Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say hello to the the newest member of BEVOC

• 01-03-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BEVOC is the Boards EV Owners Community:D
    I am the newest member.!
    Took delivery of the 171 Leaf today: SV 30kWh/6.6kW/Cold Pack/Metallic/Granny Cable/ boot liner/ scrappage.

The first thing that needs saying is to acknowledge all the help/ideas/suggestions etc that were provided this past few weeks by the guys and gals here.:)

Had a browse through a few posts here and it is interesting to see ideas that would, perhaps in normal times, support a dose of consumer dissonance.

AKA as 'buyer's remorse,' a feeling of guilt associated with doubts about the advisability of a purchase decision that one experiences after making an expensive purchase.

Not so in my case

Nothing much to report on day 1, its a dream to drive, put 100 km up on it just messing around and I have had three stops at three different charge points just to make sure the card I got was working.
    All is well on that front.
    Have an 05:30 start tomorrow so signing off for now.
    ps the OBDLink arrived as well today so will hook that up.

Screen shot of the dash just as I left garage attached

Update: 2/2/17

Left the house at 05:30 this am as normal for my gym session, came back, young lad said when he got up: "Paw: you not go to gym today?".... the sound of silence, just like Red October.:)

Paid insurance: €338 fully comp with no loss of NCB for two claims over 3 years vs €478 turd party on a 20 year old
    Paid road tax €120 vs €710
    No NCT for 4 years, it was usually two visits so c€80/pa on the last two cars
    Sure its nearly self financed at this stage lads & lassies :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Excellent choice!

Wishing you many happy miles with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best of luck with it, happy motoring.

Keep us potential owners updated with your thoughts on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear!

If you don't mind me asking (and it could help others), how much did it set you back all-in on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Congratulations!

Would be interested to know why you chose the Leaf over the Ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear!

If you don't mind me asking (and it could help others), how much did it set you back all-in on the road?

As you know I did a deal with Nissan over the Airside 24 hr test drive debacle The pre-deal invoice price was €26,290
    This is list less €4,000 scrappage plus the add-ons:
    metallic, cold pack, granny cable, 6.6 kw on board charger, boot liner.

I know its a lot of shekels, when you look at what the others are doing here 2nd hand from the UK etc ( you could buy two for that price! ) and then the guys here load up with the comments like " Leaf is the fastest depreciating car EVER" :D.... or will be once the new XXXkWh YYY comes out.:D

However, I am 1000% happy with the whole transaction and the plan is to drive it until either I or it cast off our mortal coils and venture forth into Valhalla, where I am assured there is free charging.
    As is evident from the blog in my profile, I nearly did cast them off in 2016 so my perspective is perhaps somewhat different to most of the young turks here.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, happy motoring.

Keep us potential owners updated with your thoughts on this forum.

Thanks, the first insight anyway is that tethered home charging is the only way: the python that is the public cable in the car boot is a "beast" once out of the nice bag!!!
    This is also based on two trips to the Rapid DC chargers yesterday, just plug and go!
    Soarer wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Would be interested to know why you chose the Leaf over the Ioniq?

Simples: more head room and a higher drivers seat position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Best of luck Honda.
    So envious of seeing 200odd in range!

I'm on board Mr. O' Leary's tin can about to take off to Scotland.

Kceire out.
    Update later.

The 30kW battery cuts off so much of the range anxiety. Which is so important for a new EV driver. Even for the experienced EV drivers who know how to plan trips very well and know where and what time would be spend on a CP.

Would you have any pics?

If you are not planning to change car for good - tethered is so much handier than the socket CP. I am now getting a 32Ð socket type but will have the short cable plugged in full time and getting a 10m cable for street charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

peposhi wrote: »
    The 30kW battery cuts off so much of the range anxiety. Which is so important for a new EV driver. Even for the experienced EV drivers who know how to plan trips very well and know where and what time would be spend on a CP.

Would you have any pics?

I figured if I need extra range inside of a year, I could probably sell whatever Leaf I end up buying for near enough the same money as I am buying for. I doubt it will be an issue for most 24kw drivers, who......like me, will only be doing small miles.

@Honda: Super news and congrats on the shiny new car.

@Kceire: Keep notes on your journey home. The good, the bad & the ugly. Will make for some teatime reading later I hope.

As you know I did a deal with Nissan over the Airside 24 hr test drive debacle The pre-deal invoice price was €26,290
    This is list less €4,000 scrappage plus the add-ons:
    metallic, cold pack, granny cable, 6.6 kw on board charger.

So all-in after your deal was €24k? €25k?

If you're hanging on to the car for a long time, depreciation is really not that important (compared to someone keeping their car for 2 or 3 years), so don't worry about first year depreciation as it's irrelevant to you. And there is something to say for buying brand new. For me it's a one off, never before and probably never again will I buy new. Best of luck with your car :)

• Advertisement

So all-in after your deal was €24k? €25k?

If you're hanging on to the car for a long time, depreciation is really not that important (compared to someone keeping their car for 2 or 3 years), so don't worry about first year depreciation as it's irrelevant to you. And there is something to say for buying brand new. For me it's a one off, never before and probably never again will I buy new. Best of luck with your car :)

Yes re the numbers, fully charged:D.

I must say that Nissan Head Office and Barry in Windsor Motors in Belgard did more than I asked for once Head Office was aware of the issues in Airside.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For me it's a one off, never before and probably never again will I buy new. Best of luck with your car :)

Sure, we will see once the Model 3 lands in Ireland :p

I will need to start playing the lotto :p

Or at least get rid of some of these ankle biters :p

Look at home in the driveway, was testing the rear camera.

410884.jpg

410885.jpg

Nice one, best of luck ! :D

Looks gre5.
    I'm still trying to get used to the rear camera, what the lines mean, where I'll end up!
    I had parking sensors for years, and now, throw in some fancy tech and it's as if I've never reversed parked in my life.

Really nice colour!

kceire wrote: »
    Looks gre5.
    I'm still trying to get used to the rear camera, what the lines mean, where I'll end up!
    I had parking sensors for years, and now, throw in some fancy tech and it's as if I've never reversed parked in my life.

The first red line, as you reverse, indicates that the rere of car is about 70 cm and the last one is c 40 cm from the wall.
    I put a stack of cardboard boxes behind and pushed them back!

The first red line, as you reverse, indicates that the rere of car is about 70 cm and the last one is c 40 cm from the wall.
    I put a stack of cardboard boxes behind and pushed them back!

Yeah I spent some time on you tube last night :)

11 foot
    7 foot
    3 foot
    1.5 foot

Just have to get used to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Same colour as mine which arrived yesterday, you've got great taste :P

No driving today..
    It is set up to charge from 23:00 tonight using the onboard timers, it only needs 5% but want to make sure I have it set up right.
    Climate control set to have it warmed up at 06:00, again using onboard timers.
    Got Leaf Spy Pro to work with the OBDLink LX, this dongle still not working with its own app or from laptop.

Management tasks for next week:
    Get spare wheel: will go for space saver rather than the full size wheel.
    Get puncture fixed.
    Get Nissan Connect EV working.
    Plan 265 km [to Kiltealy Co Carlow] return trip for Friday on M9
    RCP's in Naas and Carlow out of service so may have to try the Nissan garage in Kilkenny and then eco-drive on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No driving today..
    It is set up to charge from 23:00 tonight using the onboard timers, it only needs 5% but want to make sure I have it set up right.

I prefer to set "time to leave" rather than a start time. The car then figures out when to start the charge which means the car is at 100% for the minimum amount of time and I'd imagine the battery would be a little warmer as well so more efficient when you start.

Once a week I have a start time set to ensure it completes a full cell balancing.

KCross wrote: »
    I prefer to set "time to leave" rather than a start time. The car then figures out when to start the charge which means the car is at 100% for the minimum amount of time and I'd imagine the battery would be a little warmer as well so more efficient when you start.

Once a week I have a start time set to ensure it completes a full cell balancing.

Will go out and reprogram it !
    [so you use the estimated time to set the timer?]

I also have my sub-meter connected up so I can track the power consumed each night: I already had the rig, just had to reposition the Current transformer into my new sub distribution bis which is ready for the ESB MCBo and the my 32A one once I get the charger

KCross wrote:

I have set the timer to charge from 23.00 to 18.00. Why? Normally I do not charge during the day so the car is not plugged. Once I get back home, and know the car needs to be charged for the next day, I plug in after 18.00h. With no end timer in the morning there is plenty of time for the cells to balance out. If I need a charge after 18.00, I just disable the timer temporary via the designated button

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Question, must the car be plugged in for the timer climate control to activate?

Will go out and reprogram it !
    [so you use the estimated time to set the timer?]

Set end time to the time you need to leave or to the end of night rate electricity

Leave start time blank and then the car figures out when to start the charge itself.

slave1 wrote: »
    Question, must the car be plugged in for the timer climate control to activate?

I don't think so.
    Press the Blue zero emissions button on the console and then climax control and you will see the priority levels for battery charge level vs Climate control which are designed to stop battery depletion at the expense of climate, no point in having a warm flat car!
    KCross wrote: »
    Set end time to the time you need to leave or to the end of night rate electricity

Leave start time blank and then the car figures out when to start the charge itself.
    Did that : looked at 05:30 now and still frost on car, require it to be 20 Deg C at 06:00....:D
    Its fully charged, it said 2hrs estimated so I gave it 2.5.

Okay: car was de-iced and warm at 06:00, along with heated steering wheel:D
    Wish it was as easy to de-ICE the charging stations.

Found a free charging spot this morning and learned that onboard charging timer has to be off ( like an alarm clock setting) before it will charge.
    The clue is the 3 blue charging lights blinking in sequence.

I don't think so.
    Press the Blue zero emissions button on the console and then climax control and you will see the priority levels for battery charge level vs Climate control which are designed to stop battery depletion at the expense of climate, no point in having a warm flat car!

I never tried climax control... that must be an undocumented feature! :D
    Did that : looked at 05:30 now and still frost on car, require it to be 20 Deg C at 06:00....:D
    Its fully charged, it said 2hrs estimated so I gave it 2.5.

What do you mean by "I gave it 2.5". If you leave the start time blank the car figures it out itself. Also bear in mind the estimated time it gives includes cell balancing. The car will be at close to 100% long before that. I think once or twice a week is plenty to let it do the cell balancing.

Okay: car was de-iced and warm at 06:00, along with heated steering wheel:D
    Wish it was as easy to de-ICE the charging stations.

I find it usually comes on about 30mins before my departure time depending on outside temp of course.

FYI... It will heat your seat as well if you remember to leave the switch in the on position when you got out.

• Advertisement

Okay need to recheck my recharge timing settings: It said it needed two hours and I wanted it cooked at 06:00 so I went back 2.5 hours and started it at 03:30.

The x above is wishful thinking on my part post the surgery!

Got the Leaf spy pro working on route to gym, heat pump was drawing 2.7kW while it chased 25 C at fan setting of 7

Advertisement