Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you sacrifice for the island whole again?

Options
  • 30-03-2017 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this since it is quite relevant right now. I'm thinking about how we would manage to integrate the 6 counties back into our country, if it ever occurred.

I think myself that it wont only be the €6000 tax per a household that I being told by others about but genuine steps will need to be made in order to integrate the whole of Ulster.

I think myself that if it were to occur the whole of parliament would need to be moved to Belfast. Could we continue to call the Garda the Garda?

So what would you be willing to sacrifice for a 32 counties?

Oh and I realise in advance I'm leaving my self quite open for abuse, but then I think about Martin McGuinness reaching across the table with his arm out reached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

'Bout three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Southern Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Nothing.

Let Northern Ireland be independent if it wants, but no thanks to unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I wouldn't sacrifice anything. I'm already paying far too much in tax.
    NI should be independent if they want out of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Nothing. Don't want the basket case that is Northern Ireland. I don't fancy the loyalist uprising that it would cause. I've seen enough of it in the past. I don't want the expense....it would mean much higher taxes for security and social welfare (theirs is much lower than ours). I quite like Ireland as it is. It's nice to feel safe without the threat of terrorist attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

nothing. wether Ireland is unified again is of little consequence to me. Sure I'd like to see it but I'm not all that bothered if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zero interest in a United Ireland, it would cost us a lot more than that €6k tax you mentioned and it's simply not something we can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I'd sacrifice a few pallets and tyres for a July 12th bonfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

voz es wrote: »
    I think myself that if it were to occur the whole of parliament would need to be moved to Belfast.
    Wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Change of Facebook filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Would a unified Ireland mean the end to fireworks runs up to Newry and beyond at Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I wouldn't sacrifice anything. If it was beneficial and democractically arrived at then happy days. I occationally see various things poping up telling me it would be a major boost to the economcy etc. etc. but I never read them to see if they've actually done any research or just pulled the idea out their arse. I suspect the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your life

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

voz es wrote: »
    I think myself that if it were to occur the whole of parliament would need to be moved to Belfast.
    Fcuk that! They're joining Ireland, not the other way around!

I'd sacrifice the catholic church. Become Protestants :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I would do anything for love

But I won't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

55p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Something like 220,000 people in northern ireland work in the UK public sector. Absorbing that in a united ireland would be a tad difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

biko wrote: »
    Your life

Cry Freedom Biko, Cry Freedom I tell you :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Winterlong wrote: »
    Something like 220,000 people in northern ireland work in the UK public sector. Absorbing that in a united ireland would be a tad difficult.

That is bloody Massive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

A lister diesel cement mixer, we could build a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I was actually involved in this situation. Lived in Germany during re-unification. They needed to impose a Tax to pay for it. I was happy to pay, a lot of the the Germans just bitched and moaned about the Tax and could care less about the freedom/return of their fellow Germans and the historic significance.

There is always a percentage of people who claim to be proud to be Irish and wave flags and wear jerseys but bury their head in the sand when Irish people are mistreated and would gladly screw over their fellow Irishman if it meant an extra euro in their wage packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You're right it won't be €6000 per household - it'll be more like €7,500 per household per year in the immediate aftermath of re-unification.

I'd give up our crappy public services if we meant we got better ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A lister diesel cement mixer, we could build a wall.

In Ireland it's more of a lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

They'd probably go on strike first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

the_syco wrote: »
    Fcuk that! They're joining Ireland, not the other way around!

I'd sacrifice the catholic church. Become Protestants :pac:

Having effectively married into Protestantism, I can reassure you that I'm feeling 15% less guilty and the traybakes are exquisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I for one am patently thrilled at the prospect of assmilating the lumpen Loyalist working class into our society.

I'd sacrifice Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I'd sacrifice Donegal.

Is Donegal even real sure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement