Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

I like Matt but he's cringe when he talks about Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I've been a listener since the Dunphy days and can't help feeling that the show has dropped in quality over the last year or so. The 5 at 5 nonsense has been well commented already. While I disagree with most of what Cal Thomas has to say at least he's civil, articulate and probably not a bad old sort behind it all but some of the recent right wing lunatics have been unlistenable. Ed Hayes is interesting but I don't think he'll be a regular guest.

I find Paul Kimmage overly negative. His typical report is, I was watching sport X at the weekend and couldn't help thinking they're all off their head on drugs......brain damage, crippling injuries......Lance
    Armstrong......reads a long article from the paper like a schoolboy reading his homework..... He just doesn't seem to enjoy sport

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, Kimmage is impossible to listen to. He has no credibility on any sport really so I don't get what TLW and Newstalk (IIRC) are doing bringing him in. He's very much a single issue contributor. Drugs this and that. I don't care if they're all off their tits tbh, I enjoy watching them for the most part.

He has also rubbed up pretty much an entire nation of rugby fans the wrong way with his witterings as well but to me, it's just him attempting to stay relevant after he realised not everyone has the same views he does on taking paracetamol before a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Ah now they aren't going after the 15/30 market. They are going after the 20/44 market which has always been their target market since they launched in January 1998

They are absolutely going for a younger demographic. All you have to do is look at the playlist 7am-7pm to see that. Today is a completely different animal to that which started out in 1998, they will push the envelope as much as they will get away with as far as their remit is concerned. Cooper is bringing The Last Word on a national tour of college campuses, that doesn't really scream 20-44 demo to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 morris_miner

cooper has gone ultra PC this past eighteen months or so , he used not be like that

he has become a thumping bore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 morris_miner

kimmage did good work in the past but he has the personality of an insufferable crank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I've been a listener since the Dunphy days and can't help feeling that the show has dropped in quality over the last year or so. The 5 at 5 nonsense has been well commented already. While I disagree with most of what Cal Thomas has to say at least he's civil, articulate and probably not a bad old sort behind it all but some of the recent right wing lunatics have been unlistenable. Ed Hayes is interesting but I don't think he'll be a regular guest.

I find Paul Kimmage overly negative. His typical report is, I was watching sport X at the weekend and couldn't help thinking they're all off their head on drugs......brain damage, crippling injuries......Lance
    Armstrong......reads a long article from the paper like a schoolboy reading his homework..... He just doesn't seem to enjoy sport

oh man you got it in one, particularly on Kimmage, FFS, i want sports coverage, what happened, how it happened, who played well etc, not some sour auld journalist who is going around with a chip on his shoulder, everything has to be brought back to drug taking, bad injuries and lance armstrong, give it a bloody rest (some of the time he hasnt even watched the games yet proceeds to say how dangerous it is) and then reads a "great piece" by one of his journo mates, I DO NOT WANT TO LISTEN TO A LAD READ A NEWSPAPER ON THE RADIO...they had him on yesterday to talk about his favorite subject, cheating in cycling....give me a break...

Yeah, Kimmage is impossible to listen to. He has no credibility on any sport really so I don't get what TLW and Newstalk (IIRC) are doing bringing him in. He's very much a single issue contributor. Drugs this and that. I don't care if they're all off their tits tbh, I enjoy watching them for the most part.

He has also rubbed up pretty much an entire nation of rugby fans the wrong way with his witterings as well but to me, it's just him attempting to stay relevant after he realised not everyone has the same views he does on taking paracetamol before a match.

That paracetamol thing really got on my nerves, paul o connell (our greatest ever player) got dragged into it too, a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I noticed around 2009 that Cooper started to become quite vitriolic and populist in his viewpoints and that affected his shows for me.
    I actually think is a problem with most of the "Current Affairs" programmes across Radio (and TV) at the moment. There's very little balance, and seem to be sensationalising/ campaigning for one side or the other. That's not really what I want - I want the differing opinions and make my own judgement. They're all trying to take the liveline approach to broadcasting.

I think the 5 at 5/ 6 at 6 is awful. I like the sport, including Kimmage. I like Cal Thomas and Marian, although have turned off that other shouty Trump guy the last couple of weeks.

Sahurday

• Advertisement

Paul Kimmage is on holidays hallelujah!!! I didnt have to listen to his miserable voice yesterday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I thought that Dr Rory Hanley(?) guy was Michael O'Leary giving his opinion on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think cal got matt with the bill Clinton sound bite. Matt furiously trying to compare what Clinton said add totally different to trumps aims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

jezzer wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage is on holidays hallelujah!!! I didnt have to listen to his miserable voice yesterday evening

Was Franno on to try justify the latest heroic defeat by the goys?

Was Franno on to try justify the latest heroic defeat by the goys?

franno always sounds like he is in bed

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's become a populist echo chamber. They had two people on discussing the sale of alcohol on Good Friday. Tripping over themselves condemning the law and agreeing with each other. Small bit of balance would be nice.

Not everyone thinks we need 365 days of alcohol sales.

well said, at the moment there is proposed legislation giving a lifetime ban on someone caught drink driving yet the same people seem to think we should have alcohol available 24/7 365, the hypocrisy of it all...

anyone hear gift grub this morning? mario got kimmage spot on! "i'm reading this out load because it gives me an air of authority..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The show, like many chat shows, is hosted by someone with specific point of views, dating way back to when he was involved in newspapers. Why do people expect 'balance' all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have started to listen to Newstalk on the way home, and seems much better than the Last Word

Mc Love wrote: »
    Have started to listen to Newstalk on the way home, and seems much better than the Last Word

who is on it and whats the format?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

The text messages from the public seem to be the voice of reason these days. He has the following on; the lunatic right wings and a bleeding heart liberal or two who share the same opinion...not everyone subscribes to the liberal or the extreme right pov and most of the texts prove that most want common sense ....half listening to the drug centeres yesterday and I thought he was surprised why people don't want t be near them

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The show, like many chat shows, is hosted by someone with specific point of views, dating way back to when he was involved in newspapers. Why do people expect 'balance' all the time?

Because the licence under which he is entitled to broadcast requires balance.

Notwithstanding that, every time he runs the car insurance issue, he only ever has an insurance industry person on banging on about the "cost of claims" which has been shown to be a myth.

I will be contacting the show to complain about this and failing an adequate response, I will go to the BAI over the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Conor Faughnan and Charlie Weston are forever on the show to put forward the consumers point of view when it comes to insurance.

who is on it and whats the format?

Fast paced news and current affairs talk show presented by Chris Donoghue and Sarah McInerney. Bit more fresher format than the last word. I've even moved the dial in the morning from Ian Dempsey to Newstalk breakfast. Only stayed with Dempsey because he was someone I've watched/listened to growing up. But his show is gone really stale.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Conor Faughnan and Charlie Weston are forever on the show to put forward the consumers point of view when it comes to insurance.

Conor Faughnan hasnt a clue about motoring but is wheeled out whenever there is a motoring story.

Fast paced news and current affairs talk show presented by Chris Donoghue and Sarah McInerney. Bit more fresher format than the last word. I've even moved the dial in the morning from Ian Dempsey to Newstalk breakfast. Only stayed with Dempsey because he was someone I've watched/listened to growing up. But his show is gone really stale.

Conor Faughnan hasnt a clue about motoring but is wheeled out whenever there is a motoring story.

Conor Faughnan sickens my arse, your completely right, they just wheel him out (no pun intended) to do a few sound bites, nothing of substance...

Who is on the newstalk morning show? I might start tuning in, getting really tired of Todayfm now

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

anyone hear gift grub this morning? mario got kimmage spot on! "i'm reading this out load because it gives me an air of authority..."

I love when he does Cooper, has his mannerisms down to a t

I love when he does Cooper, has his mannerisms down to a t

its brilliant! yes the mannerisms are perfect, the high pitched voice and how he raises his tone in the middle of a sentence, brilliant! :D

Conor Faughnan sickens my arse, your completely right, they just wheel him out (no pun intended) to do a few sound bites, nothing of substance...

Who is on the newstalk morning show? I might start tuning in, getting really tired of Todayfm now

http://www.newstalk.com/NewstalkBreakfast
    Newstalk Breakfast from 7-9am every weekday morning is a fast paced daily news and current affairs talk show which brings you all the news, sport, business and entertainment you need for your day.

Presented by Paul Williams, Colette Fitzpatrick and Shane Coleman with Vincent Wall on Business and Alan Quinlan on sport it is opinion led, full of personality and driven by listener interaction.

unusual team but worth a listen, however i just heard Colette Fitz is quitting to anchor the tv3 news...

• Advertisement

The last few mornings, I have enjoyed listening to it.

Advertisement