Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well, my anticipation has dropped for this. Bad move imo.

I'm still very hopeful that they make a great game, and i know combat was never Planescape's strong point, but i just prefer the original style. Real time with pause (probably shouldn't be called real time, but whatever) is just a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kiith wrote: »
    Well, my anticipation has dropped for this. Bad move imo.
    Honestly, yeah, I did have a kinda aw reaction to it. It's nothing against turn based. I have games I really really love that are turn based, but I don't know, was thinking this would be better not going in that direction. Feck it, I'll post more from the update. It goes over stuff that he sees people saying, and his thoughts on it all. Before I do that, though, I'm not really thinking it'll be a bad game now by any means. I just had an expectation that isn't being met by reality. That's all.
    Comment #1: Turn-Based combat can be tedious

If one were to take Planescape: Torment and, changing nothing else, switch to TB combat, the result would be miserable for many. You'd be stopped midstride in every Hive back alley to perform the same boring actions on meaningless thugs and zombies.

This isn’t what we’re going to do.

Turn-based combat certainly can be tedious, but that comes down to encounter design. As we stated during the Kickstarter, Torment will have no trash mobs—those hordes of filler battles that require little thought from the player. That type of gameplay is at odds with our emphasis on the story and character development, so each Crisis in Torment will be hand-crafted. It will have narrative relevance and consequences. We'll iterate on them until each one is a quality encounter and provides the experience we seek for that moment in the game.

If any combat situation in Torment were tedious, it wouldn’t be because it's turn-based. It would be because we failed in our goal. And our Crises aren’t just combat. They contain exploration, dialogue, and time-relevant actions and events that can exist outside of combat, like pursuits, environmental puzzles, and application of special skills. You’re going to have to work throughout the game toward your goals, and the Crisis concept is a primary way that we put your intentions to the test.

We understand the importance to you of combat not being tedious. Emphasis on encounter design is important for any CRPG, but for Torment, the bar will be even higher – we believe that through well designed encounters, and extensive gameplay iteration on them, we’ll be able to address the majority of the concerns expressed by those who favored RTwP.

Comment #2: Turn-Based combat can break immersion

"Immersion" is a tricky term that can mean a lot of things, but generally this comment is referring to the jarring sense a player gets when they're walking through a town and suddenly the whole world stops because, say, a feral dog saw them coming down the street.

Again, this isn't what we're going to do. In general, we don’t plan to “surprise” you with a Crisis. Through the design of the areas and the pacing of the game, you’ll know when and where combat is a possibility. The situation will feel tense and in some cases, you will be explicitly initiating the Crisis. This doesn’t mean we won’t ever ambush you, of course, but if we do, it will be very deliberate and not an arbitrary event.

We get that you don’t want to be pulled out of the game in this way and we’ll look for ways to keep you in control and prevent Crises from disrupting the normal flow of the game.

That said, Torment isn’t an action game. Real time doesn’t pass in conversations, for example – you have as much time as you want to decide your choice. And while exploration occurs in real-time, it won’t include twitch elements. All of your decision-making throughout the game will consistently be free from real-time considerations. Torment is a game about thinking and deliberation and will not have any actual time pressure, so turn-based combat will maintain a more consistent feel.

Comment #2a: Turn-Based combat isn’t realistic

A variation of the concern about immersion is that TB gameplay isn’t realistic. In a real battle, you don’t patiently observe while your opponents orderly take turns one at a time.

This is true, but the lack of realism is inherent in most videogame combat and gameplay (again, turn-based conversations come to mind), and RTwP combat isn’t immune to this issue. What we strive for isn’t realism, but creating an immersive experience that allows you to suspend your disbelief. In other words, realism is not at the core of Torment’s party-based combat.

That said, we will strive to make the combats as dynamic and visceral as possible – attacked characters will animate appropriately when struck instead of standing lifelessly, for example, or perhaps having readied actions such as overwatch or interrupts to take actions on the opponent’s turn. We will maintain tension and flow, creating the sense that you are in actual danger and making your tactical and strategic decisions matter.

Comment #3: Controlling the entire party in Turn-Based can be boring

The idea behind this concern is that if only one character in your party is relevant to the combat (e.g., it’s in a narrow passageway or a specific skill/weapon is needed for some aspect of it, etc.) then gameplay gets bogged down. It’s not fun to have to skip most of your characters’ turns, cycling back to the one character who can actually do something.

This problem also comes down to encounter design, and we’ll be paying close attention to this aspect in our specific Crisis designs. Strong support of ranged combat will help, as melee-focused battles can exacerbate this problem. The Numenera rules also help here because skills, while beneficial, generally aren’t required to accomplish specific tasks, and Effort can be expended to give any character a better chance of success at tasks outside their character build. Adam discussed how this works in Update 21 (in the context of dialogue, though it applies to Crisis gameplay as well), but we’ll copy it here again so you don’t have to search for it.

Using skills will be different, too (side note: I say "will," but we're still in pre-production, so any of this can change). Say there's a difficult task you want to attempt—lying to a prison guard or deciphering the text on an ancient puzzle box. Typically, in D&D-style RPGs for example, if you don't have the associated skill, your chances of success are very low, or you might not be able to attempt the task at all. In Numenera, all such tasks are treated the same, and anyone can try them. Training in a related skill or skills will lower the difficulty of the task, but even if you're untrained, you can still apply Effort.

Effort is a concept from the Numenera tabletop game. Essentially you spend points out of the appropriate stat pool (Might, Speed, or Intellect) to lower the difficulty of a task. The idea is, even if you've never been trained in lock picking, a very smart or dexterous character can, with some Effort, increase their chances of cracking a lock.

Your stat pools are renewable with rest. And of course, all of this is balanced. If you're trying to crack a combination lock created by a culture that died out millions of years ago, which requires a combination of smells rather than integers, well . . . you'd have to have a high-level character specialized in the task, who spent all the Intellect they had on Effort, just to make the task possible. That character would still have to roll ridiculously well.

Effort provides more options to customize your character and tackle obstacles. If there's a task you want to attempt—even if it's something normally contrary to your character build—you still have a chance of succeeding if you can use enough Effort. On the other hand, someone who has trained or specialized in that sort of task will have a greater chance of success, and will maintain that edge in similar tasks throughout the game.

Note also that party members can “assist” others in particular skill-based tasks, boosting their chances for success.

In short, we’re fully aware that cycling can be a painful way to play, and that this aspect of gameplay is important to you, and we’ll design the Crises to keep your entire party engaged.

Comment #4: You should implement both RTwP and TB and make it a gameplay option

This solution may sound ideal, but it wouldn’t give anybody what they really want. Area and encounter design needs of the two systems are very different. Designing for both would dilute the quality of the encounters for one or both systems, and most likely require so much time and resources as to impact the rest of the game. In a deep RPG like ours, where combat isn't even the focus, trying to implement two combat systems would lead to an inferior game across the board.

Comment #5: Planescape: Torment had Real-Time with Pause combat, so the new Torment should too

This is a reasonable perspective and valid point of view. Shouldn't we stick with what made the original great?

But is RTwP combat what made Planescape: Torment great? For some of you, the combat may have been an important part of your PST experience, and we hope that you’ll find the combat in Torment: Tides of Numenera to be at least equally enjoyable. But we don't think PST’s combat system was what most players loved about the game.

We believe PST is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all-time, not because its combat was Real-Time w/ Pause, but because of its emphasis on the narrative and on role-playing your character. We explained this in the four pillars we described in the Kickstarter, which are the foundation for Torment: Tides of Numenera:

1. A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story
    2. A World Unlike Any Other
    3. A Rich, Personal Narrative
    4. Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences

We’re using all four pillars to influence and reinforce our Crisis and combat design. Throughout the campaign, we stressed that we would find an approach for combat that worked well with these pillars. With the approach we have planned – including turn-based combat – we hope to integrate more narrative and more choice and consequence into the combat experience.

Though Planescape: Torment is the starting point for many of our design decisions, Torment: Tides of Numenera was never intended to be a game that, by default, duplicates everything PST did. It is a thematic successor that is inspired by PST, not derivative of it. The themes we are succeeding are the things that made Planescape: Torment a classic – the four pillars and other elements as described in our vision document – and we don’t see the specific combat system as core to PST’s legacy. We have several of the people from the PST team involved in the project and we hope that you continue to trust that we will deliver the type of CRPG experience you crave.

"The Planescape: Torment experience was never defined by its combat. In Torment: Tides of Numenera, the combat is intended to complement both the narrative systems and the basic gameplay mechanics. It is a challenging decision for the team to make, and I respect and support their decision to choose turn-based."

-- Chris Avellone, Lead Designer of Planescape: Torment; Creative Director at Obsidian Entertainment

Comment #5a: Why all this focus on combat? Planescape: Torment wasn't even about that

This is kind of the opposite sentiment as the previous comment, or rather it's the other side of the same coin. Rest assured that combat is not, and never has been, our primary focus, as you can see in the four pillars above. Torment is very much about the story, the characters, the conversations, and the world, and we are focusing most of our efforts in those areas – it wasn't until six months after the Kickstarter that we even started talking seriously about combat in our updates.

If it feels like we are suddenly focused on combat, it's only because our recent updates have had that focus. In a month or two we'll talk about something else—art creation or story design or exploration gameplay or something—and then it'll feel like we're 100% focused on that.

Moving Forward with You

We're excited about what we have planned, and as you see more of what we’re doing, we think you’ll be excited, too. We’ll be talking about other aspects of the design in the near term, but we’ll certainly be talking more about Crises and combat down the road. We hope that you’ll continue to trust our judgment and dedication to the project and to you. Remember that you’ll have future opportunities to influence the game’s development, including aspects of its combat. We’ll be seeking your feedback in the future and you’ll be able to weigh in on details later to help us hone the experience.

We're grateful that we can solicit your feedback and your input throughout this process. This style of development would never have been possible even five years ago, let alone fifteen. It's encouraging to see your interest and passion in what we're doing. We learn a lot from your comments and posts on these topics, and we come that much closer to creating something great.

We will not take for granted the trust that you placed in us this past spring. We are making this game for you, our backers. When you play Torment, we want you to feel you trusted us wisely. We’re not looking for mass market success – our only metric is your satisfaction, and we are working hard toward that goal every day. Thanks for your support and understanding,

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

So this is finally coming out at the end of the month. I have managed to stay away from the early access but really looking forward to getting stuck into it now.

Same here. I've read that it has some fantastic writing, so i'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Looking forward to it too but completely forgot about that stupid vote where they picked stupid turn-based. Real time with pause is so much better IMO. Any isometric RPG that I've played that had turn-based just gets so bogged down. (I'm looking at YOU Divinity: Original Sim). "Oh great, combat triggered, everything paused... for a goblin.".
    I find combat becomes something laborious that slows down momentum.

But since PS:T is probably my favorite game of all time, I'll no doubt pick this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Wow, hard to believe it's been four years since this all started.

Really cannot wait until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

quarryman wrote: »
    Looking forward to it too but completely forgot about that stupid vote where they picked stupid turn-based. Real time with pause is so much better IMO. Any isometric RPG that I've played that had turn-based just gets so bogged down. (I'm looking at YOU Divinity: Original Sim). "Oh great, combat triggered, everything paused... for a goblin.".
    I find combat becomes something laborious that slows down momentum.

But since PS:T is probably my favorite game of all time, I'll no doubt pick this up.

There will likely be less encounters but more story and meaning behind them. So very few pause for a goblin type of situations. I personally prefer turn based because I tend to pause way too much with the other style :P Also the encounters are doable with turn-based sneakery or negotiation :D

From their webpage: "One of our goals from the beginning has been to avoid dungeon crawls and so-called trash mobs. Torment will only have a dozen or so Crises, which means we are handcrafting each one to be unique, reactive, and exciting. Whether you choose to fight or not, you will find interesting decisions awaiting you at every turn"

New trailer, nothing in-game, just some backstory.

Kind of cool intro. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

New trailer, nothing in-game, just some backstory.

You know, for a game that's all about story telling the writing in that trailer is pretty awful. I like the set up, it's a clever setting and is nicely reminiscent of PST, but the actually delivery is really bad.

This and the comments on Steam about how underdone the beta was even up to very recently has my expectations set fairly low.

• Advertisement

Anybody played or read much about the early access? It seems like the first chapter of the game. I might get it if its considered complete

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How is the turned based combat?

Zillah wrote: »
    You know, for a game that's all about story telling the writing in that trailer is pretty awful. I like the set up, it's a clever setting and is nicely reminiscent of PST, but the actually delivery is really bad.

This and the comments on Steam about how underdone the beta was even up to very recently has my expectations set fairly low.

Yeah, the novellas released along side this don't exactly inspire confidence either.

Anyway, it's out tomorrow so we can all find out for certain then.

Anyway, it's out tomorrow so we can all find out for certain then.

Jesus, been waiting on this for years, and i didn't even realise it was out tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

23 on cdkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

23 on cdkeys.

Wooooo. But gonna hold off on the buy until initial reviews.

Wooooo. But gonna hold off on the buy until initial reviews.

I've literally just decided the opposite. Jump in and form my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

you're pretty much guaranteed a decent rpg

It's getting some very good reviews. 89 on PcGamer and 8.8 on IGN so far.

Normally I would just check out a few videos and see if it was to my liking, but the only video I have seen yet was the launch story trailer. Plus I never played any other Torment game or any game from the developer....that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

il probably get it regardless of reviews i just like supporting these guys because i love these games, that said in podcasts i listen to people have been not to ... happy with the games content apparently its a bit sparse ?

Home from work to see it has a metacritic score of 84 with 31 reviews! 23 Euro on CDkeys, cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kind of disappointed that my backer bonus can't be used for a console version now that one has been announced!

They weren't lying when they said it was dialogue heavy, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Kiith wrote: »
    They weren't lying when they said it was dialogue heavy, that's for sure.

So was Torment though. Then again I played it day it came out in Dec 1999, so 17+ years of memory may be bad..... Get the hell off my lawn :P

I think that's the fastest I've ever died in a game, although I don't know what I was expecting with the options I chose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Never played the original, know f**k all about the setting but looking at gameplay on youtube that dialogue menu taking up the bottom third of the screen is an awful design choice.

Spent pretty much all day playing it, and i love it. Really interesting world and story, and i've only had i think 3 fights so far. Love the writing so far, and the side quests seem well done. Definitely keeping me interested anyway. It's text heavy, but when its good text, that's absolutely fine.

Bambi wrote: »
    Never played the original, know f**k all about the setting but looking at gameplay on youtube that dialogue menu taking up the bottom third of the screen is an awful design choice.

Why? During conversation that dialogue menu is pretty much the only section of the screen that im looking at other than the odd glance at the characters and the enviroment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so am i missing something or is their no character creator ?

Advertisement