Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The only survivor on the US side of the Battle of the Little Bighorn (1876) was the horse Comanche, who belonged to Captain Myles Keogh. Cpt Keogh was born in Leighlinbridge, Co Carlow.

Leighlinbridge, Co Carlow is pronounced "Lock-lin-bridge" (not Lay-lin-bridge as Ive heard it said by numerous people)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

If two pieces of the same type of metal touch in outer space, they will bond together permanently in a reaction known as "cold welding".

It doesn't happen here because unlike the vacuum of space, our atmosphere has lots of oxygen. This reacts with metals to form covalent bonds on the outer layer of metals (oxidizes) and prevents metallic bonding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There is a small population of Lions in India.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is a small population of Lions in India.
    And lions were a native species in southern Europe up until the time BC flipped to AD. Well known and reported by Greek and Roman writers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

The single most remote inhabited place in the world, Tristan de Cunha is an archipelago of small islands located in the southern Atlantic Ocean. The nearest land to the island is South Africa, which is roughly 1,700 miles away, while the South American coast lies at a distance of about 2,000 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Today is EU 112 Day. The emergency phone number 112 is now recognised in all EU countries.

FYI, ringing 112 from a mobile phone will work if you have no credit, and even works in phones with no sim. If the phone has no coverage, ringing 112 will try all networks until it gets coverage. It can even tap into the reserve charge in the battery, so its always worth trying if you have an emergency.

Also, if its a non-smartphone and its pin locked, pressing 112 will unlock it and dial.

Cool, eh?

Pin locked smart phones have emergency dial too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

The first public zoo – Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes – was created in Paris during the revolution. This happened as a result of the National Assembly demands that all privately held exotic animals be donated to the menagerie or stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

when you get a Tattoo' the body rejects it and forms a barrier to prevent it from entering , that's why it stays visable. or words to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Initially after independence the United Kingdom insisted on using only the name "Eire" and refused to accept the name "Ireland". It adopted the Eire (Confirmation of Agreements) Act 1938 putting in law that position.

At the 1948 Summer Olympics the organisers insisted that the Irish team march under the banner "Eire" notwithstanding that every other team was marching according to what their name was in English.[6]

The UK Government used what some Irish politicians stated were "sneering titles such as Eirish".[7] The UK Government would refer to "Eire Ministers" and the "Eireann Army" and generally avoid all reference to "Ireland" in connection with the state.

The Ireland Act 1949 changed this to "Republic of Ireland". It was not until after the 1998 Good Friday Agreement that the UK government accepted the preferred name of simply "Ireland", at the same time as Ireland dropped its territorial claim over Northern Ireland.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

<wikipedia copy and paste>
    Isn't Wiki wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

Don't copy & paste from articles on other sites like it is your own. Quote part of it and leave a link to the source.

This is boards.ie, not TheLiberal.ie #shotsfired

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

310131869830234113-png__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

New Home wrote: »

What are you doing in here NH? Thought you only live in TTTMYH :D

Keep meaning to put this thread into TTTMYH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman is space on June 16th 1963. She was also the first civilian, as the Russians wanted to prove that space travel was also for the proletariat, not just the military. 16 months before that historic flight she was working in a factory as a textile worker, but she applied to join the programme as she was a keen parachute jumper.

She spent 3 days in space, more than the time of all US astronauts combined at that time. She was also exactly 10 years younger than the then youngest US astornaut Gordon Cooper and to this day is still the second youngest person ever to fly in space. It would be another 20 years before the US sent a woman into space.

Her spaceship Vostok 6 was launched the day after Vostok 5 and the two ships passed within 5 km of each other in outer space. They used a standard radio to communicate with each other. They also did this with Vostok 3 and 4. The Americans were convinced that the Russians had developed some sort of manouverability system in space to achieve this, but in actual fact it was down to very precise launch times and calculations. This was only officially confirmed to the Americans in the mid 1990's.

Now, I did not know that.

Never considered it before.

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino is from an Argentinean village called Murphy, after John James Murphy, who emigrated there in the 1840's and at one time owned 18000 hectares of land, which he farmed with the help of a load of people from his home county of Wexford.

though often associated with Italian cuisine, the humble tomato came from the good ol USA!! the Italians are just great at using it.

Also, I learned recently, the word viscosity derives it's name from a Latin term describing the thick sap of the mistletoe.. who knew eh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The Hochrheinbrucke is a 225m bridge linking Germany and Switzerland across the Rhine river in Laufenburg. It was built between 2002 and 2004. The construction was started from both sides simultaneously and was made slightly more complex as the Germans take their sea level point as that in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Ordnance Datum), but the Swiss use a point in Lake Geneva, which is based on the sea level in Marseille.

There is a 27cm difference between the two of them, this was known and taken into account. But instead of subtracting 27cm, a person in the office accidentally added 27cm at the start of the design phase, so half way through the construction of the bridge they noticed that the bridge was going to be 54cm higher one one side than the other.

It was corrected in time and the insurance for the engineering company paid for the extra costs. The total cost of the bridge was €6,000,000, how much the mistake cost was never publicised.

To make things more complex, Austria uses a sea level based on the Adriatic. The problem has hopefully been solved for the future using this system here: https://evrs.bkg.bund.de/Subsites/EVRS/EN/Home/home.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

rusty cole wrote: »
    though often associated with Italian cuisine, the humble tomato came from the good ol USA!! the Italians are just great at using it.

Also, I learned recently, the word viscosity derives it's name from a Latin term describing the thick sap of the mistletoe.. who knew eh!!

I always thought that tomatoes, peppers, beans and corn all originated from Central and South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Oh and Bananas are technically a berries.

They're also a herb. Banana "trees" contain no woody (fnarr!) tissue and are therefore not technically trees but herbaceous plants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Dolmio sauces associated with Italian cuisine actually originated as Alora, a brand owned by Mars International in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Actually the playtpus is venomous, not poisonous.
    Poisonous means the toxin is ingested, inhaled or delivered via touch, while venomous mean the toxin is injected into a wound.

Hence there are actually only three species of poisonous snakes in the world (according to QI, anyway)..

blastman wrote: »
    They're also a herb. Banana "trees" contain no woody (fnarr!) tissue and are therefore not technically trees but herbaceous plants

And they 'crawl', so to speak, so a line of banana plants this year will produce another line of new shoots at a certain distance from the parent plant next year. I can't remember whether they 'crawl' underground, though, like some types of bamboo canes, or above ground like strawberries do. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's an annual plant.
    GMSA wrote: »
    Dolmio sauces associated with Italian cuisine actually originated as Alora, a brand owned by Mars International in Australia.

I don't have a jar here to check, but I'm pretty sure that the sauces sold in Ireland are produced in Holland.

I always thought that tomatoes, peppers, beans and corn all originated from Central and South America.

the book said america so technically we're both right, I didnt mean north exclusively sorry (mea culpa enda kenny style), I meant the americas.. jeesh!! kick many puppies on the way to work much?? :)

the book said america so technically we're both right, I didnt mean north exclusively sorry (mea culpa enda kenny style), I meant the americas.. jeesh!! kick many puppies on the way to work much?? :)

In fairness, you were not both right, technically or otherwise. The USA in on a different continent to the correct origin.

No, not even one. :D You didn't ask whether they kick me, though... :eek:
    In fairness, you were not both right, technically or otherwise. The USA in on a different continent to the correct origin.

:D Unless we go back to the whole 'How many continents are there?' debate... We can agree on the fact that they didn't originate in Europe, at least. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The story about the cock up with the bridge reminds me of the story of.the Mars Orbital spacecraft that burned up in the Mars atmosphere due to a mix up between an instrument reading in imperial units, and the computer software expecting to receive the data in metric.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Now that continent idea could start an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The plural is cul de sac is culs de sac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Everyone knows that computers are based on logic values '1' and '0' and it's one or the other.

VHDL is a programming language and it's "binary" values can be one of these nine, in order of precedence , 'U','X','1','0','Z','W','H','L','-'

'U' = uninitialized - hasn't settled to 1 or 0 , well not yet anyway
    'X' = unknown , could be 1 , could be 0 , but probably the one you don't want
    '1'/'0'= OK I recognise these , what's with the rest ?
    'Z' = floating , high impedance , will be overridden by a 1 or 0
    'W' = weak 'X' - a weak unknown , vaguely 1 ish or maybe 0 ish
    'H'/'L' = weak '1'/'0'
    '-' = don't care , and by now you probably don't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement