Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman who strangled her newborn daughter to death... spared jail.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

dfeo wrote: »
    I suppose female Nazis standing at the Nuremburg trials could have just claim PND then. This woman is no better than Hitler or Kim Jong Un.

Ok. Give us your comparisons between this woman and Hitler. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jawgap wrote: »
    Criminologist? psychologist? Psychiatrist? Murder Squad detective? Officer the court?

Just trying to establish the basis of your beliefs.

A person scared of having psychotic people who murder babies running around the place.

Your posts have been condescending in this thread all day so i will be ignoring you from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

infogiver wrote: »
    Ok. Give us your comparisons between this woman and Hitler. Please.

Kills innocent and defenseless people.

Does it for her own good and gratitude.

Need I continue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

mdwexford wrote: »
    A person scared of having psychotic people who murder babies running around the place.

Your posts have been condescending in this thread all day so i will be ignoring you from now on.

So? Lock up everyone displaying signs of psychosis?

EDIT: at least you seem to concede she may have suffered some form Of severe defect leading to a severe impairment and a detachment from reality (the definition of psychosis)

Criminologist? psychologist? Psychiatrist? Murder Squad detective? Officer the court?

Just trying to establish the basis of your beliefs.

No basis whatsoever. Just a prejudice against people with mental health issues which she has clearly demonstrated today that she just doesn't believe exists, and a predilection for judging everyone without hearing any inconvenient bothersome evidence first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Women with no history of mental illness apparently have a lower risk of post natal psychosis and less chance again on subsequent pregnancies after the first.

Again I don't think anything. Knowing what she planned during the pregnancy and after the birth is impossible.

I can acknowledge that doesn't sound like a plan a sane person would come up with.

If she did suffer something like thinking her baby was the devil and she had to kill them then I cannot understand how she is not ruled a danger.

But you're constantly making suggestions about what you think, while denying doing so. You suggested she might have had that plan "all along", which implies being capable of having a plan, i.e., not being insane.

Now you seem to think you know something about what form this insanity might take. Do you have any actual basis for any of these opinions, (or whatever you care to call them)?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Presumably that is because her condition is known to be closely associated with pregnancy and childbirth, so if she isn't pregnant she isn't at risk?

If a person has previously had a psychotic murder episode I find it hard to believe they aren't any possible danger to themselves or others in the future.

Have enough people done things like this and then monitored and then studies been done to show the chance of re-offending is close to zero?
    Mrs Woman wrote: »
    She didn't think her baby was the devil. You are speculating quite a bit but I understand you are upset and shocked by the case. Its a very tough one!

I just was replying to the other poster who mentioned that being a thing in cases like this.

It certainly is a sick case.

Better yet, lock up all pregnant women. Better safe than sorry, eh? :rolleyes:

Need I continue?

where is your evidence that she killed her own child for her own "good" (whatever that means) ? And what do you mean by "gratitude"? Gratitude for what?!? Gratitude towards whom?!
    Also Hitler was a mass murdering despot dictator from Austria who declared war on the World and tried to eradicate a race. This woman suffered a psychotic episode following a traumatic pregnancy and committed an act of Infanticide.
    I'm struggling to find comparisons but I'm looking forward to reading them when you point them out to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

where is your evidence that she killed her own child for her own "good" (whatever that means) ? And what do you mean by "gratitude"? Gratitude for what?!? Gratitude towards whom?!

If a clinically depressed or mentally ill man did that to his own child, would you be so quick to forgive him? I await your response.

• Advertisement

EDIT: at least you seem to concede she may have suffered some form Of severe defect leading to a severe impairment and a detachment from reality (the definition of psychosis)

Certainly lock people up who have committed psychotic murders until they are established beyond doubt of being no risk to the public.

Find it hard to take anyone serious who has 4.5k post on a cycling forum anyway.
    But you're constantly making suggestions about what you think, while denying doing so. You suggested she might have had that plan "all along", which implies being capable of having a plan, i.e., not being insane.

Now you seem to think you know something about what form this insanity might take. Do you have any actual basis for any of these opinions, (or whatever you care to call them)?

So you think she was insane from the day she found out she was pregnant?

Your reading comprehension seems to be of a very low standard. I'm trying understand what some of you seem to think was her issue here, how long it affected her and how it will affect her in the future.

You know just as little as me about whether she had a plan or not or what form of insanity she had.

If a person has previously had a psychotic murder episode I find it hard to believe they aren't any possible danger to themselves or others in the future.

Have enough people done things like this and then monitored and then studies been done to show the chance of re-offending is close to zero?

I just was replying to the other poster who mentioned that being a thing in cases like this.

It certainly is a sick case.

I mentioned that because there was a case of psychosis recently where someone thought a baby was the devil. Not sure it was the mother, mind - it may even have been someone entirely unrelated to the child. But if it was psychosis related to pregnancy and childbirth, presumably it's unlikely to be permanent.

I'm not sure where you get information about how long these episodes last though - especially as you've since said that women are less likely to have future episodes (I don't actually understand those figures BTW, perhaps you could clarify? With a source would be good too, thanks.)

But in any case we aren't being asked to decide how long she needs to be interned for, we can leave that to psychiatrists, luckily, so what you or I think about that doesn't really count does it? Unless you're have some reason to think they've got it wrong? I personally don't.

Better yet, lock up all pregnant women. Better safe than sorry, eh? :rolleyes:

Embarrassing, letting yourself down now.

Certainly lock people up who have committed psychotic murders until they are established beyond doubt of being no risk to the public.

Find it hard to take anyone serious who has 4.5k post on a cycling forum anyway.
    Nice.

So you think she was insane from the day she found out she was pregnant?
    No.
    Your reading comprehension seems to be of a very low standard.
    And again. Nice. Thanks. :rolleyes:
    I'm trying understand what some of you seem to think was her issue here, how long it affected her and how it will affect her in the future.

You know just as little as me about whether she had a plan or not or what form of insanity she had.
    As I've been pointing out to you, and you keep ignoring, the only mental health professional (afaik) who took part here seemed to agree with the jury's decision that she had a genuine but temporary mental impairment and would not have been responsible for her acts at that time. That's good enough for me.

I'm not sure what your point is here, it seems to change constantly. And of course you claiming that you don't think anything doesn't help.

I mentioned that because there was a case of psychosis recently where someone thought a baby was the devil. Not sure it was the mother, mind - it may even have been someone entirely unrelated to the child. But if it was psychosis related to pregnancy and childbirth, presumably it's unlikely to be permanent.

I'm not sure where you get information about how long these episodes last though - especially as you've since said that women are less likely to have future episodes (I don't actually understand those figures BTW, perhaps you could clarify? With a source would be good too, thanks.)

But in any case we aren't being asked to decide how long she needs to be interned for, we can leave that to psychiatrists, luckily, so what you or I think about that doesn't really count does it? Unless you're have some reason to think they've got it wrong? I personally don't.

Don't think I said that women are less likely to have future episodes did I?

We aren't being asked to decide but we can have an opinion on it. As I said above so you would be totally fine if this woman moved in next door to your family safe in the knowledge the psychiatrists have checked her out and deemed her no risk to anybody.

Fair play to you if so, braver person than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

The excuses only work for one gender. If it was the other gender there would be no excuses or understanding I can assure you.

Maybe because only the one gender carriers the baby and can have post natal depression... the woman. It is a hormone imbalance and is a recognised condition. Your argument is silly and redundant.

Nice.

No.

And again. Nice. Thanks. :rolleyes:

As I've been pointing out to you, and you keep ignoring, the only mental health professional (afaik) who took part here seemed to agree with the jury's decision that she had a genuine but temporary mental impairment and would not have been responsible for her acts at that time. That's good enough for me.

I'm not sure what your point is here, it seems to change constantly. And of course you claiming that you don't think anything doesn't help.

You two talk are posting rudely and condescending to me so I think my posts are fair.

Put in another roll eyes smiley.
    They make you looks super cool.

Don't think I said that women are less likely to have future episodes did I?

We aren't being asked to decide but we can have an opinion on it. As I said above so you would be totally fine if this woman moved in next door to your family safe in the knowledge the psychiatrists have checked her out and deemed her no risk to anybody.

Fair play to you if so, braver person than I am.

If you think the mentally ill are all locked up in mental hospitals you are very wrong. A friend of mine's child minder had a psychotic episode and took my friend and her baby hostage in the child minder's house they had to be rescued by police and emergency services. Well she'd have let my friend go but she wouldn't let her have the baby, so my friend was too terrified for her baby, as you can imagine.

Turned out she was schizophrenic and had stopped her medication. Medical confidentiality meant parents thinking of leaving their children with her weren't informed of her (supposedly under control) mental health issues.

So yes, if I had to choose I'd much rather live next door to someone who had a pregnancy-related psychotic episode which only put her own child in danger.
    But the truth is that nobody will ask you your opinion who you want next door. So better just get used to that. :)

If you think the mentally ill are all locked up in mental hospitals you are very wrong. A friend of mine's child minder had a psychotic episode and took my friend and her baby hostage in the child minder's house they had to be rescued by police and emergency services. Well she'd have let my friend go but she wouldn't let her have the baby, so my friend was too terrified for her baby, as you can imagine.

Turned out she was schizophrenic and had stopped her medication. Medical confidentiality meant parents thinking of leaving their children with her weren't informed of her (supposedly under control) mental health issues.

So yes, if I had to choose I'd much rather live next door to someone who had a pregnancy-related psychotic episode which only put her own child in danger.
    But the truth is that nobody will ask you your opinion who you want next door. So better just get used to that. :)

God that must have been traumatic. Bizarre things like that aren't disclosed to potential employers for a position like that. Surely she wouldn't have passed Garda vetting with a history of mental issues.

But if you had the choice you wouldn't live next door to anyone with psychotic issues.

That's true, I'll have to get a big detached house in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You could say that about any crime
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You could say that about any crime

Judging by the outcome, it wasn't considered a crime.

• Advertisement

God that must have been traumatic. Bizarre things like that aren't disclosed to potential employers for a position like that. Surely she wouldn't have passed Garda vetting with a history of mental issues.

But if you had the choice you wouldn't live next door to anyone with psychotic issues.

That's true, I'll have to get a big detached house in the middle of nowhere.

It wasn't down south so I don't know what would happen there, but here it seems that medical confidentiality covers it. And that German pilot who crashed his plane was also covered, so I think it's likely to be the case in most countries.

She hadn't committed a crime, see, she was just schizophrenic and on medication. So unless she's going to be banned from any job where she has contact with people her employers aren't going to be told her medical history. And if she's a registered child minder then the parents aren't told either.

The fact that she then stopped taking her medication is kind of unpredictable isn't it? But a lot of people do because the side effects are pretty nasty I gather, and because they feel fine, so they can't think they're ok.

(I didn't know any of this before my friend had her experience, btw. The odd thing is she's one of the most stressed out people I know, worries about everything - I really thought she'd have a nervous breakdown over it, but she took it better than I would have!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

After Hours is a sad sad place sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

eurokev wrote:
    How can you hide a pregnancy though? It's fairly obvious that someone is pregnant

I did it for nearly 7 months. It's not impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This case is so shocking and horrific it's almost beyond belief. This woman has another child that would be 5 or 6 years old. When she completes her 60 days treatment will she have this little child in her care? I can't believe that 60 days of treatment is enough for this woman after what she's done. I really hope she's not left in charge of her little 6 year old.

I did it for nearly 7 months. It's not impossible.

I didn't mention I was pregnant at work until 30 weeks and it wasn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

The man who killed his family in cavan and the man who killed his little girl in Cork and this "mother" who killed her new born baby are all exactly the same. They are ..........MURDERERS.

Just not true. Your absolutely wrong.
    Don't be so silly. Of couse I am right. Don't know how many times you need to hear it . But............parents who kill innocent children are murderers. Can't eloborate further as I don't want to be banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Judge must of fancied her, its the same with domestic violence these days the woman doesnt need any evidence for a safety or barring order yet theyl be handed one no questions asked. Women can litrilly get away with murder when its been proven by scientists women are more jealous nasty and calculated than men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sqo you think she was insane from the day she found out she was pregnant?

Your reading comprehension seems to be of a very low standard. I'm trying understand what some of you seem to think was her issue here, how long it affected her and how it will affect her in the future.

Not sure what my posting history has to do with anything, but thanks for taking the time to look it up......even I didn't think I'd been posting that much in the cycling forum.

You also seem to be more interested in attacking posters rather then their arguments.....is that because you can't argue on the facts so you have to resort to personal jibes?

As for your substantive point, such as it is, I'm guessing if a reputable panel of mental health physicians certified some as fit to re-enter society that would be ok, regardless of the length of their detention?

.....plus, I'm guessing that in this case the judge didn't pull the idea of rehab out of thin air, that he got it from the pre-sentencing reports and he's basing it on a clinical opinion within those reports. But I could be wrong.

Oh, and by definition, you can't commit a 'psychotic murder.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

So you're all up in arms about the outcome of a case in the UK and the fact it wasn't reported in a UK paper all because you don't accept established medical diagnosis for a well documented condition and how such conditions are viewed in a court of law and believe that this should all be ignored by the judge who must be an idiot because he didn't ?

Aren't we blessed to have such incredible intellects gracing this fabulous forum ? .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Need I continue?

Also Hitler was a mass murdering despot dictator from Austria who declared war on the World and tried to eradicate a race. This woman suffered a psychotic episode following a traumatic pregnancy and committed an act of Infanticide.
    I'm struggling to find comparisons but I'm looking forward to reading them when you point them out to us.
    The comparison is they are both murderers.

Advertisement