Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring is here.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It definitely still seems like winter at the moment, its went dank and dark in Galway just now and my windows are wet outside.

from what I saw of Galway city as I drove through it at 5am recently that is the norm there! Never again!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Judging from how bloody cold it was outside this evening, Spring is still some way off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

A dusting of snow this morning and a fresh cold snap in the air, feeling festive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is misleading, out of 25 stations listed here of Ireland, only 3 (Valentia, Mace and Malin) have a colder February than January, the rest it's either equal or warmerlink

For some reason, I am only seeing this now. And yes, you disapproved my point there but you did not disapprove the fact that February is one of the three coldest months of the year on average in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For some reason, I am only seeing this now. And yes, you disapproved my point there but you did not disapprove the fact that February is one of the three coldest months of the year on average in Ireland.

I am not arguing that it isn't, but rather that it is less cold than January and hence the turning point that means Spring

• Advertisement

Just walked by shops in Munich this week which advertised that their "Spring & Summer Sale 2017" was now on. The poor "spring doesn't begin on 1 February!" crowd would no doubt be twice as offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Graces7 wrote: »
    from what I saw of Galway city as I drove through it at 5am recently that is the norm there! Never again!

Driving through Galway is terrifying whatever the weather.

And lads, I don't know where the idea that Spring is not supposed to be cold is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just because there are 12 months and 4 seasons does not mean they must be split evenly.

F**k the 4 seasons, there are now 3. Autumn wasn't needed.

Spring - February, March, April, May

Summer - June, July, August, September

Winter - October, November, December, January

PARlance wrote: »
    F**k the 4 seasons, there are now 3. Autumn wasn't needed.

Spring - February, March, April, May

Summer - June, July, August, September

Winter - October, November, December, January

The past two Autumns were amazing. It was long, mild, very vividly coloured and noticeably Autumnal. The one three years back was dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The past two Autumns were amazing. It was long, mild, very vividly coloured and noticeably Autumnal. The one three years back was dull.

Autumn 2014 was not dull, in most places at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes October was beautiful, weeks of glorious mornings cycling to work

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

The seasons stay as they are, it can snow and be frosty in more seasons than winter, just as it can be sunny, warm mild and wet in winter. Its the growing and harvesting of crops and such like that is the most telling thing on seasonal outlook, not necessarily the weather.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Autumn 2014 was not dull, in most places at least.

Just my experience where I live. I thought the other poster who said Autumn wasn't needed meant it wasn't really a recognisable season in its own right. And sometimes the seasons can be like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Yay, Spring has sprung :)

Take it away there Orla ...

youtube.com/watch?v=h5D3LEjGF8A

Spring is at the moment battering on my roof and walls... gale and deluges with hail..

This morning was lovely though.. daffodils everywhere.

I heard Curlews. Spring is here.
    https://youtu.be/Ws7jH6wNKN4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I heard Curlews. Spring is here.
    https://youtu.be/Ws7jH6wNKN4

Yesterday evening and today are very springy. Still freezing this morning on bike though, but winters veil is finally lifting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'd rather that clocks went forward last Sunday in Feb.

We'd have brightness to 8pm and could be more active outdoors in the evenings for 8/12 months of the year.

It would be bright before 8am in the morning too.

What is the big hang-on until March about?

Been sitting our for a quiet hour in warm sun.. sheer bliss... a robin kept me company, and the dog of course.. watching the clouds clear the mountains..

The garden is starting to bud ; the bush by the gate is a hydrangea.. SPRING ....:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cut the lawns this evening. Ya can't bate the smell of freshly cut grass.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    I'd rather that clocks went forward last Sunday in Feb.

We'd have brightness to 8pm and could be more active outdoors in the evenings for 8/12 months of the year.

It would be bright before 8am in the morning too.

What is the big hang-on until March about?

I'd rather they left the clocks forward all the time, moving them around is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cut my lawns for the second time today. Spring is well and truly underway at this stage. Life came back to the garden at least two weeks ago. Daffodils are in full flower, trees are flowering, buds open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

topper75 wrote: »
    Spring is Imbolc to Bealtaine.
    Summer is Bealtaine to Lughnasa.
    Autumn is Lughnasa to Samhain.
    Winter is Samhain to Imbolc.

Reads like a satanic prayer. What sort of curse did you put on us you demon.

Advertisement