Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

jones wrote: »
    The built in rechargeable battery is the main one but the pro seems a lot better overall. Not that I'd be paying 473 for it though

You should check out these.

NITECORE Battery 16340 RCR123 IC Protected 650mAh NC 16340

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saw this earlier and thought of here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saw this earlier and thought of here.

Damn it, photo is too big to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

First gen Hue lightstrip down to £34.99

Philips Hue First Generation LightStrips Smart Lighting Kit - 1 x 200 cm Non-Extendable LED LightStrip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KDG406Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PqEWyb9WDTKA7

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Philips Hue First Generation LightStrips Smart Lighting Kit - 1 x 200 cm Non-Extendable LED LightStrip https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KDG406Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PqEWyb9WDTKA7

I had told myself I would leaving it a month or 2 to get these until I could afford them. but at that price....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I had told myself I would leaving it a month or 2 to get these until I could afford them. but at that price....

Have a read of this before you do
    https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/03/philips-hue-lightstrips-2015-ifa/

First gen only does 120 lumens vs 1600 in the second gen!!
    Also you cant do white light :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

BobbyT28 wrote: »

I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

beanian wrote: »
    Have a read of this before you do
    https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/03/philips-hue-lightstrips-2015-ifa/

First gen only does 120 lumens vs 1600 in the second gen!!
    Also you cant do white light :mad:

I have a large cuboard which is height of the ceiling in the kitchen which hides away all my sky box, dvd player, dvd's, laptops, immersion switch, solar panel's controls, etc and can never find anything cause its quite dark, so going to put one of the light strips in, with a sensor so light comes on every time press is opened.

Also gives me a basic light strip to start playing with, and get ideas where I might get the V2 for. .

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I have a large cuboard which is height of the ceiling in the kitchen which hides away all my sky box, dvd player, dvd's, laptops, immersion switch, solar panel's controls, etc and can never find anything cause its quite dark, so going to put one of the light strips in, with a sensor so light comes on every time press is opened.

Also gives me a basic light strip to start playing with, and get ideas where I might get the V2 for. .

Ah yeah it'll be perfect for that. I need mine for under cabinet lighting in the kitchen so it'll need to kick out a fair bit of light so I ordered the V2 instead.

:D

• Advertisement

I hate you.

My wife also hates me!! Just love these lights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

New Nest protect battery powered 2nd gen is currently £60 on Amazon UK from a third party seller.
    £6 to post to Ireland or you can parcel motel it for maybe slightly cheaper.

This seems to be the lowest ever price for this so I grabbed 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I saw that and was very worried that there might be something dodgy about the seller!

Amazon themselves have also reduced it to 82 pounds which is the lowest they've had it in ages! So I bought them there.

Either way .. bargain!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZC5F9W2/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1489217448&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nest+protect

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Looks dodgy, the seller is:

Sold by Birmingham Reptiles and Pets

What is a pet shop doing selling Nest gear. Sounds like one of those scams where a legit seller is hacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Back up to £99 now.

bk wrote: »
    Looks dodgy, the seller is:

Sold by Birmingham Reptiles and Pets

What is a pet shop doing selling Nest gear. Sounds like one of those scams where a legit seller is hacked!

I bought when it was £60 from the seller "Your Highstreet Outlet" which has nearly 600 reviews and been trading for 5 years so I think should be ok and all is covered by Amazon anyway if not...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

reni10 wrote: »
    I bought when it was £60 from the seller "Your Highstreet Outlet" which has nearly 600 reviews and been trading for 5 years so I think should be ok and all is covered by Amazon anyway if not...

Looks like scam to me, that retailer normally sells clothes, ladies underwear! Why are they selling Nest suddenly!

What happens is that real retailers accounts get hacked and fake, too good to be true deals get added by the hacker. So the 600 reviews and 5 years is irrelevant.

I almost fell for his once, a NAS at almost half the price. Fortunately Amazon noticed and refunded the money.

However whatever you do, make sure you don't respond to any emails from the merchant and agree to send money outside of amazon.

Also another way this scam works is that Amazon drops their price as a result of the third party seller being so much cheaper and the hacker and/or third party seller can then buy it from Amazon at the cheaper price.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, just be careful and let us know how it goes.

The 2 Nest Protects have now been despatched and I have a tracking number so still seems to be on the level.

It is all covered by Amazon guarantee so even if it does not turn up then I should be refunded fully without issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Will be interesting to see the manufacturing dates on those units ( Gen 2 last 10 yrs , Gen 1 only 7 )

Back down to £89 this morning - not as good as the deal on Saturday but still better value than it has been in recent months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Back down to £89 this morning - not as good as the deal on Saturday but still better value than it has been in recent months.

Is their a G3 fit to launch soon?

I've no idea ted1 - have you heard anything?

I've bought mine now anyway - so I'm stuck with them for ten years (hopefully!).

They were selling for much of last year around the £89 mark according to camelcamelcamel - but I only started looking in January of this year and they had been averaging around the £100 mark from other sellers and £110ish from Amazon. So I decided to leap at the £82 on Saturday (which became £84 when Irish VAT was applied)

Is this a really expensive fire/carbon monoxide alarm or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Is this a really expensive fire/carbon monoxide alarm or am I missing something?

If you "buy into" the nest ecosystem (& they're expanding it this/next year), it's more than that. They've multiple sensors in them including movement, light, temperature. They tie into the nest cam & thermostat for controlling your heating.

OU812 wrote: »
    If you "buy into" the nest ecosystem (& they're expanding it this/next year), it's more than that. They've multiple sensors in them including movement, light, temperature. They tie into the nest cam & thermostat for controlling your heating.

Ok thanks. Well that's me out so as I have a netatmo thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The main advantage is that if it senses CO it'll shut off your boiler, on the basis you have a NEST

ted1 wrote: »
    The main advantage is that if it senses CO it'll shut off your boiler, on the basis you have a NEST

You could also do the same with Netatmo via IFTTT.

Essentially.

It's benefits are as follows (I'm not saying if they are worth the price or not!)
    • It's an interlinked system (so if one alarm registers they all go off)
    • It's battery powered so can be retrofitted
    • It will notify you on your phone of an alarm if you are not home
    • The alarms are "addressed" so you can know which alarm is activated
    • It can be accessed by home automation software so that you can program certain things to happen in the event of an alarm sounding - i.e. Lights on, boiler off, etc.
    • It is allegedly "self-testing"
    • It has a built in occupancy sensor and small light if you want to use it.
    • It has more advanced battery monitoring than a "standard" alarm

It's downsides are as follows:
    • Outrageous price
    • Buying into the "Nest" ecosystem and associated further expense!
    • Only a limited number of parameters can be obtained by a home automation system
    • Built in micro-phone!!!!!!
    • Like all CO alarms it has a finite life

It has a lot of other advantages over a basic smoke and CO alarm:

- Remote monitoring, if a fire starts in your home while you are out you will know about it and can call the fire brigade, neighbour, etc. Might be the difference between a burned kitchen and a burned down house!

- Connected smoke alarms, if you have multiple alarms, when one goes off, they all go off. Could give you more time to safely evacuate your home. If you have a big house and the smoke alarm goes off in your kitchen, you might not hear it in the bedroom while sleeping. But if you have two nests one in your kitchen and one in the hallway outside your bedrooms, then both go off, thus giving you more time to respond. BTW this is often a feature of more advanced "dumb" smoke alarms, but not the cheap ones most people have.

- It combines two sensors, ones for detecting both fast and slow burning fires.
    Once I read up about this one, I found it to be quite shocking. Basically the most commonly installed smoke alarms will quickly detect fast burning fires, but can take up to 40 minutes (if at all) to detect slow burning smouldering type fires. That delay can be deadly as slow burning fires produce lots of smoke which is actually the most common way people die in fires.

So ideally at each location you want three alarms, a slow burning one, a fast burning one and a co alarm. Nest Protect integrates all three types into one.

- It self tests. It constantly monitors that the alarm is working and even regularly tests that the bell is working. When was the last time you tested your smoke alarms?

I'm sure like most regular people without OCD, probably rarely if at all. So how do you know they are still working? If you test it toady, how do you know it is still working next week?

Nest Protects self test and send you a notification if they fail. This gives you much greater protection as you know the alarm is actually working.

- Nest Protects can detect what is likely just smoke from burnt toast/cooking and they don't immediately go off. Instead they give you just a spoken warning, which you can then mute with the phone app as you deal with the problem.

Can be handy if your OH is always burning things in the kitchen and ends up waking the baby with a blaring alarm :rolleyes:

I would say these are the main benefits of Nest Protect, rather then integration with other Nest products, which are handy, but not that important IMO.

BTW, however you might consider if buying 5 photoelectric alarms would give you greater protection then just one Nest protect.

• Advertisement

Mine came yesterday - one thing to note if your router at home does not support IPv6 you may/will have problems installing them - mine didn't but I was lucky that I had an old one lying around that I could use that did support it.

Edit: You only need IPv6 internally in your house - your ISP does not need to support it.

Advertisement