Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People coming into work when they're ill

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

We work on appointments and 80% of clients will only want to go to a specific staff member. So, of course if someone is unwell then they can't help that and once they call in well re organise their day, call clients to re schedule with original sick staff member or move them to another column. It was harder for me to do that because there was nobody I could ring, I was the one people would ring. You would need someone there if there was an issue.

It's company policy to expose clients to infection?

Don't send me your card please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Goya wrote: »
    But the opening post is referring to someone who had a lot more than just a manageable cold - they ended up on an antibiotic and ultimately out sick. I don't think anyone is saying you should even stay home when you just have a mild cold.

What these martyrs don't consider too, when they go to work miserably ill and unable to be productive, is that others who pick up their illness could get even sicker - for example if they are prone to chest infections or sinusitis.

Or if they're pregnant or immune compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Didn't feel the best Tue morning, fever by Tue night. Called in sick on Wed, stayed in bed and sweated whatever I had got out, off again today (Thur) and back in work tomorrow almost brand new.

You get no medals for going in unwell. And you just spread it. Hate folk that go around for weeks, popping vitimans thinking it will help.

Go to bed!!

If you get told that taking a day off is wrong.. Get another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If i'm out for more then a day i need a doctors cert and there's no sick pay, i can't afford 50 quid for a doctor and to miss days of pay i'm sure there's plenty of people in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sometimes you can have a cold and yet not need to be in bed and stay at home.

If everyone stayed at home in order to avoid contact with others and avoid passing on a cold then you'd have very few people working for a lot of the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

It's incredibly selfish to go into work when you're sick. You are spreading the infection and ensuring other people get it too. This can be really dangerous for people who may have a compromised immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

red ears wrote: »
    Stay at home for goodness sake, what is the big deal with everyone so work obsessed. Whats it all for really in the end.

For many people it's a financial necessity to go to work even when sick. A lot of places don't pay sick pay. First week you get no illness benefit either. Throw in a trip to the doctor and a prescription and for many people they simply can't afford to be sick. Not so much work obsessed as a financial requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I don't get sick pay either - that's life. One or two days in bed sleeping the sickness off works out cheaper than dragging your sick ass to work until you become even more sick (because of not getting that day or two of bed rest) and ultimately having to stay at home anyway, and for longer, only after having to go to the doctor and pay for an antibiotic prescription... none of which it would have come to if just one or two days were taken off work earlier!
    Sometimes you can have a cold and yet not need to be in bed and stay at home.

If everyone stayed at home in order to avoid contact with others and avoid passing on a cold then you'd have very few people working for a lot of the winter.
    But nobody said you should stay at home if you just have a cold that's so mild you are still well able to go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

But nobody said you should stay at home if you just have a cold that's so mild you are still well able to go to work.

But the OP said the girl came in for the "past couple of days" and then went to the doctor and stayed home sick.

It might take someone a few days to realise they have more than just a cold. She may have felt ok to work and then her symptoms got worse and she was figuring out whether or not it warranted a visit to the doctor and antibiotics.

Someone has been in work doing the dying swan all over the place for the past couple of days. Their area is not particularly busy, she will be paid if she stays off work, there will be no issue made of it. But no, she insisted on coming in, coughing and sneezing all over the place, looking all pale and miserable, and telling us all how awful she felt.
    This is the description though.

It's just one of my pet peeves because where I work, people are nightmares for coming in clearly too sick to be anywhere but bed, and then everyone else in the team gets sick, including sinus infections which are so difficult to shake for weeks.

It may be with the intention of not losing productivity but ultimately it's actually counter productive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

This is the description though.

It's just one of my pet peeves because where I work, people are nightmares for coming in clearly too sick to be anywhere but bed, and then everyone else in the team gets sick, including sinus infections which are so difficult to shake for weeks.

It may be with the intention of not losing productivity but ultimately it's actually counter productive.

She may have been whiny about it which op describes as a "dying swan" but a lot of people moan when they are sick even with just a cold, usually just venting. It's annoying but maybe she was trying to figure out how bad she was and was confiding in her co workers. She was sneezing, coughing, pale and looked miserable, all symptoms of the common cold. She felt able to work so she did and then when she felt she couldn't, she went to the doctor. I don't see what she did wrong tbh?

She is now out and on antibiotics, but a couple of other people who work in the same room as her are starting to feel shivery and one girl is getting a scratchy throat and generally people are annoyed that this woman didn't just stay at home out of people's way.

I wonder if the other co workers who have a "scratchy throat" and feel "shivery" and are now annoyed at the other woman for spreading it have left work immediately after seemingly diagnosing themself with same infection?

I just don't think these things are cut and dry so I wouldn't personally be judging someone who came into work sick and I've caught a really bad vomiting bug before from a coworker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I get sick -truly sick enough to be unable to work or do anything other than lie in bed convinced I'm dying - probably once or twice a decade. The flu last year where I couldn't eat or breathe properly and dropped a stone off my already slim frame. Took two days for that. Before that, probably tonsillitis around 2009. I'm not some super human either, I just don't succumb to a few sniffles and take the piss every other month.

Good for you. Others get genuinely sick more frequently than that.

Lorelli! wrote: »
    She may have been whiny about it which op describes as a "dying swan" but a lot of people moan when they are sick even with just a cold, usually just venting. It's annoying but maybe she was trying to figure out how bad she was and was confiding in her co workers. She was sneezing, coughing, pale and looked miserable, all symptoms of the common cold. She felt able to work so she did and then when she felt she couldn't, she went to the doctor. I don't see what she did wrong tbh?

I wonder if the other co workers who have a "scratchy throat" and feel "shivery" and are now annoyed at the other woman for spreading it have left work immediately after seemingly diagnosing themself with same infection?
    Maybe not immediately, because people are usually fine at the very start of an illness.

The woman described by the OP seemed ill enough to warrant staying in bed, in my opinion, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Lorelli! wrote: »
    But the OP said the girl came in for the "past couple of days" and then went to the doctor and stayed home sick.

It might take someone a few days to realise they have more than just a cold. She may have felt ok to work and then her symptoms got worse and she was figuring out whether or not it warranted a visit to the doctor and antibiotics.

No, she made it very clear that she was feeling very unwell. She was pale and miserable and obviously had more than a cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I don't get "sickie" people. The type that gets the flu and a chest infection and tonsillitis and a stomach bug every year without fail. And takes at least one sick day every month or two to deal with it all. And there's one of these in every office, and they grind everyone's gears for the strain they put on the whole team who have to pick up slack for them every other week.

I get sick -truly sick enough to be unable to work or do anything other than lie in bed convinced I'm dying - probably once or twice a decade. The flu last year where I couldn't eat or breathe properly and dropped a stone off my already slim frame. Took two days for that. Before that, probably tonsillitis around 2009. I'm not some super human either, I just don't succumb to a few sniffles and take the piss every other month.

I'd be more on your colleague's side tbh. The pisstaking "sickies" ruin it for the rest of us, who are ambitious and value how we're seen by our bosses and don't want to fracture trust just because there's another sick-day addict in the office who makes everyone automatically disbelieve they are actually ill.

Meh I'd actually recommend people taking the odd sick day off here or there just not take the piss completly. Everyone needs that odd duvet day now and again for some reason or another. Don't get so worked up about your job. You're only an asset to the company meaning your disposable. Even if you have ambitions you can still run the odd sickie believe it or not!

Below is an article that may be of interest to you.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/really-always-leave-office-time-andrew-mcgregor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'd go into work when I'm sick and throw a sickie when I wan't to go to a concert or something. Prevents anyone being too suspicious that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

learn_more wrote: »
    I'd go into work when I'm sick and throw a sickie when I wan't to go to a concert or something. Prevents anyone being too suspicious that way.

So you take the piss of the system, making it harder for genuinely sick people to take sick days, AND you go in to infect your colleagues? You sound lovely.

Advertisement