Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to have been born in a different era?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I had to google GIRD to see what it meant - you knew about it. Fair play to you for being knowledgeable about gay sex.

And the band played on, Angels in America, An Early Frost

3 excellent movies dealing with the early days of GRID/HIV/AIDS

The Canadian Flight Attendant was Patient O, not 0, and incorrectly labelled as such, and did not bring HIV/GRID to America. Thats a disproven myth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

snowflaker wrote: »
    And the band played on, Angels in America, An Early Frost

3 excellent movies dealing with the early days of GRID/HIV/AIDS

The Canadian Flight Attendant was Patient O, not 0, and incorrectly labelled as such, and did not bring HIV/GRID to America. Thats a disproven myth

I have no idea what you're on about and couldn't be bothered trying to work it out. :o I just like a lot of the music from the era and remember experiencing good times from the 90's rave/house scene which could be considered a revival of the disco scene from back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I have no idea what you're on about and couldn't be bothered trying to work it out. :o I just like a lot of the music from the era and remember experiencing good times from the 90's rave/house scene which could be considered a revival of the disco scene from back in the day.

Yes totally, the whole counter culture element adds to the zeitgeist imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Who wants some polio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Would have loved to have been alive in the 1930s and 40s in America.

Men in suits and hats, smoking unfiltered cigs and drinking neat scotch during the day.

Women acting feminine and dressing beautifully, they looked liked broads, not guys. The family unit being held up as the master key to the success of a society.

The height of our Western Empire.

It fell into decline later than that in fairness, the 50s and 60s were also pretty stable in general.

I guess you never heard of the Great Depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'd much prefer to have been born more recently. Young people in Ireland today seem so much more in touch with the world, and the idea of Ireland as simply a small stone in a vast quarry, largely thanks to social media and also better, more inclusive secular education. Obviously there are downsides to this as well, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the gains.

I'd have thought the exact opposite tbh, that young people have become far more egocentric, largely due to social media, which gives them the impression they are the centre of their own universe.

It's just a pity many of the older middle class generation in Ireland is currently on a path towards nationalism and Irish language revival, rather than embracing new cultures and establishing a new, modern Ireland. An unfortunate backwards step.

Where are you getting this from?

I'd like to have experienced what it was like to live in Europe during the Middle Ages on the cusp of the Age of Enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

At nearly 80, I was indeed born in a very different age..

Happier in the old ways frankly..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I guess you never heard of the Great Depression.

Yeah it actually was an eg of a revert to nature, albeit in a very bad fashion.

Two bit guinea and mick thugs rose during the Great Depression. The collapse of the economy coupled with Prohibition led to a generation of men living a dark version of the American Dream.

Some very important alphas rose during this time. One would be Joseph P Kennedy.

An evil man to the core.

He got it all back in karma in the end.

Joe Jnr, John, Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I wouldn't want to be born in a different era because I like technology, modern medicine, and human rights, but I wouldn't mind going back and visiting Belle Epoque Paris - specifically during the art nouveau period - and live like a fancy rich lady for a few weeks.
    A little time in San Francisco during the late 50s/1960s wouldn't be too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why would someone want to live before the internet was around?

The world is what you make of it,chances are if your miserable unhappy person now....you'll still be a miserable unhappy person if a time machine landed you back to the times you want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Men in suits and hats, smoking unfiltered cigs and drinking neat scotch during the day.

Women acting feminine and dressing beautifully, they looked liked broads, not guys. The family unit being held up as the master key to the success of a society.

It fell into decline later than that in fairness, the 50s and 60s were also pretty stable in general.

Would have been difficult to show how manly you were on the Internet back then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I would have loved to live in the 60,s/70,s hippie scene in the US, All that peace n loving, groovy man with the smell of benjy of ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I'd have thought the exact opposite tbh, that young people have become far more egocentric, largely due to social media, which gives them the impression they are the centre of their own universe.
    People were egocentric long before facebook arrived. Some still are. Some still are not.

Where are you getting this from?
    The huge resurgence in Gaelscoils, combined with the recent year long commemorations of 1916 and general nationalist sentiment creeping through the country. Can't read a comments section or most newspapers nowadays without claims such as, "It's part of our heritage" and "It's what makes you Irish". While Ireland is not on the same scale as the US or Britain in terms of political shocks, it is still going through its own national identity crisis, just in a more subtle manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

People were egocentric long before facebook arrived. Some still are. Some still are not.

The huge resurgence in Gaelscoils, combined with the recent year long commemorations of 1916 and general nationalist sentiment creeping through the country. Can't read a comments section or most newspapers nowadays without claims such as, "It's part of our heritage" and "It's what makes you Irish". While Ireland is not on the same scale as the US or Britain in terms of political shocks, it is still going through its own national identity crisis, just in a more subtle manner.

Ireland is probably the least nationalist country in the world - to an alarming degree. The 1916 celebrations were a damp squid.

The age of discovery, born into a elite naval family. Or to put it another way I doubt if someone born in that class in that era would sacrifice their life for my office job. Internet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Depends who you were, I doubt westerners of african descent, gay westerners or women thought the 40's was the height of the empire

it was certainly a more aesthetically minded time though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dr Martin wrote: »
    Being a gentleman in the Victorian era. Devoting your time to whatever interest takes your fancy. Just seems so cosy.
    Same today.

If you were a gentleman of leisure back then you presumably had a large enough income to support your self and your servants.

Think of the stuff you could do today with that sort of income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

My own opinion is that the 90s was the peak decade on earth. Things seem so be going to ****e since the millennium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Late 60s early 70s America looked class...

Being around and appreciating the music released in the mid/late 60's early 70's

1967 was an amazing year for new releases.

If only I were late teens early twenties then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would have been difficult to show how manly you were on the Internet back then though.

On the plus side, trilbies and fedoras didn't have any stigma yet. :rolleyes:

As for a petrolhead like myself, I'd go for the 80s. I get a little giddy thinking about F1 cars which could produce over 1000hp from an engine barely bigger than what powers the average hatchback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

No. Very happy to have been born in the mid 1980's

Why?

I can vaguely remember some tough times in the 1980's eg watching my dad sobbing that he would soon loose his job, through no fault of his own (Building work ended on that project and it was questionable that there would be much going on for a while - lucky to get the work) I remember it well because I remember being on his shoulders when Galway hurlers brought Liam McCarthy Cup across the Shannon into the home town 1988- First memory of a big crowd and colours- I missed the really bad days or was too young to worry about them - you know, with building blocks and train set being way more important

But growing up in the 1990 to early 2000's was the best time for young people. Easily. More money in the house,more opportunities, and going to Third Level Education was possible and expected since people could get financial assistance such as Grants,which, if properly managed (on top of part time jobs) easily cover your living expenses handily. By 2008 (2 years after leaving College) I saw people starting College with concerns about their grants being approved and paid. There was a story on the news about this and how some were seriously threatened to have to drop out. When I was in school , going abroad for the summer was a luxury, you did not really have to go. Post 2006 and during the 1980's, it was almost essential and not just for the summer.

1990-2000's was also a good time for Ireland in sports and culture. We started to get more confidence on the world stage and accepted that we belong there. Also, the North finally got sorted out. Music was great as well.

In the 1990-early 2000's the internet was only getting big in the sense that not everyone had it yet . Now, we even have it on our mobiles. Remember WAP and the old dial up internet , windows 1995? It is undisputed that it has become a huge asset, but it can also be a hindrance, even in the simple things in life like a pub table quiz being ruined by tools who cheat. A good spirited debate and row over some silly facts are ended within 2 minutes of a dispute by just logging onto google to get the answer. Where is the fun in that?

As great as the US might have been in the 1960's , has anyone considered that at 20 , you might have been drafted into the Vietnam War and come home like Tom Cruise in Born on 4th July rather than Forrest Gump, or even worse, in a body bag?

• Advertisement

World War II and possible draft? :eek:

Yes, the fashion was awesome. Men were men back then and women knew their place :D:P

What is wrong with "the huge resurgence in Gaelscoils"? They still have to educate people in the basics . What is wrong with promoting the national language?

"general nationalist sentiment creeping through the country."

So in other words, to you, Nationalism is a dirty word?

Last I checked, those running these activities have actively sought to embrace all new comers. There was not an ounce of controversy about LGBTI groups joining the St Patrick's Day parades in Ireland, unlike in the US. Many "new Irish" have been invited and accepted when taking part in the parades around the country. The country as a whole has been very vocal in anti racism .

As you said, by comparison to other nations, Ireland would be barely "Nationalistic" in that sense

What was your problem with 1916 commemorations? 100 years anniversary. It was hardly going to be ignored. It was done with respect, taste and did not insult anyone. A nation is entitled to remember it's past and the people who served the country in order to gain Independence. There was no triumphalist in the tone of the celebrations.

"it is still going through its own national identity crisis"
    How? It's identity has accepted change and been open to newer cultures and people. Keep your own insecurities to yourself , chief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I often thought I would have liked to have been around in the mid 18th century and met the Lunar Society with Erasmus Darwin, Richard Lovell Edgeworth, James Watt & Co. But I'd probably have been in the wrong social class to have been allowed join in this exciting time in the history of science.

The world is what you make of it,chances are if your miserable unhappy person now....you'll still be a miserable unhappy person if a time machine landed you back to the times you want to

I doubt the Protestant Ascendancy in Ireland before 1890's were that miserable bar the odd Land League riot.Lovely country side, shooting at papist paupers, Britain ruling the world, no Unions telling you how you ought to treat your servants, .............Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You certainly have a Hollywood view of the era. I was around in the 1940s. Glamorous it was not - neither in the US nor here. In addition, there was a little thing called the Great Depression in the 30s followed in to the 40s by a small affair called the Second World War.

You certainly have a Hollywood view of the era. I was around in the 1940s. Glamorous it was not - neither in the US nor here. In addition, there was a little thing called the Great Depression in the 30s followed in to the 40s by a small affair called the Second World War.

Yes, but the real question is were women ever referred to as 'broads' outside of old Rat Pack movies?

I'm guessing no!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think kids born from maybe the 2030's onwards are going to have a terrible life

We've made absolute ****e of the Earth for them

That's if we don't all get nuked first
    Goats are fussy eaters alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What age are you Tom? The internet was only starting to take off around 1999, 18 years ago, also many people around now lived without it perfectly fine. If anything the internet is making people more stupid.

Not really, though being born 3 years earlier, in England, and turning 18 in 1989 might have been pretty special...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Candie wrote: »
    I guess living through the entire Axial Age would exceed average life expectancy by a little too much, so I'll settle for the twenty years that made up the Age of Invention from 1870 -1890 when human artistry and ingenuity went into overdrive and the telephone, the car, steam and gas turbines, the first vaccinations, the phonograph and a load of other stuff I can't remember was invented, and great writers and artists like Twain, Chekov, Rodin and Doztoevsky were made immortal.

Disco would have been fun too though. :)

You would have had absolutely no knowledge of all of that when living in that period. You'd need to pick a time where you can experience something first hand.

Advertisement