Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Sim Racing Rigs / DIY Projects here.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Danick

Doge wrote: »
    Would love to see other peoples rigs and also DIY projects on here, from the most humble to the most luxurious.

Today I finally made a detachable wooden base for the Toyota Celica bucket seat I bought a few weeks ago for €20.
    I used prepared 2x4 wood.

An angle grinder would have made cutting the steel rails much easier but instead i used a junior hacksaw and 10.8v drill and lots of elbow grease.
    I shaped the wood around the bits sticking out of the rails.

b8GHgdc.jpg

eCWI4Nk.jpg

YALcADk.jpg

ASkhnPe.jpg

SisSOmi.jpg

And finally here it is with PSVR on the seat:

Q8O9x8c.jpg

The result is a cheap and very comfortable seat.

Next up is I'll be adding a second shifter mount on the left for RHD cars, and using a DB9 extension cable so i can easily plug in each shifter without having to remove the wheel.

That looks class - just starting out - have PVSR, GT Omega Stand, G29 steering and pedals - love the idea of a Celica seat - great job!

I have a GT Omega Stand - will this attach to it - https://www.gtomega.eu/products/classic-rear-seat-frame?_pos=1&_sid=cc202b92b&_ss=r -if so which seat would you recommend? Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I believe that is the attachment you need for the standard GT Omega stand.
    Apparently they are working on one for the GT Omega Apex that i have but no info as of yet.
    Sorry i cant advise on seats.

Dcully wrote: »
    I believe that is the attachment you need for the standard GT Omega stand.
    Apparently they are working on one for the GT Omega Apex that i have but no info as of yet.
    Sorry i cant advise on seats.

Excellent - thanks!

No problem, enjoy :) and stick up some picks for us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Dcully wrote: »

You simracing much yourself these days Doge?

Havent sim raced all summer, due to other hobbies literally getting in the way!

Will probably get back into it in winter, thurlesdrunk would be the man to race online! I have literally no experience of racing online so dirt rally is my kind of race, where i cannot feck things up for other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Would love to get into Race sims. Was wondering if people recommend PC based or PS4 with a g29 or Thrustmaster? Was thinking of starting with Project Cars, appreciate any guidance on the best way to go in terms of equipment and games.
    Used to play F1 20 years ago with the Microsoft force feedback sidewinder, then family came a long and that was the end of that for 15 years.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Would love to get into Race sims. Was wondering if people recommend PC based or PS4 with a g29 or Thrustmaster? Was thinking of starting with Project Cars, appreciate any guidance on the best way to go in terms of equipment and games.
    Used to play F1 20 years ago with the Microsoft force feedback sidewinder, then family came a long and that was the end of that for 15 years.....:)

I would definitely recommend going with a PC setup if possible. I started out sim racing on PS4, which was great a the time. But the better choice of sims, compatability of hardware and selection of mods/VR support moved me over to PC eventually and the difference is night and day.
    Sim wise check out Assetto Corsa. Its a great one to start with, good physics/ffb and huge modding community with hundreds of cars/tracks.
    Project Cars 2 was'nt my cup of tea physics wise but could be worth checking out the demo of it and see if it feels okay for you. With some of the FFB mods it does feel alot better, and looks great in VR if you go that route.
    I'd highly recommend Raceroom. Its free to try with a small selection of cars and tracks. You can purchase cars or tracks on their own after that, or packs. Awesome FFB and audio.

IRacing is awesome if you after online racing side of it, but it can be expensive. Rfactor 2 is excellent, amazing physics.
    Automobilista is another gem, similar to Rfactor, running on the same engine I think.

Either G29 or T150 are great wheels to begin with. I'd go for a T150 starting, bit thats just my preference. Black Friday not too far away if you can wait., you could pick up a decent deal

I would definitely recommend going with a PC setup if possible. I started out sim racing on PS4, which was great a the time. But the better choice of sims, compatability of hardware and selection of mods/VR support moved me over to PC eventually and the difference is night and day.
    Sim wise check out Assetto Corsa. Its a great one to start with, good physics/ffb and huge modding community with hundreds of cars/tracks.
    Project Cars 2 was'nt my cup of tea physics wise but could be worth checking out the demo of it and see if it feels okay for you. With some of the FFB mods it does feel alot better, and looks great in VR if you go that route.
    I'd highly recommend Raceroom. Its free to try with a small selection of cars and tracks. You can purchase cars or tracks on their own after that, or packs. Awesome FFB and audio.

IRacing is awesome if you after online racing side of it, but it can be expensive. Rfactor 2 is excellent, amazing physics.
    Automobilista is another gem, similar to Rfactor, running on the same engine I think.

Either G29 or T150 are great wheels to begin with. I'd go for a T150 starting, bit thats just my preference. Black Friday not too far away if you can wait., you could pick up a decent deal

Thats excellent feedback, thanks for taking the time to share that.
    I was looking at PC's last evening and it would appear that id probably need to spend over a grand to start if i was to get an i7 based with a good graphics card, so i think ill start with a wheel and a PS4 and see how it goes. ill get Automobilsta for PS4 and go from there, was also thinking of Project Cars......if i am loving it, then ill invest in a PC setup.
    thanks again!

Automobilista is PC only im afraid, the only real road course sims on console is assetto corsa but as mentioned its very limited compared to the PC version.
    Dirt rally is superb and is on console i believe, dont mistake it for the arcadey dirt title, its Dirt Rally you want.
    Pcars is definitely bottom of the pile in the sim world,poor physics and ffb compared to the competition but might see you through for a while.
    F1 2019 while not a sim is rather good and will offer an immersive race weekend experience.

• Advertisement

Thats excellent feedback, thanks for taking the time to share that.
    I was looking at PC's last evening and it would appear that id probably need to spend over a grand to start if i was to get an i7 based with a good graphics card, so i think ill start with a wheel and a PS4 and see how it goes. ill get Automobilsta for PS4 and go from there, was also thinking of Project Cars......if i am loving it, then ill invest in a PC setup.
    thanks again!

Yes, as DCully says, Automobilistais'nt available on PS4. Which is a real shame as its a gem, and the 2nd one is looking to be amazing.

Also, to echo DCully, Going with the PS4 then I'd definitely go with Assetto Corsa first. imo it's the most realistic physics/ffb by far on the PS4. Then Dirt Rally aswell, brillant brillant game. I havnt tried Dirt Rally 2 yet but looks to be the same.

Outside of those it leaves PCars 2 and Gran Turismo Sport. PCars 2 broke my heart on PS4, it was a real disappointment to what they promised....Maybe worth picking up in a bargain basket imo.
    I havnt played GT Sport but the online racing side of it is supposed to work well, and the graphics are great from what I've seen.

tbh i'd still try go the PC route though, even consider picking up a 2nd hand medium spec pc. Would be grand running the likes of Assetto and RFactor/Automobilista. Can always upgrade later down the line if you really want to run all graphicsal settings on ultra on the newer titles.

But PS4 obviously going to be the cheaper road.

Yes, as DCully says, Automobilistais'nt available on PS4. Which is a real shame as its a gem, and the 2nd one is looking to be amazing.

Also, to echo DCully, Going with the PS4 then I'd definitely go with Assetto Corsa first. imo it's the most realistic physics/ffb by far on the PS4. Then Dirt Rally aswell, brillant brillant game. I havnt tried Dirt Rally 2 yet but looks to be the same.

Outside of those it leaves PCars 2 and Gran Turismo Sport. PCars 2 broke my heart on PS4, it was a real disappointment to what they promised....Maybe worth picking up in a bargain basket imo.
    I havnt played GT Sport but the online racing side of it is supposed to work well, and the graphics are great from what I've seen.

tbh i'd still try go the PC route though, even consider picking up a 2nd hand medium spec pc. Would be grand running the likes of Assetto and RFactor/Automobilista. Can always upgrade later down the line if you really want to run all graphicsal settings on ultra on the newer titles.

But PS4 obviously going to be the cheaper road.

Thanks again......I hope this question isn't too demanding, but what does a medium spec PC look like and whats the perspective on Intel vs AMD?
    I assume a GTX1050 would be the minimum graphics needed and i assume a Ryzen 5 or base i7 would also be min spec needed?

might be a nice project to do..... :)

Thanks again......I hope this question isn't too demanding, but what does a medium spec PC look like and whats the perspective on Intel vs AMD?
    I assume a GTX1050 would be the minimum graphics needed and i assume a Ryzen 5 or base i7 would also be min spec needed?

might be a nice project to do..... :)

When I moved over from PS4 to PC I bought a secondhand PC, GTX970, i5 6400, 8gig ram. It ran most of the sim's on high settings to be honest. It even managed to run VR, all on low settings. Something along that spec would get you started for sure.
    I think I paid around the 400 mark for it about a year and a half ago. It did the job and I slowly upgraded some of the components later to get better performance out of the VR.
    Could be worth keeping an eye on adverts for a bargain, or the components to bulid one up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey all just ordered myself a desk from Amazon yesterday and a decent enough swivel chair but now I'm thinking would swivel chair be too unstable for using this get into a bit of proper sim racing? Is there usually anyway if locking the swivel part of gaming chairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hey all just ordered myself a desk from Amazon yesterday and a decent enough swivel chair but now I'm thinking would swivel chair be too unstable for using this get into a bit of proper sim racing? Is there usually anyway if locking the swivel part of gaming chairs?

I wouldn't fancy racing in a swivel chair tbh, even if it can't spin it'll still be flexing a good bit when your doing some hard cornering.
    And when you brake hard it'll want to move backwards too.

I wouldn't fancy racing in a swivel chair tbh, even if it can't spin it'll still be flexing a good bit when your doing some hard cornering.
    And when you brake hard it'll want to move backwards too.

I probably didnt think it through enough haha i might just rip it apart and make a wooden box base for it or something The chair part of it looks really comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I probably didnt think it through enough haha i might just rip it apart and make a wooden box base for it or something The chair part of it looks really comfy.

That's an option alright. You could also buy a leather front passenger seat from a Volvo and mount it on a wooden plint. Passenger seats usually have less wear on them and Volvo seats are extremely comfortable!

I got a bucket seat from an sti and it's overkill really. You don't really need side bolsters for sim racing. They do look cool though.

EDIT.

You'll get a nice seat for about €30 from a scrap yard.

Yep that's solid advice and what I done with my setup.
    Got a Toyota Celica car seat for 20 quid on adverts and laid a tenner to have it delivered as I dont drive in real life.
    Doggies don't drive in real life, or do they? ;)

A wheel stand might be an idea to to get the perfect height on the wheel. But the desk might be fine.

Would love to see other peoples rigs and also DIY projects on here, from the most humble to the most luxurious.

Today I finally made a detachable wooden base for the Toyota Celica bucket seat I bought a few weeks ago for €20.
    I used prepared 2x4 wood.

An angle grinder would have made cutting the steel rails much easier but instead i used a junior hacksaw and 10.8v drill and lots of elbow grease.
    I shaped the wood around the bits sticking out of the rails.

b8GHgdc.jpg

eCWI4Nk.jpg

YALcADk.jpg

ASkhnPe.jpg

SisSOmi.jpg

And finally here it is with PSVR on the seat:

Q8O9x8c.jpg

The result is a cheap and very comfortable seat.

Next up is I'll be adding a second shifter mount on the left for RHD cars, and using a DB9 extension cable so i can easily plug in each shifter without having to remove the wheel.

Thanks guys I have the wheel stand Pro version 2 already bought it off one of the mods in here nearly 2 years ago but didn't like using it on couch so only now getting around to setting up spare room with a desk and stuff to try it properly.

I dont have loads of space so thinking of keeping the chair at desk height so I can still use it for normal gaming too an just have the wheel stand that I can slide In front of the desk and keep my TV on desk too so a sturdy wooden box frame probably be best way to go.

Using a rather large TV for the moment as I just want to get into it and see if its something I could enjoy and sink some time into before I go spending anymore :P.

Don't know of you could call it a rig but hey its better then sitting on a couch 15 feet from TV :p

20191104-125559.jpg

20191104-125532.jpg

The chair is not actually that bad yet it will do me for a while until I get a bit more serious it's still very enjoyable played a bit of Dirt Rally 2.0 will try a few others like Ac over coming days.

• Advertisement

Great looking setup man!

Great looking setup man!

Thanks mate happy enough with it now for a while haha took me about 2 years from when I bought the wheel haha.

Thanks mate happy enough with it now for a while haha took me about 2 years from when I bought the wheel haha.

You'll have to go VR next! :D

You'll have to go VR next! :D

Actually is on my bucket list id love to try it eventually. I might be tempted next year to go with VAR instead of upgrading the tv to a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Aeghnor

Before:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jupKtf4kg8LLUG1n8

After:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JKBa8S887GC19eoJ8

Gear:
    Thurstmaster TS-XW Sparco 310
    Xbox series X
    55 inch LG tv
    Sim Lab GT1- EVO cockpit

Play mainly F1 2020 and waiting for either a sale or complete edition of ACC. Not the fastest and still using assists (abs, tc, cornering line) but i hope i will get there eventually.

Nice setup! Much cleaner looking now.

Advertisement