Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the first big news story that caught your attention when you were young!

Options
  • 23-03-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost twenty five and their were stories I'd slightly remember from when I young such as Veronica Guerin, the Omagh bombing and of course 9/11.The first real story I remembered following tough was when Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were murdered in Soham. I suppose I really connected with the story because I was around their at the time and I was certain they'd come home during those lovely Summer days.

What was the first big news story that caught your attention when you were young!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Jamie Bulger I think. :( I'm 31, that would've happened in the early nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The Apollo 11 mission, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon.
    "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This thread like a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

was only 3 at the time but remember all the commotion about john lennon getting killed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Almost 25?

24 and three quarters sounds better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Some Dublin bollix with hair was whinging about Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Elvis Presley dying on my 6th birthday.
    I vividly remember it being on the radio at a family picnic and thinking this seems like a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Yorkshire Ripper and the IRA hunger strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember 9/11 but I never really followed it on the news at the time because a relative of mine died at the time at we weren't at home for much of the news at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I'm 52 and born in 1965 and distinctly remember my mother lifting me into her arms to point out the moon "where the men went in a space ship" for Apollo 11 and back out to the garden again to ask God to bring Apollo 13 safely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

The Tenerife airport disaster in March 77,where two 747s collided on the runway killing 583 people.

I can remember earlier news stories like Princess Diana dying and Omagh in 1998 but I always remember the 1999 Izmit earthquake in turkey .. remember wakening up around 5 am the morning after it happened (would've been about midnight Irish time) because I liked to get up as early as possible during the bright summer months and reading about it on teletext and seeing euronews cover it and then hearing all about it on the news later that day. I remember thinking, that's awful how many are dead

Also the Kursk submarine in August 2000. This had a huge impact on me. I'd say that is actually the first news story to really impact me, felt like holding my breath any time I thought of the submariners running out of air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

vandriver wrote: »
    The Tenerife airport disaster in March 77,where two 747s collided on the runway killing 583 people.

Oh yes absolutely terrifying.
    Also the Munich Olympics hostage horror in 1972. My mother was and is and I am too a glutton for news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can recall being fascinated by the Berlin Airlift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Dunblane massacre when I was 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

Jamie bulger in 1993 and the fred West murders 1994 are my earliest memory of news catching my attention. I'm age 33

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I remember how shocked the nation felt when we all heard about the shooting in Dallas, Texas.

Who shot JR

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Vietnam war reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

vandriver wrote: »

Holy f*ck, never heard of that!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Jamie bulger and the gulf war. I remember seeing tanks on the tv and sadam huesain ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Srameen, your a good age.
    My first memory of a public event. is the funeral of JFK on the radio. Michael O'Hehir happened to be in the USA and did the 4 hour stint.

Earlier seeing the light of Cork Airport flashing in the distance. Opened in 1961 and I was 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Don Tidey kidnapping and Shergar going missing,some German fellow as well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tiede Hederman?

Berlin Wall coming down I suppose when I was nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

The Dublin & Monaghan bombings in May 1974. I was 7 and heard the Dublin ones going off from Tara Street station with my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The assassination of JFK. I remember my parents being very upset that 'our' president had been shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

OJ Simpson trial. It was when we first got Sky and I think I was around 7 or 8, they'd do highlights on Sky news of the trial that day and me and mam were glued to it.
    Also when princess Diana died. I was sleeping in the same bed as my sister and my mam came in to wake her up and tell her and she said "they think Diana is dead", and I thought she said "they think that Anna's dead".. I thought she was talking about me and started crying "I'm not dead mam" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

President Kennedy visiting Ireland in 63 and being assassinated shortly after.

The Aberfan disaster in 1966 where a childrens school was buried under an avalanche of slack from the coalmines killing 116 children and 28 adults.

Advertisement