Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thanks for the info on steel prices lads, i'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow and order the steel this weekend for one or two small projects ive been meaning to get around to for ages, i'll ring around first for quotes and i'll post the prices here if anyone is interested.
    Just looking at your posts there was 4/5 euro difference in the price of a 7m length i'll only be ordering a few lengths but it does add up.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They can reach ok !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    They can reach ok !

Noice

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Sweet as a nut there Bullocks

Sweet as a nut there Bullocks

I wouldnt say its that good but the next one will be better !
    I cant weld so have to get the father to stick it together , I just cut them to size , clamp them together and wait patiently while he welds , I'll have to learn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

They can reach ok !

What height did you put the bottom board after

I wouldnt say its that good but the next one will be better !
    I cant weld so have to get the father to stick it together , I just cut them to size , clamp them together and wait patiently while he welds , I'll have to learn

There's nothing to it bullocks. Your father should teach ya in no time

rangler1 wrote: »
    What height did you put the bottom board after

Its a foot off the ground - 40mm box 225mm timber and 40mm box

Reggie. wrote: »
    There's nothing to it bullocks. Your father should teach ya in no time

Teaching/patients isnt a virtue in the Bullocks family , even though he gives the odd go of the welder to my young lad so maybe I wont have to learn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Teaching/patients isnt a virtue in the Bullocks family , even though he gives the odd go of the welder to my young lad so maybe I wont have to learn :D

All it is (for an arc welder) is touch the welding rod to the piece of metal to get an arc of current (spark) and keep the rod a few millimetres off the piece of metal while going back and forth across the join.

That's all really.:o

It's a skill every farmer should have.
    I learnt it in ag college. Even though they showed us welding in about 2 hours over the whole green cert.:cool:
    But it never leaves you once you get the knack.

There's no shortage of broken things to weld on a farm.:pac::D

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    All it is (for an arc welder) is touch the welding rod to the piece of metal to get an arc of current (spark) and keep the rod a few millimetres off the piece of metal while going back and forth across the join.

That's all really.:o

It's a skill every farmer should have.
    I learnt it in ag college. Even though they showed us welding in about 2 hours over the whole green cert.:cool:
    But it never leaves you once you get the knack.

There's no shortage of broken things to weld on a farm.:pac::D

I gave it a few quick goes and ended up stuck to the steel mostly .
    Theres plenty broken around here anyhow , you're right about it being a skill every farmer should have

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Apologies Bullocks, tried a couple of times to upload your photo, and it was always upside down, good barrier though.

Started a little project this week. A good tip for anyone buying a used plough is buy a 4 or 5 furrow and hopefully there is enough good parts for 3 bodies. Had the big sockets out yesterday.

411678.JPG

411679.JPG

The eagle eyed will have spotted the 'resource pile(s)' in the backround:o I have a bad case of blue paint disease.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I gave it a few quick goes and ended up stuck to the steel mostly .
    Theres plenty broken around here anyhow , you're right about it being a skill every farmer should have

They showed us block laying as well in about 1 hour.
    I don't think there were too many master builders coming out of kildalton.:D
    Could have done with yourself teaching us.;)

Thanks blue , perks of the mod job ha !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

in this house if i use a tool of dads that i'm not certified to use i get the head bit off me...my only cert is my driving licence(and the spraying one) so now i'm planning on buying new tools for myself expecting to get the head bitten off for wasting money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    Apologies Bullocks, tried a couple of times to upload your photo, and it was always upside down, good barrier though.

Started a little project this week. A good tip for anyone buying a used plough is buy a 4 or 5 furrow and hopefully there is enough good parts for 3 bodies. Had the big sockets out yesterday.

411678.JPG

411679.JPG

The eagle eyed will have spotted the 'resource pile(s)' in the backround:o I have a bad case of blue paint disease.
    Blue, what is the tool with the socket attached? Never seen one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

blue5000 wrote: »

411678.JPG

411679.JPG

Lemken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭visatorro

Base price wrote: »
    Blue, what is the tool with the socket attached? Never seen one before.

Torque multiplier?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A nut cracker, great job for rusty seized nuts and bolts.

Link not working for some reason, Mickey it's a Ransomes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

visatorro wrote: »
    Torque multiplier?
    I've heard of them but never seen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭visatorro

Base price wrote: »
    I've heard of them but never seen one.

Most farmers just put an extra long pipe over the pull bar and put their back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

visatorro wrote: »
    Most farmers just put an extra long pipe over the pull bar and put their back into it!

Still wont beat the torque multiplier.
    They are rated for nearly twice the torque of a good inch air gun.
    I have one myself and would recommend one, even a cheap one,
    They will eithre open the bolt or snap it off

9935452 wrote: »
    Still wont beat the torque multiplier.
    They are rated for nearly twice the torque of a good inch air gun.
    I have one myself and would recommend one, even a cheap one,
    They will eithre open the bolt or snap it off
    Yeah they are a great job

ganmo wrote: »
    in this house if i use a tool of dads that i'm not certified to use i get the head bit off me...my only cert is my driving licence(and the spraying one) so now i'm planning on buying new tools for myself expecting to get the head bitten off for wasting money

Haha I'm allowed (at 33) to use more or less anything except his bulldozer and he is a bit precious about me spreading fertilizer on his place cos I horse it out from the middle and travel as little as possible of the garden compared to his careful covering of every inch without stripes or overlaps

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Not a great pic but would anyone be able hazard a guess, is that curved sheeting Asbestos? Just wondering ahead of time, will get it checked by some one qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭White Clover

delaney001 wrote: »
    Not a great pic but would anyone be able hazard a guess, is that curved sheeting Asbestos? Just wondering ahead of time, will get it checked by some one qualified

No picture showing Delaney, but it's highly unlikely it's asbestos or Fibre cement. These tend to be brittle and will break/crack if you try bending them or they will break if not handled gently.

delaney001 wrote: »

Still no pic delaney

Reggie. wrote: »
    Still no pic delaney

Jesus I'm getting awful hardship here!! Cheers for the patience. Won't let me upload the file. Hopefully this link might work
    https://imgur.com/gallery/IwVXY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No pic. Delaney, but if its less than 30 years old, almost certainly fibre cement.
    Older stuff from the 50's could easily be asbestos.
    Don't cut it with an angle grinder or any powered tools, other than that, its inert.

EDIT. Picture there now. I would bet that's fibre cement. Never saw asbestos with those sharp radius's.

Advertisement