Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord entered property twice without permission

• 18-02-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice . We are moving out of our property in the coming weeks.

We gave our landlord notice several weeks ago. Last Monday my wife dropped our kids to creche and came back to find the landlord standing in the living room with a measuring tape .he made some small talk asked was everything ok and left .

I flipped a lid when I found out and wanted to ring him but my wife prevented me as he knows our new landlord and we haven't signed the lease yet and we also want to get our deposit back .

Today we were away from the house and he entered again, how I know this time is because we have phone watch and the alarm was set. The sensors picked him up throughout the house and in and around back Garden and upstairs . When I rang him he said he has left a message to say he was coming round on my voice mail .

To say I am seething would be an under statement . I am completely filled with rage over his Antics. Despite the alarm going over he still managed to hoke around our place when we weren't there without permission . Just looking for advice on what others would do, I don't want to over react and lose on new property even tho we've deposited paid etc

Any advice?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

PRTB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

To say I am seething would be an under statement . I am completely filled with rage over his Antics. Despite the alarm going over he still managed to hoke around our place when we weren't there without permission . Just looking for advice on what others would do, I don't want to over react and lose on new property even tho we've deposited paid etc

It is a little bit of an overreaction if you're moving out in a few weeks. I would do nothing except tell the LL that you want proper notice between now and then before they enter the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

JPCN1 wrote: »
    PRTB.

That was my first thought but we're here 5 years and I cannot remember If it registered with PTRB, it went through a letting agent so I presume it had to be ?!

And what would PRTB do when you're moving out?

pilly wrote: »
    It is a little bit of an overreaction if you're moving out in a few weeks. I would do nothing except tell the LL that you want proper notice between now and then before they enter the house.

What's an over reaction ?

• Advertisement

What's an over reaction ?

To be completely filled with rage over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Someone is looking for comp for nothing.

An over reaction in my eyes would be to drive round to his place of residence when he's not there , go in and sit in his living room and wait for him to return and see how he likes it.

He never asked for permission to enter the property on 2 different occasions . Set off the alarm in the process the 2nd time and despite the alarm going off proceeded to walk around the house being picked up on the various cameras around the building .

The first time he was in the property when my wife entered on her own one morning . We let it go that time . I personally think fairly level headed over it

Elemonator wrote: »
    Someone is looking for comp for nothing.

I don't need compensation . Plus Nothing has been taken from the house . I actually was looking for advice to ensure I get my deposit back whilst at same time letting him know I'm not pleased with his actions .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not even my home but I get a little pissed off reading threads like this. I despise the attitude <snip> landlords have that they can saunter in and out of people's homes without notice as they wish. If you rent a place to someone then that place is their home and they have an entitlement to privacy in their home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did you or your wife at any time ask him why he was there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Yes, it's very annoying, OP, but just let it go. You'll have no dealings with this guy after a short, few weeks. Just say you need proper notice from now until you move out and leave it at that.

Stark wrote: »
    It's not even my home but I get a little pissed off reading threads like this. I despise the attitude Irish landlords have that they can saunter in and out of people's homes without notice as they wish. If you rent a place to someone then that place is their home and they have an entitlement to privacy in their home.

Your home is your home. Whether you're renting or have bought . We're saving at moment to buy but we have 2 small girls and need a bigger place . I've been here 5 years , just because I'm moving out in a few weeks doesn't give him the right to come and go as he please. He was upstairs in and around our bedrooms etc. I don't see how anyone would be ok with this unless they were told in advance .

Like he entered on 2 different occassions without permission. Both occasion he would not have been caught only my wife's returned to get something before going to work and second we had alarm set.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Explain to him that you don't want any more visits unless they are agreed to in advance. By saying nothing the first time he may be under the impression that you are OK with any other visits. You can lodge a complaint with the Ptrb even if the tenancy is not registered. Registration is the landlords responsibility not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

An over reaction in my eyes would be to drive round to his place of residence when he's not there , go in and sit in his living room and wait for him to return and see how he likes it.

That's not the same thing though. You'd be breaking and entering into someone else property in comparison to having your landlord entering his own property without giving proper notice. It's not equivalent.

You're right, it isn't an overreaction, it would be beyond that, somewhere in the sphere of either psychiatric breakdown or blatant criminal psychosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That's not the same thing though. You'd be breaking and entering into someone else property in comparison to having your landlord entering his own property without giving proper notice. It's not equivalent.

Both are illegally entering a premesis. They're exactly the same.

You're right, it isn't an overreaction, it would be beyond that, somewhere in the sphere of either psychiatric breakdown or blatant criminal psychosis.

They're both against law and an invasion of someones privacy. It's probably the nearest comparison you'll get .

Have I or tenants no rights or ownership of sorts whilst I or they are in their property?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

McGaggs wrote: »

They're not the same though. One is a breach of contract.

They're not the same though. One is a breach of contract.

That's true. Just one thing a poster said earlier about someone seeking compo for nothing . I don't want compensation .

But this sort of attitude is why Land Lords feel they can saunter in and out of people's homes without ramifications. If more people actually took them to task officially over it maybe then it might cause landlords to act as per their contract and obligations .

I acted and stuck to the terms of the contract, if I didn't I would have my deposit withheld or be evicted. Why if Landlords don't that someone complaining is only because they want "compo"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

This kind of thing is why I bought and didn't rent. Irish landlords are a breed apart and will refuse to respect your right to privacy in a lot of cases. It is disturbing knowing that someone can enter your home any time you are not in it and walk around looking at your stuff, walk into your bedroom etc.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

No comparison. Legally (as in the eyes of criminal law) the op's LL can enter but he is prevented by contract. The op cannot legally enter the LL house and could be arrested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

No comparison. Legally (as in the eyes of criminal law) the op's LL can enter but he is prevented by contract. The op cannot legally enter the LL house and could be arrested.

If the o/p came to the landlords house and found the door open, walked in and sat down he would not be committing any offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Have I or tenants no rights or ownership of sorts whilst I or they are in their property?

You answer your own question there. Why would you have rights of ownership when you dont own it? It is a property you are renting to use. Yet you are on about him breaking laws that anyway in the statute...

The landlord says he attempted to call you about entering the property the second time he did. My suggestion is relax and ask the landlord would he mind informing you the next time he is going to enter the property. Being 'raged' about it is going to get you no where.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You answer your own question there. Why would you have rights of ownership when you dont own it? It is a property you are renting to use. Yet you are on about him breaking laws that anyway in the statute...

The landlord says he attempted to call you about entering the property the second time he did. My suggestion is relax and ask the landlord would he mind informing you the next time he is going to enter the property. Being 'raged' about it is going to get you no where.

I would imagine you are a landlord yourself and would do something like this thinking it's within your rights just because you own the property, notwithstanding the fact that you've let the property out under terms and conditions.

Did you read my text...ownership of sorts was the exact term I used . Whilst I'm renting the property the furniture in here is mine, all my personal property is in here. Money, Bank &a Credit Cards, Laptop, work files (I'm sure my work would be delighted he was in around the place) , Passports, credit card statements, bank statements, credit union books, jewellery....you name it . Just because it's his property I should dismiss him coming in here and suck it up without permission and without me knowing . You can jog the fcuk on.

If anything was missing what would happen then I wonder ....

For the record he did not attempt to call me the first time he was caught inside. He did try to call me 2nd time but didn't get me. Called to house . Knew no one was there, entered anyways set off alarm on despite the alarm going off still proceeded to go around the house for 40 mins I'm told by phone watch .

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If the o/p came to the landlords house and found the door open, walked in and sat down he would not be committing any offence.

Yes he would, trespassing on private property and could be arrested for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes he would, trespassing on private property and could be arrested for it.

Trespassing in and of itself is not a criminal offence.

Only if it is done to cause fear to another person or if it could be inferred that a more serious offence such as burglary was about t be committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Well anyway, even if it doesn't compare to breaking into the landlord's house, it's still completely unacceptable. The OP raises an interesting point too. What if they had never realised that the landlord had let himself in, and something went missing from the house or the landlord gleaned some sensitive information about the tenants? So whilst not the same as trepassing, it is still very, very dodgy. If you know the landlord is coming, you can prepare for his/her arrival and decide to be present during the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Either let LL know you don't want anymore visits unless you are present or i'd consider changing the lock barrels until you move, not a correct move but i'd do it anyway as LL has zero respect for his tenant.

So your initial post was that you didn't want to over react and wanted advice on what others would do?

And despite the majority saying they would have a word with the LL you tell people to jog on?

I feel you just wanted to vent your rage and for others to feed it.

The alarm was going off for 40 minutes and neither of you went home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Either let LL know you don't want anymore visits unless you are present or i'd consider changing the lock barrels until you move, not a correct move but i'd do it anyway as LL has zero respect for his tenant.

That's exactly what I would do. The thought of some uninvited and unannounced bloke wandering around the house while I am out would do my head in. No damage would be done. Two minutes to change a lock barrel and all you need is a Philips screwdriver to do it.

Advertisement