Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Working As A Teacher In America

• 11-03-2017 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2 lillie211

Hi I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the process involved in becoming an elementary school teacher? I am in sixth year, and while the CAO is closed now I've been going over my options some more, and I can change them, but I was wondering how I would go about it. I can't study to be a primary school teacher in Ireland as I don't have Irish, I'm exempted, and it's both too late and too expensive for me to go to college elsewhere at the moment. I was wondering if I could do an arts degree for three years and then do a post grad in the US or UK? Ideally in the US as that is where I wish to teach, but I don't know much information about studying over there. Or, if I'm exempted from Irish does this mean I could get into a primary education course here? Any help would be much appreciated thank you! If you need any more information or need anything clearing up then I can do that! And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm new :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ An Bradán Feasa

lillie211 wrote: »
    Or, if I'm exempted from Irish does this mean I could get into a primary education course here?

You can't enter primary teacher training in Ireland without Irish. A large part of the course involves competency in using the language as well as competency in teaching the language. Your best bet is the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,258 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

You can't enter primary teacher training in Ireland without Irish. A large part of the course involves competency in using the language as well as competency in teaching the language. Your best bet is the UK!

A cousin of mine done some training in the UK and I think he done some Irish courses here to, and was able to teach here afterwards. He's been teaching in Abu Dhabi last few years. Where there's a will, there's a way I guess. Best of luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭ afkasurfjunkie

Bear in mind the teaching conditions in America are often worse than here. Every state has different requirements, many teachers are educated to a masters standard and the pay isn't great. Spanish is needed as a language in some states as far as I know. It also seems expected that teachers buy their own resources in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,258 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

Bear in mind the teaching conditions in America are often worse than here. Every state has different requirements, many teachers are educated to a masters standard and the pay isn't great. Spanish is needed as a language in some states as far as I know. It also seems expected that teachers buy their own resources in a lot of places.

It's sounds like to me, their educational system is truly dreadful for all concerned but since I've no knowledge or experience of it, I can't be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭ Airyfairy12

If you do primary school teacher training in the UK, including northern Ireland you can work as a primary school teacher in the republic but only in special needs schools as they dont need Irish. I dont know what the guidelines are for primary school teaching in the US, they have an entirely different curriculum, maybe you could contact some schools in the states for information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lillie211

Thank you everyone who replied I don't really know how to respond to everything individually but it means a lot to me thank you!

Advertisement