Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Goldfish

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

It's 18l. No idea why I thought it was 30l 🀥

Nothing springs to mind apart from the betta for me then.

That or you could get some shrimp, like cherry shrimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

It's 18l. No idea why I thought it was 30. Doh

Put up a pic of your tank

I have Red Cherry Shrimp , Blue Crystal Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp in a Fluval Chi Tank which I added extra lights to.

This is mine for an Idea

Tomorrow I have a 168 ltr tank divided into 4 for the Big Shrimp Project :D

412036.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

for an 18L I'd go with shrimp, they're amazing to watch and you get to see their whole lifecycle.

18L is too small really for any fish, by the time you add gravel, plants and heater / filter, there's a lot of water displacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks guys. Fully accept that my tank is too small. So let's put that out of the picture.

Googling, I like the idea of the guppies, I know the lads would love them.

What's a realistic size tank to potentially house 2 of them. Or some combination of a third fish type at a push.

For consideration, I have about a foot in depth and about 2 and a half foot Max counter space for it to fit on.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thanks guys. Fully accept that my tank is too small. So let's put that out of the picture.

What's a realistic size tank to potentially house 2 of them. Or some combination of a third fish type at a push.

For consideration, I have about a foot in depth and about 2 and a half foot Max counter space for it to fit on.

Thanks

Guppies are a shoaling fish, so it's not really going to work just keeping 2, you'd want 6 to 12 at a minimum.
    And to do that, you'd need at least 45L of tank space, I wouldn't house anything other than shrimp in anything less than that.

I'd recommend guppies or endlers for kids though, they're very active and colourful. 2 foot by 1 foot will get you a 60L tank so that's a good sized tank for a few guppies.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Where are you living. Maybe someone here can help you set up a tank.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Having carefully reviewed your feedback, taken in to consideration the space I have and calculating my wife's tolerance, I'm going to top out at 45l.

Looking for ideas on Amazon, I saw this. 40l and comes with filter, heater and light. 110 Euro.

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Premium Kit - 40 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYG3YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_246YybSZ2WX2C

Anyone have any strong opinions on this sort of package or suggestions for cheaper or better alternative packages

Thanks for the input so far guys. Having carefully reviewed your feedback, taken in to consideration the space I have and calculating my wife's tolerance, I'm going to top out at 45l.

Looking for ideas on Amazon, I saw this. 40l and comes with filter, heater and light. 110 Euro.

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Premium Kit - 40 Litre https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUYG3YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_246YybSZ2WX2C

Anyone have any strong opinions on this sort of package or suggestions for cheaper or better alternative packages

This is a 54ltr tank with all the bells and whistles around the same price as yours delivered from amazon

http://www.petstop.ie/marina-premium-54-aquarium-black

This is a 54ltr tank with all the bells and whistles around the same price as yours delivered from amazon

http://www.petstop.ie/marina-premium-54-aquarium-black

Cool. The length might prove an issue at home but otherwise, yeah looks cool.
    Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

In my opinion, unless you're in a rush, theres great value for money to be had going down the second hand route. Just have a peruse on Adverts.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you're in a rush, theres great value for money to be had going down the second hand route. Just have a peruse on Adverts.

Yeah, been keeping an eye on that too. Nothing too local of interest. Cost of fuel would negate any saving compared to Amazon.

Can anyone give info here or link to a site with a foolproof dummies guide for first timer fishless cycling a tropical tank.

Going to practice on my small tank while I'm saving for something a bit fancier! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Can anyone give info here or link to a site with a foolproof dummies guide for first timer fishless cycling a tropical tank.

Going to practice on my small tank while I'm saving for something a bit fancier! :-)

Do you know anybody with a tropical aquarium already? If so, if you get some of their filter media and aquarium water from a water change when they do a water change there will be no need to cycle.

What park of the country are you in?

What park of the country are you in?

I'm in wicklow. I don't want to put anyone to any bother. Happy to try figure it out myself!

Use the current small tank to practice on.

Advertisement