Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the first big news story that caught your attention when you were young!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Probably Dunblane. Just looked up the year, '96, so i wouldve been 8. I remember we had a tree planting ceremony at school in their memory, because someone thought that gathering together a load of primary school children to highlight that a load of primary school children got shot at school was a thoughtful idea.....we were terrified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Dessie 'the border fox' O'Hare kidnapping a dentist and chopping the tips of his little fingers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jacksie66 wrote: »
    The sinking of the Titanic..

The battle of the little big horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The battle of the little big horn.

Aul George made a balls of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When Elvis died 1977. We were glued to the tv. I'll never forget seeing policemen openly weeping. I'd never seen anything like it before or after till Dianna died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

..... 1st news story when I was young!

Probably one of the many not so important stories at the end of News at Ten, and finally . . . .

'The Loch Ness Monster' or some such story.

John Cravens Newsround was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Mountbatten's death, pope's visit, hunger strikes (but that was a bit later). I was a 12/72 baby and in two channel tv land.. or maybe that should be 1 1/2 channel land since rte2 didnt broadcast until 5pm.

diomed wrote: »
    Cuban missile crisis when I was 12. A few days waiting for a nuclear war to kick off.
    This booklet was sent to every household in Ireland around 1965. http://www.dailyedge.ie/nuclear-handbook-ireland-995420-Jul2013/

One of the solutions in the event of a nuclear explosion if outdoors was to turn your back to the explosion :eek: Maybe they forgot to add stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Melodeon wrote: »
    The Apollo 11 mission, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon.
    "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

I thought that I remembered that happening on the day of my communion but when I look it up it was 1969 which is the year I was born.

Was there another moon landing in about 1975?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why can people never get this child's name right? His name was James. Neither his parents nor his family called him Jamie. I know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal to people but Jamie just wasn't his name and he wasn't called by it and I think the very least folks could do would be to get his name right..

I'm one of the posters you quoted there and - as the mum of a William who is usually called William without abbreviations - I'm surprised at myself for getting that wrong! I appreciate you pointing it out - thanks.

RIP James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have vague memories of the moon landings or more accurately the aftermath when it was being discussed everywhere but I was only 6. The first real news story that I definitely remember was bloody Sunday although I really didn't really understand what happened. I still remember the pictures and the news coverage though. It was such big news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I suppose for me its Lockerbie, I remember seeing the shots of nose section in the field, but wouldn't have known what was going on, I was born in '84 so was only a few years old.

The first news story that I was actually aware of was Freddie Mercury dying, because I knew who he was.

And the first ongoing news story I actually followed, i.e. caught up on everyday, was Louise Woodward. I remember being glued to what I presume was Sky News all day watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Italia 90 - the Romania game specifically. I had just turned 4 and was sitting on the couch with my Dad watching the penalties not really knowing what was going on, I'd just shout when he did. When we won he picked me up and danced around the living room. It's one of those moments I will never forget. My dad doesn't get as excited with the football much anymore but we will always have Italia 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a bit older than most here I guess, so for me it was definitely the assassination of John F. Kennedy, I'd have been 6 at the time. I think I remember it more clearly because our hamster, Jenny, died almost exactly the same time as the news broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Alun wrote: »
    I'm a bit older than most here I guess, so for me it was definitely the assassination of John F. Kennedy, I'd have been 5 at the time. I think I remember it more clearly because our hamster, Jenny, died almost exactly the same time as the news broke.

So it really was a magic bullet :eek:

sjb25 wrote: »
    Aul George made a balls of that one

He should've taken the gattling gun, however much it slowed him up.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When Elvis died 1977. We were glued to the tv. I'll never forget seeing policemen openly weeping. I'd never seen anything like it before or after till Dianna died.

Oh dear God the wailing and weeping at Dianna's funeral was an embarrassment to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Ben Johnson getting stripped of his Gold medal in 88.
    I was 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

Sam Kade wrote: »
    This booklet was sent to every household in Ireland around 1965. http://www.dailyedge.ie/nuclear-handbook-ireland-995420-Jul2013/

One of the solutions in the event of a nuclear explosion if outdoors was to turn your back to the explosion :eek: Maybe they forgot to add stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

I remember that book.
    It came with a little envelope of Iodine tablets too to protect from radiation sickness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I have vague memories of the Japan earthquake in 1995 (which is odd because I was only 3), Diana's death in 1997 and the Omagh bombing in 1998.

But the first stories I remember properly following were 9/11 and the Soham murders. With 9/11, I was in 5th class and we'd only been reading a story about New York in school the day before. I remember getting into my mum's car and hearing about the first plane on the radio - and when we got home and switched on the tv, the second tower had just been hit. It was surreal. Spent the rest of the day glued to Sky News and didn't want to go to bed that night.

As for the Soham murders, it was the school holidays and those poor girls were the same age as me. I'm fairly sure I watched the news for about a week straight, convinced that they'd find them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sam Kade wrote:
    Oh dear God the wailing and weeping at Dianna's funeral was an embarrassment to the UK.

My father in law was in the UK at the time. On his return he said it was beautiful. Everyone had a connection etc. When I compared this to Elvis preselys death he flipped. "That was grotesque the way people carried on" he snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Of course 9/11 got my attention. I remember waiting at the school bus stop waiting to go home and one of the class clowns told everyone. I didn't think it was serious until I got home.
    However it was so large scale it didn't really upset me, I think I was numb to it because it was so shocking.

The first news story that really triggered my emotion was the Kursk tragedy. I had nightmares about the idea the rescuers were just the other side of the hatch away from the crew, hearing their knocking but helpless to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have a very slight memory of the Pope's visit to Ireland but my first fairly clear memory is of the assassination of John Lennon. It was a massive story and I didn't have much of a clue who he was.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Border Fox, I remember everyone talking about seeing him and that we were not allowed go out of sight of the house just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

vandriver wrote: »
    The Tenerife airport disaster in March 77,where two 747s collided on the runway killing 583 people.

That one always gets to me when I read about it because there were so many things that had to go wrong for it to happen.

Neither plane was meant to be there - they were diverted from Gran Canaria due to a bomb scare, so if that hadn't happened or if one had been diverted elsewhere...

If the KLM pilot hadn't decided to refuel there instead of at his next airport, if a family of passengers hadn't been late back to their plane, if the Pan Am crew hadn't missed their turn off the runway, if the heavy fog hadn't suddenly settled when it did, if radio interference hadn't occured at the exact moment it did, if the KLM pilot and ATC hadn't misunderstood each other...

If any one of those things didn't happen, the crash wouldn't have either and almost 600 people wouldn't have died. Such a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was 13 at the time of Omagh, but it's the first news story where I felt an empty, hollow feeling in my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Child of the 80's so, Barry McGuigan beating Pedroza in 85 (i think) and the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster around the same time. Maybe 86/87? Those are my earliest memories of major events. Can vividly remember being in School talking about both incidents with Master O'Gara after they had happened.

Also remember countless IRA/UVF bombings, shootings etc and the Tit-for-Tat sectarian killing spree's that carried on for a few years between Republican and Loyalist butchers. As a kid the term "Tit for Tat" was alien to me and vaguely like KitKats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

The first real news,(1968/9) I could relate to was when the the troubles broke out in the North after the civil rights march's in Derry,

Also I remember the reports from Africa where there was armed guerrillas roaming around which had my little head all over the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

The first real news,(1968/9) I could relate to was when the the troubles broke out in the North after the civil rights march's in Derry,

Also I remember the reports from Africa where there was armed guerrillas roaming around which had my little head all over the place .

It always fascinated me when I was young how great some people were to be helping police with their enquiries.

• Advertisement

Probably Princess Diana's death. Was my first real experience of it being on every channel.

Advertisement