Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters who 'broke into' pensioner's home ordered to vacate premises by Wednesday

Options
  • 27-03-2017 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

I'm reading this on The Journal http://www.thejournal.ie/squatter-phibsborough-ordered-to-leave-3309321-Mar2017/

I must be misinterpreting it though, perhaps someone here can put me right. Is this what happened?
    • Guy (Peter Herron) breaks into pensioners house last October and changes the locks.
    • Herron and a group of people living in the house had refused access to the gardaí.
    • Owner has to go to court to gain access to his own house and remove trespassers
    • Owner has been denied use of his own house for the last 6 months

That can't be right? What's to stop someone breaking into my house when I pop out for milk and deny me access for 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm reading this on The Journal http://www.thejournal.ie/squatter-phibsborough-ordered-to-leave-3309321-Mar2017/

I must be misinterpreting it though, perhaps someone here can put me right. Is this what happened?
    • Guy (Peter Herron) breaks into pensioners house last October and changes the locks.
    • Herron and a group of people living in the house had refused access to the gardaí.
    • Owner has to go to court to gain access to his own house and remove trespassers

That can't be right? What's to stop someone breaking into my house when I pop out for milk and deny me access for 6 months?

jim-varney-and-the-simpsons-gallery.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If that had been my folks house he would have been encouraged to vacate fairly quick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Is Glen Hansard going to throw a concert in the front garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Is Glen Hansard going to throw a concert in the front garden?

I think Glen is squatting inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The article doesnt cover it but squatters rights are only valid if the house was not being used by the owner at the time it was "broken into".
    This means the pensioner probably owned the property but lived somewhere else.

This wouldnt be valid if you just went down the shops.

I think squatters rights are a load of bull**** and shouldn't apply to residential property. Anyone who breaks into a property to live there without permission of the owner should be arrested and charged with breaking and entering.

If i own a house and i decide to leave it vacant then that should be my right without having to worry about squatters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If that had been my folks house he would have been encouraged to vacate fairly quick

There's no doubt but there's some cheeky b@stards around nowadays :mad:I'd be sending him out the door face first.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Squatting is never justified and this sounds like an awful case but it IS symptomatic of the appalling housing crisis in this country at the moment. People will resort to anything to gain access to a roof over their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

The article doesnt cover it but squatters rights are only valid if the house was not being used by the owner at the time it was "broken into".
    This means the pensioner probably owned the property but lived somewhere else.

This wouldnt be valid if you just went down the shops.

I think squatters rights are a load of bull**** and shouldn't apply to residential property. Anyone who breaks into a property to live there without permission of the owner should be arrested and charged with breaking and entering.

If i own a house and i decide to leave it vacant then that should be my right without having to worry about squatters.

I hope that's the case, must look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What they do in London when they know a house is vacant is sent one man to break in the door then the squatters arrive after, so they can't be charged with breaking and entering. One man spent 60K getting squatters out of his house and wasn't allowed access to it for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't really see why there needs to be a court case here. They broke into the house, they don't own it. The guards should be able to go in and just throw them out. This is just the legal system eating up money and resources on a completely unnecessary case, more money for the boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The doctrine of adverse possession, allows third parties claim to a right over land (to which they originally had no legal title to) which they have occupied continuously for over 12 years with the intention of excluding all others including the true owner (also commonly known as “Squatters Rights”). If a squatter enjoys adverse and exclusive possession of the land for over 12 years, which is inconsistent with the title of the true owner, then he or she may oust that owner and gain title.

Squatters rights don't kick in for years. I can't understand why the guards didn't remove the trespassers as that is all they are, trespassing scum.

Edited to add: Even the fact the judge is giving them til Wednesday is a joke he should have given them two hours from when they left the courthouse otherwise send them to jail

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What they do in London when they know a house is vacant is sent one man to break in the door then the squatters arrive after, so they can't be charged with breaking and entering. One man spent 60K getting squatters out of his house and wasn't allowed access to it for six months.

Squatting in residential property is now fully illegal in the UK since a few years ago. Still a problem with commercial properties.

But even though its illegal it still happens and is a pain in the ass to legally remove someone without force.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The doctrine of adverse possession, allows third parties claim to a right over land (to which they originally had no legal title to) which they have occupied continuously for over 12 years with the intention of excluding all others including the true owner (also commonly known as “Squatters Rights”). If a squatter enjoys adverse and exclusive possession of the land for over 12 years, which is inconsistent with the title of the true owner, then he or she may oust that owner and gain title.

Squatters rights don't kick in for years. I can't understand why the guards didn't remove the trespassers as that is all they are, trespassing scum.

Edited to add: Even the fact the judge is giving them til Wednesday is a joke he should have given them two hours from when they left the courthouse otherwise send them to jail

The squatters probably claimed they have "rights" so needed to go to court to prove them wrong. Its a ****ty system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Squatters rights shouldn't exist in the first place END OF.

If you didn't pay for it or have NO CLAIM to it then you shouldn't be on anyones property, nothing should be free, if I own a vacant commercial building and want to leave it vacant, than so should be my right. All the laws in this country are in favour of societal menaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

gramar wrote: »
    I think Glen is squatting inside the house.

He's squatting on a band called Anastasia screamed his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Did they break in or were they already renting a room. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Totally agree with the owner here, based on what I have read.
    Property rights are not absolute. Some posters seem to think so. The Govn't, in the interests of the common good could decide to either encourage or force the use of residential property for that purpose.
    They could put a tax on vacant properties to encourage use of the property, since there is a housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Water John wrote: »
    Totally agree with the owner here, based on what I have read.
    Property rights are not absolute. Some posters seem to think so. The Govn't, in the interests of the common good could decide to either encourage or force the use of residential property for that purpose.
    They could put a tax on vacant properties to encourage use of the property, since there is a housing shortage.

Great system, lets also start taxing all the cars that are off the road and force people to give them to the less fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

True. But there really should be a heavy tax on vacant property in Dublin. It's completely sub optimal to have thousands of vacant units just lying there appreciating in value while there is simultaneously a serious shortage of supply of housing. Squatter's rights are only as ridiculous as the low levels of property and inheritance tax in Ireland. And those two are responsible for far more inequality and inefficiency than the odd story about squatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has been spoken about many times eg tax on derelict sites, tax on land that is zoned for housing and being held as a land bank.

Common good doesn't allow absolute property rights. Agricultural land and indeed your front garden can be CPOd for a road widening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nah screw that, your actions impact on others and nobody's property rights should supersede the common good. To give an example, what would happen if 25% of houses on a road were owned by speculators were left vacant and as a result the rest of the community had to put up with the dereliction and anti-social behaviour that comes with that? Housing is an important resource and hoarding it in such a fashion to the detriment of everyone else is just plain wrong.

Here in London we have entire apartment blocks that are often left empty, giant money-laundering schemes that facilitate empty homes while the rest of us face a chronic housing crisis. There should be massive tax incentives for vacant properties up to and including seizure of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

This kind of thing is happening a lot in the states, and I'm sure we will hear a lot more of this happening soon. It is absolutely astonishing that this can still happen in this country. The squatters in the states even went as far as to change their own name on the utility bills as you do not need to provide identification over there to change the name on bills. Absolutely amazing. The law around this happening here should be changed fast, you will hear more of this in the coming years.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nah screw that, your actions impact on others and nobody's property rights should supersede the common good. ....

Why stop at property. Why not take 25% of your wages and savings to home the less well off. Not that squatters are always the less well off.

beauf wrote: »
    Why stop at property. Why not take 25% of your wages and savings to home the less well off. Not that squatters are always the less well off.

The state taking a percentage of your wages? That's a a mad idea altogether, maybe it just might work! They could call it "tax" after the Latin word "taxare".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

beauf wrote: »
    20% and 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Squatting is never justified and this sounds like an awful case but it IS symptomatic of the appalling housing crisis in this country at the moment. People will resort to anything to gain access to a roof over their head.

Unless hippie bull****. Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nah screw that, your actions impact on others and nobody's property rights should supersede the common good. To give an example, what would happen if 25% of houses on a road were owned by speculators were left vacant and as a result the rest of the community had to put up with the dereliction and anti-social behaviour that comes with that? Housing is an important resource and hoarding it in such a fashion to the detriment of everyone else is just plain wrong.

Here in London we have entire apartment blocks that are often left empty, giant money-laundering schemes that facilitate empty homes while the rest of us face a chronic housing crisis. There should be massive tax incentives for vacant properties up to and including seizure of the property.

More leftie spiel.

A property that a person owns is theirs to do with what they wish and the likes of you and you're "common good" have no right to tell them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Isn't it illegal in residental properities end of story, or is that the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Is this still happening in the UK ? where a squatter enters a home that is unoccupied and they can end up owning the house after 7 years if the original occupants don't use it or move back in ?.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

More leftie spiel.

A property that a person owns is theirs to do with what they wish and the likes of you and you're "common good" have no right to tell them otherwise.

Grand. So what if I bought a house next door to you and started piling my rubbish 30 foot high out the back and blaring music until 3am every night. Would that be ok with you? It's my gaff after all.

Advertisement