Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring is here.

Options

Comments

So is August the start of Autumn then.... it's the old school ways that are wrong.

Summer = June July August
    Autumn = September October November

I live in Ireland long enough to know
    November - March = winter
    April-June is spring
    July is summer in leap year, otherwise is autumn
    August - October is autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Spring traditionally starts in Ireland on 1 February. February will never be winter for me

Its dark at like 5 its so cold and wet and theres no flowers growing or leafy trees, how or why does anyone think this is spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I live in Ireland long enough to know
    November - March = winter
    April-June is spring
    July is summer in leap year, otherwise is autumn
    August - October is autumn

That's a looonnngg winter. It's no wonder the Romans called this place Hibernia.
    What's the leap year got to do with it?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its dark at like 5 its so cold and wet and theres no flowers growing or leafy trees, how or why does anyone think this is spring

Ms. Cronin told me it was in junior infants. She was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Spring is a progression, it can't have sprung all at once.

• Advertisement

Right so - based on the length of days.
    Nov 1 2016 had 9:35:53 hours of daylight
    Nov 9 2016 had 9:07:54
    Feb 1 2017 has 9:09:12
    Feb 8 2017 will have 9:33:57

For convenience we align the seasons to the beginning of the months. There is little variation in this from year to year. Its just as good a way to define the seasons as by the climate (not the weather- I remember it being 12 deg C and sunny on Christmas day one year and it being the same sometime in mid July. The only difference was the day was longer in July)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Because of "customs"...and "tradition"...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I find it hilarious that people ignore all the information given and just give a blanket statement of "well for it February is spring".

Well for me August is winter.
    Sadly, I don't define seasons, weather does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Right so - based on the length of days.
    Nov 1 2016 had 9:35:53 hours of daylight
    Nov 9 2016 had 9:07:54
    Feb 1 2017 has 9:09:12
    Feb 8 2017 will have 9:33:57

For convenience we align the seasons to the beginning of the months. There is little variation in this from year to year. Its just as good a way to define the seasons as by the climate (not the weather- I remember it being 12 deg C and sunny on Christmas day one year and it being the same sometime in mid July. The only difference was the day was longer in July)

And 1st March is over 10:35. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not at all, you can get nice warm temperatures all the way into late September, recently the end of May has been nice enough but otherwise may is a fairly ****e month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're half right. It is getting darker, yes. However 50 year temp average for August in Ireland (day and night) is 16C, for May thats just 11C.

And besides, August is a summer month, May isnt. Doesnt get much more summery than a summer month eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I'd like to think winter is over but I'm not quite so sure.

And 1st March is over 10:35. What's the point?

I don't know anymore. It's hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Spring is here? Oh, goodie!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Spring has sprung when the Bumble Bees return in numbers. I'd say being a Bumble Bee is some buzz.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You're half right. It is getting darker, yes. However 50 year temp average for August in Ireland (day and night) is 16C, for May thats just 11C.

And besides, August is a summer month, May isnt. Doesnt get much more summery than a summer month eh?

A summer month where it's almost dark at half 8? Get outta that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

red ears wrote: »
    Its hard to argue November isn't winter in this country and its hard to say August isn't summer.

Our seasons feel like they fall in the middle of months.

Winter - Mid Nov to Mid Feb.
    Spring - Mid Feb to Mid May.
    Summer - Mid May to Mid Aug.
    Autumn - Mid Aug to Mid Nov.

That's right. In fact the festival of imbolc (brighids day) used to be midway between Dec 21st and March 21st prior to the arrival of Christianity and more importantly roman months. That's not much later than Feb 1st this year (3rd but can be the 4th) but Samhain would be on the 6th November on 2017.

Not quite mid Feb or Nov.

It's 9:22 pm sunset, twilight ends at 10:03 on August 1st in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The sun doesn't even go below the horizon until after 9 pm in August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

Spring has sprung when the Bumble Bees return in numbers. I'd say being a Bumble Bee is some buzz.

We have been stuck in winter for at least 10 years so because them buzzers don't return in numbers at all these days

• Advertisement

The sun doesn't even go below the horizon until after 9 pm in August.

Check the sunset times foe end of august

It's 9:22 pm sunset, twilight ends at 10:03 on August 1st in Dublin.

And August 31st? :p

And August 31st? :p

August 31st is fairly close to September. Isn't it.

August 31st is fairly close to September. Isn't it.

Still in August

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Whats the need for such rigid categories?

I'd say its Winter into Spring.

May is Spring into Summer.

Would simple people get confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Tell that to the feicing rain outside O.P. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭secman

We have such a temperate climate I would suggest that the "seasons" from year to year would "move" and "blur" and "fade". No definite pattern from year to year.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

topper75 wrote: »
    By press I mean internet - people read articles from Al Jazeera, Huffington Post, RT etc. etc.

The EU wants to standardize things across their member states in so far as they can. The majority of EU territories have a continental climate. We are an outlier from that median but they will care as much as they cared when setting interest rates for a flagging Germany and a booming Ireland back in say 2005 :-). If we have always had our own ways of doing things - better stick by that. Of course belittling Irish calendar conventions isn't a secret conspiratorial objective of the EU commission, but it is worth watching where 'change' comes from especially with regard to attempts to fix that which is not broken.

This 'official' Irish body Met Eireann are paid by govt who are in turn in debt to outside interests. I don't see them becoming guardians of our traditions anytime soon.

I really don’t think Al Jazeera, RT, Huffington Post regard the change from Winter to Spring as a big news item nor do they have a major influence over Irish people’s thinking

Same as the EU: I really don’t think that the changing of seasons on Ireland is a major issue that they are trying to standardise. You are also completely wrong about the climate in Europe. The majority is not continental when you take the northern half of Europe into account.

There is nothing political in the timing of seasons.

As for Met Eireann, they are officially the official body in Ireland regarding weather and climate , so why are you using inverted commas? They are not guardians of traditions as you laughably say. They are scientists and I’m sure their work is independent from the government that you seem to think is trying to control the population via the setting of seasons.

The changing of seasons is based on Science, not traditions as you say.
    Traditions are often based on religion or superstition and are totally unreliable.

Based on that I think it’s entirely logical that seasons are based on solstices as the earth has reached a point in its orbit around the sun.

Our seasons are also gradual and merge into each other. So a flower budding in February does not mean it’s Spring nor does snow in April mean it’s Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is Spring to me. Gorse in flower, etc.

Gorse is in flower all winter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    I never realised Spring was so controversial.

Nor did I

BUT you are all wrong.

Spring of course begins on Saint Valentine's Day when the birds begin to mate and build nests..

OK I am off... far too noisy in here ;)

Advertisement