Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

At a guess I would say its around 40 hours work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A first draft could be done over a week end. Its the editing and getting your supporters to review it that can take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Has anybody gone through or going through the Phase 1 section of the process. Unfortunately its something I have to do before moving on to Phase 2. How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭engineerfear1

I've started to put together my competency statements and limiting them to 500 words. I've looked at the two guidance documents, but it's a bit unclear as to what's expected.

There's one document entitled "Guidelines for Chartered Engineer" and another one called "Regulations for Chartered Engineer". They give different guidance notes, with the regulations document appearing to be the most comprehensive.

Is it expected to solely list out examples for each section? I was going to write it in such a manner that there would be a brief introduction for competence one through five, outlining why that competence is important etc.

The guidance lists everything as bullet points, but it's not clear if that is the format that's wanted. I currently have only 2 or 3 practical examples where I've developed each competence through my career, but if I am more concise (i.e. present it as bullet points and as a result make it read less like an essay) I could maybe fit in one or two more examples.

Has anyone any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

I have my submission ready to go but one of my sponsors feels a few photos / drawings will enhance my application and provide greater understanding to the assessors as to the type and scale of projects I've been involved in and the contributions I have made. Problem is the digital application template doesn't seem to allow the attachment of such files. Do I take it then that they aren't allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

cfosulli wrote: »
    I have my submission ready to go but one of my sponsors feels a few photos / drawings will enhance my application and provide greater understanding to the assessors as to the type and scale of projects I've been involved in and the contributions I have made. Problem is the digital application template doesn't seem to allow the attachment of such files. Do I take it then that they aren't allowed?

I'd stick to the guidelines and bring them to your interview instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Is it expected to solely list out examples for each section? I was going to write it in such a manner that there would be a brief introduction for competence one through five, outlining why that competence is important etc.

The guidance lists everything as bullet points, but it's not clear if that is the format that's wanted. I currently have only 2 or 3 practical examples where I've developed each competence through my career, but if I am more concise (i.e. present it as bullet points and as a result make it read less like an essay) I could maybe fit in one or two more examples...
    I've just come through the chartered process (successfully, on my 2nd attempt).

My read on the 5 competences is to make it mainly essay style, trying to link examples to show how you have developed during your career. Aim to tick off as many of the 'targets' as possible, e.g. have you been responsible for design decisions, have you led teams, have you negotiated... etc.

As for a short introductory paragraph, I'd say that's fine - just keep it short and point it back at yourself rather than making general statements. So "I have found communication skills to be hugely important aspect to my engineering work, especially during my work on XYZ project"

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

I have my app finalised and supporters lined up, but I am wondering what do the supporters need to do now? Do they just tick a box to say that they know me and they have reviewed and agree with my app? Do they need to log in online?(I have not submitted my app online yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

I have my app finalised and supporters lined up, but I am wondering what do the supporters need to do now? Do they just tick a box to say that they know me and they have reviewed and agree with my app? Do they need to log in online?(I have not submitted my app online yet)
    Once you submit it online your supporters will be asked to log in and approve it. I can't fully remember whether the system e-mails them a link or if you have to pass it on, but I did make sure to contact both of my supporters to ensure they had the link and were able to get it approved (because I had a slightly last minute submission).

Do the supporters need to approve it before the deadline or is that part of the submission process? I was hoping to submit it on the deadline day. Is this too late?

• Advertisement

Do the supporters need to approve it before the deadline or is that part of the submission process? I was hoping to submit it on the deadline day. Is this too late?

They need to approve it before the deadline. You need to have all the parts of the app completed including paying the fee etc. You may be okay to submit on the day provided your supporters do their bit immediately but it is rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Just got word that I have been given the title of Chartered Engineer... Delighted! Some great advice in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Anyone get word of acceptance of application for most recent deadline (June) or how long does it typically take?

I was accepted for interview yesterday - said interviews could take 6months!!

I am guessing that there is no structure to the order of responses as I submitted on deadline day. It's whenever a given assessor has had time to review and inform EI so I would imagine it may be some time yet before all applicants are notified. It's a case of sitting tight!!

I was accepted for interview yesterday - said interviews could take 6months!!

I am guessing that there is no structure to the order of responses as I submitted on deadline day. It's whenever a given assessor has had time to review and inform EI so I would imagine it may be some time yet before all applicants are notified. It's a case of sitting tight!!

Due to holidays, and other commitments, in 2014 my application was in for the January window but I have the interview until the end of November. Depends on the area you've selected as well.

Given the difference in time, it served as a good opportunity to update the interviewers on what I've done since I had submitted the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

Any further updates from anyone regarding being called for interview? I was accepted for interview back in early July.

Out of interest does anyone know what sort of notice do you normally get of the interview date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

cfosulli wrote: »
    Any further updates from anyone regarding being called for interview? I was accepted for interview back in early July.

Out of interest does anyone know what sort of notice do you normally get of the interview date?

I was accepted last year in July and wasn't interviewed til November. Had a few weeks notice alright and a small selection of suitable dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Hi all,

Have interview coming up in few weeks, some great advice here.

Quick question for those of you who have already done the presentation, if the interview is across a table, and the panel are seated, did you do your presentation seated or standing? Seated would seem to be best, so as not to be standing over them, if using visual aids on the table?

burly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have interview coming up in few weeks, some great advice here.

Quick question for those of you who have already done the presentation, if the interview is across a table, and the panel are seated, did you do your presentation seated or standing? Seated would seem to be best, so as not to be standing over them, if using visual aids on the table?

Seated and across a table. I brought in a folder of items to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GaaNuts100

Had my interview a month ago and found out I was successful 10 days later. I hadn't much prep done so I was a bit worried but it was a very informal interview. Sat down for the presentation. Was asked questions throughout so it was more like a chat. The time flew. They more or less said I was successful at the end. Delighted.

• Advertisement

Might be a silly question but is it a good idea to tell your employer before going for your chartership interview? I'm concerned that if I tell them and don't get it first time around they may think negatively about my ability!

Might be a silly question but is it a good idea to tell your employer before going for your chartership interview? I'm concerned that if I tell them and don't get it first time around they may think negatively about my ability!

I didn't mention it to my current employer when I was going for it (both times), but a friend added it to the site weekly newsletter when I got it so that everyone knew. I didn't get it first time around and it was just me and my supporters who knew. Each to their own.

Hi all

I have my interview upcoming in a week's time and will be doing it via Skype (I am now based outside Ireland). Has anyone completed via Skype? I suppose the initial 10 minute presentation will be different i.e. difficult to show PowerPoint or printed boards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Work paid for me to do it. No pressure on at them time (other than the redundancies there were going around) so it was good to get it. Probably only reason I kept my job at them.

If you think telling people would put pressure on you dont tell people.

Found out two weeks ago that I did not pass the interview stage. Disappointing, but I guess I just didn't sell myself on the day. Everything I wrote in the report was accurate, but I musn't have been able verbalise it very well.

I'm guessing they will tell me to apply again in two years. I may have been premature with my application and ultimately was my downfall. What is really getting to me is that I have yet to tell my co-workers, who expected me to pass without a problem. I was told the pass rate is so high, and that I was an ideal candidate, I was therefore a shoe in. I certainly didn't go in cocky, as this isn't my persona, so I'm not really sure where I went wrong. I was well prepared, but perhaps my presentation wasn't up to scratch as I just summarised my work career to date.

There's no point in questioning it I suppose, as the decision has been made.

It honestly has me reconsidering engineering as a career path. If after so many years of hard work, poor pay and sleepless nights I'm still not fit to call myself "competent" it's a worrying sign.

Found out two weeks ago that I did not pass the interview stage. Disappointing, but I guess I just didn't sell myself on the day. Everything I wrote in the report was accurate, but I musn't have been able verbalise it very well.

I'm guessing they will tell me to apply again in two years. I may have been premature with my application and ultimately was my downfall. What is really getting to me is that I have yet to tell my co-workers, who expected me to pass without a problem. I was told the pass rate is so high, and that I was an ideal candidate, I was therefore a shoe in. I certainly didn't go in cocky, as this isn't my persona, so I'm not really sure where I went wrong. I was well prepared, but perhaps my presentation wasn't up to scratch as I just summarised my work career to date.

It honestly has me reconsidering engineering as a career path. If after so many years of hard work, poor pay and sleepless nights I'm still not fit to call myself "competent" it's a worrying sign.

I'm in the same boat. I just found out that I also did not pass the interview. I'm extremely disappointed and trying to fathom where it went wrong. I felt the interview went well and similar to yourself feel like I have worked extremely hard since graduating and demonstrated progress throughout that meets and exceeds the competencies. I will await feedback but it is very demoralizing.

I've been there - it sucks. I was told as I walked out of the first interview that I did quite well, so to not get it was a shock. But once the shock faded, I looked at the feedback given and retailored my report and interview prep to demonstrate my skills better. So don't worry too much, there's always next year.

Dónal wrote: »
    I've been there - it sucks. I was told as I walked out of the first interview that I did quite well, so to not get it was a shock. But once the shock faded, I looked at the feedback given and retailored my report and interview prep to demonstrate my skills better. So don't worry too much, there's always next year.

The feedback usually gives you a time line for reapplying

godtabh wrote: »
    The feedback usually gives you a time line for reapplying

Recommended timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Ah no, I'm sorry to hear that but I most certainly wouldn't go as far as saying you can't call yourself competent and to change career over something like this is a bit much. What difference would being chartered make to your everyday life? The work you will be doing will hardly radically change.
    cherrytaz wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I just found out that I also did not pass the interview. I'm extremely disappointed and trying to fathom where it went wrong. I felt the interview went well and similar to yourself feel like I have worked extremely hard since graduating and demonstrated progress throughout that meets and exceeds the competencies. I will await feedback but it is very demoralizing.

Sorry to hear this as well. I think a lot of it could possibly be down to the peers who interview you on the day and what they are expecting to hear, or so I've been told by some recent applicants in my office.

I plan on going for it in January after a masters and close to five years experience. At first, I felt that I would just apply and see how I would get on after a pretty varied career at home and abroad but now that I have put a bit of effort into the report I'm beginning to get pretty invested in it. I can imagine that means I wouldn't take rejection particularly well but I certainly feel competent and I doubt I would feel otherwise if my application was unsuccessful. Nor should either of you for that matter.

Sure let's see how it goes...

Advertisement