Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else started shopping for Christmas 2017 yet?

• 28-12-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

....... because I have!!

Lacoste Touch of Pink perfume in Debenhams was €44.00,now reduced to just over €35.
    Beyoncé Heat and Guess Dare perfumes from my local chemist, both with 20% off.

3 of my nieces presents taken care of now.
    Now's the time to start folks,with all these reductions......

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If I bought something now I'd never remember it come next December. I bought headphones and a phone case for my fiancée during Black Friday this year and when I was wrapping her presents I forgot to wrap them as I forgot I even bought them.

I guess the best idea would be to put them up where the decorations are stored so when you taken them down next year you'll spot them. We do that with left over wrapping paper and cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Loughc wrote: »

I guess the best idea would be to put them up where the decorations are stored so when you taken them down next year you'll spot them. We do that with left over wrapping paper and cards.

Or use a gift/shopping app to keep track as you buy stuff through the year!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Alicat wrote: »
    Or use a gift/shopping app to keep track as you buy stuff through the year!

I have two of those apps and I still forgot this year :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I always buy a few bits in the Boots 70% off sale! I used two at Christmas and one for a December birthday :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I keep a list of who I need to buy for in my wallet and write in as I do. I'm "behind" in my shopping, only one gift done so far for 2017!Normally I'd be in Meadows and Byrne/Carrig Donn at the sale .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I.m house bound with flu at the moment, but every year, in Easons I buy the Yankee Candle accessories, at half price. And I.d pop into a main Yankee Candle store, and get some of the Christmas Candles. I store everything in a spare wardrobe so I dont lose anything. Also buy stuff in Boots Sale, espcially the Sanctuary stuff. Very handy for birthday presents during the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I thought I was the only one ! Was eyeing up a few things in the Pharmacy yesterday ,wondering was it too early to put things into the Christmas Club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I normally don't however I might this year. I really need to some of these years start sending my own presents out even if its just a box of chocolates for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Around the first week in January last Christmas, I got the most fabulous red Santa boot, with a top/cap on it like a pile of
    Santa presents. It was about 8 inches X 8 inches. E38 down to E8. For cookies, or sweets or just as a lovely ornament. Into the wardrobe they went (I got 2) and were taken out for wrapping about 2 weeks before this christmas. I.l be on the look out again shortly....Sri..I got them in Sam McCauleys pharmacist....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I popped into an electrical store and left with €80 of indoor lights for next year, 50% off so I saved myself a tidy sum of money.I was half tempted to put them up when I got home but Mrs funnights wasn't having it:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Fair play for all those ideas for next year ! Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I hope to pick up more as I done really well last January but only have Christmas wrapping paper so far that I picked up
    Was so disappointed with the tv this year I was in my mams and she only has the basic tv so I hope to stock up on good movies throughout the year to get us by this December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I picked up a Yankee Candle Wax Burner for 7euro in Tesco yesterday. Got it home and realised that it would make a brilliant present so I've ordered another one to come with my shopping this week - it'll do for one of my aunts!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Does anyone know when boots will be having their 70% sale? I know there was a thread about it last year but I can't seem to find it to give it a bump. Thanks in advance

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    I picked up a Yankee Candle Wax Burner for 7euro in Tesco yesterday. Got it home and realised that it would make a brilliant present so I've ordered another one to come with my shopping this week - it'll do for one of my aunts!

Brilliant I went looking online after this post but I couldn't find any brilliant present Shoe Lover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

SarahLil wrote: »
    Brilliant I went looking online after this post but I couldn't find any brilliant present Shoe Lover

Ah no way! I just put "yankee" into the search bar and it came up straight away! Was delivered with the shopping last night so I've one down for 2017! Maybe they don't have them in your local Tesco? This was in Drogheda.

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Ah no way! I just put "yankee" into the search bar and it came up straight away! Was delivered with the shopping last night so I've one down for 2017! Maybe they don't have them in your local Tesco? This was in Drogheda.

Thanks ShoeLover

Picked up a soap and glory set 6 products for a teenager this Christmas for 11 euro in Boots
    Got gorgeous real leather gloves in Penneys for 5euro one pair for me and another for one of my pals as part of her present she will love them
    Picked up 30 gift tags for 50 cent in Dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought a load of presents for kids in September while over in UK , we decided we had a bit to much so a whole dustbin bag of toys went up in attick .

So yes I started my 2017 Christmas shopping last September. # tight ass bastard

I bought a load of presents for kids in September while over in UK , we decided we had a bit to much so a whole dustbin bag of toys went up in attick .

So yes I started my 2017 Christmas shopping last September. # tight ass bastard

That's not being tight that's being clever. When kids get too much they don't appreciate it. You did the right thing keeping some for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

One thing tho , I always try to think as a child when it comes to presents . the cheap presents I bought in UK were around £2 to say £5 . things like Velcro dark boards, soft ball guns games , models . The kids asked for fairly expensive presents , around 50/70 euros which they got but I was pretty 100% spot on with my gifts because they are still playing with stuff I got where as expensive ones have been already put a side .
    Buying things the whole family can participant in still seems like the best plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I'm beginning to see how much more fun children are having playing with the toys we played with when we younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I was hoping to pick up a few bits in the sales this year but unfortunately that won't happen this time.

Hope you all have fun shopping, I'm jealous :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

sarah88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when boots will be having their 70% sale? I know there was a thread about it last year but I can't seem to find it to give it a bump. Thanks in advance

It's usually the 3rd Wednesday in January so next week I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

3 Spiderman long sleeve t-shirts for my triplet nephews in Penneys yesterday at €5.00 each.
    Brings my total to 7 presents already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Bit behind on this one lol but I did start my Christmas shopping in the sales and have my mam and sister sorted and some Christmas stocking fillers for my boys ! Need to get my behind into gear and get more !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Only for myself.... aiming to have enough Christmas socks to be able to wear a different pair each day from Dec 1st to Dec 25th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I bought a present for the family.
    A 2 week holiday in the sun for Christmas, yipeee.
    Did it last Christmas too. Should have thought of doing this years ago.

washiskin wrote: »
    Only for myself.... aiming to have enough Christmas socks to be able to wear a different pair each day from Dec 1st to Dec 25th :)

I'm not far off that. I definitely have enough Christmas socks to get me through the 12 days of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

washiskin wrote: »

I love this idea :) that's my aim for Christmas jumpers / dresses hahah

Advertisement