Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else started shopping for Christmas 2017 yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just doing some online now ! Some video games on special offer in smyths for easter weekend and ali express is my new best friend! I decided to do some gift baskets again this year so have ordered my sister ( and myself ) some baking accessories from Ali. Found a silicone mould to make chocolate tea spoons for meltIng in hot chocolate and a gingerbread family set ! Will be stalking the post man now for a few weeks !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

washiskin wrote: »
    Only for myself.... aiming to have enough Christmas socks to be able to wear a different pair each day from Dec 1st to Dec 25th :)
    Ooooooh... I want to do that!! But it can be hard to find Christmas socks. Let me know if/where/when you come across some. :D

Posy wrote: »
    Ooooooh... I want to do that!! But it can be hard to find Christmas socks. Let me know if/where/when you come across some. :D

Heatons normally sell some cute ones in packs ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Posy wrote: »

I put a post up a week ago-ish that Tesco in Finglas were selling them at 68c.... there may be some left.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Santa picked up a bike in Smyths over the weekend for my soon to be 3yr old.

So excited already!! Hope she loves it :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Was on holidays in Scotland recently and saw a set of minature bottles of flavoured gin - so I bought that for my neighbour as I always struggle to find something for her, but I know she's a gin drinker.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Was on holidays in Scotland recently and saw a set of minature bottles of flavoured gin - so I bought that for my neighbour as I always struggle to find something for her, but I know she's a gin drinker.

Fair play to you if you can hold on to that til Christmas. I really admire people who can hold onto alcohol in the run up to Christmas hahhaha friends come over and my presses are raided there like a tactical assault team hahah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

Just got my son the Nintendo Switch from Santy there in Smyths today! i think them things will be like hot cakes to get on the run up to Christmas this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Depends on the type of setup/person you are really, and whether or not you have kids, so if you want to buy from now and spread it out, and have lots of folk to buy for. Good on ya if you are organised!

I don't buy presents anymore. Our family and my friends came to an agreement on that years ago. Too much shyte being passed back and forth, back and forth. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief TBH!

But I give money to Nieces and nephews, and a bottle and chocs to neighbours either side, and something really nice for my mother.

My OH and I don't do presents either. We go away somewhere nice in January instead.

Everyone is different.

I love watching threads like this, the excitement is palpable, but I'm glad I don't really have to partake. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

ive about 60% of my shopping done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

I keep an eye out in Argos, Amazon, Tk Max and the book people UK website. I will by quality items that are reduced or are good value. After Xmas I will go to the boots sale and buy sanctuary and soap and glory sets which are 50/75% off. I also go to m and s to get sets, children's toys/books for nephews and nieces. I have a lot of things put a side already for Christmas and I just need to sort these out.

I am sooo behind this year !! Need to get more organised. I'm feeling the knock on effect because we were away in may for an amazing holiday but spent most of the start of the year prepping for that. Need to get into gear before panic really sets in !

I stocked up last year in the boots sale...
    and still have stuff left over for this year!!
    Most of my xmas presents i buy on sale!! (Nike/reebok/debenhams sale)

Cheapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Just got the hubby's present there today, so I've officially started Christmas shopping!! yey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Funthalia_Love

I bought 6 of the small Yankee candle Christmas Candles in Mr Price. They are handy as stocking fillers or to bulk out other presents.

They also have a large Halloween Candle that I might buy one of.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

I bought 6 of the small Yankee candle Christmas Candles in Mr Price. They are handy as stocking fillers or to bulk out other presents.

They also have a large Halloween Candle that I might buy one of.

don't mind me asking was it a yankee candle Halloween one??

Kajemo wrote: »
    don't mind me asking was it a yankee candle Halloween one??

Yes - it's an orange glass candle - Candy Corn???

i ordered some nike bits on the sale there last week, tops for 17 euro and stuff, nice to add with a dove set that was also bought in the boots sale haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm very bad to get into early Christmas Shopping mode unless I see a really bargain.
    I have a few things on my list that I'm looking out for tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My mother in law has already bought a load of presents. She's expecting to be up to her eyeballs this Christmas with a load of family visiting so wants to have as much of a hassle-free run-in to Christmas as possible.
    I haven't stated yet but am keeping an eye out.

The 5yo is already considering her options for Santa's letter though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm way behind this year. I did get some stuff in the sales but I've been walking on crutches since a surgery at end of Feb so haven't really been able to "shop". I'm hoping to be back in action over the coming weeks and will have lots of fun catching up.

This weekend I bought large glass Cookie Jars from Meadows and Byrne for only €4.95 each!! I used to try to buy Christmas Cookie Jars but found that the recipients didn't get the use out of them and they went in the attic with the decorations!! Now I just buy plain jars and Christmasify them.

Also - and this is frightening - I bought the fruit for my Christmas Cake!! I will hopefully start the process during the week!!

Had my first child free day because Mr glitz was at home took a few days off. Used the chance to hit the shops and get a few bits for christmas. Steadily building them up this year ! Got some favourite jurrassic world sets reduced to 10 euro each and some star wars vehicles for 12.99 and some giant really study cat dump trucks and steam rollers for 7 euro each all in smyths. Lego Dimensions starter pack were 39.99 each in gamestop and almost 70 in smyths :o

I got some reebok gear in the sale, with added 20% off sale price!!

Brother sorted for xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

How am I only discovering this thread now?? :P I got nieces and nephew sorted for Christmas thanks to Next sales few weeks ago!! ;) May pick up Christmassy books for them closer to time though.... and any toy bargains I may see! :P Will need to start on hubby's soon! I have started putting together Santa's letter for myself though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've decided that my next paycheque is going to see a big ol' amazon order and that'll be me done. Thankfully I don't have too many to buy for and I'll probably make a good few foodie baskets in the week before Christmas anyway.

I can't be faffing around shops this year, I need everything bought and in before we get married, otherwise I'll be freaking out on honeymoon about bringing home presents, and just NO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have nothing bought yet but my mother asks me to oint out think the kids would like from her so on her behalf ,a sylvanian families set, a batman costume,2 out fits and that is it so far.
    I am so disorganised this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

I picked up a few board games as presents on amazon. I'd like to be organised early this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can never get into shopping to early. It really takes the buzz out of Christmas for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I can never get into shopping to early. It really takes the buzz out of Christmas for me.

:eek::eek:

Advertisement