Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Malware?

Options
  • 21-06-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭

In Chrome I have these 2 annoying ads at the top of most of my searches, they're annoying because they take a second to apear causing me to misclick, thing is there are zero results for Adxfactory malware or adware, usually someone else would have posted about it somewhere by now.

FgZIFkv.png

Ive ran all the usual scans with ADW and a few others but they dont find anything, no suspicious looking extensions either, Adblock plus installed.

Another possibly related issue is these infuriating company logo images in searches, not sure if its Google testing a feature or another sign of infection, they're annoying anyway:

tEeHDvW.png?1

Any suggestions for either? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'd run a Malwarebytes scan ... if it finds sh1t to clean up, then do it and run another Malwarebytes scan ... rinse and repeat until clean.

Then run a SpyBot Search & Destroy ... clean up ... rinse and repeat.

Should do it. I had a neighbours machine that was doing something similar and that did the trick.

Not sure about the company logo things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Also run the Microsoft Software Removal Tool.

Your HTTPS connection doesn't appear to have an SSL cert?

Can you open up the command prompt and run "nslookup google.ie"?

Also can you select the page icon beside the "HTTPS" and select the "Cookies" and take a screenshot of what is returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nothing showing up on multiple scans with all those, thanks anyway.
    Your HTTPS connection doesn't appear to have an SSL cert?

Can you open up the command prompt and run "nslookup google.ie"?

Also can you select the page icon beside the "HTTPS" and select the "Cookies" and take a screenshot of what is returned?
    389613.jpg

389614.jpg

12 cookies set by page, nothing suspicious looking on the list, any clues?

So your domain resolution appears to be fine.

However you have two strange cookies 'connectionstrenth[.]com' and 'urlvalidation[.]com' being set when you visit google.ie

Looks to be this http://totalsystemsecurity.com/how-to-remove-urlvalidation-com-redirect-page/#more-5149

• Advertisement

So your domain resolution appears to be fine.

However you have two strange cookies 'connectionstrenth[.]com' and 'urlvalidation[.]com' being set when you visit google.ie

Looks to be this http://totalsystemsecurity.com/how-to-remove-urlvalidation-com-redirect-page/#more-5149
    Aha, found it, thanks, it was an extension I used that went bad, deleted now:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/imgur-uploader-chrome-extension-turns-to-the-dark-side-starts-injecting-ads.60231/

connectionstrenth[.]com was the clue, thanks a million Ni@ll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sparrow22

[ltr]This is very similar to the virus that I've read recently[/ltr]

I think yo might be a virus yourself Sparrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

+ for malwarebytes.. I had a problem several month ago. While searching for anything in browser a malware blocked that and I could not open the searching results and my laptop was super slow. And malwarebytes cleaned everything for several minutes.

Advertisement