Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to have been born in a different era?

Options
  • 25-03-2017 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

I often wish I'd lived in the late Georgian period. Obviously as part of the protestant ascendancy, not some native scratching myself in a mud cabin.

Are you generally happy with the timing of your birth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I often wish I'd lived in the late Georgian period. Obviously as part of the protestant ascendancy, not some native scratching myself in a mud cabin.

Are you generally happy with the timing of your birth?

11am was pretty shyte to be honest. The evening sometime would have suited me better.

This is a golden age for humanity, and I'm lucky to be living at this time. Any earlier and my life would be different by virtue of my gender, a previously fatal illness, and without the multitude of things from easy and affordable travel and modern medicine and housing, up to and including the internet that makes life so incredibly easy and interesting in comparison with only a generation or two ago.

Life isn't the struggle it used to be for the majority of people in the first world, we live longer, are better educated, are housed better, and expect to live our lives with a greater degree of contentment and happiness than ever before. Maybe a little too much expectation.

It's still a wonderful time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Late 60s early 70s America looked class...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Dr Martin

I'd like to have been a young man during the age of the discovery. Must have been mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Wud love to be born in an earlier era but with all the knowledge I have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

For me to have been born in a future era where space travel is the norm would have been unbelievable. Fascinated by space and hate thinking what I'll miss out on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Wud love to be born in an earlier era but with all the knowledge I have now.

Is that you Biff?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Candie wrote: »
    This is a golden age for humanity, and I'm lucky to be living at this time.

Okay Candie but if you were to go back for, say, a year to a place and time to experience its zeitgeist when/where would you choose. ;)

Me? I'd like to go back to the latter half of the 1970's to experience the New York disco scene. Must have been amazing.

For me to have been born in a future era where space travel is the norm would have been unbelievable. Fascinated by space and hate thinking what I'll miss out on

If it makes you feel better mankind will probably have been wiped out long before we get the stage where is space travel is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think kids born from maybe the 2030's onwards are going to have a terrible life

We've made absolute ****e of the Earth for them

That's if we don't all get nuked first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No, glad I'm alive, never mind any other time

21/25

Okay Candie but if you were to go back for, say, a year to a place and time to experience its zeitgeist when/where would you choose. ;)

I guess living through the entire Axial Age would exceed average life expectancy by a little too much, so I'll settle for the twenty years that made up the Age of Invention from 1870 -1890 when human artistry and ingenuity went into overdrive and the telephone, the car, steam and gas turbines, the first vaccinations, the phonograph and a load of other stuff I can't remember was invented, and great writers and artists like Twain, Chekov, Rodin and Doztoevsky were made immortal.

Disco would have been fun too though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Would have loved to be born late 40s America. Hitting my twenties in the 60s and experiences in places like LA and New York. Wow that was a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is a golden age for humanity, and I'm lucky to be living at this time. Any earlier and my life would be different by virtue of my gender, a previously fatal illness, and without the multitude of things from easy and affordable travel and modern medicine and housing, up to and including the internet that makes life so incredibly easy and interesting in comparison with only a generation or two ago.

Life isn't the struggle it used to be for the majority of people in the first world, we live longer, are better educated, are housed better, and expect to live our lives with a greater degree of contentment and happiness than ever before. Maybe a little too much expectation.

It's still a wonderful time to be alive.

Internet making life more enjoyable and interesting is a highly debatable one. I wish i hadnt been introduced to technology as a child at a young age for instance

Medicine, travel, housing, etc are for sure improvements that we need to appreciate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would have loved to have been alive in the 1930s and 40s in America.

Men in suits and hats, smoking unfiltered cigs and drinking neat scotch during the day.

Women acting feminine and dressing beautifully, they looked liked broads, not guys. The family unit being held up as the master key to the success of a society.

The height of our Western Empire.

It fell into decline later than that in fairness, the 50s and 60s were also pretty stable in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I guess living through the entire Axial Age would exceed average life expectancy by a little too much
    Life expectancy is a bit of a meaningless statement. Standard of living is so much more important. Obviously a blend of both is preferable, but if I had to select one, it would always be standard of living over life expectancy. Though I guess it's probably a causal relationship in most cases.

Would have loved to have been alive in the 1930s and 40s in America.

Men in suits and hats, smoking unfiltered cigs and drinking neat scotch during the day.

Women acting feminine and dressing beautifully, they looked liked broads, not guys. The family unit being held up as the master key to the success of a society.

The height of our Western Empire.

It fell into decline later than that in fairness, the 50s and 60s were also pretty stable in general.
    Don't worry, you're living there.

Life expectancy is a bit of a meaningless statement. Standard of living is so much more important. Obviously a blend of both is preferable, but if I had to select one, it would always be standard of living over life expectancy. Though I guess it's probably a causal relationship in most cases.

The Axial Age spanned around 800 years, that's what I meant when I said it was a little too much to wish for to have lived through it entirely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The 70s. I'd have been a glam rocker :)

I'd love to have my own version of Seán Ó Ríordáin's Fill Arís, except this time go back to Kinsale armed with 21st-century weapons to sort the Sasanaigh out once and for all.

Then I'd like to drop into the poets of 18th-century Munster - particularly into the tavern of Seán Ó Tuama an Ghrinn on Mungret Street in Limerick - and meet Seán Clarach Mac Donaill, Eoghan Rua Ó Suilleabhain, Brian Merriman and all the rest. What a world to have lived in!

• Advertisement

The Axial Age spanned around 800 years, that's what I meant when I said it was a little too much to wish for to have lived through it entirely. :)
    Ah yeah, I just meant life expectancy in general. People bang on about it a lot, but I can't imagine how quite elderly people with low amount of savings and paltry pensions can be enjoying their magical life expectancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't worry, you're living there.

I wish I was, a time when nature and facts ruled over emotion.

There's a saying in the legal profession.

"Hard cases make bad law."

I feel we in the west have being dictating policy on emotion instead of reason and logic for far too long.

We've grown weak, and like every empire in the history of mankind we are heading towards our downfall.

Ah yeah, I just meant life expectancy in general. People bang on about it a lot, but I can't imagine how quite elderly people with low amount of savings and paltry pensions can be enjoying their magical life expectancy.

I'd like to think that there are more elderly people who are like my grandparents, able to not be too concerned about money and with good pensions, than there are people struggling with affording everyday life.

I think loneliness is likely to be an even greater scourge in future generations of older people than poverty, so many people are remaining single.

Sorry for the OT post!

For some reason the georgian era always makes me think of the smell of vomit, milk, old brass metal, sweat, manure. I imagine having gout and having severe headaches from dehydration due to drinking wine and brandy and not drinking enough clean water. And I think of surgery being performed without anesthetic by some fat red-faced man wearing the kind of wig only judges wear now. Disease all around, people going around with pockmarks or smallpox itself. Probably a bit too far back in time for my liking!

One era that appeals to me is circa 1890s to 1914. I know the reality must have been different but I imagine it to have been an optimistic time, the people living through the times having never known anything better. No major war in Europe since 1870, lots of inventions since then, actual starvation had stopped being a serious threat since food could be transported via trains and steamship and could be better preserved. The old Mitchell and Kenyon films on youtube are great - everyone seems really happy in them, despite living in considerable poverty by modern standards. They go to watch football matches, kids enjoy playing in the streets, motor cars are a rarity, agicultural shows, cricket matches played in a relaxed atmosphere ...

When I think of the 1890s I think of the colour lavender, oscar wilde, music halls, women with those dresses that come out at the back and with narrow waists, that eerie feeling of it being a world now forgotten even though it's not actually ancient yet, with popular sportsmen, entertainers and important politicians of the time now forgotten by most. I imagine that old turn of the century font, as seen on Mr Burns' "Brain and Nerve Tonic" in the Simpsons. I imagine straw-boat hats. I imagine a sort of languid but content feeling on a Sunday afternoon after the dinner, sitting in a clustered living room where the colour brown predominates, and a dank smell of tobacco and tea fills the warm, stuffy room, with the sun shining through windows and a beam of dust is seen, the father wearing a waistcoat sitting reading the newspaper with hair parted in the middle and a moustache.

In Ireland I imagine dusty country roads in the summer time with sweet-smelling yellow gorse on the sides, people on old-fashioned bicycles, people eating stuff like kidneys and tongue, middle-class people are quaintly interested in irish revival stuff, people actually live in houses quite comfortable in comparison to the cabins many lived in a few decades before. And old lad in a waist coat with a beard everywhere except his moustache rides on a donkey-cart full of turf. Sugar, tea, bread and tobacco are available in small amounts in the local shop. Men in chequered trousers and farming hats and smoking a pipe walk with fishing rods to the river and nod their hat to you. Newspapers and books are easily available and evenings are whiled away reading them smokng a bit of tobacco. Gaslight and trams in Dublin city centre. Going to the seaside is a hugely fun day out, and they have those boxes in the water where you can get changed into a bathing suit. Punch and judy shows and carnival games, good times!

Idealistic waffle obviously but the mental image is comforting!

Being a gentleman in the Victorian era. Devoting your time to whatever interest takes your fancy. Just seems so cosy.

Dr Martin wrote: »
    Being a gentleman in the Victorian era. Devoting your time to whatever interest takes your fancy. Just seems so cosy.

The average gentleman in the Victorian era lived in comparative squalor. If you got your arm ripped off in an industrial accident? Tough shit - become a beggar. Happy days.

The average gentleman in the Victorian era lived in comparative squalor. If you got your arm ripped off in an industrial accident? Tough shit - become a beggar. Happy days.

A Victorian gentleman would not be working in a factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Me? I'd like to go back to the latter half of the 1970's to experience the New York disco scene. Must have been amazing.

This would be cool, the only downside being the very high likelihood of contracting GRID

snowflaker wrote: »
    This would be cool, the only downside being the very high likelihood of contracting GRID

You end up working as a Canadian flight attendant.

• Advertisement

snowflaker wrote: »

I had to google GIRD to see what it meant - you knew about it. Fair play to you for being knowledgeable about gay sex.

Advertisement