Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters who 'broke into' pensioner's home ordered to vacate premises by Wednesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

222233 wrote: »
    Auction it off, proceeds to charity if an owner can't be located after say 100 years...

It goes back to the state I think

I rent out my home while I'm abroad to pay my mortgage, and while there is demand for places... each time I get a new tenant the place needs to be redone. Paint, damages, etc. Very few tenants I've had have left the place in good nick. Which means my place is vacant for a time while everything is being fixed up. (which depending on some workmen can take quite a long time :rolleyes: )

Vacant buildings can be vacant for lots of other reasons than simply it's empty and not being used.

If Squatters enter my house, that should be breaking and entering. Which, I thought, was a crime. If squatters sit on my front or back garden, that's tresspass, which, I thought, was also a crime.

Utterly bizarre the way, the application of the law has gone. Pay your taxes and obey the laws... and what do you get? Second place to those who break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

FTA69 wrote: »
    ... Or that having empty tower blocks owned by Chinese and Russian millionaires surrounded by people paying fortunes in rent or unable to get housing causes problems?....

I can't afford to live in Monaco. Is there some reason I should be entitled to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Grand. So what if I bought a house next door to you and started piling my rubbish 30 foot high out the back and blaring music until 3am every night. Would that be ok with you? It's my gaff after all.

Weak argument, the subject of the thread is vacant buildings which I'm making the point that it's up to the owner if that's what they want to do with it.

Like the way England owned Ireland that time?

Yes because someone buying a property is exactly the same scenario as invading another country....

• Advertisement

Why not though? If no one claims ownership of, say some land, why shouldn't someone else claim ownership. There exists abandoned land, what should happen to it? No-one own it?

Have you ever come across land that nobody owns?

I certainly haven't and I live in the countryside, if you live in a city where property is much more expensive you can be sure there is an owner for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

bubblypop wrote: »
    When I retire, i intend to live overseas for the majority of the year. At the moment, i would also intend to leave a property in Dublin, for my use when i come back.
    Would anyone seriously think squatters moving into my property would be in the right?

I'd seriously consider renting the house while your away. While its unlikely squatters will take it, it might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This has nothing to do with adverse possession, what is sometimes termed 'squatters rights'. Adverse possession is a necessary process to avoid land values declining. This is about trespass being a civil and not a criminal matter. There is no way that these guys could claim adverse possession of that house even if they stayed there for years as AP is very easily dislodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't think it applies to that kind of thing.

But let's say you were a developer and you developed a ghost estate in the middle of, say, Longford, and you had no intention of finishing it and you left it go derelict.
    If a homeless person moved in what's the harm? The property gets used, it makes no difference to the developer and it takes someone off the housing list at least for a while. Win-Win.
    There was a woman did that same stunt in a housing estate in cork a few years ago, it went to court and the gardaí had to drag her out of the house and rightly so.

bubblypop wrote: »
    When I retire, i intend to live overseas for the majority of the year. At the moment, i would also intend to leave a property in Dublin, for my use when i come back.
    Would anyone seriously think squatters moving into my property would be in the right?

Homeless person vs. your right to private property. A property you're leaving empty for most of the time it would seem. While I actually don't think it's right it's not as clear cut as you're suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Homeless person vs. your right to private property. A property you're leaving empty for most of the time it would seem. While I actually don't think it's right it's not as clear cut as you're suggesting.

Should people not be free to do with their property as they wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Weak argument, the subject of the thread is vacant buildings which I'm making the point that it's up to the owner if that's what they want to do with it.

Nah youre the one who brought up the argument that people can do whatever they like with their own gaff and that the common good is a fiction. I pointed out one instance where that wouldn't apply and because it doesn't suit you, you won't address it.

I can guarantee that if you lived on a street and speculators bought up houses on either side of you that they allowed to be vacant, boarded up and the scene of all the problems vacant housing brings then you'd be up in arms about it.

Whether you like to admit it or not; our actions have impacts on other people and communities in general and declaring "it's my property" doesn't change that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Pay your taxes and obey the laws... and what do you get? Second place to those who break the law.

I made a similar comment on a thread about a man who was facing jail for shooting a burglar in the arm, I can't recall the particulars.

It's as if their crimes are inevitable and we must go out of our way to accommodate them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can guarantee that if you lived on a street and speculators bought up houses on either side of you that they allowed to be vacant, boarded up and the scene of all the problems vacant housing brings then you'd be up in arms about it.

I used to live on such a street in Hove. I was living with the brother of one such speculator at the time. Lovely chap. However, what you're proposing sets a dangerous precedent. These houses are still people's property. Squatters should have no right whatsoever to enter them without the owner's consent. I would fully endorse tax disincentives to this nonsense but it's impossible with both the right and left fully in favour of restricting housing supply which creates these incentives to begin with.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

20% and 40%.

I'll see your "40%" and raise you USC and PRSI.

Workers - keeping fat cats fat and scroungers fed and housed since the year dot.

Not sure if you can say that nowadays, it could be perceived as populist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

If Squatters enter my house, that should be breaking and entering. Which, I thought, was a crime. If squatters sit on my front or back garden, that's tresspass, which, I thought, was also a crime.

I always assumed that if I came home after work and found someone in my house claiming squatters rights that I could grab them by the scruff of the neck and chuck them out. Why on earth couldn't I?

Seems ludicrous that I would have to hire a solicitor and go to court and maybe get my house back in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This case is very distressing for the elderly owner who is in poor health according to the item in The Journal.

Why can't the 'squatters' go round and camp in the front garden of the Minister for Housing? They would then get all the publicity they can handle and be relocated to a nice warm room with three free meals a day in Mountjoy for as long as they liked, with the added bonus of free medical attention and clothing. Its a no-brainer, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nah screw that, your actions impact on others and nobody's property rights should supersede the common good. To give an example, what would happen if 25% of houses on a road were owned by speculators were left vacant and as a result the rest of the community had to put up with the dereliction and anti-social behaviour that comes with that? Housing is an important resource and hoarding it in such a fashion to the detriment of everyone else is just plain wrong.

Here in London we have entire apartment blocks that are often left empty, giant money-laundering schemes that facilitate empty homes while the rest of us face a chronic housing crisis. There should be massive tax incentives for vacant properties up to and including seizure of the property.

Squatters taking a vacant property is not a "common good". In most cases squatters are not good law abiding citizens and are a nightmare for neighbours.

If i own a property it should be my right to do with it as i wish without causing harm to my neighbours.

Now based on my above statement i do think the following should apply:
    • I need to keep the property in good presentable condition. Garden, Windows, rubbish etc.
    • I believe the government should impose a tax on vacant property which has been vacant for an extended period of time ie. 1 year or more. If i own a property and want to leave it vacant than its my decision and i will pay the tax.
    • The law should fully protect my right to do what i want with the property and squatters should be removed with force by Gardai immediately upon finding them squatting.

I will say that there have been cases of people squatting in vacant/incomplete houses which have been incomplete for years with no sign of them being completed. In these cases i think squatting can be OK but only on the condition that the property is owned by a company and not an individual and that the squatters should never gain legal ownership.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

222233 wrote: »
    Perhaps there are many reasons why someone would leave a building vacant? Maybe you shouldn't assume they are selfish.

Not everyone WANTS to profit from their buildings, tenants might be too much hassle for someone. That person MAY want to move into THEIR building one day or perhaps keep if for family without risking it being destroyed by those in the rental market.

Maybe the property is not suitable to be let due to legal, aesthetic or construction reasons. Maybe that person is planning on renovating. Maybe that person is not available to make decisions about that property. Maybe the person purchased the property as a project or to move into at a later stage. Maybe the property was inherited and the person does not want to let it for sentimental reasons.

There is plenty of property out there, people just need to accept that they can't always live 5 mins from their ma, or accept that if they wish to rent they may have to commute to work or possibly move out into the country somewhere.

Those are pretty much all dictionary definitions of selfish. You wouldn't last long in court if that's the best you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is Glen Hansard going to throw a concert in the front garden?

Good thinking - they won't be long moving on once he starts up:D

• Advertisement

Herron, who told the court Kavanagh’s belongings had been safely stored,
    represented himself with the help of a McKenzie friend.

WTF is a McKenzie friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

WTF is a McKenzie friend?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKenzie_friend

Never heard of it before either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Those are pretty much all dictionary definitions of selfish. You wouldn't last long in court if that's the best you can do.

No that's your definition of selfish.

I pretty much agree with all the reasons that the poster listed as valid for a property being empty.

I have not heard one valid reason why squatters rights is even a thing. If I arrive to my property and someone is squatting I should have the right (since I own it) to get them thrown out there and then without going to court etc.

Its like saying if I park up my car then anyone should just be able to use it.

It's ridiculous that these tossers have been allowed to stay in that mans house for 6 months!
    It makes absolutely no difference if he was living there or it was empty, or if he has 2 houses or 22 houses - they're his no matter how many he has.

I guarantee this "film maker" is a scruffy layabout twat who has barely worked a day in his life but knows all about his "entitlements".
    If it was my parents house he was in he'd have seen the error of his ways in 6 hours, not 6 months, and the only entitlement he'd be concerned about is whether or not he's entitled to get his film camera removed form his scruffy work shy hole on the medical card:mad:

Nah youre the one who brought up the argument that people can do whatever they like with their own gaff and that the common good is a fiction. I pointed out one instance where that wouldn't apply and because it doesn't suit you, you won't address it.

Whether you like to admit it or not; our actions have impacts on other people and communities in general and declaring "it's my property" doesn't change that fact.

What's to address?

You come out with a bullsh1t statement about living next to someone who has rubbish all over their property, now anyone I know who bought a house pays to have rubbish taken away.

The only people who throw their rubbish around the place are travellers and there's no way in hell I'd live next to any of them.

Also don't presume to know what I'd be up in arms over, if buildings were left vacant it's none of my business what the owners do with them.

Should people not be free to do with their property as they wish?

They're not even able to do that now in arguably the most protective state in the world. (Ireland has a double constitution protection on Private property)

Real property ownership has never been absolute.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I guarantee this "film maker" is a scruffy layabout twat who has barely worked a day in his life but knows all about his "entitlements". If it was my parents house he was in he'd have seen the error of his ways in 6 hours, not 6 months, and the only entitlement he'd be concerned about is whether or not he's entitled to get his film camera removed form his scruffy work shy hole on the medical card

He is a scruff, I'll try get a snap of him later seemingly as he likes cameras. Would I be allowed to post it here?

They're not even able to do that now in arguably the most protective state in the world. (Ireland has a double constitution protection on Private property)

Real property ownership has never been absolute.

I'm not sure how that answers my question at all.

I'm not sure how that answers my question at all.

If it went over your head I'm not sure how I can help. Maybe try some night classes or something?

• Advertisement

If it went over your head I'm not sure how I can help. Maybe try some night classes or something?

Classy.

Advertisement