Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy moly, Fergal, there's never a dull moment with you, is there? :eek:

Best wishes for a full recovery, look after yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Shocked and surprised with this news. Happy to hear you are in good hands and doing well. Take advantage of the rest, the boat and the Shannon will always be there. Get well soon though and take care. maybe you might consider naming the boat "Lazarus".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Out of the danger room now and things are looking up. Just so people know this was quite a big heart attack that I just put down to a bad glass of red wine giving me some heartburn so I just went around the house looking for rennes and drinking a load of milk, it was by no means the same way you would see a heart attack on the TV I went to bed after checking the comments on the video I had posted then in the morning l drove down to the chemist to get some pain killer's as I still had the heart burn although I never had heartburn before l was sure that this was it till I could feel the pressure moving down my arm, getting a bit worried now and knowing I had to pick my son up from respite a 1 I thought that if I went to A&E I would be there all day and night so lyn booked an ECG at the Swift care place in Swords and I drove up expecting to be told to take two rennies pay your money and go home but instead within a few minutes they had an ambulance on it's way and off to the matter hospital where no sooner had I arrived I was on the table having the cloth removed and the stint put in. It was a close call and I could have easily let it go on a bit more before seeking help sure it's nothing compared to giving your thumb a good belt with a hammer :) So just to let you all know if you feel any pressure or pain in your chest ,arms and neck get it check out sooner rather than later as every minute counts in the damage that can be done. Look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Great to hear from you Fergal.

Its "funny" how we worry about all the "stuff" going on - had to go into hospital, suddenly last year and I was worried about getting the chickens in. :o

Look after yourself Fergal and follow Doctors orders :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Great to hear you're on the mend, look after yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

TV has a lot to answer for, I would have been the same.

Great to hear you survived the storm. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad to hear you are doing better Fergal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yeah, TV isn't much like real life! Still, great to hear that you got into the hospital quick and before long you'll be up to your elbows in wood and fibreglass. Best of luck and get well soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Best wishes for a fast recovery Fergal. I'd probably think it was the wine too (if it came from that wine rack yoke you fitted!) :P ;):):)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not much to show this week :) Storm Doris has taken another victim poor Mr Noodles as he has become know as got hit by a flying bit of plywood, we are still unsure if he is going to make it or not :( but at least the boat had no damage.

20170224_113252_zpsjzb0jltf.jpg

On Friday I was closing in the back section, there's some old panels from a refrigeration unit in the yard and the flooring is the same as the plywood used for trailer floors like I used for the swim platform so I stripper some of it off the damaged ones to use it's already coated in epoxy so should last a few years.

20161216_101629_zpsgqycpt86.jpg

20170224_113359_zpsjbkjuv85.jpg

20170224_113351_zpsvuowpp24.jpg

The box for the genny might be a bit tight to use as a seat so I might add on a fold or pull out piece with a leg to extend the seat.

20170224_113717_zpsg9cyarkx.jpg

• Advertisement

Even in hospital they track me down :D You are probably sick reading about this boat :)

63f12d09-b0ef-46e2-a64f-64c297d50778_zpszzxpkwtd.png

ebfba65c-6b30-4e2a-b02d-7ab880581d48_zpswqitzilk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

fergal.b wrote: »
    Out of the danger room now and things are looking up. Just so people know this was quite a big heart attack that I just put down to a bad glass of red wine giving me some heartburn so I just went around the house looking for rennes and drinking a load of milk, it was by no means the same way you would see a heart attack on the TV I went to bed after checking the comments on the video I had posted then in the morning l drove down to the chemist to get some pain killer's as I still had the heart burn although I never had heartburn before l was sure that this was it till I could feel the pressure moving down my arm, getting a bit worried now and knowing I had to pick my son up from respite a 1 I thought that if I went to A&E I would be there all day and night so lyn booked an ECG at the Swift care place in Swords and I drove up expecting to be told to take two rennies pay your money and go home but instead within a few minutes they had an ambulance on it's way and off to the matter hospital where no sooner had I arrived I was on the table having the cloth removed and the stint put in. It was a close call and I could have easily let it go on a bit more before seeking help sure it's nothing compared to giving your thumb a good belt with a hammer :) So just to let you all know if you feel any pressure or pain in your chest ,arms and neck get it check out sooner rather than later as every minute counts in the damage that can be done. Look after yourself.

A guy near me had the exact same symptoms and didn't go to A and E cos he expected to be there hours before getting seen. He didn't make it unfortunately. Glad you got sorted in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Hi Fergal, I know there is little that you have not thought about with reference to the boat, but seeing that you have the generator compartment on your mind at the moment, I'll tell you what I did with my Honda EU20i generator. I have the generator for the few times I find myself without shore power. It's meant to be the "Silent" generator, but can seem quite noisy if run in the cockpit, or even on the jetty near the boat. Because of my electric outboards, I do not have any petrol on board, so the generator runs off my gas supply - no messy filling from a smelly can. I then decided to make a special compartment for it. I was able to locate it on the bridgedeck over the water (Catamaran). I welded a fitting to the exhaust outlet and directed the exhaust straight down through the floor with a flexible exhaust hose and a through hull fitting.
    Sorted, I thought :( .
    I never realised that the heat around the generator would be so intense. I never really thought about the fact that it was air-cooled and that it needed a very good flow of air. The compartment backs on to the cockpit, so I fitted one of these extractors http://www.ie.screwfix.com/manrose-wf150ap-25w-automatic-axial-pullcord-kitchen-fan.html. It's plugged into one of the sockets on the generator and shifts 220m3 per hr and seems to do the trick. Naturally there has to be a good supply of air into the compartment as well. I still have not used it enclosed for any length of time yet, so we'll have to see :)
    You have most of the heavy work done now, so take it easy for a couple of weeks and get fit again.

JamesM wrote: »
    Hi Fergal, I know there is little that you have not thought about with reference to the boat, but seeing that you have the generator compartment on your mind at the moment, I'll tell you what I did with my Honda EU20i generator. I have the generator for the few times I find myself without shore power. It's meant to be the "Silent" generator, but can seem quite noisy if run in the cockpit, or even on the jetty near the boat. Because of my electric outboards, I do not have any petrol on board, so the generator runs off my gas supply - no messy filling from a smelly can. I then decided to make a special compartment for it. I was able to locate it on the bridgedeck over the water (Catamaran). I welded a fitting to the exhaust outlet and directed the exhaust straight down through the floor with a flexible exhaust hose and a through hull fitting.
    Sorted, I thought :( .
    I never realised that the heat around the generator would be so intense. I never really thought about the fact that it was air-cooled and that it needed a very good flow of air. The compartment backs on to the cockpit, so I fitted one of these extractors http://www.ie.screwfix.com/manrose-wf150ap-25w-automatic-axial-pullcord-kitchen-fan.html. It's plugged into one of the sockets on the generator and shifts 220m3 per hr and seems to do the trick. Naturally there has to be a good supply of air into the compartment as well. I still have not used it enclosed for any length of time yet, so we'll have to see :)
    You have most of the heavy work done now, so take it easy for a couple of weeks and get fit again.

I did think of running the exhaust out through the hull and also use an engine bay blower to keep the air flowing with an in and out vent but for now I think I will just use it for storage and bring it out to the swim platform if it's needed if it turns out that it's too noisy I might go back to building a sound proofish
    box.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Glad to hear your still above ground Fergal :p
    I’m not sure that there’s anything I can do from down south
    If there is let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jaysus, I don't check this thread for a couple of weeks and look what happens!
    Last time, Olds Cool sank!

Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Do you have the generator already?

Jaysus, I don't check this thread for a couple of weeks and look what happens!
    Last time, Olds Cool sank!

Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Do you have the generator already?

Cheers, Yep I have one of the Aldi ones.

20170209_142229_zpsp3rtj2yv.jpg

A bit more filling in on the back section.

20170227_150954_zpsefzjdi5l.jpg

20170227_150938_zpspshj3vwr.jpg

And I started planking out the v berth with white PVC planks.

20170228_123245_zps9lsokhbb.jpg

Still a lot of fiddly bits to do.

20170301_131431_zps9tftxehx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

take it easy fergal we would.nt want you to end up back in hospital . the boat is really looking well i have to say .

Great weather this week so back outside to fill all the joints and put fibreglass cloth along the edges.

20170309_103754_zpsrne4whpq.jpg

Cut out the doors.

20170309_103801_zpst8nmduhh.jpg

20170309_103806_zpswanhkmje.jpg

Fitted the locks and hinges and gave it a coat of garage floor paint.

20170310_133342_zpsjgheqgqa.jpg

20170310_133336_zpsazndyrmd.jpg

There will be a blue mat going down and a bit of timber work to tone it down a bit.

20170309_144308_zpsxzi9k8ps.jpg

• Advertisement

great job . take it easy fergal we want to see the finished boat on the water . enjoy .

Not much going on this week with the day thats in it and trips to the hospital :( Fitted the windlass and all the cleats along with the fender eyelets over 120 holes drilled siliconed bolted and screw I should have brought in my little helper for this to hold the nuts on the inside instead of me climbing in and out trying to get a vice grips on each one.

20170316_140124_zpst2ohvv96.jpg

After my trip to the cardiac rehabilitation centre this is now what my dinner looks like :D Have a great Paddy's day all.

17359478_10206387461483723_8090636251537780924_o_zpskm5a05lu.jpg

fergal i,m going to buy a crock of a boat and pay you to do it up for me . i would save a fortune ... what a job you have done on that sunken wreck fair play to you .

fergal i,m going to buy a crock of a boat and pay you to do it up for me . i would save a fortune ... what a job you have done on that sunken wreck fair play to you .

:D:D:D:D:D

15940905_1034338946699741_5206961191356846442_n_zps3ebcnxuv.jpg

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha sooooooooooo true .

This week I spent some time on the forward cabin, started off by epoxying some fixing points.

20170316_140320_zpsays6fpvj.jpg

20170320_114507_zpscsp9qimo.jpg

20170320_151936_zpsnx8k3nuk.jpg

20170320_160749_zpshxey6zif.jpg

20170322_121233_zpsxttn37jh.jpg

20170322_154330_zpsqzjrgdtn.jpg

20170323_145458_zpsg0rdcfov.jpg

I might put in another piece to use as a table and fill up the space not sure yet I also have a few more storage hatches to cut out.

20170324_145841_zpsuufcz2tv.jpg

great job as always fergal .

This week I fitted this handy bit of kit to the bow thruster I will also be able to use it to work any lifts or hoist.

20170329_101008_zps2gvuvjdu.jpg

20170329_101547_zps5w9imgwn.jpg

Started putting the leatherette on the roof.

20170328_135938_zpstymbm77h.jpg

Arms got tiered doing the roof so I moved onto the kids beds I still have to put carpet on the walls.

20170329_135449_zpswikknnwp.jpg

Having a whale of a time :D

20170330_110603_zpswdpfpuxo.jpg

Still a bit more touching up to do on the waves.

20170331_150343_zpskw6aaaf0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Great Friday evening fix as usual :)

• Advertisement

pure magic .

Advertisement