Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post your Sim Racing Rigs / DIY Projects here.

• 24-03-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭

Would love to see other peoples rigs and also DIY projects on here, from the most humble to the most luxurious.

Today I finally made a detachable wooden base for the Toyota Celica bucket seat I bought a few weeks ago for €20.
    I used prepared 2x4 wood.

An angle grinder would have made cutting the steel rails much easier but instead i used a junior hacksaw and 10.8v drill and lots of elbow grease.
    I shaped the wood around the bits sticking out of the rails.

b8GHgdc.jpg

eCWI4Nk.jpg

YALcADk.jpg

ASkhnPe.jpg

SisSOmi.jpg

And finally here it is with PSVR on the seat:

Q8O9x8c.jpg

The result is a cheap and very comfortable seat.

Next up is I'll be adding a second shifter mount on the left for RHD cars, and using a DB9 extension cable so i can easily plug in each shifter without having to remove the wheel.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nicely done Doge. :)

Does the seat not slide backwards a bit when breaking though? Carpet on a wooden floor I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nicely done Doge. :)

Does the seat not slide backwards a bit when breaking though? Carpet on a wooden floor I'm thinking.

I never even thought about that actually! Given the weight of the chair, the weight of the wooden base and the weight of me on top of it all, it doesnt budge an inch!

The wooden floors may not be as slidly as some of the cheaper paler wooden ones though, but id imagine theres enough weight still to keep it put even on those.

I have to say, its extremely comfortable and supports your back really well. Certainly the best way of doing a low budget chair.

c0rn3y wrote: »

Excellent stuff again, cant see anyone beating that for a luxurious rig!

Whats the red button with the yellow box behind it?

It looks like the stop buttons you see for escalators or for factory conveyer belts!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Doge wrote: »
    The wooden floors may not be as slidly as some of the cheaper paler wooden ones though, but id imagine theres enough weight still to keep it put even on those.
    My rig is on a tile floor, I use cut up yoga mat but it's not working as well on the rig as it did on the arm chair.

The rig doesn't move like the chair did though, it only becomes an issue when the rig separates in the middle because I'm pushing the brake to hard.

I'm still clearing out boxes and setting up, I'll try and post a video soon. It's a pretty crappy setup at the moment, I have it pulled up to the kitchen table.

That button is a emergency stop button, this is because the OSW is so strong that you need to be able to switch it off quickly if something happens, it would rip your hands off otherwise hehe.

• Advertisement

c0rn3y wrote: »
    That button is a emergency stop button, this is because the OSW is so strong that you need to be able to switch it off quickly if something happens, it would rip your hands off otherwise hehe.

Jeez!

If you crash the car in Dirt Rally do you have to release your hands from the wheel immediately just like a rally driver would?

Well either you hold on really hard or let go but most of time you let go because it can get violent when holding on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TeflonRon

Hey guys, wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'm looking for a setup with either a Wheel stand pro or GT omega or something similar, does anyone know a cheap website to buy off, tried adverts and donedeal but couldn't find anything suitable :(

Any help appreciated

TeflonRon wrote: »
    Hey guys, wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'm looking for a setup with either a Wheel stand pro or GT omega or something similar, does anyone know a cheap website to buy off, tried adverts and donedeal but couldn't find anything suitable :(

Any help appreciated

If you're buying new Amazon is the cheapest for the GT Omega Racing Wheel Stand.

The shipping cost is far less expensive than buying direct on their website.

If you wanted to go second hand then eBay UK would be good, but you'd need to use something like DPD parcel Wizard to get it from Northern Ireland to the UK.

You also risk missing parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I bought the wheel stand pro v2 deluxe recently off their uk supplier,ordered on a saturday had it the followning thursday.

Was €113 including delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

This is my budget rig. Logitech G29 with shifter, Gameracer Pro seat and frame, custom seat riser kit, Buttkicker Gamer with custom mount, Playseat Gearshift Holder Pro.
    All in i think it cost €500.00.
    73B90590-910B-4A9F-9C8B-42CF636D4FBE.jpg
    64700021-91C6-4A6B-B86C-BF7BAE12CA69.jpg
    037695B9-D570-4095-A67B-BEDE2FFAE680.jpg
    91CE5EAC-BBF9-4427-B0B0-E33F3D118A96.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sorry for hijacking,

I've parked my wheel in the attic cause of no room and I had a homemade rig which was just to big.
    Only just seen the rigs you can buy which seem to fold right down so I'm going to get it back down and set it up in the kids playroom.

What is the best rig to go for, I think my wheel is a Logitech g25 if that makes sense. Well it's deffo a Logitech, just thing g25 rings a bell till I get up in the loft.

Also are there rigs which would be interchangable to put a flight deck control set up? I have a saitec setup.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking,

I've parked my wheel in the attic cause of no room and I had a homemade rig which was just to big.
    Only just seen the rigs you can buy which seem to fold right down so I'm going to get it back down and set it up in the kids playroom.

What is the best rig to go for, I think my wheel is a Logitech g25 if that makes sense. Well it's deffo a Logitech, just thing g25 rings a bell till I get up in the loft.

Also are there rigs which would be interchangable to put a flight deck control set up? I have a saitec setup.

I like the GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand. You can see it in the first post in this thread.

What I prefer about it to other stands is that it doesnt have a bar between your legs.

You can fold it and stand it vertically also.

Buy it on amazon since the shipping is cheaper I think.

There's 2 shifter mounts the v1 and v2, the v2 is what I'm using as its a bit neater.

There's a good unboxing and review here, he shows it folded up and standing vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Colinoh

I set myself a task, to build my rig, using only what I have lying around the shed. Mostly because I work awkward hours and can't get the time to buy proper materials.

There isnt a straight cut or a square corner on the whole thing but it works damnit!!
    The pictures are crap and I wish I'd tae more during the "design" process.
    Just a few pictures I took while making it showing my balancing act trying to figure out the perfect angle for the pedals.

The frame is made from 2x3 scraps with a few different thickness sheets of mdf and ply.
    The seat is from a wrecked Imprezza STI and it's in mint condition, just needed a hoover.

EDIT:
    Ok the image links arent working so here is a link to the google folder
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TAAR44LtluTU1p364lRGCmgP-K33GtAt

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

Colinoh wrote:
    I set myself a task, to build my rig, using only what I have lying around the shed. Mostly because I work awkward hours and can't get the time to buy proper materials.

Colinoh wrote:
    There isnt a straight cut or a square corner on the whole thing but it works damnit!! The pictures are crap and I wish I'd tae more during the "design" process. Just a few pictures I took while making it showing my balancing act trying to figure out the perfect angle for the pedals.

Colinoh wrote:
    The frame is made from 2x3 scraps with a few different thickness sheets of mdf and ply. The seat is from a wrecked Imprezza STI and it's in mint condition, just needed a hoover.

Look great, nice work! Love the inverted pedals ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Great Job, Love the booster seat :D

superg wrote: »

Haha was going to say the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Colinoh

superg wrote: »

Haha ya. My daughter plays minecraft and uses that to see over the wheel.

A while back I mentioned I wanted to build the amstudio analog handbrake for my rig.
    Not only did I finish it finally this week but I built 2 of them to go with my 2 shifters.
    One side for Left Hand Drive Cars and the other for Right Hand Drive cars, for maximum immersion in VR.

I bought the 3D printed parts from Arcade And Retro regular Stevex2.
    Absolutely delighted with his service, he always goes the extra mile.

Sliding potentiometer installed:
    UrEt27T.jpg

All the mechanical bits installed:
    3hSdD5v.jpg

Here's a video of me demonstrating how I use the switch boxes to switch between each side:

If you're interested in building one or need 3d parts printed you should have a look at Stevex2's thread here, it does say Arcade and Retro prints only but I'm sure he can accomodate you as his service is underused.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057513983

What I want to know is how have you got whatsapp on your PC?

• Advertisement

What I want to know is how have you got whatsapp on your PC?

:pac:

Download the Client for Windows here.

https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Then you need to scan a QRCode that comes up on your PC's screen using the App on your smart phone.
    When you open the whatsapp app on your smartphone hit the 3 dots up the top right corner, and tap WhatsApp Web. Then hit the + in the top right corner and that brings up the QR code scanner.

Your phone needs to be connected to the net to use it I think.

Doge wrote: »
    :pac:

Download the Client for Windows here.

https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Then you need to scan a QRCode that comes up on your PC's screen using the App on your smart phone.
    When you open the whatsapp app on your smartphone hit the 3 dots up the top right corner, and tap WhatsApp Web. Then hit the + in the top right corner and that brings up the QR code scanner.

Your phone needs to be connected to the net to use it I think.

So will that just mirror your whatsapp which is on your phone? Pretty handy if so

So will that just mirror your whatsapp which is on your phone? Pretty handy if so

Pretty much yeah!

Must muck around with that so :)

An back on topic...... I did end up buying that right off Amazon. Used it a bit and it's great. Just don't have the room to keep it out all the time, so it's under the stairs.... Out of sight, out of mind :( Think I will be getting it out though this week as a result of the thread bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Couple of recent upgrades here. I'm very happy with this setup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Getting back into simracing a lot lately, upgrading from G27 and desk setup to this helps a good bit.
    Not quite a full cockpit job or anywhere near top of line hardware but its rock solid and has increased my enjoyment tenfold, loving the new wheel.
    Maybe someday i can justify a direct drive wheel but i doubt it :)

XceMn3P.jpg?1

Dcully wrote: »
    Getting back into simracing a lot lately, upgrading from G27 and desk setup to this helps a good bit.
    Not quite a full cockpit job or anywhere near top of line hardware but its rock solid and has increased my enjoyment tenfold, loving the new wheel.
    Maybe someday i can justify a direct drive wheel but i doubt it :)

XceMn3P.jpg?1

Do you have it mounted without the top plate that comes with the GT Omega Wheel Stand?

Yeah its hard mounted to the omega top plate.

Only thing is ive noticed one of the mounting screws felt loose ,upon investigation the housing on the base of the wheel that takes the threaded bolt has slipped into the wheel itself and can hear it rattling around the base if i shake it.
    Im sure its fine but its bad form especially as the pedal connector that connects to the base doesnt click in place as its intended.
    I noticed this upon first day of use as i kept losing pedal inputs.
    A small bit of bluetac kept it in place but it wasnt ideal.

Thrustmaster dont seem to want to know and told me to contact the seller so i contacted overclockers where i bought it and they are offering a replacement or a refund.

While im loving the wheel these issues and countless more im hearing about the T300 failing i think ill go the refund route.

I might just buy a G29 at this stage, not as good but bomb proof reliability, kinda sorry i sold the G27 now lol.

Thrustmaster support is as much use as tits on a fish.

I wonder if Logitech will release a direct drive wheel soon, thats what the survey was hinting at.

Unfortunately due to an error in communication i didnt make it out there.

• Advertisement

I think ill hold onto it for now.
    Its working fine, its a joy to use infact with very smooth FFB, aesthetically its great too.
    Some people are saying the newer T300`s dont really have the issues of old ie motor overheating.
    To be on the safe side i use the option for always on cooling fan.
    If it does develop a serious issue ill be sending it back for sure.

If logitech did do a DD wheel i wonder will it be as expensive as the competition.
    You really can send what you like on sim gear.

You simracing much yourself these days Doge?

Advertisement