Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The plural is cul de sac is culs de sac
    Arses of the bag ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Everyone knows that computers are based on logic values '1' and '0' and it's one or the other.

VHDL is a programming language and it's "binary" values can be one of these nine, in order of precedence , 'U','X','1','0','Z','W','H','L','-'

'U' = uninitialized - hasn't settled to 1 or 0 , well not yet anyway
    'X' = unknown , could be 1 , could be 0 , but probably the one you don't want
    '1'/'0'= OK I recognise these , what's with the rest ?
    'Z' = floating , high impedance , will be overridden by a 1 or 0
    'W' = weak 'X' - a weak unknown , vaguely 1 ish or maybe 0 ish
    'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'
    '-' = don't care , and by now you probably don't

Sounds a lot like the Shroedinger's cat conundrum... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And it's not used in France. Usually it's "Voie sans issue" or "Impasse".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Everyone knows that computers are based on logic values '1' and '0' and it's one or the other.

VHDL is a programming language and it's "binary" values can be one of these nine, in order of precedence , 'U','X','1','0','Z','W','H','L','-'

'U' = uninitialized - hasn't settled to 1 or 0 , well not yet anyway
    'X' = unknown , could be 1 , could be 0 , but probably the one you don't want
    '1'/'0'= OK I recognise these , what's with the rest ?
    'Z' = floating , high impedance , will be overridden by a 1 or 0
    'W' = weak 'X' - a weak unknown , vaguely 1 ish or maybe 0 ish
    'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'
    '-' = don't care , and by now you probably don't

Ah well now, VHDL is VHSIC Hardware Description Language, the low-level of low-level of microcode. :D

In fairness, you were not both right, technically or otherwise. The USA in on a different continent to the correct origin.

it certainly will be when I BUILD MY WALL!!! it's gonna happen people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

73Cat wrote: »
    Mike the Headless Chicken or Miracle Mike was a chicken that survived for 18 months after having it's head chopped off. He was born in Fruita,Colorado, America in 1945, somehow survived beheading, and was then fed by his owner using a dropper down his neck. He gained fame touring sideshows, but eventually choked on tour. Fruita hosts a Mike the Headless Chicken Day every year so the legacy lives on :)

His legacy lives on? I think you'll find, he himself lives on. I know him, he sits on the board of directors where I work!
    There is a small population of Lions in India.

There's a small population of lions in the phoenix park!:D

Had the kids in the zoo a couple of weeks back and I was amazed by the noise the male lion was making. You could hear it all over the zoo and way out into the park itself. Not your big roar like at the start of the movies, but this really deep low frequency kind of wooooh wooooh wooooh noise, very similar to that thing the Icelandic football fans do. When up close you could actually feel the reverberation in your chest - in all the times I've seen lions (I've only ever seen them on telly or in a zoo mind) I've never heard them do anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The word "Cul de Sac" makes no sense, grammatically or otherwise in French.

The liquer Irish Mist is sold in Germany as well. "Mist" in German means "manure", so we are selling them Irish Manure in a bottle. It still sells well over there.

One of BMWs main buildings was built in Munich on the old Schittgablerstrasse or "Manure Fork Street". On completion of the building BMW applied to Munich City Council to have the name changed. They refused.

Konrad Adenauer was German Kanzler back in the 1950's. He was asked to pick a new state car and shown a BMW 502and a Mercedes 300. He picked the Merc solely because he could get in and out of it without removing his hat. It lead to a boom in Mercedes sales in Germany and BMW took almost 50 years to catch up with them. The car is today still known in Germany as an 'Adenauer Mercedes '.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to apply it to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cul-de-sac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Red Kev wrote: »
    ...He picked the Merc solely because he could get in and out of it without removing his hat...
    I'll just leave this here... :D

vbulletinaolto5.jpgaolto5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

New Home wrote: »
    Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

Seems to have a French etymology alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you were to lay all your blood vessels out end to end, you'd likely die

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wossack wrote: »
    if you were to lay all your blood vessels out end to end, you'd likely die

Likely ????? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Likely ????? :eek::eek:

what am I, a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Doesn't 'cul de sac' literally mean 'bottom of bag'? It seems to be quite apt to apply it to a road that, like the bottom of a bag, has no way out except for the way you came in.

Except it's not bottom, the opposite of top, it's the thing you sit upon.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah well now, VHDL is VHSIC Hardware Description Language, the low-level of low-level of microcode. :D
    And VHSIC is ...

I digress

Low level ?

my_favorite_programming_language_is_solder_pease.jpg
    http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/ :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

http://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/cul-de-sac

I'm a bit rusty on the aul' frogspeak, but according to them serious-sounding fellas, "Cul" here refers to the deepest part.

Like Bottom was an ass? :D

Not only that - see point 5 (there's an actual image of a backside that refers to the other meanings, so it's NSFW)
    (Figuré) Le dessous d’un objet, sur lequel généralement il repose, ou, sa partie arrière.
    Un cul de bouteille.
    Le cul d’un chariot.

Very rough translation: 'The bottom of an object, on which it usually rests, or its back. The bottom of a bottle. The back of a carriage.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

During his first public demonstration of the Television, John Logie Baird said -in true dour Scottish humour-
    "Och aye 'tis great alright.... but still there's nay f***all on".

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

The word "boycott" originated in Ireland, after the town of Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo started a campaign of isolation against Charles Cunningham Boycott, a land agent who worked for the 3rd Lord Erne. History tells it that in 1880 all local shops refused to serve him, and the boy who delivered his mail was threatened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

The imported rabbits killed off our wolves and bears? Jaysus!

They've got a vicious streak a mile wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The word "boycott" originated in Ireland, after the town of Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo started a campaign of isolation against Charles Cunningham Boycott, a land agent who worked for the 3rd Lord Erne. History tells it that in 1880 all local shops refused to serve him, and the boy who delivered his mail was threatened.

That's Junior Cert stuff, I would have thought it was well-known.

The boycott was mainly successful because nobody would harvest his crops. Eventually some Orangemen from Cavan and Monaghan agreed to do it but the cost of transporting them to the area and providing police protection was more than the value of the harvest, rendering the entire effort pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Like Bottom was an ass? :D

Not only that - see point 5 (there's an actual image of a backside that refers to the other meanings, so it's NSFW)

Very rough translation: 'The bottom of an object, on which it usually rests, or its back. The bottom of a bottle. The back of a carriage.'

And if you're drinking with your friends, if someone shouts "Cul sec!" (literally, dry arse), it means down it in one (leave the bottom of the glass dry).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Apparently we have another continent to add to that argument!

Earth has a brand-new continent called Zealandia, and it's been hiding in plain sight for ages

And VHSIC is ...

Very High-Speed Integrated Circuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 re_shaft

The new continent could have economic and geopolitical implications.

It won't. The human concept of what a continent is is pretty arbitrary.

re_shaft wrote: »
    It won't. The human concept of what a continent is is pretty arbitrary.

Am I missing something here, but is the thing not under several hundred meters of ocean anyway? That makes it a bit academic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

"Thin air" isn't. It's actually quite thick.

If your car could drive straight up, space would be about an hour's drive away.

The size of the Earth compared with its atmosphere is proportional to the size of an apple compared with its skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

storker wrote: »
    "Thin air" isn't. It's actually quite thick.

The size of the Earth compared with its atmosphere is proportional to the size of an apple compared with its skin.

But Air and atmosphere are not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

storker wrote: »

Surely that depends on how fast you drive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement