Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dayton Wide Oyster

The text messages from the public seem to be the voice of reason these days. He has the following on; the lunatic right wings and a bleeding heart liberal or two who share the same opinion...not everyone subscribes to the liberal or the extreme right pov and most of the texts prove that most want common sense ....half listening to the drug centeres yesterday and I thought he was surprised why people don't want t be near them

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The show, like many chat shows, is hosted by someone with specific point of views, dating way back to when he was involved in newspapers. Why do people expect 'balance' all the time?

Because the licence under which he is entitled to broadcast requires balance.

Notwithstanding that, every time he runs the car insurance issue, he only ever has an insurance industry person on banging on about the "cost of claims" which has been shown to be a myth.

I will be contacting the show to complain about this and failing an adequate response, I will go to the BAI over the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Conor Faughnan and Charlie Weston are forever on the show to put forward the consumers point of view when it comes to insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jezzer wrote: »
    who is on it and whats the format?

Fast paced news and current affairs talk show presented by Chris Donoghue and Sarah McInerney. Bit more fresher format than the last word. I've even moved the dial in the morning from Ian Dempsey to Newstalk breakfast. Only stayed with Dempsey because he was someone I've watched/listened to growing up. But his show is gone really stale.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Conor Faughnan and Charlie Weston are forever on the show to put forward the consumers point of view when it comes to insurance.

Conor Faughnan hasnt a clue about motoring but is wheeled out whenever there is a motoring story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fast paced news and current affairs talk show presented by Chris Donoghue and Sarah McInerney. Bit more fresher format than the last word. I've even moved the dial in the morning from Ian Dempsey to Newstalk breakfast. Only stayed with Dempsey because he was someone I've watched/listened to growing up. But his show is gone really stale.

Conor Faughnan hasnt a clue about motoring but is wheeled out whenever there is a motoring story.

Conor Faughnan sickens my arse, your completely right, they just wheel him out (no pun intended) to do a few sound bites, nothing of substance...

Who is on the newstalk morning show? I might start tuning in, getting really tired of Todayfm now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

anyone hear gift grub this morning? mario got kimmage spot on! "i'm reading this out load because it gives me an air of authority..."

I love when he does Cooper, has his mannerisms down to a t

I love when he does Cooper, has his mannerisms down to a t

its brilliant! yes the mannerisms are perfect, the high pitched voice and how he raises his tone in the middle of a sentence, brilliant! :D

Conor Faughnan sickens my arse, your completely right, they just wheel him out (no pun intended) to do a few sound bites, nothing of substance...

Who is on the newstalk morning show? I might start tuning in, getting really tired of Todayfm now

http://www.newstalk.com/NewstalkBreakfast
    Newstalk Breakfast from 7-9am every weekday morning is a fast paced daily news and current affairs talk show which brings you all the news, sport, business and entertainment you need for your day.

Presented by Paul Williams, Colette Fitzpatrick and Shane Coleman with Vincent Wall on Business and Alan Quinlan on sport it is opinion led, full of personality and driven by listener interaction.

unusual team but worth a listen, however i just heard Colette Fitz is quitting to anchor the tv3 news...

• Advertisement

The last few mornings, I have enjoyed listening to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Conor Faughnan has carved out a niche for himself as the go-to expert on virtually any motoring topic...

... all off reading out the AA Traffic reports a couple of decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Conor Faughnan has carved out a niche for himself as the go-to expert on virtually any motoring topic...

... all off reading out the AA Traffic reports a couple of decades ago.

I'd love to see a running tally of how many times he appears on prime time radio programmes in Ireland across a week.

I'd say average is 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    I like Matt but he's cringe when he talks about Trump

If he's cringe about anything, he's cringe about sport. Cliche-ridden, negative, begrudging, hasn't a sporting instinct in his being.

Is Patrick Freyne all in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Is Patrick Freyne all in it?

Sounds like someone is tickling his balls, always about to start laughing. ...

• Advertisement

unusual team but worth a listen

Nope, it's not.

Jesus the students are bad on the quiz he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Still one of the best shows on the radio in my opinion. Cooper (while sometimes a little populist) still knows his politics and can give a good a grilling as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Many have said this already but that cringe 6 at 6 thing needs to go, just because she says "yes matt" or "thats right matt" before reading off the news in that drone of a voice does not make it sound like a real conversation

I like the 5 at 5, 6 at 6 bits.

• Advertisement

rogercross wrote: »
    Many have said this already but that cringe 6 at 6 thing needs to go, just because she says "yes matt" or "thats right matt" before reading off the news in that drone of a voice does not make it sound like a real conversation

It sounds like a father lecturing his daughter imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Disclaimer: I like The Last Word, and think Matt does a good job with it. However, some of the regular guests can really irritate, two prime examples being Jennifer Gannon (TV slot) and Nick Webb (Business). Both annoying for different reasons but, lead to the same result - me turning off the radio

rogercross wrote: »

Awwwlroight MATT!

Awwwlroight MATT!

Fing aboute Chowsea Maahh, nafink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawro when he wants to say something..... Mahh, Mahh - yes mark...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Fing aboute Chowsea Maahh, nafink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Careful now.

See that insufferable eejit nick webb is now with joe.ie whats that all about?

Awful site , More pro femiminazi , Conor mcgregor and click bait stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

agree with OP, shocking amount of ads these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

What happened to Cal's wife does anybody know? I heard Matt offer condolences to him on yesterday's show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Passenger wrote: »
    What happened to Cal's wife does anybody know? I heard Matt offer condolences to him on yesterday's show.

Passed away on Saturday. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/12/charlotte-ray-thomas-wife-of-washington-times-colu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Definitely one of the biggest spanners I've heard on radio in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Definitely one of the biggest spanners I've heard on radio in a long time.

We had at least three buckets of cash references from Nick on Monday night. Having a business news slot isn't a bad idea but like the the 5 at 5 stuff, just tell us the news and move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nick is a tremendous bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The last word has now jumped the shark...playing clips from Al porter earlier today. The end of the last word as we know it is soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

This might be a rhetorical question but what the hell is Paul Kimmages problem. He was beyond rude to Mark Lawrenson there and kept referring to him as 'Expert'. Did they have a bit of a spat?

Kimmage is just one of those individuals who is constantly mad as hell with the world. Massive chip on the man's shoulder(s) for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

It must be a massive chip to be such a toolbox on national radio. I would say Lawrenson was livid after segment finished. He didn't seem to answer Kimmage towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kimmage is just one of those individuals who is constantly mad as hell with the world. Massive chip on the man's shoulder(s) for one reason or another.

A chip on his shoulder?

More like a whole spud!

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    This might be a rhetorical question but what the hell is Paul Kimmages problem. He was beyond rude to Mark Lawrenson there and kept referring to him as 'Expert'. Did they have a bit of a spat?

Mark Lawrenson is the most sarcastic, know-it-all pundit out there. No harm at all in bringing him down a peg or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The 5 @ 5 6 @ 6 business is pure cringe, probably the idea of someone just out of college with a Morketing degree

Mark Lawrenson is the most sarcastic, know-it-all pundit out there. No harm at all in bringing him down a peg or two!

Dont forget Neil Francis - he definitely deserves that title too.

Dont forget Neil Francis - he definitely deserves that title too.

Ya, he definitely qualifies for that title too, but at least he is fairly knowledgeable on his subject matter. Lawrenson just relies on the same old tired cliches

I like Neil Francis notwithstanding the extraordinary arrogance. In fact, I'd nearly say I like him because of the arrogance!

I love the way he starts every answer he gives with a hugely condescending, "mmmh yeah..." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Francis isn't half as knowledgable as he thinks he is.

• Advertisement

Neil Francis is exceptionally knowledgeable about rugby. Boards.ie users ime not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Neil Francis is exceptionally knowledgeable about rugby. Boards.ie users ime not so much.

How do you know what any boards.ie user knows about rugby? His articles are so often about rubbish random things that comes into his head. Case in point, he wrote an article last year saying that props should be limited in weight to 120kgs and back rows 110kgs (for example). No basis for it, no scientific research behind it, he just picked out arbitrary figures out of his arse. In 2013, he also linked Jonah Lomu's nephrotic syndrome to steroid use without any basis in fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

he didn't say steroid, he said creatine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Any one get that competition question
    I just missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

The 5 @ 5 6 @ 6 business is pure cringe, probably the idea of someone just out of college with a Morketing degree

I noticed that too. I think its terrible, and sounds like a regional youth station when they do that. What's next Todays five word weather ??
    News should not be interaction between the presenter and newsreader. Its sounds all scripted between them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement