Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick Goldfish

• 12-03-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone help me diagnosing my sick goldfish please.
    • He is normally very active but over the last few days is spending a large amount of time at the bottom of the tank.
    • Looks lethargic at the bottom but then he does get bursts of swimming around as normal
    • Mouth movement slightly laboured but looks as normal for the most part
    • He is eating fine
    • However after a minute of normal swimming he just stops and drifts down to the bottom
    • I treated the water a few days with a multi purpose goldfish medicine, not sure if its made any difference, but he doesn't seem any worse.
    • I notice today that his bottoms fins look a bit red where the attach to his underside. The actual join is red as opposed to the fin

I don't know if this means anything to anyone but any direction here would be much appreciated. I'm still a beginner in all of this FYI.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Just wondering can anyone help me diagnosing my sick goldfish please.
    • He is normally very active but over the last few days is spending a large amount of time at the bottom of the tank.
    • Looks lethargic at the bottom but then he does get bursts of swimming around as normal
    • Mouth movement slightly laboured but looks as normal for the most part
    • He is eating fine
    • However after a minute of normal swimming he just stops and drifts down to the bottom
    • I treated the water a few days with a multi purpose goldfish medicine, not sure if its made any difference, but he doesn't seem any worse.
    • I notice today that his bottoms fins look a bit red where the attach to his underside. The actual join is red as opposed to the fin

I don't know if this means anything to anyone but any direction here would be much appreciated. I'm still a beginner in all of this FYI.

Thanks a million.

How long have you had the goldfish?

What size s the tank?

What type Filter is in the tank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the reply. The goldfish and tank i took from a friend. The fish could be 2 or 3 years old at a guess. Tank is maybe 30l, possibly 40l.

There is a separate electric filter on the inside side of the tank. Out of the house so can't check the brand name right now.

Thanks

Have you had the gold fish long?

It could be a number of things but I would start with water quality.

How often do you do water changes and by how much?

Are you dechlorinating the water before or after you add the water?

Do you have gravel and decoration?

Are you using a heater in he tank?

I removed a good amount of water last week, I forgot to mention that in my first post.

I add the dechlorinating product after I have the tank refilled

I have gravel and one plastic plant and a fake log with holes type thing.

No heater.

This is what I would do

OK I would recommend hospitalizing the tank

1. Fill a bucket tonight with fresh water and dechlorinate it in the bucket.

2. Leave it overnight in the bucket so it gets to room temperature for tomorrow

Tomorrow

3. Siphon off 50 of the water into another bucket and put the goldfish into it

4. Wash off the sponges and the rest of the media in the tank water until clean.

5. Dump the rest of the tank water and remove all gravel and deco from the tank.

6. Clean the tank.

DO NOT ADD THE GRAVEL OR DECO BACK IN

7. Fill have the tank with the 50% fresh declorinated water.

8. Add the goldfish and the 50% of tank water.

9. Add the filter making sure the water at the top of the tank has movement.

10. Do 20% water changes each day to see if your goldfish improves.

Only feed the gold fish once a day and thats a small pinch of food. Only enough that he eats it all. There should be no food in the tank when you completed feeding.
    Always make sure you dechlorinate water and the water is room tempature before adding to the tank

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for that detailed reply. Will do that. Fingers crossed.
    He's condition is disimproving today I would say.

One stupid question please.

Which bucket do I put the goldfish in? The step 1 bucket with the new water or step 3 bucket with the tank water?

Thanks

Which bucket do I put the goldfish in? The step 1 bucket with the new water or step 3 bucket with the tank water?

Thanks

do a 25% water change now. It could be an Ammonia buildup in the tank.

and follow the steps above and prepare water for tomorrow

Thanks

Put the Goldfish in the 50% water you took from the tank

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm on the case now.

Will report back in a day or two with an update.

Any improvement in your goldfish?

• Advertisement

No. Probably a bit worse maybe. Followed the tank instructions to the letter. He's spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank but is eating and motivated for that.

Will do the first 20% water change today.

Any other tips? Thanks for all the advice so far.

No. Probably a bit worse maybe. Followed the tank instructions to the letter. He's spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank but is eating and motivated for that.

Will do the first 20% water change today.

Any other tips? Thanks for all the advice so far.

Is he producing waste in the tank?

Also make sure the water is getting oxygenated buy the filter. there should be alot of water movement at the top of the tank

Will check for waste tonight.

Water is moving at the top but I'll check again to make sure it's moving enough

Water seems to be moving around OK on top.

Waste does seem a little sparse compared to the usual logs he leaves behind.

Going to do 20% water change now.

Keep with the water changes for now.

Remember. Always room temperature water so keep a supply ready for your changes.

Also keep treating your goldfish with the recommended dosage of medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Did you ever test the water parameters in your aquarium?

Did your aquarium go through the nitrogen cycle?

Do you have a 'pond style' goldfish or a fancy goldfish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Hope he gets better op

neonsofa wrote: »
    Hope he gets better op

Bad news this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Bad news this morning.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that. You tried your best, do you know what it was?

• Advertisement

:(
    Bad news this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best to look into getting a heater and some easy to care for tropicals than to replace the goldfish. They're really not suitable fish for the average home aquarium imo.

:(

Thanks for all your help honkey. Unfortunately the decline had started before I could act in hindsight.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Best to look into getting a heater and some easy to care for tropicals than to replace the goldfish. They're really not suitable fish for the average home aquarium imo.

was just going to ask that next. The tank isn't by any way massive but I would still like to have a few low maintenance but attractive fish for me and the kids. I'm never going to be an expert at this either, worth bearing in mind.

What should I do next?

was just going to ask that next. The tank isn't by any way massive but I would still like to have a few low maintenance but attractive fish for me and the kids. I'm never going to be an expert at this either, worth bearing in mind.

What should I do next?

Is it around 30-40 litres you said?

A betta or some endlers would be your best bet for hardy.

What should I do next?

If you want a single fish go for a Betta fish

If you want a couple of exciting fish go for guppies

If you want a shoal of fish get neon tetras

All are very easy to look after and look great in a smaller tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If you want a single fish go for a Betta fish

If you want a couple of exciting fish go for guppies

If you want a shoal of fish get neon tetras

All are very easy to look after and look great in a smaller tank

I'd imagine most people will say the same as that, solid advice.

My tuppence would be to add a live plant or two, something bulletproof like an anubias, really helps with water quality and require zero maintenance. If you get one that's already attached to some wood you really cant go wrong.

Thanks guys. So it sounds like the advice is to go tropical/warm??

Assuming this, could I take the questions back to basics.

The tank I inherited is most likely not as large as I originally thought. Probably closer to 20l than 30!

I have two young boys so I know they'll want to pick a fish each. And I'd probably need to allow for a third fish should the occasion arrive.
    In reality, is my tank big enough?

Bearing in mind that it has to accommodate the existing standalone filter along with a heater and light if I go tropical. Plants and decoration too.

If not, what is the smallest and most compact size tank to house 3 of the various fish types as recommended in previous posts. Can I get s tank type that has the filter, heater and light built in?

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Can you get the dimensions of the tank? :)

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Can you get the dimensions of the tank? :)

It's 18l. No idea why I thought it was 30. Doh

It's 18l. No idea why I thought it was 30l 🀥

Nothing springs to mind apart from the betta for me then.

That or you could get some shrimp, like cherry shrimp.

It's 18l. No idea why I thought it was 30. Doh

Put up a pic of your tank

I have Red Cherry Shrimp , Blue Crystal Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp in a Fluval Chi Tank which I added extra lights to.

This is mine for an Idea

Tomorrow I have a 168 ltr tank divided into 4 for the Big Shrimp Project :D

412036.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

for an 18L I'd go with shrimp, they're amazing to watch and you get to see their whole lifecycle.

18L is too small really for any fish, by the time you add gravel, plants and heater / filter, there's a lot of water displacement.

Thanks guys. Fully accept that my tank is too small. So let's put that out of the picture.

Googling, I like the idea of the guppies, I know the lads would love them.

What's a realistic size tank to potentially house 2 of them. Or some combination of a third fish type at a push.

For consideration, I have about a foot in depth and about 2 and a half foot Max counter space for it to fit on.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thanks guys. Fully accept that my tank is too small. So let's put that out of the picture.

What's a realistic size tank to potentially house 2 of them. Or some combination of a third fish type at a push.

For consideration, I have about a foot in depth and about 2 and a half foot Max counter space for it to fit on.

Thanks

Guppies are a shoaling fish, so it's not really going to work just keeping 2, you'd want 6 to 12 at a minimum.
    And to do that, you'd need at least 45L of tank space, I wouldn't house anything other than shrimp in anything less than that.

I'd recommend guppies or endlers for kids though, they're very active and colourful. 2 foot by 1 foot will get you a 60L tank so that's a good sized tank for a few guppies.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Where are you living. Maybe someone here can help you set up a tank.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Having carefully reviewed your feedback, taken in to consideration the space I have and calculating my wife's tolerance, I'm going to top out at 45l.

Looking for ideas on Amazon, I saw this. 40l and comes with filter, heater and light. 110 Euro.

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Premium Kit - 40 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYG3YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_246YybSZ2WX2C

Anyone have any strong opinions on this sort of package or suggestions for cheaper or better alternative packages

Thanks for the input so far guys. Having carefully reviewed your feedback, taken in to consideration the space I have and calculating my wife's tolerance, I'm going to top out at 45l.

Looking for ideas on Amazon, I saw this. 40l and comes with filter, heater and light. 110 Euro.

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Premium Kit - 40 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYG3YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_246YybSZ2WX2C

Anyone have any strong opinions on this sort of package or suggestions for cheaper or better alternative packages

This is a 54ltr tank with all the bells and whistles around the same price as yours delivered from amazon

http://www.petstop.ie/marina-premium-54-aquarium-black

This is a 54ltr tank with all the bells and whistles around the same price as yours delivered from amazon

http://www.petstop.ie/marina-premium-54-aquarium-black

Cool. The length might prove an issue at home but otherwise, yeah looks cool.
    Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

In my opinion, unless you're in a rush, theres great value for money to be had going down the second hand route. Just have a peruse on Adverts.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you're in a rush, theres great value for money to be had going down the second hand route. Just have a peruse on Adverts.

Yeah, been keeping an eye on that too. Nothing too local of interest. Cost of fuel would negate any saving compared to Amazon.

Can anyone give info here or link to a site with a foolproof dummies guide for first timer fishless cycling a tropical tank.

Going to practice on my small tank while I'm saving for something a bit fancier! :-)

Can anyone give info here or link to a site with a foolproof dummies guide for first timer fishless cycling a tropical tank.

Going to practice on my small tank while I'm saving for something a bit fancier! :-)

Do you know anybody with a tropical aquarium already? If so, if you get some of their filter media and aquarium water from a water change when they do a water change there will be no need to cycle.

What park of the country are you in?

What park of the country are you in?

I'm in wicklow. I don't want to put anyone to any bother. Happy to try figure it out myself!

Use the current small tank to practice on.

Advertisement