Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great run today pity about them few sec, but great improvement. Well done on pb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Excellent pb! You're almost there! I'd highly recommend Clonliffe's Xmas Cracker for your next stab at it. It's a lovely course and if the weather plays ball, you'd have a great chance of getting your sub 20 and there'd be loads of good runners around your time. Well done yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going J - some similarities in my race. Sounds like I started a bit behind you, had HA in sight for a good while, and like you was trying to keep in range. I was passed by a Samsung shirt on upper Glen, possibly same guy. Tough luck on the straight, maybe he's a xc guy though, a legitimate block! You'll get it soon enough, matter of time!

Well done, Murph d and WW; I had no idea I was so many people's marker / pacer! 😀ðŸ႒🻠14 sec PB for me - delighted. My first uncontroversial sub-20 (19.48) (and I know it's practically all downhill so I hope it still counts!)

I loved it. I didn't know how I'd feel as I've had a cough for a few weeks, but I just thought I'd give it a lash and take each kilometre as it came, rather than worrying about the ones ahead. It was perfect weather and a perfect course, so I felt if I didn't break 20 there I just wasn't ready to. My previous pb's were 20.03 in Rathfarnham in 2015 and 20.02 in Malahide parkrun earlier this year; I'd say if you pick the right race you'll get from 20.03 to sub 20 much quicker than I did.

I did the Reindeer Run 10k in Marlay today and felt wrecked! The drags at the top of the park felt like Everest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done, Murph d and WW; I had no idea I was so many people's marker / pacer! 😀ðŸ႒🻠14 sec PB for me - delighted. My first uncontroversial sub-20 (19.48) (and I know it's practically all downhill so I hope it still counts!)

I loved it. I didn't know how I'd feel as I've had a cough for a few weeks, but I just thought I'd give it a lash and take each kilometre as it came, rather than worrying about the ones ahead. It was perfect weather and a perfect course, so I felt if I didn't break 20 there I just wasn't ready to. My previous pb's were 20.03 in Rathfarnham in 2015 and 20.02 in Malahide parkrun earlier this year; I'd say if you pick the right race you'll get from 20.03 to sub 20 much quicker than I did.

I did the Reindeer Run 10k in Marlay today and felt wrecked! The drags at the top of the park felt like Everest!

That's brilliant HelenAnne! Congrats on the new pb!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I did Clonliffe's Xmas Cracker a good bit faster than Jingle Bells last year (though the weather conditions were atrocious at Jingle Bells), it's a reasonably fast 5k alright. I'm sure you'll nudge over pretty soon anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done WW, congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks a million for all the good wishes! Feels great being back in the game, although the DOMS hit big time Sunday and Monday :eek:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Bit of HTFU over the first half of the race and you had it, taking over 30 secs off your PB coming off marathon training is great going, be proud of yourself, well done.

Cheers! Getting used to racing at that speed again took some adjusting. Now I know I have the time in me, I can go after the next one with more confidence. More speedwork with the club should help.
    There's a very flat 5K in the PP on New Years day, can't remember the name of it, Tommy Byrne something? Tang?? Anyway, massive well done on your PB, the sub 20 is there for the taking especially with some speed work in the legs. Great to catch up with you yesterday too :)

Thanks, congrats on the PB yourself! I have that race on my radar all right. I'm still hoping to get sub 20 this year rather than next, but if that's what happens I'll still celebrate it just the same :)
    Nice going J - some similarities in my race. Sounds like I started a bit behind you, had HA in sight for a good while, and like you was trying to keep in range. I was passed by a Samsung shirt on upper Glen, possibly same guy. Tough luck on the straight, maybe he's a xc guy though, a legitimate block! You'll get it soon enough, matter of time!

Good to know, D! I've plenty of XC on the cards in the New Year. I reckon I'll run at least five or six of those races between now and March; club as well as BHAA. Think I need to get the old GAA shoulder charges working again!
    denis b wrote: »
    Absolutely no doubt that the sub 20 can be done this year on the right course. Might be worth checking out a favourable Parkrun course. Do report.

Thanks Denis, I might have mentioned before (maybe not on this log though) that for a period in 2015 I'd run all the Dublin parkruns. As far as chasing a time goes, I haven't run Father Collins yet, so that might be one to try in this regard.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Great run today pity about them few sec, but great improvement. Well done on pb.

Yeah I'm feeling more relaxed and less diva-esque about the whole episode now; these things happen, it's great that we're able to do them. Nice couple of runs yourself lately.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Excellent pb! You're almost there! I'd highly recommend Clonliffe's Xmas Cracker for your next stab at it. It's a lovely course and if the weather plays ball, you'd have a great chance of getting your sub 20 and there'd be loads of good runners around your time. Well done yesterday!

Yes indeed, great shout on that one! I haven't run it before, but it's become a definite possibility. Minding myself for the couple of days beforehand might not be so easy though :) still, it's on the list for now.
    HelenAnne wrote: »

Thanks H, I was certain when we were lining up that you'd run sub-20 already; I'd forgotten that it was in the GT5k. Well done on cracking it for sure this time, and fair play on completing the back to back!
    Singer wrote: »
    I did Clonliffe's Xmas Cracker a good bit faster than Jingle Bells last year (though the weather conditions were atrocious at Jingle Bells), it's a reasonably fast 5k alright. I'm sure you'll nudge over pretty soon anyway!

Getting there B, so close! I still haven't made it onto the 10 round numbers table, still got a chance though!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done WW, congrats on the PB.

No worries, the PB I set in May bettered one that had stood for nearly two years (20:46, Malahide pr, June 2014) so when you view it like that, it's a lot more positive!

After last week's PB, this week has been a step back (as opposed to a setback).

Mon 5/12 - Fri 9/12 (inclusive) No running.

College Monday & Tuesday. I'd planned to head out on Wednesday, but when I got home from work I felt absolutely whacked, so for a change I listened to the body and stayed in. Nothing on Thursday, due to some real life stuff which meant I wasn't home till going on 10 PM. Friday was our work Christmas night out, which entailed lots of eating and drinking. Running out of excuses here?!

Sat 10/12 - Porterstown parkrun

Having not even done a stretch since last Sunday, it was time to get the runners on again, regardless of last night's gallivanting. At least I got up and out; numbers for most if not all the Dublin parkruns, our own included, were down considerably. Needless to say, this morning there was no chance of me going after the sub 20.

With this in mind, I got into what I couldn't even describe as a comfortable pace, slow enough as I was. For the first two laps, I'd the leading lady following close behind; a BHAA regular, who's run a few of the parkruns here as well. One of the young lads was coming back to me on the second lap, and I briefly entertained the crazy notion of going after him in the last spin. 14:40 with a lap to go.

To be honest, I was totally bunched, and I couldn't be bothered to even try to respond as my chaser made her move early on lap 3. The last lap was a sufferfest; thankfully I was so far ahead of the next lad, that there was no realistic chance of me losing any more places unless I stopped altogether. Finally I got over the line in a time of 22:16, first in my age category :eek: and 9th overall.

Positives: Hot chocolate at the finish
    Getting up and actually doing this
    Progress made overall this year. Looking back through my times, it wasn't until early January until I beat my time from today on this course. I'm getting there! Next week should see me getting back into it again, with hopefully another sub 20 assault next Saturday.

Sun 11/12 - 4 miles @7:42 p/m

For a long time, it looked like this would be another non-running day. Two more Christmas parties left me feeling very delicate, to say the least. However, I finally got it together shortly after 6:30. I don't normally run after dinner, but tonight it was a necessary evil. I kept up a nice pace here, all things considered. Typing this now I feel much better, partially cleansed after putting away so much alcohol and junk food the last few days. Next week will be better, I promise :D

Mon 12/12 - 5 miles @7:52 p/m

I had a day off work yesterday, so it was a chance to go for a bonus run of sorts. The plan was to run from the house to Porterstown, four laps of the tarmac there, and then home. It didn't quite work out that way.

Coming towards the end of my second lap, I'm coming up the hill when I see two women with five dogs between them. I moved onto the grass to try and dodge around. The biggest one took exception to my manoeuvring, and decided to bark her head off going for me. Funnily enough, after she'd been calmed down, one of her pals decided to try and follow me on my merry way (a Cavalier King Charles).

I love dogs, but unfortunately some of their owners can be very ignorant of runners. It wasn't like I was coming towards them at a superfast pace! And in fact, the ones with the 50 foot leads are the worst, because you can't always see the lead if it's dark, and sometimes the owners make no attempt to shorten it, even though they can see you coming towards them for ages.

Anyway. I decided I didn't want a repeat encounter in another five minutes, so I left Porterstown and headed out to the 2 mile or so loop around the outside of Tír na nÓg, the Carpenterstown shops, through the middle of Riverwood and back around before turning in through the estate to home. I was happy with my pace here, and overall a good outcome for a dark and dreary Monday morning in December.

Times are approximate, as the stopwatch wiped them before I got around to writing this.

Half mile plus to the start of the first lap: 4:45
    Lap 1: 8:11
    Lap 2: 8:15
    The rest: 18:05

• Advertisement

Tue 13/12 - Rest.

Wed 14/12 - Rest. I had considered going Wednesday & Thursday, but with a back to back planned for the weekend, maybe the right decision was made?

Thu 15/12 - 5 miles @8:04 p/m

Similar 5 miler to the previous late night ones in recent weeks. Much quicker than previous attempts, without feeling under too much pressure. I even threw 5 100m strides in for good measure.

Fri 16/12 - No running

I've been fighting a head cold most of the day and night. So frustrating. I had planned a parkrun sub 20 attempt to start off the weekend, but now I could be struggling to be fit enough for the 6 mile XC on Sunday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I've been fighting a head cold most of the day and night. So frustrating. I had planned a parkrun sub 20 attempt to start off the weekend, but now I could be struggling to be fit enough for the 6 mile XC on Sunday :mad:

Hope you're feeling a bit better today ? You know yourself you're better off letting a cold run its course and getting rid of it and wait until you're fully fit to race.

Where's the XC on Sunday ? 6 miles sounds tough!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today ? You know yourself you're better off letting a cold run its course and getting rid of it and wait until you're fully fit to race.

Where's the XC on Sunday ? 6 miles sounds tough!

Thanks G, yes the fog is clearing, slowly but surely! Briefly this morning I had the mad idea of getting up and heading over "Sure I can just shuffle around. No pressure to put in a time or anything!" Then I turned over, and when I woke up again it was 9:30 :D

I remember a few years ago insisting (against my wife's wishes) that I was able to do the Fat Turkey Run. This was in spite of me coughing and spluttering constantly for 2-3 days previous, and all the way across in the car. It's a tough enough course as it is, even in the whole of your health. Not an experience I ever want to repeat.

XC tomorrow is in Porterstown Park. It's an annual event which my club (MSB) stages usually the Sunday before Christmas. I've never run a XC race as long as this before, but thankfully it's a handicap race. Should be a bit of craic anyway :)

Sun 18/12 - Doyle Cup XC, 6 miles, Porterstown Park

As outlined, this is an annual club handicap race. I shook off my head cold and shuffled up to Porterstown, before covering one of the 1.5 mile laps for a recce. Conditions were as good as you could expect for the time of year; beautiful sunshine and no wind, although there were one or two sticky spots.

There were maybe 5 or 6 adults away ahead of me, and two lads starting with me. On the first lap, GQ was behind me for a mile or so, with the other lad dropped. Then GQ overtook me on the flat section at the bottom of the park and pulled away (he finished 3rd overall).

By the end of lap 2, I'd caught all the adults who started ahead of me. However, I wasn't aware that there were loads of kids running too. Kind of disheartening when loads of them start passing you in rapid succession? (although good for the future of the club if they stick with it!) JC passed me early on the second lap, and I thought, well that's it in the bag for him. I didn't know till afterwards that he would have had to lap me! I was finding it heavy going in the last two laps, and maybe 10/12 more of the adults caught me, with me not passing anyone back apart from a few kids.

AMK caught up to me with about half a mile to go, but even with him having run a marathon only three weeks ago, I wasn't going to try and go with him. Instead I tried to catch a lad around my standard who passed me earlier in the lap. That didn't work either, although I did pick up the pace in the last 400, to the extent that I kept one of our faster ladies at bay as I crossed the line.

Time came in at 44:03; middle of the pack (of course!) but not bad for my longest ever XC race. Best comparison is my effort at a 5 miler in ALSAA in February. That was a race run in heavy rain in bottomless ground. Even so, I barely cracked 40 minutes. Shocking. I'm much happier with this performance, although Jingle Bells took more out of me, strange as that may sound? It was good that I took part anyway, because I have a lot of XC planned in the early weeks of 2017, and the runners certainly looked like they hadn't been aired in a while when I took them out of the bag this morning :o Well organised by the club, and hopefully I'll be fitter and faster for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done, never ran XC always sounds tough and have idea I would struggle
    around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sun 18/12 JC passed me early on the second lap, and I thought, well that's it in the bag for him. .

Good of him to come out and race given it's his busiest time of year n all :D (I'll get my coat...)

Well done! glad to see you've a few more XC lined up for the new year, they are tough physically and mentally but IMO you can not beat a XC race, the team work, the camaraderie and ultimately the physical benefits far outweigh how hard they can be :)

As an aside I still haven't made it to porterstown PR and won't now until next year but it's high on the 2017 to do list..

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done, never ran XC always sounds tough and have idea I would struggle
    around.

Cheers, no hassle! I highly recommend that you at least give XC a try. You never know, you might even find it more enjoyable than road races, parkruns and what not. The Dublin Masters is on January 8 in St Anne's Park. If you're of that vintage, no better time to get involved. BHAA also have a few decent XC races in the New Year.

Do it now,
    Discover how,
    Do it now

Good of him to come out and race given it's his busiest time of year n all :D (I'll get my coat...)

Well done! glad to see you've a few more XC lined up for the new year, they are tough physically and mentally but IMO you can not beat a XC race, the team work, the camaraderie and ultimately the physical benefits far outweigh how hard they can be :)

As an aside I still haven't made it to porterstown PR and won't now until next year but it's high on the 2017 to do list..

Thanks AM, I've kind of missed the old XC scene. I've four on the list (two Masters, two BHAA) in the first few weekends of 2017. You're welcome to Porterstown any time!

Mon 19/12 - 3 miles+ in 8:59 p/m

I can't help thinking I undersold myself yesterday, as the legs certainly don't feel like they went through a 6 mile XC race. I suppose it's difficult to judge how hard to push when (a) you haven't run that far in XC before, and (b) just over an illness.

Anyway, I went back to Porterstown this morning, for a couple of laps of the tarmac path this time. Half mile plus jog from the house to the start of my first lap in 5:08. Lap 1 in a gentle 8:44. I decided to pick up the pace a bit for the second one, and 8:21 was the result. A little bit quicker going home too (4:46).

I'm not quite ready to put away the runners for 2016. I'm still chasing a sub 20 5k in 2016 (fingers crossed!) this time in the Porterstown parkrun on Christmas Eve. If I get this, I'll probably take on the Fat Turkey Run on the 28th (unfinished business there!) If not, it'll be a shot at the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker 5k on the 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Cheers, no hassle! I highly recommend that you at least give XC a try. You never know, you might even find it more enjoyable than road races, parkruns and what not. The Dublin Masters is on January 8 in St Anne's Park. If you're of that vintage, no better time to get involved. BHAA also have a few decent XC races in the New Year.

Do it now,
    Discover how,
    Do it now

I'd say KennyG might have no choice -- Raheny like to have a good showing at the Masters so everyone has to do it, cross country fans or no! :):):eek:

Quick update.....

Tue 20/12 - Rest.

Work today and college tonight. It was the last night of the semester, although the next batch of assignments will occupy a fair chunk of my time over the holidays. Didn't get home till about 8:45, so no running.

Wed 21/12 - 4 miles @7:36 p/m

Partly a guilt run, but I'm delighted with how it turned out. With the week that's in it, there's been an unreal amount of sweets, chocolates, cake etc etc going around in work. Do you think I managed to steer clear of the carnage? :D All self inflicted, I admit!

Anyway, to the run itself. This was two laps of a loop around the estates beside home. I got up to a pretty decent tempo on the second lap, and in fact I reckon it's the fastest I've ever run that loop. Not always easy with walkers, road crossings and so forth, but encouraging if I decide to go full tilt in the parkrun on Christmas Eve. Forecast is poor, and in all probability I'll have a few after work socials on Friday. So we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Quick update.....

Tue 20/12 - Rest.

Work today and college tonight. It was the last night of the semester, although the next batch of assignments will occupy a fair chunk of my time over the holidays. Didn't get home till about 8:45, so no running.

Wed 21/12 - 4 miles @7:36 p/m

Partly a guilt run, but I'm delighted with how it turned out. With the week that's in it, there's been an unreal amount of sweets, chocolates, cake etc etc going around in work. Do you think I managed to steer clear of the carnage? :D All self inflicted, I admit!

Anyway, to the run itself. This was two laps of a loop around the estates beside home. I got up to a pretty decent tempo on the second lap, and in fact I reckon it's the fastest I've ever run that loop. Not always easy with walkers, road crossings and so forth, but encouraging if I decide to go full tilt in the parkrun on Christmas Eve. Forecast is poor, and in all probability I'll have a few after work socials on Friday. So we'll see :)

I'd imagine most of us are guilty of self inflicting carnage this time if year. It's really difficult to resist.

The best of luck with the pb attempt Saturday if you go for it.

• Advertisement

"It's the most wonderful time of the year"

Thu 22/12 - 5 miles@8:18 p/m

Happy with the performance here, even though I felt very heavy after working my way through more goodies during the day. I threw in a couple of strides, although not as many as intended; every time I intended to pick it up, it seemed someone appeared on the path ahead. Even so, I felt good at the end; a bit tired, but no niggles.

Fri 23/12 - Rest

Finished up with work for the holidays at lunchtime, and then I was out for a few friendly socials, coming home at a reasonable hour :)

Christmas Eve - Porterstown parkrun

At one stage, I had visions of chasing a sub-20 here. However, it was a very windy morning, and between that and Friday afternoon's beverages, I decided that it would be foolish to go after it today.

With this in mind, I started off somewhere in mid division, working my way past people when the gaps opened up; no point in trying to force my way through. I passed a guy on the hill passing Castleknock Celtic's clubhouse on the first lap, and that was more or less it really. With the next group over 100 metres ahead (probably 200-250 by the finish) I ran alone for the second and third laps. 22:11 and a 10th place finish, for what it's worth. I enjoyed the treats afterwards nonetheless, which today included mince pies and (non alcoholic) apple cider. Everyone was in great form, and there was an excellent turnout (76) for the day that was in it.

I've signed up for the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's Day. In the meantime, I'm still undecided whether to run the Christmas Cracker 5k on Tuesday (chasing a sub-20) or the Fat Turkey Run on Wednesday (for the craic really) or neither. Sure those things will take care of themselves in time; it's Christmas :D

Thanks for all the help and advice and for reading my fledgling log. Hopefully it'll be more beneficial to me and others in 2017.

Nollaig Shona agus Athbhliain faoi mhaise oraibh. Go mbeirimid beo ag an am seo arís!

J.

Summary of my latest running activities amidst the festivities....

Christmas Day - Waterstown parkrun

It turned out that I had just about enough time to make the short hop to Palmerstown, and renew an old parkrun acquaintance. With it being the only parkrun taking place in Dublin that day, there were quite a few tourists in attendance on an unseasonally warm (13 deg C!) but very windy morning.

I found a spot somewhere in the middle, and although I made more of an effort than the day before, I still had plenty in the tank at the end. Two younger lads who I'd passed on the first lap passed me back on the hill up from the far bridge on the second lap. Did they think I was racing them or something? :D Even so, it's one of the tougher Dublin parkruns, and going up the steep hill gentle incline (into the strong wind!) at the end gave me a nice little push to finish off the run. 21:54 was satisfactory considering the day that was in it.

St Stephen's Day - 4 miles @ 7:51 p/m

I was thinking of running one of the GOAL miles in Porterstown, but we were out and about in the morning and early afternoon, so that didn't happen. I tipped around the estates for a few miles in the evening to work off some of the Christmas Day excesses, having decided not to go to Santry for the Christmas Cracker race.

Tue 27/12 - Rest

No running, having decided to give the body a break. I had intended to go to the Fat Turkey Run on the 28th. I thought I could just turn up and register on the day, but after checking it again I discovered that it was online only and the registration period had expired. Ah well, maybe next year!

Instead, I went to the pub with a friend of mine, to watch the Reds come back from a goal down to run Stoke City ragged. We were in such a good mood afterwards that we decided we might as well stay behind for the darts. Lovely stuff.

Wed 28/12 - 5 miles @ 8:44 approx.

I headed up to Porterstown for an early morning spin, thankfully not affected too much by the previous night's pints. 4 laps at about 8:30 average did the job.

Thu 29/12 - 4 miles @ 7:43

I didn't feel too great running this, having not waited long enough after breakfast. The usual two laps of the estates loop was enough for today.

Time to draw the curtain on my running year....

Fri 30/12 - Rest

New Year's Eve - Porterstown parkrun

As I'm down to run the Tom Brennan 5k next year tomorrow, I decided to start at the back for this one. Looking ahead, after I'd waddled along for a quarter of a mile, I could see it was a very weak lineup, so I decided I'd have a bit of fun. Great to just pass people for the fun of it while making little or no effort :) On the second lap I was up to fifth, and closing in rapidly on the two lads ahead (yellow top and orange top) much to the horror of today's RD, a clubmate of mine :eek:

Anyway, I could have pushed ahead and got third any time I wanted, but even with the handbrake on, I eased past yellow top. Orange top was practically stopping going up the hill on the last lap, but I just dropped my pace to match his. Keeping the main thing the main thing, and all that :)

Fourth place in a time of 22:24, after an exercise in discipline more than anything else.

Ag Féachaint Siar/Looking Back

Overall, I'd have to say 2016 was a very good year for me from a running point of view. Although I didn't reach any of my goals (as outlined on another thread), I got new PBs from 5k up to the marathon, and my first year of concentrating on running and being part of a club has been very productive.

My favourite race of the year has to be DCM. Finally having got to run a marathon in my home city for the first time was an incredible experience. I was (still am) so happy that I got over my injury problems to line up, as the challenge of the course and the support we got was absolutely amazing. Other highlights included running the Connemara Half through gale force winds and hailstones in freezing temperatures, but what a beautiful setting to do it! Also a mention for the BHAA track races in Trinity in June. Perfect weather, and a fantastic atmosphere for me to get one of my first modern day experiences of short distance, racing with lads my own standard. Wings For Life gets a mention for the novelty value; even if I was racing it I'd have found the heat and the hills really tough.

In total, I had 57 timed runs in 2016.

5k - 36, mostly Porterstown parkrun. Pb at start of the year was 20:46; this was beaten in my 50th parkrun in May (20:36). Jingle Bells brought another improvement to 20:03.

5 miles - Three attempts on the road and one XC, best was BHAA Dunboyne 35:24, no PB this year.

10k - Three of these. Fingal 10k brought a PB of 43:32, beating my 43:56 from the ARC Mini Marathon 10k going all the way back to 2013.

10 miles - New PB of 1:14:13 in the Brian Boru on Easter Monday. Frank Duffy was six seconds slower.

HM - Four of these, although Clontarf (summer) and Wings For Life were for the craic really. I got a new PB in the Race Series HM (1:37:30).

Marathon - 3:49:01 in DCM. What a day. PB by nearly half an hour.

Other - The aforementioned Trinity races (1000 yards and 2000 metres), plus a paced mile in ALSAA (6:11) and a few XCs.

Ag Dul Chun Cinn/Going Forward

2017 is a year where I'm looking to make a lot more improvements across the board, starting with my first sub 20 tomorrow in the Tom Brennan. XC will dominate between then and the end of January, when I hope to beat a long standing PB in the Raheny 5. I'm planning to run a half marathon in March, and after taking a break for exams in April, I hope to come back strong and train for DCM 2017, provided I stay fit and healthy and all the other supports are in place.

Thanks again for reading. Happy New Year!

J.

New Year's Day - Tom Brennan Memorial 5k, Phoenix Park

Short version - A thundering disgrace of a performance.

Long version - Read on, if you must?

Pre Race

Following on from a narrow miss at my last sub 20 effort (20:03, Jingle Bells) I was feeling confident at nailing sub 20 today. A flat course, even allowing for the wind being in our faces on OS Road, gave me a good chance of achieving this goal. I ran a lap on my own with the layers having got there early, and then another with clubmates having ditched the creature comforts.

Lap 1

I thought I got a reasonable kick off the start line, letting a sub 19 chasing club colleague crack on. However, another clubmate (also chasing sub 20) caught me before we'd even turned onto OS Road, and I knew even at that stage the game was up. scotindublin and tang1 (who I was looking for beforehand but didn't catch) eased past me shortly beyond the 1k mark, lest I was in any doubt that I was scoobied. I had next to zero resistance to anyone who tried to pass, and even though I went under the finish gantry in 9:15 I knew I was f@cked.

Lap 2

A girl who's run our local parkrun (former course record holder) cruised past me along the full Furze Road stretch. If I was in any doubt that I was stuffed, this cleared up everything. Don't get me wrong, she's a very good runner; but if I'm tuned in and on form I should beat her. I passed one guy on the second windy OS Road stretch. However, in our scheme of things, it was nearly impossible not to pass him. In other words, whatever about me blowing my lights early on, he was ten times worse. I thought I might have a bit of puff in me once we turned back onto Chesterfield, but that didn't happen either. Maybe 5 or 6 other guys passed me between there and the finish. Probably not helped by my reaction once I turned the corner and saw 20:20 on the clock. Basically, whatever about before, I couldn't give a fiddlers, and came over the line at nearly walking pace in 21:02 (20:59).

Aftermath

I haven't been as p!$$3d after a race in a long time. I targeted this one, it didn't go to plan, and I gave up. Strong performances from clubmates didn't really soften the blow. However I was fortunate enough to bump into Marthastew on the way out, who reminded me that (among other things) sometimes we can have bad days as well as good.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing that this happened. It certainly gave me a major reality check in terms of what I'm doing in relation to training etc. XC the next two Sundays could be interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Unlucky today, as MS said we all have rubbish races, you have it out of the way now, onwards & upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play for even targeting a New Year's Day race for a PB - better man than me! Do you think you prepared well in terms of sleep/diet/drink etc.?

Tough morning but don't dwell on it. It will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

All done and dusted take what you can from it and get back on the horse.

That sub 20 is coming!

tang1 wrote: »
    Unlucky today, as MS said we all have rubbish races, you have it out of the way now, onwards & upwards.

Hope you're right B. Thanks for the kind pacing offer. Even if I had found you beforehand, I don't think I'd have been able to keep up...
    Fair play for even targeting a New Year's Day race for a PB - better man than me! Do you think you prepared well in terms of sleep/diet/drink etc.?

Tough morning but don't dwell on it. It will come.

I could at least say that it was a course PB, beating my 21:45 from 2015. Little did I know that it would be my fastest 5k that year.

In relation to prep, sleeping was never a strong point anyway, and the other two probably not much different to most people running? NYE was fairly sedate in our house. Not much time to mope around anyway, with XC on the menu very soon.
    All done and dusted take what you can from it and get back on the horse.

That sub 20 is coming!

Lessons learned indeed C. Well done you! Joining a club is clearly bringing dividends even at this early stage. I won't be racing 5k again for a while, unless there's a weekend where I can do some parkrun tourism to one of the faster tracks.

Mon 2/1/17 - 3 and a bit miles in 27:55

Time for some recovery work on the Porterstown tarmac. Even though it wasn't a long one, it was still tough after yesterday's race. Added to that, I was back home on Sunday afternoon for the start of my GAA club's centenary celebrations, and a fair few pints were had. Throw in some junk food at the end of it, and you had a very chunky looking Boardsie making his way around today.

Half mile plus to Porterstown - 5:03
    Lap 1 - 9:08 :eek:
    Lap 2 - 8:45
    Back home - 4:56

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hey J, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself, no ? Anyway onwards and upwards to XC where time doesn't matter :D

• Advertisement

Maybe so, given that I didn't really factor in the wind, and also I'm several pounds heavier than I was for JB. But enough for a difference of a minute?

I actually had DNF demons from very early on yesterday. I was parked between the little roundabout and Castleknock Gate, and on the first lap I was more than a small bit tempted to turn left instead of right, which would have meant me pulling into the driveway while 90% of the participants were still out on the course!

Anyway, glad I stuck it out and maintained my DNF rate of 0%. Love your comment about XC! Time means nothing, positions mean everything :D all about trying to catch the guy (or girl) in front, but of course you know they're trying to do the same. Looking forward to my next three weekends racing XC, with the Raheny 5 to close out January.

Advertisement