Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

45 years of fast food chains in Ireland

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Supermacs chicken is ok, their chips are shite.

Run by a mane cnut too starved to give employees a uniform. A darling of every radio show business slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

He didn’t make his money by throwing it around. Money isn’t for spending. You won’t have a Bob eating chipper food every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That’s what I want when I go to macdonalds but it doesn’t happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You need some fast food you are having a sugar crash.

BK burgers are better, McDs chips are better.

BK chips were much improved for a while, they launched "king fries" about 20 years ago and were even giving them out for free outside their restaurants. They were better than most and were the closest to McDonalds out of all the fast food places. They seem to have phased them out or changed the recipe or something though, as they're gone crap again the last while.

I've never had a good bag of chips out of KFC. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not mad about the fries in either McD or BK (or Supermac's) but BK burgers are definitely better than McD

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Hillbilly's are the only place that do decent fast food chips. It helps that their gravy is dynamite as well.

Never heard of it.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most chippers in the republic don't do gravy, in NI they seem to always offer it.

Fried chicken place, blows KFC outta the water. They've a few outlets around the country .

Their gravy is seriously spectacular, I know someone who used to drive over to Marino from Clondalkin, just for the gravy alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I remember when I first went to Abrekababra way back in the 90's they had signs on the wall showing you how to fold the wrapping so you could eat the Kebab. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The chips in hillbillys are rank, even the KFC ones are better and that is saying a lot

The rest of chicken based menu is good alright and I'm pretty sure pat grace is behind them as well

Mcds bk KFC are a disgrace, an insult to food, like the zinger burger compared to a breast inda bun from hillbilly's it's like they came from a different animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nandos is a bit 50/50

None in Waterford and its a thing to eat there travelling to the Cork/Dublin and UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

McDonalds chips, when done right and fresh, are amazing. I would eat buckets of the fries if they were right. Their double quarter pounder can be good, again if it's cooked right. It can be quite inconsistent unfortunately. In Limerick, the Crescent one was always bad, at least 1 thing wrong with every order. Not sure if it has improved since getting done up.

BurgerKing have the best fast food burgers, hands down. Genuinely flame grilled, and their specials are exactly what specials should be, big huge terribly unhealthy burgers (like the recent Texas Bacon Lovers range... sweet jebus... I've had 3 in the last couple of weeks!). Their chips since changing from the crispy McD versions are meh. They're not good nor bad. They just are. Not the worst when covered with stuff though, like the Texas Bacon Lovers!

KFC have excellent chicken options, but their newer chips are rank. I've stopped going simply because of them. Used to love the bonless banquet, but can't enjoy it now with their horrible chips. And their gravy? It's nothing special. Tis no Chicken Hut gravy!

I don't know if I'd include Abra in the fast food side, they're not as quick, but they're not restaurant slow either. In the middle somewhere, with prices to match, but I do like some of their stuff. Getting a large CBG with a breaded chicken fillet and curry sauce (basically combining the CBG and Katsu Curry) is amazing! Their fillet rolls can be nice too, but only if made by someone competent, and not someone who has no idea as to the sauce ratio!

I don't eat in Supermacs if at all possible. The food isn't the worst, but I actually hate McDonagh so want to avoid supporting him at all costs (includes not filling up at Circle-K's attached to Supermacs, he has something to do with those station iirc). I had to bring the niece and nephew there recently, their choice, and I was utterly disgusted that their 5oz burger is now flatter than McDonalds and nothing like they were when they launched. Horrible man forcing horrible practices on his staff (they have to pay for the uniform and get charged for a lunch even if they don't eat anything), I don't want to support that. Like Amazon, I don't shop on them because they're Amazon. Only me, but every little helps!

Tell ya what though, I'd murder someone for a tub of Kranks Korner's pink sauce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always had a “soft spot” for Rick’s Burger on Dame St. Great burgers, central, cheap, quick and had an eat in area. Even their chicken burgers were great.

The only drawbacks, for me, were the Abrakebra style chips and the cellar toilets.

I know a lot of lads on here had “issues” with Ricks due to their use of halal meat. Says more about them, really.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Jackie Lennox’s in Cork deserves a mention on this thread. Great take away. There’s a place in Kilmore Quay the Saltee Grill maybe it’s called amazing fish and chips. Dooley’s In tramore is good. Is Doneky Fords in Limerick still going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Original post reported as you're making me feel old.

Not too sure about the sound of that, what kind of animal? 😁

Huh? People are travelling from Waterford to Cork, Dublin or the UK to get feckin' Nandos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The big mac tastes far nicer than the whopper. The fries in both McDonald's and BK are below average and Abrakadabra is pure muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Tried “Chopstix” yesterday, a range of fast service Chinese style food. They’re based in Applegreen service stations along motorways mostly

mostly chicken based in a variety of sauces (BBQ/sweet and sour/salt & chilli/Orange/etc), served over noodles or boiled/fried rice in three sizes.

Reasonably priced, but terrible greasy food with bland flavour. The batter/coating on the chicken is also mushy instead of crispy

I had high hopes of a Panda Express like experience but it was so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

We need to get into chicken salt here it's a gamechanger on chips. I had it abroad for years and every Irish person I spoke to who've had it rave about it. Are there any fast food places here that use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've been tempted to pop in to the one at walkinstown roundabout, I've heard good things. It's just that living in the UK, as soon as I see a chicken place I can't help but think of the manky horrible conditions those birds endure through their brief existence so I never darken any of their doors. Hopefully Irish production hasn't lowered itself to those hellish levels and I may actually have a sample on my next trip home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It really isn't. I'd hear an argument for their Beef Burgers being superior, but for the rest of the menu, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this thread is enough to turn you vegetarian😐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

We need more places like Mahon Point where you can get something from each of the chains to make the ultimate fast food meal. BK burger, McD chips and sweet curry sauce, chicken from KFC (boneless)... Used to love doing that in Mahon.

Advertisement