Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working As A Teacher In America

Options
  • 11-03-2017 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the process involved in becoming an elementary school teacher? I am in sixth year, and while the CAO is closed now I've been going over my options some more, and I can change them, but I was wondering how I would go about it. I can't study to be a primary school teacher in Ireland as I don't have Irish, I'm exempted, and it's both too late and too expensive for me to go to college elsewhere at the moment. I was wondering if I could do an arts degree for three years and then do a post grad in the US or UK? Ideally in the US as that is where I wish to teach, but I don't know much information about studying over there. Or, if I'm exempted from Irish does this mean I could get into a primary education course here? Any help would be much appreciated thank you! If you need any more information or need anything clearing up then I can do that! And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm new :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

lillie211 wrote: »
    Or, if I'm exempted from Irish does this mean I could get into a primary education course here?

You can't enter primary teacher training in Ireland without Irish. A large part of the course involves competency in using the language as well as competency in teaching the language. Your best bet is the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You can't enter primary teacher training in Ireland without Irish. A large part of the course involves competency in using the language as well as competency in teaching the language. Your best bet is the UK!

A cousin of mine done some training in the UK and I think he done some Irish courses here to, and was able to teach here afterwards. He's been teaching in Abu Dhabi last few years. Where there's a will, there's a way I guess. Best of luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Bear in mind the teaching conditions in America are often worse than here. Every state has different requirements, many teachers are educated to a masters standard and the pay isn't great. Spanish is needed as a language in some states as far as I know. It also seems expected that teachers buy their own resources in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bear in mind the teaching conditions in America are often worse than here. Every state has different requirements, many teachers are educated to a masters standard and the pay isn't great. Spanish is needed as a language in some states as far as I know. It also seems expected that teachers buy their own resources in a lot of places.

It's sounds like to me, their educational system is truly dreadful for all concerned but since I've no knowledge or experience of it, I can't be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If you do primary school teacher training in the UK, including northern Ireland you can work as a primary school teacher in the republic but only in special needs schools as they dont need Irish. I dont know what the guidelines are for primary school teaching in the US, they have an entirely different curriculum, maybe you could contact some schools in the states for information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lillie211

Thank you everyone who replied I don't really know how to respond to everything individually but it means a lot to me thank you!

Advertisement