Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Starting back into these with 6x1 mile tomorrow. Helped me go sub 40 for the first time last year so hope to go sub 39 this year.
    What are people doing with regards to long runs? I'm going for 10-16 mile as per KC's advice earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

sideswipe wrote: »
    What are people doing with regards to long runs? I'm going for 10-16 mile as per KC's advice earlier in the thread.

I didn't go much above regular 10 mile runs with I think one or two 12 milers at most.

Once you have a good base you should be fine.

I find short steep hill repeats a great workout too. Really works the anaerobic capacity. Need to be fit for them though. I normally do x10 but if I'm not 100% it is too hard a session to complete. I would do these close to max.

I alternated between hill intervals one week and the next speed endurance intervals like 400m/800m upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

This week's excuse: The Drink. Beer, wine, whiskey the night before with a visiting Scottish lad. Not pissed out of my brain but enough for a fella my age to notice it the morning after.
    This week's session: 6x1 mile (finally!!, 5 weeks from goal 10k)
    So, with excuse safely stashed I head out for this number. Given that I only managed 5 of the 6x1k the previous week, I was glad to get it done. I did all 6 and even though the pace went a bit North of target, I was happy overall. First one was 5.53 mile and the last was 6.04. You get the picture. 
    On balance then, even though there's a good bit to do I think I can get near to pb shape in 5 weeks. I'm not overly bothered but I would like to get in shape if nothing else.
    Will hopefully continue with 200's or 400's midweek. How are the rest of ye going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Itziger wrote: »
    This week's excuse: The Drink. Beer, wine, whiskey the night before with a visiting Scottish lad. Not pissed out of my brain but enough for a fella my age to notice it the morning after.
    This week's session: 6x1 mile (finally!!, 5 weeks from goal 10k)
    So, with excuse safely stashed I head out for this number. Given that I only managed 5 of the 6x1k the previous week, I was glad to get it done. I did all 6 and even though the pace went a bit North of target, I was happy overall. First one was 5.53 mile and the last was 6.04. You get the picture. 
    On balance then, even though there's a good bit to do I think I can get near to pb shape in 5 weeks. I'm not overly bothered but I would like to get in shape if nothing else.
    Will hopefully continue with 200's or 400's midweek. How are the rest of ye going?

That's a great session to get done. I think your pb is in the 36s.

Though I think from reading a previous post of yours speed isn't an issue for you. Your half is 1.19? But you haven't gone sub 3?

All said though you look bang in form for a good race.

Re myself my problem is getting enough sleep with young kids. I am getting enough runs in but am always tired for interval type stuff. When I do them my immune system gets hit and the following day I am down with a sneeze or runny nose.

I did get in an 800m x10 session at about 5.55 pace a couple of weeks back but no intervals or hill sprints since. I am getting anything from 5 to 7 hours of broken sleep with a couple of feeds during the night so a bit frustrating at the moment.

I'm still getting good mileage in so hoping that once the sleep improves a month of good work will have me in shape.

Edit 800m x5. Knew it couldn't be that good.

• Advertisement

I thought 800x10 was some session alright!! Tiger, hang in there, you'd be surprised how fast the years go with smallies. I have 4 kids but the youngest now is 9. I was a fat lazy bastid for most of the kids' younger years so lack of sleep didn't affect training. There wasn't any training! 
    As for PBs. I do have a Half of 1.19 but it's not a reflection of my ability - it was a lovely downhill route nearly the whole way. I count 1.22 as my best Half time, genuinely. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if I can dip under the 36.48 pb in March for 10k but sure if you don't have something to aim for it gets boring.

Midweek effort to get some speed in the legs: 14x200 all in 40 secs. with about 140 jog rec. 5.5 k cool down run home. Felt a bit woozy again even if I'd had a recovery Latte Machiato drink. I know.
    Unlike last week though there was no bus to bring me up the drag home. I walked for a bit and then felt better and jogged the last 1.5k. I feel there's a bit of form coming. These 2 speedier sessions a week are bringing me on as you'd expect. Don't know if the old body would stand much more than 6 weeks of it though.

Saturday again. Less beer, wine and whiskey than last Friday and a beauty of a day. Went to a track. Delusional thinking still operating so I thought I might try 5x2k.
    Hehe. That didn't last too long! Did 2x2k and 3x1.5 The 2ks were supposed to be in 7.20 and they went well enough time wise but the effort was costing me a lot .  Second one I forgot or failed to press stop button and let it go on for about 5 secs too long (just in case there are any Strava warriors reading this!!) Anyway, then turned to 1,500 cos a) I was shagged and b) the 1,500 metre line is marked on the track. Was also working hard on these to keep the pace in and around 3.40km. 
    So, the conclusion is the same as last few weeks. Work, plenty of it, to be done but all hope is not lost. 4 weeks to target 10k.

Well, it would be cowardly to stop updating now. This is proving tough this year, tougher than other years I think. Today I had a go at the 1x2mile+4x1mile workout. Did the two miler in just under 12 minutes. The single miles were headwind/tailwind and went as follows: 5.56, 6.07, 6.01 and 6.12. While 2 and 4 there were into a stiff breeze they are still a bit slow, not to mention number 3 which was with the wind. Funny thing about that 3rd one was it did feel easier and I think I relaxed a bit too much in the middle. Anyway, that is where we are. PB seems unlikely, in fact if I were a horse they probably wouldn't send me to Cheltenham. "Lookit, he's training away, just not lighting up the gallops. We'll have him scoped, but right now I wouldn't be looking at Cheltenham."

• Advertisement

They're solid times for a sub 40 target. Not much off mine and I'm aiming for about 37!I don't really understand your first question Corkladd but I see you say there's a second 10k 4 weeks after your target. that's a big gap for 10ks. I have done well running two of 'em with only a week in between the last few years. I have that option again this year but I think I'll give it a miss as I want to move on to Marathon training asap.

Well, not long to go now so not many key workouts. I've gone to one session a week cos I want to up the Sunday mileage (last Sunday was 26k, might look to do 28 this weekend.) Might chuck in a few 400's next week some day as well as the infamous 3x2miler.

Today was 2x2 miles + 2x1.

Did it on a track. First 2 miler came in at 11.53. A bit off target but ok. Breeze in the home straight was a bummer and as the track is only 333mt on the inside lane I had 10 home straights..... On the second I was dying and I promised the body that I'd bail at 3km. Not one to break promises me. 3k in a disappointing 11.20

The single miles did feel a bit easier fortunately. Came in at 5.48 (might have been 10 metres short) and 5.56 for second where I did start further back. Conclusion like previous weeks. All is not lost but I'm not exactly flying. Ah, well. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

going to pick up this plan but interested to hear what kind of goals people set themselves.

My current 10k pb stands at 43.59 in the run in the dark last year. I've just come off a marathon in Feb and I wanted to pick up the greg mcmillan plan. I was thinking maybe 42 minutes, but really dont have any idea of what I should aim for?

Is 2 minutes off 44 minutes about right?

going to pick up this plan but interested to hear what kind of goals people set themselves.

My current 10k pb stands at 43.59 in the run in the dark last year. I've just come off a marathon in Feb and I wanted to pick up the greg mcmillan plan. I was thinking maybe 42 minutes, but really dont have any idea of what I should aim for?

Is 2 minutes off 44 minutes about right?

It' kinda hard to answer without knowing more detail but I'd say that's a fair aim. I have never run that Dark race but I've heard it can be very crowded and messy but also maybe short, no?

But more importantly than the pb I'd say try a session or two and that will tell you soon enough. If the first km or mile of the first rep is way too hard then you might want to rethink the target. If the pace feels stupid easy, then you go the other direction. Good luck with it.

It' kinda hard to answer without knowing more detail but I'd say that's a fair aim. I have never run that Dark race but I've heard it can be very crowded and messy but also maybe short, no?

But more importantly than the pb I'd say try a session or two and that will tell you soon enough. If the first km or mile of the first rep is way too hard then you might want to rethink the target. If the pace feels stupid easy, then you go the other direction. Good luck with it.

Well, I went out today and gave it a go:
    Did 6 x 1 mile, with 4 minute recovery, splits were between 6.32 & 6.45. It was pretty tough, but actually felt OK at the end. I'll continue working on the plan on a weekly basis. Will probably run 3/4 times a week with the one session that he prescribes. Target a 10k in early May.

Johnny, 4 mins is a lot of recovery for the single miles. I did 2. One day last year I was back in the homeland and I went up the Mardyke and did 6x1 with 60 sec recovery. It was the session a fella was doing. I wouldn't (couldn't) have done it on my own. A killer session.

One thing I will say in your favour. When I do the plan I have to build up to that workout. I often start with 6x1k or 4x1mile. Maybe even 6x800. You have plenty of time anyway.

Johnny, 4 mins is a lot of recovery for the single miles. I did 2. One day last year I was back in the homeland and I went up the Mardyke and did 6x1 with 60 sec recovery. It was the session a fella was doing. I wouldn't (couldn't) have done it on my own. A killer session.

One thing I will say in your favour. When I do the plan I have to build up to that workout. I often start with 6x1k or 4x1mile. Maybe even 6x800. You have plenty of time anyway.

You're killing me here! I just followed the OP advice. It said 3 minutes recovery and then somebody said it was changed to 5. So I said I'd do 4. And it was mostly walk/run recovery too. Must say, that after alot of endurance running recently, its good to run fast again.

You're killing me here! I just followed the OP advice. It said 3 minutes recovery and then somebody said it was changed to 5. So I said I'd do 4. And it was mostly walk/run recovery too. Must say, that after alot of endurance running recently, its good to run fast again.

There's some confusion about the rec time, you're right. I think the long recovery refers to the 2 mile reps though.

It is good to do some faster stuff yeah. When I'm hurting during a workout like that, I say to myself, Christ haven't ya done enough boring slow runs to last ya a lifetime. One (or two) faster sessions a week is something to break up the monotony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Guys, whats the best advice for training during the last 10 days before a race?
    Last session was 6x1.5k at 10k pace yesterday evening.

Not sure how much I should do or how far I should push before Friday 17th..

onrail wrote: »
    Guys, whats the best advice for training during the last 10 days before a race?
    Last session was 6x1.5k at 10k pace yesterday evening.

Not sure how much I should do or how far I should push before Friday 17th..

Last BIG session you mean!

Most people do say that's about right for a last big 'un, but I feel 10 days is a long way away for a 10k. I'd do a few 400's or 800's this weekend or Monday maybe even 200's, heck something short and sharp in any case. Don't kill yourself with it but a mini session 5 days before the race seems good. Half a dozen 400's or 10 200's.

For me this weekend I'll cut back on the long run, which had got up to 28k admittedly. I'll probably do the 3x2miler on Saturday, 8 days out and then a few 200/400's on Wednesday maybe. My race is Sun 19th.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last BIG session you mean!

Most people do say that's about right for a last big 'un, but I feel 10 days is a long way away for a 10k. I'd do a few 400's or 800's this weekend or Monday maybe even 200's, heck something short and sharp in any case. Don't kill yourself with it but a mini session 5 days before the race seems good. Half a dozen 400's or 10 200's.

For me this weekend I'll cut back on the long run, which had got up to 28k admittedly. I'll probably do the 3x2miler on Saturday, 8 days out and then a few 200/400's on Wednesday maybe. My race is Sun 19th.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Excellent - cheers,

Would a full-belt Parkrun this Saturday be a help or a hindrance in your opinion?

onrail wrote: »
    Excellent - cheers,

Would a full-belt Parkrun this Saturday be a help or a hindrance in your opinion?

Help. 6 days before the target 10k, right. Sounds like a perfect tune up to me. Maybe I should point out though that I am not and never have been a coach!!

Sometimes it sounds like I know what I'm talking about.

I'm seriously thinking of bailing out of the 3x2 session and doing a 10k race instead. Sorry for the thread scientists!

I'll look to do a strong second half, although it is the tougher part of the race.

So, I did ditch the last workout in exchange for an actual race. Even though I didn't pb, or beat previous course pb either, I was happy with the decision. Got a 37:32 where last year I managed 37:17 before a 36:48 the following week.

This year I'm registered for the same race, next Sunday, but I'm wondering if I should forget about it and start getting serious on marathon training instead. Not that long till Cork!

Or knock the confidence!

Did an 18:35 parkrun yesterday - not leaving me overly confident of breaking 39 for the 10k next week!

• Advertisement

Ran a very disappointing 39:32 after. Wind and rain didn't help - and possibly had me resigned to a slowish time before I started.

There's another race coming up in a couple of weeks; so might give that one a proper go!

Advertisement