Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growler Fills

• 09-02-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

The only information I can find online (Beoir etc) is a few years old now.

With the popularity of growlers slowly growing I thought it'd be good to get a bit of a list of places where fills can be had.

I know of the following three in Dublin, but does anyone have any more?

Baggot St Wines
    Supervalu Ballinteer
    The Open Gate Brewery (Guinness)

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm pretty sure JW Sweetman's and the Galway Bay bars will fill a growler

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SuperValu Blanchardstown
    Carryout Tyrrellstown

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SuperValu Kimmage (though I've not seen anyone use it since they gave out filled growlers for a tenner.)
    Lurching wrote: »
    With the popularity of growlers slowly growing
    I think the opposite is happening. Do Craft Beer Growlers have any stations except Tyrrelstown and Baggot Street Wines these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think the opposite is happening. Do Craft Beer Growlers have any stations except Tyrrelstown and Baggot Street Wines these days?

I think the problem with the SuperValu ones is that they're too expensive. You'd be better off buying bottles as at least you know they'll last a while.

I'd be happy to be able to fill up in the likes of Against the Grain or any other pub with craft taps. I know it wont last as long as a proper growler machine however.

Anyone know if Against the Grain will fill growlers? And if so, do they just charge you for four standard pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

SuperValu Kimmage (though I've not seen anyone use it since they gave out filled growlers for a tenner.)

McHugh's? Although they haven't mentioned it on twitter in a few months

• Advertisement

I know it wont last as long as a proper growler machine however.
    You do? Have you tested this?
    Anyone know if Against the Grain will fill growlers?
    Yes, they have the same growler offer as all the Galway Bay pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The two McHughs still do the CBG Growlers, and the Tap House in Ranelagh had a station the last time I was in there.

And yeah, BeerNut is right, they are declining in popularity, I don't think the Irish breweries are producing enough "specials" for them to be worthwhile, seeing as the cost of any core range beers in the growler system is about the same as buying a properly filled bottle of the same beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

in Cork, Franciscan Well and Quishs Supervalu offer growlers.

Quishs regularly have Beavertown Gamma Ray and Neck Oil available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

RonanC wrote: »

Quishs regularly have Beavertown Gamma Ray and Neck Oil available.
    In a growler system?

You do? Have you tested this?

Admittedly, I haven't. I'm going on what I was told in The Open Gate. Their growler machine was broken and they said the same beer from the tap will only last 1 week in the growler as opposed to 2-3 weeks from the growler filler (providing it's not opened & kept refrigerated).

• Advertisement

If you purge it with C02 it will last longer. Supervalue ones don't have C02 but at least they use a hose.

GBB pubs just splash it into the growler.

RasTa wrote: »
    If you purge it with C02 it will last longer.
    One certainly hears that said. It seems to be a bit of an article of faith, though, with little to no evidence behind it. I've kept splashy-hose beer (from Sweetmans) in a growler for weeks and it was grand.

One certainly hears that said. It seems to be a bit of an article of faith, though, with little to no evidence behind it. I've kept splashy-hose beer (from Sweetmans) in a growler for weeks and it was grand.

Disagree, even logically it doesn't make sense with all that oxygen.

Well, until you actually test the logic it remains theoretical. I think there's a bit of boys'-toys flim-flam going on with the fancy growler machines. The theatre of the pour.

Well, until you actually test the logic it remains theoretical. I think there's a bit of boys'-toys flim-flam going on with the fancy growler machines. The theatre of the pour.

You don't need to test it, any professional brewer will tell you the beer will be spoilt in a couple of days if you're just pouring from the tap.

Purging the oxygen out of the device being filled will increase the shelf life of the crowler or growler.

any professional brewer will tell you the beer will be spoilt in a couple of days if you're just pouring from the tap.
    Except it doesn't :o Seriously: try it. As long as there isn't too much headspace, the beer's grand, in my experience.

One should always test everything. ESPECIALLY if a brewer told it to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Forgive me a stupid question as I've never used growler.

In the likes of GBB bars, I presume you can't get them to put just any tap beer in and it has to be just GBB stuff that they serve in pints?

Except it doesn't :o Seriously: try it. As long as there isn't too much headspace, the beer's grand, in my experience.

One should always test everything. ESPECIALLY if a brewer told it to you ;)

Maybe you can't distingush off flavours :D:D

I will not try this as I can't wait 3 weeks to drink a growler.

Brewer's would gain more money anyway if they didn't have to use the fancy growlers. My experience is speaking with the yanks who would know more than us peasants when it comes to these systems.

In the likes of GBB bars, I presume you can't get them to put just any tap beer in and it has to be just GBB stuff that they serve in pints?
    Just GBB stuff, I think.
    Brewer's would gain more money anyway if they didn't have to use the fancy growlers.
    Which I guess is why brewers such as JW Sweetman and Galway Bay don't bother. They don't have to so they don't.
    My experience is speaking with the yanks who would know more than us peasants when it comes to these systems.
    Hey! I'll have you know that I'm beer royalty!

As it happens, the main reason for this thread is due to a new growler I recently bought from the states. It has a built in CO2 cartridge. Sounds like any old tap beer should last like a proper growler machine filled bottle.

• Advertisement

It has a built in CO2 cartridge. Sounds like any old tap beer should last like a proper growler machine filled bottle.
    Ahh but does it flush the vessel before the beer goes in? If it doesn't do the flush you may as well be pouring weedkiller in there, according to an American I met.

Ahh but does it flush the vessel before the beer goes in? If it doesn't do the flush you may as well be pouring weedkiller in there, according to an American I met.

Now now,

I mean why even bother purging bottles or cans with C02 before filling, don't even bother purging your bright beer tank. Just lash the beer in and it will still be fine 3 weeks after according to some Irish lad on the internet.

I've certainly tasted oxidised homebrew but it's far from the norm. I don't know any home brewers who purge their bottles with CO2, but I know plenty who make great non-oxidised long-lasting beer. Pesky empirical evidence getting in the way of "somebody told me" again.

I've certainly tasted oxidised homebrew but it's far from the norm. I don't know any home brewers who purge their bottles with CO2, but I know plenty who make great non-oxidised long-lasting beer. Pesky empirical evidence getting in the way of "somebody told me" again.

You must tell all the commercial brewery's that they are wasting their time and money purging their vessels before filling.

I'm sure no scientists have ever worked in a brewery and the lads just came up with purging out of nowhere.

Just as all homebrewed beer is fully carbonated when bottling.

It's a scale thing. It's useful to take those sorts of precautions with a full-size commercial batch of beer. As far as I can tell that doesn't scale down to growler level, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just GBB stuff, I think.

Was hoping I could go in and demand they fill the growler with Founders Imperial Porter :pac:

You definitely can. There's just no guarantee they'll actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Sullivans brewery in Kilkenny are offering growlers too

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

In a growler system?

Using key kegs.

• Advertisement

C30IXuyWAAAhAGQ.jpg

Advertisement