Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People coming into work when they're ill

Options
  • 19-01-2017 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Someone has been in work doing the dying swan all over the place for the past couple of days. Their area is not particularly busy, she will be paid if she stays off work, there will be no issue made of it. But no, she insisted on coming in, coughing and sneezing all over the place, looking all pale and miserable, and telling us all how awful she felt.

She is now out and on antibiotics, but a couple of other people who work in the same room as her are starting to feel shivery and one girl is getting a scratchy throat and generally people are annoyed that this woman didn't just stay at home out of people's way.

I understand that sometimes it can be difficult to stay at home when you're sick (won't be paid, unreasonable employer or somesuch). But in circumstances such as the above, why can't people use common sense and stay at home and not spread their germs all over the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Wasn't me I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Worst is those people who have the option of working from home but come in to spread their sick-germs on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone has been in work doing the dying swan all over the place for the past couple of days. Their area is not particularly busy, she will be paid if she stays off work, there will be no issue made of it. But no, she insisted on coming in, coughing and sneezing all over the place, looking all pale and miserable, and telling us all how awful she felt.

She is now out and on antibiotics, but a couple of other people who work in the same room as her are starting to feel shivery and one girl is getting a scratchy throat and generally people are annoyed that this woman didn't just stay at home out of people's way.

I understand that sometimes it can be difficult to stay at home when you're sick (won't be paid, unreasonable employer or somesuch). But in circumstances such as the above, why can't people use common sense and stay at home and not spread their germs all over the place?

Great sympathy. And we are raised maybe to be martyrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I think some people just don't want to wallow in the sickness and like to work though it. But I agree that for the sake of everyone else, if the option to stay out is given, you should take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great sympathy. And we are raised maybe to be martyrs?
    Well no need to be - it's not always selfless, it's actually selfish in this scenario; looking for brownie points. And surely saying they should stay in bed is sympathy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Sometimes its as simple as cant be out for more than 2 days without a doctors cert, dont have 50 quid to go see a doctor until payday. Better come in so. I've been in that spot before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The culture in many places of work is entirely hypocritical on this. On one hand it's all about "wellness" and telling people they should have stayed home and on the other sanctioning people (officially but mostly unofficially) for taking sick leave and it hurting their standing and prospects within a firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I only miss work if I literally cannot get out of bed or am admitted to hospital. I've stayed in work after passing out, I've stayed when I caught the vomiting bug, and ive gone to work and had my GP ring me with results of blood tests so serious she a) was shocked I was in work and b) ordered me to hospital straight away. I've gone in for a half day just until I could organise cover for myself after no sleep being up all night after taking a morphine tablet.

In my job, I have no choice but to go, we run our day right and everyone needs to pull their weight. In my old job I held the keys so had to be there to open and close, and deal with any problems that came up, organising rotas/cover. That couldn't be done from home.

I am the kind of person who needs to keep going. If I stop, and start feeling sorry for myself that's the last thing I need. I'm the kind of person that only responds positively to tough love. Kid gloves and sympathy leaves me feeling sorry for myself and I'll feel worse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I only miss work if I literally cannot get out of bed or am admitted to hospital. I've stayed in work after passing out, I've stayed when I caught the vomiting bug, and ive gone to work and had my GP ring me with results of blood tests so serious she a) was shocked I was in work and b) ordered me to hospital straight away. I've gone in for a half day just until I could organise cover for myself after no sleep being up all night after taking a morphine tablet.

In my job, I have no choice but to go, we run our day right and everyone needs to pull their weight. In my old job I held the keys so had to be there to open and close, and deal with any problems that came up, organising rotas/cover. That couldn't be done from home.

I am the kind of person who needs to keep going. If I stop, and start feeling sorry for myself that's the last thing I need. I'm the kind of person that only responds positively to tough love. Kid gloves and sympathy leaves me feeling sorry for myself and I'll feel worse for it.

Well it's not all about the 'kind of' person you are. Sometimes you have to think of others. I don't know what your job is, but those circumstances sound ridiculous. Is there no plan B for days when you're very ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭brevity

In truth a lot of people cannot afford to be out out sick as they don't get paid for sick days. Then of course it's 50 quid for the doctor. Someone could be down a lot of money for calling in sick.

The culture and attitude needs to change though. There is a stigma attached to calling in sick. It's totally counter productive in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Well it's not all about the 'kind of' person you are. Sometimes you have to think of others. I don't know what your job is, but those circumstances sound ridiculous. Is there no plan B for days when you're very ill?

When I'm very ill I'll be holed up in my office but that requires me going in, organising cover, cancelling and moving appointments, being available for difficult clients, complaints, orders, problems. If I'm not contagious and just unwell with my condition, I'll stay working directly with clients. I managed in my last job so it was always my problem to sort if I wasn't going in, so it was easier to go and sort it. Now I'm my own boss so I have no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In my job, I have no choice but to go, we run our day right and everyone needs to pull their weight.

Your job doesn't run the day right if there is zero contingency for someone not able to come into work for personal or health reasons.

A well managed workplace is not one where there is 100% productivity all of the time. There needs to be some additional capacity to cover for emergency situations, and to take advantage of business opportunities that may arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I don't get "sickie" people. The type that gets the flu and a chest infection and tonsillitis and a stomach bug every year without fail. And takes at least one sick day every month or two to deal with it all. And there's one of these in every office, and they grind everyone's gears for the strain they put on the whole team who have to pick up slack for them every other week.

I get sick -truly sick enough to be unable to work or do anything other than lie in bed convinced I'm dying - probably once or twice a decade. The flu last year where I couldn't eat or breathe properly and dropped a stone off my already slim frame. Took two days for that. Before that, probably tonsillitis around 2009. I'm not some super human either, I just don't succumb to a few sniffles and take the piss every other month.

I'd be more on your colleague's side tbh. The pisstaking "sickies" ruin it for the rest of us, who are ambitious and value how we're seen by our bosses and don't want to fracture trust just because there's another sick-day addict in the office who makes everyone automatically disbelieve they are actually ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wistfuleyes

If you look up the NHS website it says that you are fine to go to work (even if you have a cold)...and yes, colds are contagious. Sometimes people just have a heavy workload that needs to be done and if they aren't actually feeling incapacitated, even if they have a cold, I see no point in staying home.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Your job doesn't run the day right if there is zero contingency for someone not able to come into work for personal or health reasons.

A well managed workplace is not one where there is 100% productivity all of the time. There needs to be some additional capacity to cover for emergency situations, and to take advantage of business opportunities that may arise.
    We work on appointments and 80% of clients will only want to go to a specific staff member. So, of course if someone is unwell then they can't help that and once they call in well re organise their day, call clients to re schedule with original sick staff member or move them to another column. It was harder for me to do that because there was nobody I could ring, I was the one people would ring. You would need someone there if there was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

When I'm very ill I'll be holed up in my office but that requires me going in, organising cover, cancelling and moving appointments, being available for difficult clients, complaints, orders, problems. If I'm not contagious and just unwell with my condition, I'll stay working directly with clients. I managed in my last job so it was always my problem to sort if I wasn't going in, so it was easier to go and sort it. Now I'm my own boss so I have no choice

That's just ridiculous, of course you have a choice. No company and no job is worth risking my own health for. If I'm not contagious to other people I will try to go in but there are times I'm just no able too (granted, that hasn't happened in a very long time).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The culture in many places of work is entirely hypocritical on this. On one hand it's all about "wellness" and telling people they should have stayed home and on the other sanctioning people (officially but mostly unofficially) for taking sick leave and it hurting their standing and prospects within a firm.
    Exactly! Today is my first day in this week. I texted my manager on Sunday to tell him I'd be out on Monday,and early Tuesday got in touch to say I'd be out for another day.

I really thought I'd be grand for Wednesday but as I was getting ready to go in, I knew it wouldn't be a good idea, so I rang him. He said okay "But you know if you miss tomorrow, you'll need a doctor's cert and you'll have to fill out a 'Back-to-work form?".

I don't get paid sick days but I've carried over 20 leave days from last year (which he wants me to use up) so how about putting the 3 days down as holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Winterlong wrote: »
    Worst is those people who have the option of working from home but come in to spread their sick-germs on the rest of us.

I'm doing exactly that myself this week (WFH I mean). The downside of course is that you're never "really" off then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

If you look up the NHS website it says that you are fine to go to work (even if you have a cold)...and yes, colds are contagious. Sometimes people just have a heavy workload that needs to be done and if they aren't actually feeling incapacitated, even if they have a cold, I see no point in staying home.
    But the opening post is referring to someone who had a lot more than just a manageable cold - they ended up on an antibiotic and ultimately out sick. I don't think anyone is saying you should even stay home when you just have a mild cold.

What these martyrs don't consider too, when they go to work miserably ill and unable to be productive, is that others who pick up their illness could get even sicker - for example if they are prone to chest infections or sinusitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a tough one to gauge, how long to stay home for.
    Do I stay home with the sniffles?
    If I was coughing and hacking fair enough. In the office here we're quite good and telling someone to work from home when they're sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If you are sick just stay at home. You'll get better faster. You won't infect others. You won't annoy people with your symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you are sick just stay at home. You'll get better faster.

That's true. I find the aircon in our places definitely makes any symptoms worse when I've a cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's true. I find the aircon in our places definitely makes any symptoms worse when I've a cold

They might as well be biological weapons if there is a sick person in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Akrasia wrote: »

True but that doesn't mean that everyone's place is well managed.

My last job wasn't. I went into work in bits on occasion because I had to.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I don't get "sickie" people. The type that gets the flu and a chest infection and tonsillitis and a stomach bug every year without fail. And takes at least one sick day every month or two to deal with it all. And there's one of these in every office, and they grind everyone's gears for the strain they put on the whole team who have to pick up slack for them every other week.

I get sick -truly sick enough to be unable to work or do anything other than lie in bed convinced I'm dying - probably once or twice a decade. The flu last year where I couldn't eat or breathe properly and dropped a stone off my already slim frame. Took two days for that. Before that, probably tonsillitis around 2009. I'm not some super human either, I just don't succumb to a few sniffles and take the piss every other month.

I'd be more on your colleague's side tbh. The pisstaking "sickies" ruin it for the rest of us, who are ambitious and value how we're seen by our bosses and don't want to fracture trust just because there's another sick-day addict in the office who makes everyone automatically disbelieve they are actually ill.

My colleague was genuinely sick, not 'pisstaking'. I think people with your attitude make it very difficult for colleagues to stay at home when they're genuinely unwell, because they sense this silent disapproval and suspicion. There's a big difference between someone who calls in sick everytime they get the slightest sniffle, or because they have a hangover, and people who need to take a few days off now and again because they are genuinely ill, possibly with something contagious.

And re your comment about rarely being off work: I used to be like that (although not 'ambitious' or foolish enough to take just two days off for what was obviously a very serious bout of flu).. Then, in the past year and a half, I got three very bad sinus infections which necessitated a doctor's cert each time. I'm glad I didn't go around being judgmental about other people's sicknesses when I was fortunate enough to enjoy good health. I'd be feeling very silly now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've sent people home before because they were physically not capable of working whilst they were trying to work through illness or because it was impacting their performance.
    Also, I can sympathise because I've been there before and working through illness doesn't help get you better.

In my place, it doesn't impact them financially if they are off sick, and there is always a way to redistribute the workload. I'd always encourage to stay home and rest.....sometimes I forget that about myself and try to struggel through.

Bambi985 wrote: »

Everyone is different. If I went to work with the flu or whatever I would be absolutely useless. These days I'm more or less my own boss and the same applies. I don't understand this compulsion to turn up even if you're incapable of being there. Then of course people like to talk about it at length "my hand was just chopped off but there's no way I wouldn't go in to work"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

My colleague was genuinely sick, not 'pisstaking'.

I think you took Bambi up wrong.

It's the pisstakers who make the people like your genuine case, feel like they shouldn't call in sick. Not that you shouldn't call in sick if you are genuinely too sick too work.

I think you took Bambi up wrong.

It's the pisstakers who make the people like your genuine case, feel like they shouldn't call in sick. Not that you shouldn't call in sick if you are genuinely too sick too work.

I was assuming that until her remark that she was on the side of my colleague, which I presume meant that she thought she was right to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's really extremely difficult to work, or walk, or get out of bed with the flu. You shouldn't be going into an office with a highly contagious, debilitating illness. The 'flu' though, I.e. a mild fever and a head cold, gway ourra dah.

Advertisement