Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Red Kev wrote: »
    Every film that John Cazale appeared in was nominated for the Best Film Oscar.

All his scenes in The Deer Hunter were shot first as he was dying of cancer at the time, he died before its release.

Actually died before it finished filming if memory serves and that was with filming rearranged to film his scenes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    You can't play Polo (on a horse, not in water) if you are left handed.

There's something sinister about lefties...
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=sinister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Every film that John Cazale appeared in was nominated for the Best Film Oscar.

All his scenes in The Deer Hunter were shot first as he was dying of cancer at the time, he died before its release.
    If one counts his film to nomination ratio, he was the most successful actor ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

There's something sinister about lefties...
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=sinister

I choose only to read this part....
    connected with the root of Sanskrit saniyan "more useful, more advantageous."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco has a truck that acts like a zip. The zip makes the median of the road shift to facilitate wider lanes on a given side for rush hour traffic.

http---makeagif_com--media-1-14-2015-0jRWBy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

FanadMan wrote: »
    So somewhere at sometime, there is/was a more successful/less successful, better looking/uglier version of me? Well, best of luck/feck'em :D

Yeah it known as the Multiverse Theory

More interesting was its earliest reference was in Dublin in 1952, Erwin Schrödinger gave a lecture in which he jokingly warned his audience that what he was about to say might "seem lunatic". He said that, when his Nobel equations seemed to describe several different histories, these were "not alternatives, but all really happen simultaneously". This is the earliest known reference to the multiverse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭micar

26 is the only known number to lie between a number squared (5x5=25) and a number cubed (3x3x3=27).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Cartouche wrote: »
    This is the earliest known reference to the multiverse

The first known reference in *this* universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Can you explain further? because Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky....

He wrote it but when pitching it to UA they wanted Burt Reynolds, Robert Redford or James Caan for the part.
    Stallone had to persuade them to let him play the role.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Winterlong wrote: »
    He wrote it but when pitching it to UA they wanted Burt Reynolds, Robert Redford or James Caan for the part.
    Stallone had to persuade them to let him play the role.

And I believe in order to get the part for himself, he was paid a paltry sum for he role as the studio believed it would be a flop if Stallone was the lead, but that was his ultimatum, 'it's me or you don't make my movie'

He was almost living destitute at the time, having to sell his beloved dog as he couldn't feed him anymore, and guess what the first thing he bought (back) was when he finally made some money.

It's quite the feel good story, and upon hearing it, Stallone went way up in my estimation (as when I was young I just assumed he was just another big action movie star).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

When Bucharest faced a radical redesign in the 1980s under communist dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu, engineers moved complete buildings hundreds of metres on metal tracks to preserve the Romanian capital’s architectural heritage.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/dec/14/bucharest-moved-churches-safety-communist-romania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Yeah it known as the Multiverse Theory

More interesting was its earliest reference was in Dublin in 1952, Erwin Schrödinger gave a lecture in which he jokingly warned his audience that what he was about to say might "seem lunatic". He said that, when his Nobel equations seemed to describe several different histories, these were "not alternatives, but all really happen simultaneously". This is the earliest known reference to the multiverse

The quantum mechanical model of multiverses is not the same as the cosmological version. In the former universes are being created at every quantum event, in the latter there were very many (or an infinite number) of universes created before the big bang, maybe within other universes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And I believe in order to get the part for himself, he was paid a paltry sum for he role as the studio believed it would be a flop if Stallone was the lead, but that was his ultimatum, 'it's me or you don't make my movie'

He was almost living destitute at the time, having to sell his beloved dog as he couldn't feed him anymore, and guess what the first thing he bought (back) was when he finally made some money.

It's quite the feel good story, and upon hearing it, Stallone went way up in my estimation (as when I was young I just assumed he was just another big action movie star).

This thread keeps on giving!! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Stallone wrote Cop Land. He's a lot more than an action star.

The quantum mechanical model of multiverses is not the same as the cosmological version. In the former universes are being created at every quantum event, in the latter there were very many (or an infinite number) of universes created before the big bang, maybe within other universes.

The universes predicted by string theory and inflation live in the same physical space (unlike the many universes of quantum mechanics which live in a mathematical space), they can overlap or collide. Indeed, they inevitably must collide, leaving possible signatures in the cosmic sky which we can try to search for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Following paragraph from Wikipedia :

Hugh Everett III (November 11, 1930 – July 19, 1982) was an American physicist who first proposed the many-worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics, which he termed his "relative state" formulation

You may not have heard of Hugh, but you may have heard of his son, Mark Oliver Everett. He's better known as E, singer with the band Eels.
    He did a great documentary a few years ago trying to understand his father's life and work. It's called Parallel Worlds Parallel Lives, and is available on YouTube and Vimeo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

ahlookit wrote: »
    Following paragraph from Wikipedia :

Hugh Everett III (November 11, 1930 – July 19, 1982) was an American physicist who first proposed the many-worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics, which he termed his "relative state" formulation

You may not have heard of Hugh, but you may have heard of his son, Mark Oliver Everett. He's better known as E, singer with the band Eels.
    He did a great documentary a few years ago trying to understand his father's life and work. It's called Parallel Worlds Parallel Lives, and is available on YouTube and Vimeo

Watched that again last week - is brilliant. Saw it first as the "support act" for Eels in Vicar St in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Nicolas Cage's real name is Nicolas Coppola and is the nephew of The Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola.

Time Stops at the Speed of Light

According to Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity, the speed of light can never change—it’s always stuck at approximately 300,000,000 meters/second, no matter who’s observing it. This in itself is incredible enough, given that nothing can move faster than light, but it’s still very theoretical.

The really cool part of Special Relativity is an idea called time dilation, which states that the faster you go, the slower time passes for you relative to your surroundings. If you drive in your car for an hour, you will have aged ever-so-slightly less than if you had just sat at home on the computer.

Of course, time can only slow down so much, and the formula works out so that if you’re moving at the speed of light, time isn’t moving at all.

Just note that moving at the speed of light isn’t actually possible, unless you happen to be made of light. Technically speaking, moving that fast would require an infinite amount of energy

The United States, Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries who don't officially use the metric system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Candie wrote: »
    The United States, Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries who don't officially use the metric system.

What about England aren't they imperial system?

Officially the metric system is used for all trade by weight and measurement, it's only road signage that remains Imperial, and of course, the pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's a justifiable sacking offence in the UK if you insist on using imperial in a professional environment that uses metric. Example would be constantly using imperial in an engineers office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

VonLuck wrote: »
    Nicolas Cage's real name is Nicolas Coppola and is the nephew of The Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola.

After reading the posts above, you googled Silvester Stallone, then the woman who played Adrian (after seeing her surname Capolla), then saw the Nick Cage association.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    After reading the posts above, you googled Silvester Stallone, then the woman who played Adrian (after seeing her surname Capolla), then saw the Nick Cage association.

Actually, no, but not far off. I saw someone mention The Godfather and it just stemmed from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Star Trek trivia.

Sarah Silverman appeared in an episode of Voyager and she was going to stay on in the show but instead they chose to bring in Jeri Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's a justifiable sacking offence in the UK if you insist on using imperial in a professional environment that uses metric. Example would be constantly using imperial in an engineers office.
    In 1996 New Zealand won the inaugural Tri Nations rugby championship.

Here is All Blacks captain Sean Fitzpatrick attempting to lift the trophy.

SF2.jpg?t=1366290802

This monstrosity was designed in Australia where the metric system is used. The dimensions, in centimeters, were then sent to London to be made.

The manufacturers in England still clung on to the outdated imperial system and assumed the measurements to be inches.

The trophy, produced 2.5 times larger than designed, was quickly discarded and is now rumored to be used as a waste paper basket at a NZRU office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Star Trek trivia.

Sarah Silverman appeared in an episode of Voyager and she was going to stay on in the show but instead they chose to bring in Jeri Ryan.

That was a close call. Can't imagine Voyager without Seven of Nine and her sexy catsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The trophy, produced 2.5 times larger than designed, was quickly discarded and is now rumored to be used as a waste paper basket at a NZRU office.

b6a15889c9adb7d34dd3ecf748dd335b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I bet you didnt know that

... the sky isn't really blue!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement