - measure it with tape and then bring the three seats you've decided on and see.

My two cents

I started out with the aim of finding a car that seats 5 comfortably. MPVs tend to seat 7. I'm replacing our S-Max and wanted something that was as wide, but not necessarily with 7 seats. See my (long) thread here:
    Good *wide* family car

I know there's the 5-seat Picasso with 3 separate seats, but I don't like the styling, especially inside. All other non-Grand mid-size MPVs (C-Max, Scenic, 3008 etc.) or SUVs (Kadjar, Tuscon, Qashqai etc.) have bench seats with limited space for the centre passenger. Even large SUVs like the Q7 and SC90 don't have full seating for 3 in the middle row.

I was interested when first learning about the upcoming Kodiaq and 5008 that they we might finally get SUV styling with MPV-type middle seats. Having looked in the Kodiaq, that's not so.

5008 looks more promising but it wasn't until last week when I actually got a tape measure out that I realised the old 5008 middle seats are smaller than in my S-Max. So that doesn't bode well for the new one...

photosmart wrote: »
    You seem to be looking for a "perfect" car and why not - but in general its about trade offs. I regularly read people on these threads looking for children friendly cars saying "I couldn't fit my three kids in car x" when I know for certain that it can be done with the right seats.
    Of course, you're right there is no perfect car for everyone!
    I think that the reason I'm struggling to satisfy our requirements is because my kids are used to the space in our old S-Max. I started out looking for something that maybe wasn't a 7-seat MPV (preferably SUV-like), but which would provide us with as much accommodation for the 3 kids. Nothing seems to fit the bill, even very large non-SUV cars like the Superb.

Now, my kids are almost all out of car seats, so that's not really an issue. But it does mean I need to consider that in the coming years, we'll instead have 3 young adults in the back, which brings it's own space requirements. It's already a tight squeeze in the back on school mornings with bags etc., so it's hard to justify changing to a car with less space in the back when we're only going to get bigger as a family!

The Kodiaq looked promising on paper, but in the flesh I was let down that it actually has less internal seat width than the Superb. I'm still hoping the 5008 will really have 3 separate proper seats with enough space.

Otherwise I think I already know the ideal car for our family - another S-Max! :cool: The only reason I was looking for alternatives is because the new S-Max is so damn expensive. :eek:

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Finally a decent picture of the middle row of seats there. Looks promising! :)
    (Shame about the ugly stitching pattern on the leather though :confused:)

Finally a decent picture of the middle row of seats there. Looks promising! :)
    (Shame about the ugly stitching pattern on the leather though :confused:)

5008 will have the seats setup exactly as the C4 Grand Picasso. Might have a bit less headroom caused by the SUV bodywork, but the seats are common between the two... Even the plastics in 3rd row look almost the same, bar the flashlight...

http://images.car.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/70059/1752x1168/peugeot5008_10.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

https://www.autofreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Citro%C3%ABn-Grand-C4-Picasso-13.jpg

I think it is safe for you to check C4 Grand Picasso, ignore the styling of the dash and focus only on the space available.

grogi wrote: »
    5008 will have the seats setup exactly as the C4 Grand Picasso.
    I think it is safe for you to check C4 Grand Picasso, ignore the styling of the dash and focus only on the space available.
    Well I did measure the width of the 3 seats in the current 5008 (I presume the Grand Picasso is the same?) and found them to be a bit smaller across than the S-Max (132cm vs 140cm).

But having said that, in my other thread about car width, someone who has a new S-Max pointed out that it seems narrower across the seats (135cm) than the old S-Max, so perhaps the new 5008 won't be so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I looked at the old 5008 and the c4 gp together and it seemed like the c4 was bigger. Just from trying both out side by side. I know they are the same platform but citeron seem to be more efficent with space. They have them in gowans navan road and the have a 13 reg s max too. S max is considerable more roomy then either of the other 2.

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    I looked at the old 5008 and the c4 gp together and it seemed like the c4 was bigger. Just from trying both out side by side. I know they are the same platform but citeron seem to be more efficent with space. They have them in gowans navan road and the have a 13 reg s max too. S max is considerable more roomy then either of the other 2.

Because the old 5008 is based on the old platform, same as the first C4 Grand Picasso. New SUV 5008 shares the platform with the new C4 GP. Citroen will however be more spacious in the front, because of how the dash is build around the driver in the Peugeot and very open in Citroen.

Looks like journos from all the major publications have been down to Portugal for a demo run in the new 5008:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/5008/98615/new-peugeot-5008-2017-review
    http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/5008-estate-2017/first-drive

This sounds quite promising from the TopGear article:
    The middle row?
    They’re thrones of some splendour. Three separate seats all slide and recline independently. All three have Isofix points, too. In fact the 5008 makes a brilliant five-seater. In that configuration it’s got Maybach-like legroom, and a vast boot.
    It also suggests that the 3-cylinder 1.2L petrol might be the best engine. It might sound small, but with 130bhp it's plenty powerful enough and saves hundreds of kg over the auto diesel which makes the drive, ride and handling much better.

Look at that autoexpress review...

Generally very very positive, with hardly any complains but the lack of 4x4... And ?! 4 stars... Bloody four stars... WHY?! Because it is French? Kodiaq got five of course...

Stupid

• Advertisement

Video Review:
    carwow: Peugeot 5008 Mat Watson

His main criticism is the middle row head space, although without the panoramic roof, I expect it would be better. And for carrying kids, it's a non-issue and the generous space and 3 separate seats completely out-weigh that anyway.

The folding of the seats looks to involve a lot more faffing than should be necessary and falls behind rivals' improved designs.

It's interesting that it's becoming clear that the 5008 is essentially just a lengthened 3008, and clever packaging has allowed for the 3 separate seats. Having looked inside a 3008 myself, I don't quite understand how Peugeot have managed it, as that didn't look wide enough to me.

His main criticism is the middle row head space, although without the panoramic roof, I expect it would be better. And for carrying kids, it's a non-issue and the generous space and 3 separate seats completely out-weigh that anyway.

He is been a bit of a d**k about the head room in the middle row......he seems to be pushing himself upwards to make sure his head hits the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

He is been a bit of a d**k about the head room in the middle row......he seems to be pushing himself upwards to make sure his head hits the roof
    He doesn't have to try to hard when it comes to being a d**k if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I think he does need to point it out though, it does seem tight, and he aint that tall.
    I was looking at a few reviews and there's a semi decent one comparing both the 5008 and the Kodiaq (In French with subtitles). It kinda pans out the way you think, stylish versus elegance when it comes to the interior, but my God the Kodiaq external design is just so poor imo, that would be the real deal breaker for me, just ugly from all angles.
    Its difficult to tell, but it seems to me that the middle seats 'look' wider than the current 5008, and when all pushed back there seems to be shed loads of leg room.
    I think the GT Line with Leather option on 18" alloys seems the best buy. No air suspension and the 19's are drawing criticism for a harsh ride. Its a shame though that its only the 1.6 Diesel that gets the auto unless you go right up to GT. The 1.2 Petrol seems to be getting very decent reviews also. If you have young kids and weight isn't an option that might seem like a good price point.

I think he does need to point it out though, it does seem tight, and he aint that tall.

I am looking to buy one, I dont think my 4, 2 and baby will have issue with head room in the back seats..... how many times are you going to have 7 full sized adults in a car this size?

I have an SMAX and in over 2 years the most I have had in it is 4 adults and that was with no kids.....and that was the grand total of 2 times

99.99999% of the time it is 2 adults plus kids. Everyone I know who drives this type of vehicle would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I am looking to buy one, I dont think my 4, 2 and baby will have issue with head room in the back seats..... how many times are you going to have 7 full sized adults in a car this size?

I have an SMAX and in over 2 years the most I have had in it is 4 adults and that was with no kids.....and that was the grand total of 2 times

99.99999% of the time it is 2 adults plus kids. Everyone I know who drives this type of vehicle would be the same

Yes you are not wrong albeit a little flawed, but just pointing out that he's right to point it out that headroom could be an issue. A friend recently bought a GC4 Picasso, his eldest is now 15 and approaching 6 foot. Also, as I do, I frequently carry one or both Grand Parents.
    One thing your are 100% correct on, your kids wont have an issue.

Exactly. Someone often carrying adults will go for something really van-like, for instance an Alhambra...

Still really keen on the 5008. Does anyone have a line of sight when these will be available in Ireland?

Baby number 3 coming in June so need to upgrade to something that takes 3 kids seats across middle row. We can muddle along for a month or two but if these are realistically not going to be available until November, December timeframe I'll probably need to look for something else....

Still really keen on the 5008. Does anyone have a line of sight when these will be available in Ireland?

Baby number 3 coming in June so need to upgrade to something that takes 3 kids seats across middle row. We can muddle along for a month or two but if these are realistically not going to be available until November, December timeframe I'll probably need to look for something else....

This was last update I seen anywhere....I talked to Peugeot here and no dates just said it was delayed. Could be out in next few months

• Advertisement

I contacted Peugeot yesterday. They currently hope to make first deliveries at the end of July, start of August.

Advertisement