Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to have been born in a different era?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

You would have had absolutely no knowledge of all of that when living in that period. You'd need to pick a time where you can experience something first hand.

Why wouldn't she be aware of what was going on specifically in the age of invention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why wouldn't she be aware of what was going on specifically in the age of invention?

Because there was little or no communication of much invention at the time, outside the elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Goats are fussy eaters alright :rolleyes:

It never stops being hilarious when you pretend to misunderstand 'kid' meaning 'child' as 'kid' meaning 'young goat'! Keep up the good work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Because there was little or no communication of much invention at the time, outside the elite.

Nonsense. They were all world changing inventions. That's the point. People were well aware in the first world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I grew up in the 70's and 80's and wouldn't change that for the world. I am so glad that I'm not a 90's//00's child who will never experience a non digital simpler world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Would have loved to be born late 40s America. Hitting my twenties in the 60s and experiences in places like LA and New York. Wow that was a great time.
    but born black :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It never stops being hilarious when you pretend to misunderstand 'kid' meaning 'child' as 'kid' meaning 'young goat'! Keep up the good work :)

In case it has slipped your mind a kid is a young goat, no misunderstanding about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I often wish I'd lived in the late Georgian period. Obviously as part of the protestant ascendancy, not some native scratching myself in a mud cabin.

Another culchie bashing thread.

scamalert wrote: »
    but born black :D
    In Mississippi :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Whatever about being born in a different time, but in this age of easy travel, I've long found it fascinating that there were generations of people worldwide who, until the availability of affordable mass transport, had probably never travelled further than a couple of towns away from where they were born (or outside their city). If you weren't travelling to somewhere 'distant' for a specific reason, possibly for work opportunities, or a thirst for exploration, then you basically didn't go anywhere you couldn't reach on a horse/horse and cart, there and back, within a couple of days. Distances we would now commute daily for work by car would have been a full days journey only a few generations ago.

If I had to pick an era to have been born in, I would pick the monied gentry of the early 1900's a la Downton or Upstairs Downstairs.

I'd be Upstairs, obvs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If I could be born as a higher social class person at the height of the Roman empire, that'd have been nice, or Venice/Florence in the early 1500s would have been nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What age are you Tom? The internet was only starting to take off around 1999, 18 years ago, also many people around now lived without it perfectly fine. If anything the internet is making people more stupid.

The internet is perhaps the greatest thing to ever happen the world....virtually anything you want to learn/find out is there and relatively easily found

I doubt it's making people stupuider....but it's making the stupid people more noticeable perhaps??

Would you swop having the internet for having no internet??

The internet isn't making people stupider, but it is making them lazier. There is NOTHING you can't find out from pressing a couple of buttons on your laptop or phone while sitting on your couch. Prior to the internet, to find out something or research something you had to look up a book, get up and go to the library, interact with your friends/other people to see if they knew the answer, do a bit of lateral thinking to see if you could remember or figure out the answer, actually do a bit of legwork so to speak. Nowadays you don't even have to stand up.

Having said that, the internet is a wonderful tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

ubiquitous knowledge didnt just suddenly arrive with the "internet".

I was born in the 60's, information was everywhere. Short-Wave/ Long Wave radio/Newspapers/ encyclopedias / libraries.

However, discernment, perception and intelligence, as now, were not mandatory, and oft in short supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Ireland in 1200s when the Normans arrived in Ireland. going into Kings John Castle in Limerick get drunk in the 1200s have a great Craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Give me a nice damp European town with poor sanitation between 1346–1353. Ahh yes I can nearly smell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Went to see The Kinks Musical this week. Reaffirmed my wish to have lived through the Swingin' Sixties... what a time for music!

EDIT: However, if I was going back in a time machine, I'd defo bring johnnies - those dirty gets were AT IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Give me a nice damp European town with poor sanitation between 1346–1353. Ahh yes I can nearly smell it!

Don't know would that be the best time to pick, wasn't the Black Death around that time?!

The internet is perhaps the greatest thing to ever happen the world....virtually anything you want to learn/find out is there and relatively easily found

I doubt it's making people stupuider....but it's making the stupid people more noticeable perhaps??

Would you swop having the internet for having no internet??
    DoozerT6 wrote: »
    The internet isn't making people stupider, but it is making them lazier. There is NOTHING you can't find out from pressing a couple of buttons on your laptop or phone while sitting on your couch. Prior to the internet, to find out something or research something you had to look up a book, get up and go to the library, interact with your friends/other people to see if they knew the answer, do a bit of lateral thinking to see if you could remember or figure out the answer, actually do a bit of legwork so to speak. Nowadays you don't even have to stand up.

Having said that, the internet is a wonderful tool.
    Hmmm I wonder :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Don't know would that be the best time to pick, wasn't the Black Death around that time?!

Great! You want to go too. We'll go together!

I'll be the doctor with the large beak and cloak. You can be the wealthy Lord who had always treated people poorly until your only heir contracts the infection.

You inlist my help and after a few close calls I finally cure your son. You see this as a life changing moment. You realise the real riches in your life are the people around you.

You skip along the damp streets the following morning and give the local beggar boy two silver coins, instructing him to buy the largest goose he can find from the local butcher who turns out to be Michael Caine.

As a reward, you give me the deeds to the local brothel and a DeLorean with a full service history.

How about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Oh I'd love to have been a pirate I would be a terrible pirate but....

Hmmm I wonder :D

:D:D

It's a real word apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

I was born in the mid fifties and was lucky to escape polio in Cork. But I am of the first generation of southern Irish to escape any war or fighting. While my childhood wasn't poor we had no luxuries and I was just in time for free education and easy enough access to third level. Good job and life. But medicine was not sufficiently advanced to save my baby son from cancer. Had a forward looking father so didn't miss any opportunities because I'm female. Wish I had rejected religion when I knew it was not for me from my very early days, even pre Confirmation.
    Reaping the benefits of new technology now and hope I can keep up with modern life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was born in 1986 and I wouldn't change that for any other time. By the time I was a teenager in the 00's there were no problems getting a part-time job and saving money. I managed to put myself through college and buy my first car with little assistance from my parents, something I probably couldn't have done if I was born 10 years earlier or 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The only thing about traveling back in time is that you will continually have to rebuild the time machine.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    :D:D

It's a real word apparently!
    I never said it wasn't but it's the lazy mans way of writing more stupid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Definitely not. We are at the peak of technology and knowledge. I think I'd miss having internet and access to any entertainment and knowledge right at my fingertips had I been born in a different era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Pre anglo and pre plantation Ulster, the most notorious men of british isles history, i would have liked to be a monk though so that i could just write about the battles rather than be involved in them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Pre anglo and pre plantation Ulster, the most notorious men of british isles history, i would have liked to be a monk though so that i could just write about the battles rather than be involved in them

Weren't the monasteries the first place invaders went to ransack ? They were not too keen on living witnesses behind to record the tale either

Celibacy? No talking?

What happens when you spend hours drawing on a manuscript and mess up a slight bit? Have to start all over again (I presume)

Advertisement