Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not cheap I agree. Have the hooks on the fiat, they're a great job, if the balls start falling out of the 5000 the hooks are being welded on instead.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Not cheap I agree. Have the hooks on the fiat, they're a great job, if the balls start falling out of the 5000 the hooks are being welded on instead.

Great job for hooking up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Reggie. wrote: »
    Great job for hooking up

Better than tinder? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Never even realised you could retro fit these, cheers for the tip. Although as good as I think I can weld Ill be leaving this job to a pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Never even realised you could retro fit these, cheers for the tip. Although as good as I think I can weld Ill be leaving this job to a pro!

Best choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not cheap. .. but what price should a farmer put on his safety? This is on my list of things to do this summer on my own tractor. Everytime l am wrestling with an implement l curse my tractors balls... and vow to cut them off..... with an angle grinder!!..... :D

It's a case of me getting them before they get me. Crush zones are a major cause of farm accidents. Hooks should be on the next farm safety campaign, after pto covers.

On the subject of pto shafts.... could they be done away with altogether and replaced with hydraulic motors? Or why can this not be done by machinery manufacturers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    ....On the subject of pto shafts.... could they be done away with altogether and replaced with hydraulic motors? Or why can this not be done by machinery manufacturers?
    This setup with a hydraulic pump on the tractor and a motor on the implement is very inefficient when compared to a PTO shaft. You'd get a big drop in HP from the tractor to the implement. Could be as much as a 30% loss in power. That energy loss is through the generation of heat, so that heat has to be dissipated with a cooler.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This setup with a hydraulic pump on the tractor and a motor on the implement is very inefficient when compared to a PTO shaft. You'd get a big drop in HP from the tractor to the implement. Could be as much as a 30% loss in power. That energy loss is through the generation of heat, so that heat has to be dissipated with a cooler.

Can be used for vacuum pumps, lighter things liked that. More expensive though.

I just found a new way to pull out a bearing, this lad is worth a sub

He is one cool dude Canadian....'percussive maintenance' :D I love it!

That is a class trick with the rag.....my head's blown off!:cool: The power of hydraulics, or can you call it that with grease?!?!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    He is one cool dude Canadian....'percussive maintenance' :D I love it!

That is a class trick with the rag.....my head's blown off!:cool: The power of hydraulics, or can you call it that with grease?!?!

Turn on the youtube subtitles for a laugh, they have a bit of difficulty figuring out his use of the english language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this article on a device fitted to sows to stop them laying on bonhams and the guy developed most of it himself by guntering.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2017/03/22/iowa-students-shocking-gadget-helps-make-sure-these-little-piggies-doesnt-get-squished/99214650/

Pavlov's theory in action

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

Looking for ideas to keep a trailer secure. Have no sheds so will have to keep it outside. There's a main road runs past us so needs to be locked up. Going to cut off a towing ball and put it in and lock it in the hitch. Was also thinking a bollard into the ground just behind the hitch into that space. Lock it and would be hard got at and they'd have to get trailer lifted up over it. Any other good locks for hitches out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Dupont wrote: »
    Looking for ideas to keep a trailer secure. Have no sheds so will have to keep it outside. There's a main road runs past us so needs to be locked up. Going to cut off a towing ball and put it in and lock it in the hitch. Was also thinking a bollard into the ground just behind the hitch into that space. Lock it and would be hard got at and they'd have to get trailer lifted up over it. Any other good locks for hitches out there

I use something like this, it's very visible but nothing is 100%.
    Probably a wheel clamp in conjuction with that would be good

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/maypole-trailer-universal-hitch-lock.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwofHHBRDS0Pnhpef89ucBEiQASEp6LJtnNWuf1ICkMntvgvZ7puPvz2skDRwloZtj5rh4yVIaAnZx8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/maypole-universal-trailer-wheel-clamp-8-10.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwofHHBRDS0Pnhpef89ucBEiQASEp6LP-1gVew7vpAJGqkkcRzgxDBWWgO2Dnrvd7KrJ1ccPMaAmTs8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Quick question lads . I've an idea here put need to up load a photo for ye to see it . How do ye put the photos up here . Pretty thick with this kinda stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

lab man wrote: »
    Quick question lads . I've an idea here put need to up load a photo for ye to see it . How do ye put the photos up here . Pretty thick with this kinda stuff
    When you create a new post, there's a paper clip icon at the top. Follow the links to your photo on you labtop and upload.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Tks patsy I'll try that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dupont wrote: »

You should consider blocking it in with a tractor trailer or some machinery...if they see it takes time to move these they will think twice about stealing it. Its all about making it hard for the thieves.

lab man wrote: »

Any joy lab man?

If you scroll down when you are typing a reply you'll see a blue box 'manage attachments' click on it,
    a new window opens.
    Maximise it as it is small

Then click on 'choose file'
    select the picture you want. (You'll get options where to look in your pc)
    Jpeg is easiest
    Then click upload.

Get back to me if you're still having problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

kk.man wrote: »
    You should consider blocking it in with a tractor trailer or some machinery...if they see it takes time to move these they will think twice about stealing it. Its all about making it hard for the thieves.

I block them with a slurry tanker. Pain in the hole when I want it myself though.

blue5000 wrote:
    Any joy lab man?

Am working all weekend , on until Thursday so hope to take a foto an do it then blue

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Grueller wrote: »
    I block them with a slurry tanker. Pain in the hole when I want it myself though.

Heard they started plucking them out from over walls with hiabs to overcome clamps and locks! A towbar bolted/welded to a wall/pillar and lock trailer on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

rangler1 wrote: »
    I use something like this, it's very visible but nothing is 100%.
    Probably a wheel clamp in conjuction with that would be good

With the development of these
    P-e14300-370_370.jpg
    All you can do is try and buy some time and make it harder for them to be taken...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

stock> wrote: »
    P-e14300-370_370.jpg
    All you can do is try and buy some time and make it harder for them to be taken...............
    The local hedgecutting contractor has one of those in the cab for wire that invariably gets caught in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

stock> wrote: »
    P-e14300-370_370.jpg
    It'll be hard cutting with a grinding disc and no battery :)

One of the slatted tanks was very full and no time or bare ground to spread on. Quickest solution is to pump it across to other tank. Pump doesnt have a top fill facility. Two 6" 90°bends (one fitted over the nozzle )and 20ft of wavin pipe and we had slurry flowing. 10 min with tractor at around 1200 rpm shifted around 22kgals.

415597.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

One of the slatted tanks was very full and no time or bare ground to spread on. Quickest solution is to pump it across to other tank. Pump doesnt have a top fill facility. Two 6" 90°bends (one fitted over the nozzle )and 20ft of wavin pipe and we had slurry flowing. 10 min with tractor at around 1200 rpm shifted around 22kgals.

That's grade A guntering!

My timing is wrong. Should be closer to 20 mins. Not 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

That's grade A guntering!

Must agree as they even used a bit of salvaged old rope.........class guntering that....................................

Advertisement