Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

45 years of fast food chains in Ireland

• 11-02-2017 12:18am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In 1972, Ireland's first international fast food outlet, a (then called) Kentucky Fried Chicken, opened in Phibsboro.

In 1977, McDonalds followed and then in 1981 Burger King came. The rest is history. Do you think it was inevitable or a big mistake? There are now about 80 McDs in Ireland. Do you think this is too many?

Do you think the future of fast food here is assured?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The 's' in fast food is actually silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

JupiterKid wrote: »
    In 1972, Ireland's first international fast food outlet, a (then called) Kentucky Fried Chicken, opened in Phibsboro.

In 1977, McDonalds followed and then in 1981 Burger King came. The rest is history. Do you think it was inevitable or a big mistake? There are now about 80 McDs in Ireland. Do you think this is too many?

Don't you remember Wimpy bars???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My parents never bought us fast food, it was always homemade.

First time I went to McDonalds/got any type of fast food I was 11 when my Uncle took us. I think my parents had the right approach to an extent - wholesome homemade, but getting fast food now and again is fine, but some people live on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Don't you remember Wimpy bars???

My next door neighbour opened the first Wimpy in Galway in the either the late 60's or early 70's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Mandy's was where it was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Burgerland/garden was the place to go in Waterford when I was a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

there was a Wimpy in westport and castlebar to. where the Irish House pub in Castlebar is was where the wimpy was. jeez thats a long time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

20 minutes waiting for a burger is not my idea of fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Back in the 70s I remember them all. Wimpy in Inchicore, Dublin. Burgerland in both Dublin and Waterford, when they gave out the Walt Disney glasses. Wendy's just off O'Connell street (Mary Street with its wooden seats) My first experience of Burger King was the one beside the Savoy Cinema on O'Connell Street in 1985. McDonalds was actually the last place I got to back then.

Does anyone remember New York New York on Baggot Street, Dublin??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Grandeeod wrote: »

Does anyone remember New York New York on Baggot Street, Dublin??
    I worked above it in sunshine radio. It was burgerland and after they closed it became new York new york. I don't remember it lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Forget the name of the chipper in Longford... Something like 'BurgerMaster'

Underneath sign, had
    'New York - Paris - London - Longford'

Twas before the interwebz, so probably not many people from Longford could verify the other supposed outlets! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Others

King Burger - ilac and O'Connell st I think

Wonderburger in northside sc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The future is surely assured ..................The 18-30's would'nt know how to cook spuds is a microwave ,let alone a sausepan .

They eats spuds all right ,but the fat greasy types cooked as chips in fast-food outlets .

Delacent wrote: »
    I worked above it in sunshine radio. It was burgerland and after they closed it became new York new york. I don't remember it lasting long.

Oh yeah sunshine were up over head alright. Mark Cagney must of been there at the time surely? Never remember it as a burgerland as only got up that way by 86 or so. I may be wrong but New York New York may have had another branch around town?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Was Wimpy here before KFC? Captain Americas opened in 1971 but it was a restaurant opposed to a fast food joint.

I had a Wimpy in Belfast about 25 years ago - rank!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are there any Wimpy's left?

Remember it as a kid in the '70's

Nothing can quite replace the taste of newsprint on the chips.

Steve wrote: »
    Are there any Wimpy's left?

Remember it as a kid in the '70's

Nothing can quite replace the taste of newsprint on the chips.

Toasted buns!

sugarman wrote: »
    2 interesting facts about McDonalds I just read

I well remember when that drive through opened - I went to it when it was brand new as a 10 year old and it made my week!:pac:

The McCafe is a good addition to McDs. Their coffee is miles ahead of Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apart from very rare chips, years ago now, never used any fast food place...

• Advertisement

• Had a card for free club burgers in Burgerland in 1996.

It was like the Wonka Golden Ticket.

Never liked Burgerland. Found their burgers pretty rank.

In my opinion the Whopper is superior to the Big Mac. But I hear that Bunsen is THE place for a really good burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The McCafe is a good addition to McDs. Their coffee is miles ahead of Starbucks.
    In fairness, you're setting the bar pretty low there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Graces7 wrote: »
    Apart from very rare chips, years ago now, never used any fast food place...

Yeah eating rare chips is enough to put anyone off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

4 Lights is the only fast food worth checking out.. McD's etc can feck off..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In May 1980 (at the age of 7), I had my first Holy Communion. As a treat, I got fish'n'chips (brought from Kildare to MacDonald's in O'Connell Street in Dublin!)

The fish had mayonnaise slathered upon it so I did the only rational thing: I crept under the table and cried. My parents probably thought I was a bit weird. They probably still do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I can remember the first McDonald's opening in Dublin and being brought for a birthday treat.

There was no "seating". Instead it was a plastic (easy wipe clean) bench around the outside at a 45° angle and the tables in the middle had similar short benches as they didn't want people hanging round.

For kids birthdays you could book a Ronald appearance and they had a McDonalds ice cream cake. Only got to one of those parties as a kid as they were very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Does anyone remember the Hi-Burger that was in the Crescent in Limerick.

The bins said "Feed Me" on the lid. My little bogger mind was blown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

45 years ?

The Italians have been doing fish and chips since the 1880's too

And MacMurrough was selling out in 1169

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

there was a Wimpy in westport and castlebar to. where the Irish House pub in Castlebar is was where the wimpy was. jeez thats a long time ago...

Had my first ever Burger in the Wimpy in Westport. No burger was ever as good as wot I got there. Although I do recall my uncle buying me a burger as a young lad in Phibsborough once and it was almost as good. Can't get them anymore. Fried onions , lettuce and ketchup was all that was on them. None of this gerkin nonsense.

Advertisement