Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

The Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp is down to £46.99 the cheapest that it has ever been. I have one already & I just bought three more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TPKQ6DG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

It gives you a pretty good idea of what you can do here: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa

In my mind it's worth it just to get rid of the awful Sky Q remote alone, but other than that the best thing about it, is that you can set it up to do a series of commands with just one press on the remote, or one voice command to Alexa.

So for example launching Netflix on my Smart TV is a pain in the ass as I have to press loads of buttons to launch the Netflix app & then still choose the person watching. Now I just say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on Netflix"! Magic!

Weird i only set up a harmony activity for watching netflix via my smart tv yesterday. I originally tried to do it via ARC between the tv and amp but ended up using optical cable it was easier and actually worked. I did not know Alexa had this much control over harmony etc. I'm well tempted. I was going to wait for google home but now i'm not so sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp is down to £46.99 the cheapest that it has ever been. I have one already & I just bought three more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TPKQ6DG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks a lot, was only looking at these yesterday and said id get one when they go on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Just wondering what you find the best feature of these and what you use them for most? Assuming you have Hue lights already what are these adding?
    I was thinking that maybe bedroom where I don't have a Hue light at present might be a good use or am I as good getting more Hue colour bulbs?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have Hue lights installed downstairs and upstairs and work them with Echo downstairs and Dot upstairs. I use the Hue for a bedroom locker light and I like the wake up routine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

Thanks, I got a fella in work into Hue before Christmas and he ordered a few but this was his favourite by far. I'm going to lash it into my son's room as a night light.

duffer247 wrote: »
    Just wondering what you find the best feature of these and what you use them for most? Assuming you have Hue lights already what are these adding?
    I was thinking that maybe bedroom where I don't have a Hue light at present might be a good use or am I as good getting more Hue colour bulbs?
    Cheers

I am going to use them as lamps for my beside lockers. I'm also using two in the hall on a bookcase that are triggered by a Hue sensor.

An interesting feature is that you can set them to wake you up in the morning by gradually getting brighter.

jones wrote: »
    Weird i only set up a harmony activity for watching netflix via my smart tv yesterday. I originally tried to do it via ARC between the tv and amp but ended up using optical cable it was easier and actually worked. I did not know Alexa had this much control over harmony etc. I'm well tempted. I was going to wait for google home but now i'm not so sure

Alexa works well with Harmony now. The one thing you can't do is forward wind or rewind (your Sky Box, not sure about other devices) using voice control. It is great when you are doing stuff in the room away from the remote & want to change channel, pause etc.

The Echo Dot is every bit as good as an Amazon Echo, especially if you have a bluetooth speaker & a much cheaper option, if you are unsure about waiting for Google home.

Shred wrote: »
    Thanks, I got a fella in work into Hue before Christmas and he ordered a few but this was his favourite by far. I'm going to lash it into my son's room as a night light.

Absolutely perfect for that! Also try setting it to gradually get brighter in the morning to wake you up gently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Absolutely perfect for that! Also try setting it to gradually get brighter in the morning to wake you up gently.

The wake up routine is excellent. It actually does wake me up before my phone alarm goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Orion wrote: »
    The wake up routine is excellent. It actually does wake me up before my phone alarm goes off.

Yeah, i really love it. I have the wakeup slowly with a warm light for 15 minutes and then energize to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

I've already got a couple of bulbs in my bedside lamps but can't really use the wake up routine as my wife and I get up at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Yeah, i really love it. I have the wakeup slowly with a warm light for 15 minutes and then energize to come on.

How do you have it setting the colour? My app only lets you set the fade in time and the light.

I know I could do a custom routine for it but trying to use the wake up one as it's easier to find when I want to disable it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

matrim wrote: »
    How do you have it setting the colour? My app only lets you set the fade in time and the light.

I know I could do a custom routine for it but trying to use the wake up one as it's easier to find when I want to disable it

I have the wakeup routine on and then another seperate routine coming on to turn on the energize function.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

matrim wrote: »

I'd guess he has the wake up routine set to do its thing, then another routine set soon after to whatever particular scene he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Netgear Arlo Q security camera is reduced to 129stg. I don't know if that's an ongoing price point or a special, but seems like a good reduction on the original price + there's 7 days free cloud storage, no subscription required.

Amazon_Arlo Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Netgear Arlo Q security camera is reduced to 129stg. I don't know if that's an ongoing price point or a special, but seems like a good reduction on the original price + there's 7 days free cloud storage, no subscription required.

Amazon_Arlo Q
    Do those things require a hub to function? I see some packs with and some without. Or is it the lower end battery ones that need the hub and the wired ones can just use your own router?

Roen wrote: »
    Do those things require a hub to function? I see some packs with and some without. Or is it the lower end battery ones that need the hub and the wired ones can just use your own router?

The Arlo Q doesn't need a hub. It just connects wirelessly to your router.

There is an outdoor version (look like little pods), these require a hub, are wireless and battery powered...

The two types can be used in conjunction with each other.

If you do intend on buying the outdoor cameras, consider buying the one camera+hub and then buying additional cameras individually... The bundles seem to work out more expensive.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Arlo Q doesn't need a hub. It just connects wirelessly to your router.

There is an outdoor version (look like little pods), these require a hub, are wireless and battery powered...

The two types can be used in conjunction with each other.

If you do intend on buying the outdoor cameras, consider buying the one camera+hub and then buying additional cameras individually... The bundles seem to work out more expensive.

Cheers. Was looking at the Q for use as a baby monitor. I'm getting a bit hub heavy at home at the moment with all the gadgetry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Cheers. Was looking at the Q for use as a baby monitor. I'm getting a bit hub heavy at home at the moment with all the gadgetry!

These are not suitable as baby monitors, they are only activated on motion, and capture for 30 seconds.

Mylow wrote: »
    These are not suitable as baby monitors, they are only activated on motion, and capture for 30 seconds.

Cheers. They can't do video on demand so. I thought the wired ones wouldn't be caught by the same restrictions that the wireless outdoor ones would.
    Main reason I was looking at it was smartthings integration. Back to the drawing board.

Cheers. They can't do video on demand so. I thought the wired ones wouldn't be caught by the same restrictions that the wireless outdoor ones would.
    Main reason I was looking at it was smartthings integration. Back to the drawing board.

They can do video on demand... Check YouTube reviews for effectiveness

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm looking to pick up a Philips Hue starter kit(B22 i think is the one i'm looking for) and a Logitech Harmony Companion.

I was told to keep checking amazon for sales, but hopefully someone has spotted a bargain here? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm looking to pick up a Philips Hue starter kit(B22 i think is the one i'm looking for) and a Logitech Harmony Companion.

I was told to keep checking amazon for sales, but hopefully someone has spotted a bargain here? :)
    I think you'll find that everyone here generally waits for Amazon sales too!

I think you'll find that everyone here generally waits for Amazon sales too!

Hopefully i won't be waiting too long, after experiencing this in my sister in laws house at the weekend, i need it NOW! :)

Not exactly automation, but i've just picked one up to beef up the audio of the dot in my living room after i heard the sound quality of them over the weekend.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/aether-cone-wireless-speaker-white-and-silver-thecone-ws/version.asp

Aether Cone Wireless speaker, connects to the dot flawlessly, and the sound from it is fantastic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not exactly automation, but i've just picked one up to beef up the audio of the dot in my living room after i heard the sound quality of them over the weekend.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/aether-cone-wireless-speaker-white-and-silver-thecone-ws/version.asp

Aether Cone Wireless speaker, connects to the dot flawlessly, and the sound from it is fantastic.

Decent price (its £70 on Amazon so take no notion of the 'was €340' on laptops direct), do you know if it supports Apple Airplay? and also, does it have a 3.5mm jack input?

edit, just seen it is Airplay compatible.

They actually were 300 sterling when they came out first, i remember seeing them.

supports airplay, and it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just a note of caution:
    Word of warning. Connectivity is very patchy. Bluetooth dosn't work with some devices, sometimes it works initially and than it stops forever. Airplay is better but not without problems. Looks and sounds brilliant but it might be an expensive book stop when it stops connecting to your device.
    OK so it happened, 10 days in and now it won't connect to my echo dot or anything else! Wish I had not taken the gamble now, hoping laptop direct give me a refund!

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/aether-cone-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-latops-direct-was-300-39-95-delivery-2572299#comments

Advertisement