Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I was very tempted by the remote but I can't justify it currently- going to set up a camel thing for it though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

tallpaul wrote: »
    Lifx dimmable colour bulbs reduced to£9.99 on Amazon. Out of stock but can be ordered!!

Looks like these might ship? I got an email saying they are in stock and shipping tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Looks like these might ship? I got an email saying they are in stock and shipping tomorrow.

So did I. Sorry I didn't order more at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yup got an email this morning. I ordered 3 at the time so very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yup got an email this morning. I ordered 3 at the time so very happy :)

I only ordered one so I'm kicking myself!

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    I only ordered one so I'm kicking myself!

I nearly ordered 8 or 9 to finish off a good few more lights but herself had a meltdown a few days before about spending so much on "stupid" bulbs so I valued my life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Logitec harmony remote plus hub for, $69

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smartphone-Simple/dp/B00BQ5RYI4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_awdo_dcs_7lqLyb0XA7GZB_tt

This comes with the hub as well. You can order from this website but they only deliver to the US. Bought some other stuff off then last week and sending it to a relative over there who will get it over to us. I'd go for this as well, only feel like I'd be taking the piss out of the relative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Logitec harmony remote plus hub for, $69

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Control-Smartphone-Simple/dp/B00BQ5RYI4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_awdo_dcs_7lqLyb0XA7GZB_tt

This comes with the hub as well. You can order from this website but they only deliver to the US. Bought some other stuff off then last week and sending it to a relative over there who will get it over to us. I'd go for this as well, only feel like I'd be taking the piss out of the relative

$129 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My bargain LIFX bulb arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to set it up yet. Considerably larger than a regular bulb but no issue for me as it will be hidden by a large shade. Might be a consideration for others.

Interestingly the LIFX app also works on Apple Watch so I will be able to annoy 'someone' at home by changing the colour at will. It's the little things I tell ya...

Yeh i got my two as well and installed one in the light outside over the front door. works fine. Apparently the lifx bulbs are getting apple homekit integration this month which would be great, not 100% if they are going to update these ones to be included though. Definitely worth 9.99 each!

• Advertisement

Yeh i got my two as well and installed one in the light outside over the front door. works fine. Apparently the lifx bulbs are getting apple homekit integration this month which would be great, not 100% if they are going to update these ones to be included though. Definitely worth 9.99 each!

I was planning on putting them outside but haven't yet as it says on the box not suitable for outdoor use.

Feels a very premium product from the packaging to the bulb itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I was planning on putting them outside but haven't yet as it says on the box not suitable for outdoor use.

I read a review on all these, and same as normal bulbs, if they are in a protected light covering etc they are fine outdoors eg. as long as they aren't getting wet.
    There other reasoning is due to the heat outdoors, but don't think that is an issue in Ireland :)

Yeh i know the packaging says not for outdoors but my front and side light are covered over by a round glass bowl thing, id imagine if water was getting in there the normal bulbs wouldnt be working either. the front light is covered by a porch shelter thing to as well. so at 9.99 each im going to risk it! its been cold the last few days and so far no issues!

The D-Link DCS-932L Wireless Day/Night Cloud IP Home Camera is reduced to 28 sterling on amazon today. i have no experience with them but at that price said id take a gamble on two of them. they have ifttt support.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004P8K24W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The D-Link DCS-932L Wireless Day/Night Cloud IP Home Camera is reduced to 28 sterling on amazon today. i have no experience with them but at that price said id take a gamble on two of them. they have ifttt support.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004P8K24W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon reviews are quite scathing, lots of upset buyers with the D-Link software, setup and maintenance.

I'll report back I bought two. I think they will do me for what I'm after. Until I get a ring pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I bought one, like optimus prime looking at a ring but waiting to see if it pops up ona super bargain first. In the mean time this will do for the back garden, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Any recommendations for door locking unlocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Not sure what your budget is but I normally find a key works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i dont think any of them yet meet the requirements of insurance co's unfortunately

to me thats something that would really be handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

What kind of door/lock do you have at the mo, or are you replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

What kind of door/lock do you have at the mo, or are you replacing?

Standard I guess, one of those ones you lift up to pull the bolts, push down to pull back the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

Standard I guess, one of those ones you lift up to pull the bolts, push down to pull back the tongue.

The short answer is there is no cheap, easy, secure solution. Anyone that uses a battery powered solution to secure their home, for the sake of using a key, is a mentalist.

Unfortunately every door manufacturer sources their own locks, so there is no standardisation here. They might look similar from door to door, but many vary in dimensions making retro fitting anything a nightmare.
    You could add a smidgen of "smart locking" by replacing your euro cylinder (the bit the key goes into) with a battery powered RFID cylinder but this really only gives you the option to open with a fob or Android smart phone.
    For proper automagic open/close functionality, you'd need to look at replacing your existing multi-point lock with an electro-mechanical version. For most domestic situations this is overkill. The US market for smart locks is different because the locks are a single point lock and surface fitted and lack proper security.
    I wouldn't consider anything battery powered and a mains powered solution would need a battery backup and fail-secure. In other words, power goes off, backup battery eventually drains and your door is locked until power is restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Is €20.99 in Tesco a decent price for the WeMo plug?

Yamanoto wrote: »

Is that not really cheap for the Lifx Bulbs?

Is that not really cheap for the Lifx Bulbs?

It didn't specify if they were colour or white only & tbh I don't know what the standard pricing is on those or the Belkin plugs.

It didn't specify if they were colour or white only & tbh I don't know what the standard pricing is on those or the Belkin plugs.

The colour are normally £55ish on Amazon. I haven't seen the plain white bulb anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Normally around £39 on Amazon UK
    Where was this?

Tesco Clonmel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Mylow wrote: »
    Normally around £39 on Amazon UK
    Where was this?

big price difference between Wemo switch plug and a TP Link (on amazon at least) is there much functional difference?

Advertisement