Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation Culture to a new level

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Could we not get like a megathread for all these compo posts? I really couldn't care less anymore

+1.

Yes some claims are obviously nuts but, like, it's not worth angrying up the blood over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

She's a silly fcuking bastard.

I have no problem with genuine personal injury claims but fcuk this fcuking stupid thunder cnut.

20k for hitting her knee off a table leg while she was under her own control.

I'd be a fcuking millionaire if I sued everytime I had an owie that was my fault.

What a fcuking d1ckhead! This is why insurance policies are high.

She needs a fcuking reality check.

And a big fcuking kick in the gee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Oh FFS. I thought the woman experienced hill walker who got a Boo Boo cause she wasn't watching where she was going was bad but these claims get worse by the day (which seems to be the frequency we are hearing about such ridiculous claims these days). Plaintiff and solicitor ought to be ashamed. Complete mockery of the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I have no problem with genuine personal injury claims but fcuk this fcuking stupid thunder cnut.

I'd be a fcuking millionaire if I sued everytime I had an owie that was my fault.

Say what you really feel :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

She looks really upset outside the court. You can tell she's still shaken up by the whole affair and would rather have her health back than the money.

http://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article35580265.ece/6bb17/BINARY/annette003.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I am a primary teacher and work in several different rooms, some so crammed that I bang my knees most days. I could be a multi-millionaire by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Bang your knee die to the negligence of the defendant - this is key.
    Go to a solicitor and flop down a few hundred for reports.
    Solicitor will know 'sypathetic' engineers and docotors. Propbably only a doctor needed in this case.
    Go through the PIAB (Which doesn't need the solicitor) get leave to go to court
    Go to court
    Probably lose and end up out of pocket.
    Win and be lambasted on boards.ie.

At any point the claim might be settled short curcuiting the above.

That makes me wonder how many claims like these result in the plaintiff losing and ending up out of pocket.

It's just really weird that someone would have the confidence to go to court with a flimsy argument like "I banged my knee"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

oneilla wrote: »
    That makes me wonder how many claims like these result in the plaintiff losing and ending up out of pocket.

It's just really weird that someone would have the confidence to go to court with a flimsy argument like "I banged my knee"

Plaintiffs case though here was extremely strong. It's textbook negligence. People just think it's silly becuase of the surrounding facts. The quantum if damages aren't related to how stupid the surrounding circumstances are, they're related to the proven injury on the medicial report.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's the problem, she didn't need a cheque but got a fcuking massive one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I cannot see any reason why this was awarded. Has our legal system switched off? Sold out? It is a farce and a laughing stock, except we foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Beats working for a living though, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

To be fair....the hotel didn't have a leg to stand on...

I'll get my coat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

166man wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-banged-her-knee-against-table-leg-at-restaurant-awarded-20k-35579644.html

When is there going to be something sensible done about this? €20k for knocking your knee off a dinner table.. Most clear case of claims harvesting by the solicitors.

Sickening to read it.

it will get worse , cause no one can question the morality of the judiciary -
    Whers her own responsibility for checking where she herself puts her knees ?

She looked happy enough leaving court -

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's the problem, she didn't need a cheque but got a fcuking massive one.

That was awful.

You are much better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

She claimed the leg of the table was a trap ?????? - what sort of crazy world do we live in -

Ms Justice Faherty affirmed the lower court’s finding and increased damages to €20,000 and costs.

Well done Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I wonder if this person in the above case takes part in claims harvesting.

There were a number of shocking cases where you wouldn't think it will ever stop.

One case was a man from Blanchcardstown who got €20k from Centra accused of stealing a €2 pastry.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-falsely-accused-of-stealing-2-pastry-from-centra-awarded-20000-35571978.html

There was one good outcome out of all of this as it was the case of a schoolboy in Enfield in Co.Meath.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/schoolboy-15-injured-after-cycling-wrong-way-on-roundabout-loses-60k-damages-claim-35576221.html

There are two more good articles from the Indo about this type of culture from Charlie Weston & Pat McDonagh (The founder of Supermacs).

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/charlie-weston-we-must-come-down-hard-on-scammers-and-their-lawyers-35574302.html

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/chancers-are-trying-it-on-compo-culture-is-back-again-35574304.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

She looks really upset outside the court. You can tell she's still shaken up by the whole affair and would rather have her health back than the money.

http://cdn-03.independent.ie/incoming/article35580265.ece/6bb17/BINARY/annette003.jpg

Some neck. I'd be ashamed to be seen in public after pulling a stunt like that. Then again I or most sensible people wouldn't dream of making an issue out of something so trivial because it would only highlight stupidity on our part. If she can't get her legs under a table I certainly wouldn't trust her with a comb and scissors. There's a lot of "professional" people involved in these cases and they're blatantly making sh1t up to make it look good. They're all looking after each other and making good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Haha crazy Yanks

Oh wait :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

gifted wrote: »
    To be fair....the hotel didn't have a leg to stand on...

Ah here, there is no kneed for that, Dr. Patella said she was in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have you know op that the table was an extremely dangerous hazard and that this poor innocent woman, who in her spare time helps the homeless, was a victim of carelessness by the soulless restaurateurs.

Ever since this travesty she can no longer partake in 80k runs she would do in her one hour lunch break and in between helping said homelessness of course.
    Not to mention the mental toll it's taken on her. All the sleepless nights and what ever sleep she does get is usually broken by cold sweats... Also the fear of tables and any other 4 legged furniture now.

It is in my opinion that 20k is simply not enough...

Richard Head
    Solicitor at law :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've worked in insurance for a number of years and have posted extensively about it across a few forums and did an AMA about it.

I have been called an insurance industry apologist by a number of people.

I have been called a liar by a number of people when I have posted about the claims culture in Ireland and how that is the primary driver of increased insurance premiums.

It is with a certain level of smugness that stuff like this vindicates what I have been saying for the last couple of years.

The whole thing is rotten, from the thieves that make the fraudulent claims (thats what they are) to the parasitic solicitors that represent them (not all of them are leeches but when what they get paid is directly effected by what their client are awarded then there is little reason to think that many of them have any morals) to the incompetent judges making the awards, its little wonder that premiums have rocketed.

I do however feel that things are somewhat turning a corner.

There have been a few high profile claims thrown out recently, the young fella that cycled into the jeep and a couple of others where the judge ruled against the claimant because there was no way that the low impact of the collision could have caused the injuries they were saying they had. Its a start but there is still a huge way to go.

To give you a real world example. A case came across my desk recently where our policy holder bumped into the back of a third party. They were stopped in traffic so clearly there couldn't be much of an impact and the total repair costs for both cars was around €450 for a bit of buffing. The third party immediately began claiming neck pain, sent in his solicitors letter etc. Its as plain as the nose on my face that there are no injuries and its a complete try on.

The claims dept know the claimant is lying however whiplash claims are notoriously difficult to defend against so they offered a settlement of €7500 - €10,000 plus costs to make him go away. His solicitor rejected the offer outright and told the claims department that the minimum they will consider is €20,000 plus costs. Our claims department rightly told him to piss off so now its being investigated.

People often lament insurers settling "on the steps" rather than defending the claim but there is good reasons for it. To date, we have spent over €5000 between assessors fees, medical assessor fees and investigator fees. Thats without going to court. So you see its often the cheapest option to give the try on a few quid to go away rather than try and defend in full and potentially end up in the high court paying multiples of what they could spend by settling quickly.

I read through the case file and without giving details I am confident that when this goes to court the case will be thrown out but when its in the hands of a judge you never can tell.

Funnily people were giving jambon man grief for claiming yesterday. Tbh he was right, now the award of €20k was ridiculous however he was slandered and he deserved reparation for that, not near what he got but he would be entitled to something.

What needs to happen sooner rather than later is for caps to be introduced.

The very top of the list should be a cap on legal fees.

The injuries board was set up specifically, specifically to try and cut out the legal system from insurance claims due to the length of time cases were taking to be heard and the costs associated yet around 90% of injuries board cases are involving people represented by solicitors.

I guarantee that if the legal fees available for whiplash / soft tissue fees were capped at €500 per case we would see a massive drop in both the number of cases and the number of cases that make it to courts.

Solicitors fees are in the region of 20% to 30% of the settlement amount so for the €20k claim in the OP their representative likely got €5000 to €6000 for it, talk about money for old rope!

Unproveable injuries such as the one in the OP should be capped at a max of €5000.

There should be penalties, actual enforceable penalties for those that are found to be making false claims.

Minimum fines of €1000 to €5000 should be given to those that deliberately try and defraud an insurer.

I'd love to see a system whereby people that report fraudsters get rewarded. Say 20% off their premium if the claim being made is found to fraudulent.

Aside from the last thing these are relatively simple measures to implement and I have no doubt that they would save millions each year.

Ultimately though the claims environment rests with the public, there is little accountability anymore and we live in a world where recklessness, stupidity and out right lying reaps massive rewards.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, the potential of receiving a nice fat compo cheque turns otherwise stand up people into absolute bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Save your opprobrium. She'll plough the €20k back into the economy in one way or another.

Save your opprobrium. She'll plough the €20k back into the economy in one way or another.

Cakes by the looks of it.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I've worked in insurance for a number of years and have posted extensively about it across a few forums and did an AMA about it.

Sorry I missed that AMA. If I may then, why have insurance companies refused to publish a breakdown of costs, e.g., how the premium is calculated. Why are insurance companies being given until Q2 of 2018 for legislation (which knowing Irish politics will take significantly longer) enforcing this requirement?

Now what good for the goose... legal fess should be transparent but the business of insurance companies is in a large part legal anyone who thinks otherwise simply isn't thinking it through.

Incidentally caps are an absolutely outrageous idea, one you will no doubt be thanked for until the cows come home by the morons who think that all claims a spurious. If someone is genuinely injured that injury needs to be compensated. Penalties etc. I could not agree more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Well Done Annette O Connor go on nice world cruse enjoy your 20000 euros best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sorry I missed that AMA. If I may then, why have insurance companies refused to publish a breakdown of costs, e.g., how the premium is calculated. Why are insurance companies being given until Q2 of 2018 for legislation (which knowing Irish politics will take significantly longer) enforcing this requirement?

Now what good for the goose... legal fess should be transparent but the business of insurance companies is in a large part legal anyone who thinks otherwise simply isn't thinking it through.

Incidentally caps are an absolutely outrageous idea, one you will no doubt be thanked for until the cows come home by the morons who think that all claims a spurious. If someone is genuinely injured that injury needs to be compensated. Penalties etc. I could not agree more.

You might want to back up the truck there horse box, here is what I said.

Unproveable injuries such as the one in the OP should be capped at a max of €5000.

Unproveable being the operative word. Obviously some people suffer severe, sometimes life changing injuries should rightly be compensated for it. Someone that bangs their knee should not.

Wrt premium calculation, why should they publish how they calculate their premiums? Many people say the industry is a cartel, if every company published their rates ie how much they charge for various driver profiles then obviously other companies would react and start replicating the pricing, charging the perceived higher risk drivers more, that would end up with there being a cartel situation. There is also the fact that its not just a simple case of saying driver type A gets premium 1, the premium calculations are based on granular actuarial data so there is a huge amount of behind the scenes workings.

I absolutely agree that there should be more transparency with respect to claims payments. Insurers should be held to task and be obliged to release how much they are paying in claims, the various costings etc. They do themselves no favours and I can fully understand why people get annoyed when they see a chunky premium increase for no apparent reason.

For the record, I know insurers are not blameless in all this, far from it. There were alot of pricing mistakes made, established companies got into a fist fight with the likes of 123 and Setanta which resulted in an unsustainable shortfall in reserves.

Some big changes are needed across the board.

You might want to back up the truck there horse box, here is what I said.

Unproveable being the operative word. Obviously some people suffer severe, sometimes life changing injuries should rightly be compensated for it. Someone that bangs their knee should not.

You simply can't make that determination. If you want to pursue doctors who give spurious diagnoses I'm all for it, but you can't make a decision on a case based on what seems right to you.
    Wrt premium calculation, why should they publish how they calculate their premiums? Many people say the industry is a cartel, if every company published their rates ie how much they charge for various driver profiles then obviously other companies would react and start replicating the pricing, charging the perceived higher risk drivers more, that would end up with there being a cartel situation. There is also the fact that its not just a simple case of saying driver type A gets premium 1, the premium calculations are based on granular actuarial data so there is a huge amount of behind the scenes workings.

Nice try at dodging it, but the issue would be we'd see that while legal fees might be a driving factor there are other factors at play. This is why the insurance industry is more than happy to play into the mindless hype. It looks like ye will be getting away with it too, as it's going to be years before they are forced to show what is making up their premiums.
    I absolutely agree that there should be more transparency with respect to claims payments. Insurers should be held to task and be obliged to release how much they are paying in claims, the various costings etc. They do themselves no favours and I can fully understand why people get annoyed when they see a chunky premium increase for no apparent reason.

For the record, I know insurers are not blameless in all this, far from it. There were alot of pricing mistakes made, established companies got into a fist fight with the likes of 123 and Setanta which resulted in an unsustainable shortfall in reserves.

Some big changes are needed across the board.

I'll certainly concede you're giving it some balance there.

Edit: You can safely insert 'insurance industry' for 'you' in many cases above, it wasn't meant to sound personal, except where it was! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

What's the best way of highlighting this crap? Letter or email to the local TD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The claims dept know the claimant is lying however whiplash claims are notoriously difficult to defend against so they offered a settlement of €7500 - €10,000 plus costs to make him go away. His solicitor rejected the offer outright and told the claims department that the minimum they will consider is €20,000 plus costs. Our claims department rightly told him to piss off so now its being investigated.

I'd be interested to know what the cost point is that the insurers decide to simply follow the claimant to observe the extent of their supposed incapacity. If 10k is the difference here is that enough to send out an observer for a few days? I'd take great satisfaction in filming someone swinging their kids around while suffering fake whiplash.

Advertisement